IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 10:10 AM
IssaV8
Intermediate

Received 417 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just to be clear guys the $2,200 in Port Installed options does not ALL goto the dealerships..

If it’s part of the MSRP they just get the incremental %, like the car itself.

Just wondering did anyone see or grab the MSRP..?? I’m curious as to how many PIO items were added..

Joe Z

Plus 10k ADM

Edit: looks like it's $1375 in accessories, I must have crossed my notes with another dealer. The 10k is correct however

Last edited by IssaV8; 01-05-22 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Adjust
The following users liked this post:
Carolina50 (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 10:20 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ despite all this, accessories should still be optional. I understand the administration fee by the dealer, however, imagine going to buy a TV and they force you to buy a stand, buy cleaning products for the TV, a package of 100 batteries for the remote control, etc. That just boggles my mind but maybe its because again, i am in Canada where accessories are just that, something a customer has the opportunity to buy if they so chose. Are they forcing you guys to buy Lexus ballcaps and T-shorts too?!
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Carolina50 (01-05-22), IssaV8 (01-05-22), jororo (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 10:29 AM
V8ISGreat
Rookie

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
Hopefully they spend $12,300 on the promotional videos & staff labor in their attempt to fleece an extra $12,200 out of what could have been a long-term loyal customer.
They definitely didn't spend any money on the music. I thought I was watching Beverly Hills Cop for a minute there
The following 2 users liked this post by V8ISGreat:
jororo (01-05-22), Nvicta (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 10:51 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by IssaV8

Plus 10k ADM

Edit: looks like it's $1375 in accessories, I must have crossed my notes with another dealer. The 10k is correct however
Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ despite all this, accessories should still be optional. I understand the administration fee by the dealer, however, imagine going to buy a TV and they force you to buy a stand, buy cleaning products for the TV, a package of 100 batteries for the remote control, etc. That just boggles my mind but maybe its because again, i am in Canada where accessories are just that, something a customer has the opportunity to buy if they so chose. Are they forcing you guys to buy Lexus ballcaps and T-shorts too?!
Mark up

Gotcha.. Yes those are good options and installed at the port by Technicians who basically treat the cars with white gloves when installing all the equipment / accessory options..

I would love to see if the trunk sill will say “Lexus - IS 500”.

These I can deal with, but would never go into the forced dealer installed options which are heavily marked up..

At least the PIO items are correctly priced & Lexus controlled..

Eventually owners who did not get these parts on their IS 500’s can order them over the counter at their local Lexus dealership parts dept or your favorite oem online websites.

Joe Z
Old 01-05-22, 10:58 AM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Not always. You might eek out a little bit more value by waiting for the late model years but there's always an opportunity cost no matter which way you go. By waiting, the trade-offs might be (1) you won't get to enjoy the car during its debut year(s) when it turns the most heads including your own and (2) if you're financing, you won't pay the car off sooner in your lifetime. Consider a scenario where the sooner the car is paid off, the sooner someone can use their $ for something else, like a larger house that they couldn't afford now due to income restraint or likewise couldn't afford a large house payment + IS500 payment in 3 years.

I understand in the year 2030 and beyond that a 2025 IS500 will be worth more than a 2022 model, but if you can afford this car in the first place that is a marginal amount (maybe $8,000 max all else being equal) of your total net worth. Maybe you get a better suspension or maybe you get a HUD, maybe both. But is that really worth waiting 3 years of your youth?

Now if the 2022 model year turns out to be a dud, like it burns oil, then yes, you saved yourself a world of headache by waiting. Let's hope that's not the case.
Whenever there is a really good car models coming to the market, there will be a sudden increase of demand at the very beginning, which will give people an impression that it is scarce and hard to get. However it will cool down a couple month later. I do not see any exception in my lifetime (unless that car model product line is truly limited to a handful units which are already be spoken for well before the public announcement, for example the Bentley Bacalar).

The most recent example is the Durango SRT Hellcat, it is limited production and FCA clearly said it is only one model year run and will be discontinued forever. Initially every unit has been booked and seems it is very hard to buy one, but for now look what happened? There are tons of new Durango Hellcats in inventory and you can easily buy one with any color/options combination you like. Yes it is still limited production and very collectable, but now you can easily buy one. The IS500 will follow the same route.
The following 3 users liked this post by felixcat:
Brandonfu (01-05-22), lobuxracer (01-06-22), wthrman2 (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 11:24 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Nice to see the face behind the legs (lol)
Sheeshhh. My girl's legs aren't that wrinkly lmfao
The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
Carolina50 (01-05-22), wthrman2 (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 11:34 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by felixcat
Whenever there is a really good car models coming to the market, there will be a sudden increase of demand at the very beginning, which will give people an impression that it is scarce and hard to get. However it will cool down a couple month later. I do not see any exception in my lifetime (unless that car model product line is truly limited to a handful units which are already be spoken for well before the public announcement, for example the Bentley Bacalar).

The most recent example is the Durango SRT Hellcat, it is limited production and FCA clearly said it is only one model year run and will be discontinued forever. Initially every unit has been booked and seems it is very hard to buy one, but for now look what happened? There are tons of new Durango Hellcats in inventory and you can easily buy one with any color/options combination you like. Yes it is still limited production and very collectable, but now you can easily buy one. The IS500 will follow the same route.
I dont know anything about the Hellcat but you're right. EXCEPTTTTT we now live in crazy times and will car prices ever come back to normal? Probably but what if they don't? Let's say things stay the same way forever. A IS350 used costs more than it was when it was new, as is the case with most used cars purchased new in the last 2 years or so.
The following 3 users liked this post by macmaster:
Brandonfu (01-05-22), V8ISGreat (01-05-22), wthrman2 (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 11:49 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by V8ISGreat
They definitely didn't spend any money on the music. I thought I was watching Beverly Hills Cop for a minute there
More like Beverly hillbillies lmao
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Carolina50 (01-05-22), Nvicta (01-05-22), V8ISGreat (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 12:21 PM
V8ISGreat
Rookie

I dont know anything about the Hellcat but you're right. EXCEPTTTTT we now live in crazy times and will car prices ever come back to normal?
When supply meets demand of course, but that could be a couple years. I noticed Ram has now joined Nissan by selling vehicles online. How long will it be until all manufactures are doing this? It is possible that dealers will never have the kind of stock/supply they had in the past, and online ordering will be the new normal
The following 2 users liked this post by V8ISGreat:
Brandonfu (01-05-22), wthrman2 (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 01:13 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

I dont know anything about the Hellcat but you're right. EXCEPTTTTT we now live in crazy times and will car prices ever come back to normal? Probably but what if they don't? Let's say things stay the same way forever. A IS350 used costs more than it was when it was new, as is the case with most used cars purchased new in the last 2 years or so.
On a related note we are in a low interest, high inflation environment (a paradox that makes my undergrad finance degree even more worthless than it already was). Can always wait a few years to buy, but at that point the MSRP could be 15%+ higher solely due to inflation pressures and/or your interest rate could be 8-12%, either of which would be a kick in the giggleberries for waiting. Not saying that's going to happen but historically, outside of purely commodity goods, post-inflation prices don't really recede back to pre-inflation prices. See years 1974 and 1980.

I do think we're technically paying a mild premium for being early adopters, but as you mentioned given the environment being able to buy an in-demand new car at MSRP is a good position to be in, especially when others are paying above new MSRP for used cars. Any premium also becomes less important if you're planning to keep this car for the long term, as I am.

This is a solid car with components that have all proven to be very reliable. Very rare, a unicorn of sorts, especially with the EV takeover on the horizon.

Last edited by jororo; 01-05-22 at 08:22 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jororo:
Brandonfu (01-11-22), V8ISGreat (01-05-22), Vitveet (01-07-22), wthrman2 (01-06-22)
Old 01-05-22, 02:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by IssaV8

Plus 10k ADM

Here's a good thing with the port installed accessories, they're warranted to 4 years/50k with the Lexus Basic Warranty.
Old 01-05-22, 03:01 PM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

As long as we sell our old car and buy a new one at the same time, we will be "immune" to the auto market fluctuation. Used car's market trend is highly correlated to the new car market, the premium you "earn" from selling your old car will offset the premium you pay on the new car.
flipside909 (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 06:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by felixcat
As long as we sell our old car and buy a new one at the same time, we will be "immune" to the auto market fluctuation. Used car's market trend is highly correlated to the new car market, the premium you "earn" from selling your old car will offset the premium you pay on the new car.
When there was a large inventory of new cars, your savings was on the discount of the new car, while your trade didn't yield much. In this market, new cars are selling at MSRP, but the equity is now in the vehicle trade. In many cases, the equity in the trade is greater than the discount given at invoice or below on new cars (and with incentives).
The following 2 users liked this post by flipside909:
FH212 (01-06-22), V8ISGreat (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 07:59 PM
Velobrew
Driver

Received 175 Likes on 45 Posts

69,7k out the door

The following 12 users liked this post by Velobrew:
Carolina50 (01-05-22), Compromise (01-05-22), DaveGS4 (01-06-22), DLPTony (01-06-22), drawg22 (01-06-22), FH212 (01-06-22), flighthalo (01-06-22), flipside909 (01-05-22), IssaV8 (01-05-22), jororo (01-05-22), V8ISGreat (01-05-22), wthrman2 (01-06-22) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-05-22, 08:16 PM
V8ISGreat
Rookie

Originally Posted by jororo
On a related note we are in a low interest, high inflation environment (a paradox that makes my undergrad finance degree even more worthless than it already was). Can always wait a few years to buy, but at that point the MSRP could be 15%+ higher solely due to inflation pressures and/or your interest rate could be 8-12%, either of which would be a kick in the giggleberries for waiting. Not saying that's going to happen but historically, outside of purely commodity goods, post-inflation prices don't really recede back to pre-inflation prices. See years 1974 and 1980.

I do think we're technically paying a mild premium for being early adopters, but as you mentioned given the environment being able to buy an in-demand at MSRP is a good position to be in, especially when others are paying above new MSRP for used cars. Any premium also becomes less important if you're planning to keep this car for the long term, as I am
Really good points.
Brandonfu (01-11-22)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance