IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-21, 09:31 PM
Nvicta
Pit Crew

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Compromise
What's everyone who's interested in the IS500 also cross-shopping with? There really isn't anything that is 400+ HP in this price-range, but the main competition I'm assuming is: BMW M340i, Audi S4, MB C43 AMG, Acura TLX Type-S, and Cadillac CT5-V. If the IS500 is just too overpriced (dealer markup) or too hard to get, what's the next go to? I'm personally looking at the TLX Type-S.
I’m a Toyota faithful so it’s the sedan spectrum extremes for me. Push to the Fivehundo v8 or bust and try the 2018+ camry hybrid LE and wait for an IS opportunity down the road.
Old 05-07-21, 10:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

What's everyone who's interested in the IS500 also cross-shopping with? There really isn't anything that is 400+ HP in this price-range, but the main competition I'm assuming is: BMW M340i, Audi S4, MB C43 AMG, Acura TLX Type-S, and Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing. If the IS500 is just too overpriced (dealer markup) or too hard to get, what's the next go to? I'm personally looking at the TLX Type-S.
The M340 is over 400hp...it's just underrated by BMW. The Type S looks pretty cool. Definitely check it out. The other car you could look at is a Model 3 Performance since you live in California. It's only $58k and pushing about 520hp.

I would still pick an IS500 over any of the other cars though.
Old 05-08-21, 05:11 AM
KineticU
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's everyone who's interested in the IS500 also cross-shopping with? There really isn't anything that is 400+ HP in this price-range, but the main competition I'm assuming is: BMW M340i, Audi S4, MB C43 AMG, Acura TLX Type-S, and Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing. If the IS500 is just too overpriced (dealer markup) or too hard to get, what's the next go to? I'm personally looking at the TLX Type-S.
Instead of cross-shopping similar body types, I am cross-shopping with other Lexus models, mostly the RC F and GS F. With the rise in electric cars and increasing regulations pertaining to fuel efficiency/alternative fuels, the next car I buy very well may be the last gas-powered vehicle I own. A Lexus n/a v8 is like one last hurrah. I want to keep said car for as long as possible, and although BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and Caddy make very nice looking cars (except the new BMW grill design), I wouldn't want to own one long term due to repairs/reliability.

Unfortunately, Toyota's sportier cars don't even run Toyota motors (Supra = BMW, 86 = Subaru), defeating the #1 reason to own a Toyota (solid reliability).

Hopefully the incoming TT v8 will move current n/a v8 used car prices down, including the RC F, GS F, and even the LC500.
Old 05-08-21, 09:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I'm not cross shopping with anything.

As for the TLX Type S, it's nice but V6 vs. V8. No contest.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (05-08-21)
Old 05-08-21, 10:24 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

not cross shopping. after having to sell my ISF, I was waiting for either the successor or another Lexus V8 in a small sedan body, or getting into a used 991.2 carrera or carrera S at some point. but used 911 prices are absurdly high and my wife was strongly suggesting against it, since we still have two boys who will need to fit in the back.

no interest in BMW bc of reliability worries, as my next car will be my last ICE hurrah which I intend to keep for a while as everything becomes electrified. love Audi's, esp the RS6 avant but Audi's burn too much oil, same w/ my Macan. Acura, eh. don't want another V6. the Caddy is too big for my tastes. soooo, don't really have a plan B; all my eggs are in the IS500 basket.

I did speak to two other large socal dealership GMs and got on their respective waiting lists, no deposit necessary. they told me me they will absolutely NOT mark up the prices, but only for the LE. they said the IS500 is "not that kind of car." the GM for the larger dealership said he suspects they will probably get 1-3 cars per month and if there are any Lexus incentives going on, this car will qualify for it. who knows if they were 100% truthful or not but I felt much better after speaking w/ them and to hear about their respective no price gouging policies.
The following 2 users liked this post by cremaster:
Compromise (05-08-21), SeanSkiVT (05-18-21)
Old 05-08-21, 10:38 AM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 511 Likes on 182 Posts

Not cross-shopping the car with anything other than a used GS-F at this point, I don't want another turbo car after my current one. The only thing the TLX has that is interesting to me is the active exhaust which I wish Lexus would make as an option on the IS500
Old 05-08-21, 11:25 AM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

Haha! Everyone here pretty much a Lexus/Toyota loyalist. I'm also hoping I can get the IS500 for that nice NA V8 and Lexus reliability. Minor gripes from the IS500 is that it won't have memory seats and a HUD.
Old 05-08-21, 11:59 AM
Squischer
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not quite sure why everyone dogs BMW's reliability. I have driven M cars for over 20 years, putting 100k miles on two of them, and the only non scheduled services I have needed were the rod bearing recall on the E46 and an Oxygen sensor on the E90...........
Old 05-08-21, 01:03 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Squischer
I am not quite sure why everyone dogs BMW's reliability. I have driven M cars for over 20 years, putting 100k miles on two of them, and the only non scheduled services I have needed were the rod bearing recall on the E46 and an Oxygen sensor on the E90...........
I admit my statement is not qualified by personal experience. and my father in law, a long time BMW fan, swears by them and have never had any issues w/ them. I'm going by what I've read on other forums from other owners and friends who have owned them. all cars have issues and I get that generally speaking, people come on forums to complain about issues; they rarely come to praise their cars, to say 'oh, yeah, my car is great, no issues!' so, those anecdotes of reliability may represent only a small fraction of the total cars out there.
Old 05-08-21, 01:08 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by cremaster
I admit my statement is not qualified by personal experience. and my father in law, a long time BMW fan, swears by them and have never had any issues w/ them. I'm going by what I've read on other forums from other owners and friends who have owned them. all cars have issues and I get that generally speaking, people come on forums to complain about issues; they rarely come to praise their cars, to say 'oh, yeah, my car is great, no issues!' so, those anecdotes of reliability may represent only a small fraction of the total cars out there.
Not to go too far off-topic, but... From what I understand, a lot of BMW's issues are silly little plastic things breaking or not-so-uncommon issues like water pumps. Pretty par for the course for any German brand (not the least of which, VW which I own). Just got the wife a BMW so really hoping it's reliable!

Seriously tempted by the idea of this car, really. I always said, "All the IS needs is more power", and Lexus is giving us that in a big way.
Old 05-08-21, 01:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Squischer
Because cost of ownership is a lot more than their Japanese counterparts.
Old 05-08-21, 01:56 PM
Squischer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
Because cost of ownership is a lot more than their Japanese counterparts.
Hmmmmmmmmm. IF you keep em for 10+ years, indeed. They do come with no cost maintenance for 4 years, although it may be 3 now? So it's a lot closer than one might think.
But back on topic, I cannot wait for this car to come out. Really looking forward to it!!!!! A sweeeeet NA hi output V8 in a great lookin package - gimme that all day long!
Old 05-08-21, 02:30 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Only interested in the IS 500.

The competition listed above doesn't appeal to me at all.
DLPTony (05-08-21)
Old 05-08-21, 02:34 PM
Squischer
Driver School Candidate

^^^^^^^^^^ agreed!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-08-21, 04:21 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by flipside909
You will want the NAV for two reasons. It's a 10.3" diagonal touch screen and Apple Car Play and Android Auto look better on it.
In the immortal words of a famous space doctor: "Dammit Jim!" :-D
flipside909 (05-10-21)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance