IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 04:25 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by cremaster
I would love to custom order mine and would wait 4-6 months for it if possible but not sure with the limited production if this will be an option. my perfect build would be black w/ red interior, sunroof delete, no nav and w/ the LE BBS wheels. my only other thing is I want to sell my current car before the factory warranty expires. there are some common, very expensive issues w/ the Macan that I'm not willing to gamble owing w/o a warranty and there's no way I'm paying for any extended warranty. I think the Porsche one is $7k for 3 yrs or something absurd like that. third party warranties exist but they either don't cover much or are just as pricey. that means I need to punt my car around this time next year.
I agree 100%, I'm willing to wait the 4-6 months to get what I want. I'm not interested in the Launch Edition, so hopefully it'll afford me some wiggle room. We'll see at the end of summer.
The following users liked this post:
cremaster (05-08-21)
Old 05-08-21, 04:32 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Compromise
What's everyone who's interested in the IS500 also cross-shopping with? There really isn't anything that is 400+ HP in this price-range, but the main competition I'm assuming is: BMW M340i, Audi S4, MB C43 AMG, Acura TLX Type-S, and Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing. If the IS500 is just too overpriced (dealer markup) or too hard to get, what's the next go to? I'm personally looking at the TLX Type-S.
Oh noooooo....I'm not cross-shopping anything, Lexus is the only brand that speaks to me. Astons used to be in the mix, but that was before the LC500 made its appearance. :-D

If I can't get the IS500 with the color choice I want, then I'll stick with what I have. My '16 350 FSport RWD is a stunner and just crossed 41K miles. My default setting is CPO, but I'll make the exception for the 500. If that doesn't work out, then maybe in a few years I'll get a '21 350 FSport DHP.
Old 05-08-21, 10:38 PM
roastpuff
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

What's everyone who's interested in the IS500 also cross-shopping with? There really isn't anything that is 400+ HP in this price-range, but the main competition I'm assuming is: BMW M340i, Audi S4, MB C43 AMG, Acura TLX Type-S, and Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing. If the IS500 is just too overpriced (dealer markup) or too hard to get, what's the next go to? I'm personally looking at the TLX Type-S.
So here's what I'm cross shopping against - I know it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense but these are the cars that are really interesting me at this time:
  • Lexus IS500 - who can say no to a naturally aspirated V8, especially since it seems like they're going to die out in this segment in the near future? Plus Toyota/Lexus reliability, resale, and build/fit/finish. I am willing to sacrifice practicality, space and AWD for a NA V8.
  • Genesis GV70 - it's one heck of a sharp-looking car. Genesis seems to be a brand on the rise, they're building a reputation for a good-looking, well-equipped and reasonably-priced vehicles. If I'm not going to get a V8, why not have the practicality of a SUV?
  • BMW X3 M40i - yes the mid-cycle refresh is coming in the 2022 model year, but the current 2021 model (even a used 2020 CPO!) is still a very competent, spacious, SUV, with a killer powertrain. It is actually probably faster than an IS500 to 60MPH thanks to BMW underrating their engines plus AWD combined with the ZF 8-speed.
  • Volvo V60/S60 T8 Polestar Engineered - I've always had a soft spot for Volvo, and Volvo wagons especially. They have a gorgeous design inside and outside, and the plug-in hybrid part is nice. Would definitely look for a CPO version and add the extended warranty though - people report that they have a lot of problems. Gold Brembo brakes, Ohlins suspension... yes please!
  • MB C43 AMG Wagon - being in Canada I do have an option not available to the Americans, and this is one that has me thinking really hard. However, the creaky Mercedes build quality does give me pause, and not sure if I would be okay with the older infotainment and not the new MBUX system.
The Acura TLX Type-S fails for me in one regard - it's a larger vehicle with the space of a smaller vehicle. There's too much wasted space there that I cannot overlook. And the engine is merely "okay" in my regard. If it's not at 400HP (because the Germans are, even though the power level they're claiming is 380HP or so) then it will be too slow to compete. I think that the RDX Type-S will be of more interest to me because it's a SUV with more usable space. The M340i - I'd rather get the X3 M40i. It's almost as good to drive, and more practical. Same with the Audi S4/C43 sedan - I wish they offered the S4 Avant, but oh well. I'm not a fan of domestic vehicles so unfortunately the Blackwing is out.

Oh, my current vehicle is a VW GTI Mk6 which has been such a good vehicle - hard to beat how versatile it is, and still fun day to day. Getting a little long in the tooth but it's held up remarkably well for a 10-year old VW.
The following 2 users liked this post by roastpuff:
arentz07 (05-10-21), Compromise (05-08-21)
Old 05-10-21, 08:43 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I know it will never happen, but how cool would it be if we had an IS 500 F SPORT Performance SportCross (Wagon).
Old 05-10-21, 10:23 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

question regarding the wheels, the black BBS forged wheels on the LE, are they the same as the ones that come w/ the Fsport Dynamic Handling Package? are these wheels lighter or heavier than the IS500 bespoke Enkei wheels?
Old 05-10-21, 10:24 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by cremaster
question regarding the wheels, the black BBS forged wheels on the LE, are they the same as the ones that come w/ the Fsport Dynamic Handling Package? are these wheels lighter or heavier than the IS500 bespoke Enkei wheels?
The specs on the Enkei wheels are preliminary. I'm going to guess they will be similar in weight. I will find out.
The following 2 users liked this post by flipside909:
cremaster (05-10-21), DLPTony (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 11:22 AM
roastpuff
Rookie

Oh - I forgot to add another vehicle that I am cross-shopping against! After thinking about the C43 AMG Wagon again, I started thinking about the E400/E450 wagon from Mercedes - yes it's not as sporty as the C43 AMG wagon version, but it has more room, is a better luxo-cruiser, and is actually cheaper nowadays when I look at CPO versions from 2018 or 2019! 329/362HP is still no slouch, and a simple tune will get it to 400HP no problem (the beauty of turbocharged engines). I wish I could justify the E53/E63 AMG wagon versions but they're still too expensive a pill for me to swallow.

All I'm saying is:
  • Lexus better get the IS500 priced right
  • That N/A V8 needs to be really special
Otherwise the other options for me might win me over in terms of practicality, luxury and space.
Old 05-10-21, 05:08 PM
Kandyman1
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Oh - I forgot to add another vehicle that I am cross-shopping against! After thinking about the C43 AMG Wagon again, I started thinking about the E400/E450 wagon from Mercedes - yes it's not as sporty as the C43 AMG wagon version, but it has more room, is a better luxo-cruiser, and is actually cheaper nowadays when I look at CPO versions from 2018 or 2019! 329/362HP is still no slouch, and a simple tune will get it to 400HP no problem (the beauty of turbocharged engines). I wish I could justify the E53/E63 AMG wagon versions but they're still too expensive a pill for me to swallow.

All I'm saying is:
Otherwise the other options for me might win me over in terms of practicality, luxury and space.
You can’t really cross-shop a Benz E class with the IS. Those are totally different vehicles in size and handling. I currently drive an E350 sport. Just this past weekend, I went to a Lexus dealership to sit in an IS 350 for size reference. Boy was it snug compared to my E! I however reassured myself that I really want the IS500. Something smaller with much better handling and a lot more power. No more family sedan. This is daddy's ride 😄 - with a back seat for the occasional school dropoff/pickup.

I also went down the block and sat in the new TLX - again, just for size reference. It is slightly roomier than the IS, but I left the dealership a little confused, not sure exactly how I felt about its interior design or use of space. That car is much bigger on the outside than the IS but only slightly so on the inside.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 05:19 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kandyman1
You can’t really cross-shop a Benz E class with the IS. Those are totally different vehicles in size and handling. I currently drive an E350 sport. Just this past weekend, I went to a Lexus dealership to sit in an IS 350 for size reference. Boy was it snug compared to my E! I however reassured myself that I really want the IS500. Something smaller with much better handling and a lot more power. No more family sedan. This is daddy's ride 😄 - with a back seat for the occasional school dropoff/pickup.

I also went down the block and sat in the new TLX - again, just for size reference. It is slightly roomier than the IS, but I left the dealership a little confused, not sure exactly how I felt about its interior design or use of space. That car is much bigger on the outside than the IS but only slightly so on the inside.
LOL @ This is Daddy’s ride…

Right on brother. 😂😎
Old 05-10-21, 07:21 PM
roastpuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kandyman1

Well yes they're both very different cars, but we are a one-car family so it has to be able to do everything. The IS500 gets a pass for practicality due to that V8 but I still need something with a back seat for upcoming baby seat and kids, and to be able to do stuff like transport Home Depot supplies would be a nice bonus. I need to sit in the current gen E-class to refresh my memory, and the wagon especially as they're quite rare. The last E-class I sat in was a 2012 model. I didn't get to drive it back then so a test drive is definitely in order for me.

Like I said, my cross-shopping list isn't the most logical, but that's where my mind leads me lol.

Also I had the same impression about the TLX. It's so big outside but the space isn't there on the inside...
Old 05-11-21, 01:05 AM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm actually digging the interior of the IS. I know it's pretty old but it is classy along with the new touch infotainment since Android Auto will be all I use. One strike would be that the center console HVAC control panel is gloss black.. going to be a fingerprint magnet for sure. Seems like the RCF has a very similar interior but that specific section isn't gloss black.. weird.
Old 05-11-21, 07:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I'm actually digging the interior of the IS. I know it's pretty old but it is classy along with the new touch infotainment since Android Auto will be all I use. One strike would be that the center console HVAC control panel is gloss black.. going to be a fingerprint magnet for sure. Seems like the RCF has a very similar interior but that specific section isn't gloss black.. weird.
The HVAC controls started off as a matte surface on the 2014 IS. They went gloss black for 2021 IS to change it up. I don't think it's going to be a big deal. Keep a microfiber nearby, or just use the voice commands to adjust your climate control. It's not hard.
Old 05-11-21, 07:03 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by roastpuff

All I'm saying is:
Any Lexus compared to a Mercedes Benz will be:

1) A lot cheaper in maintenance costs.
2) The 2UR-GSE 5.0L V8 is a proven engine.
Old 05-11-21, 07:37 AM
Nvicta
Pit Crew

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I don't think it's going to be a big deal. Keep a microfiber nearby, or just use the voice commands to adjust your climate control. It's not hard.
this is key. Home depot sells (I think) one of the best and effective microfiber towels in their cleaning section under their HDX brand, white and orange pack. My center console always has a fresh one for cleaning sunglass lenses.
Old 05-11-21, 07:45 AM
roastpuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by flipside909
Any Lexus compared to a Mercedes Benz will be:

1) A lot cheaper in maintenance costs.
2) The 2UR-GSE 5.0L V8 is a proven engine.
Yes those two points are true. But the cars will be under warranty for the near future. And the other parts - luxury, practicality - the IS kind of falls short on in comparison to the other cars I'm looking at which are wagons and have more modern interiors.

Like I said, my list is weird

Last edited by roastpuff; 05-11-21 at 07:51 AM.

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance