IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-22, 05:37 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 974 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I would really hope you are right about the custom ordering ability because I know my dealer had taken my custom order but it was then rejected but I know things will eventually change. When mine arrives, I will ask again on custom ordering but to be honest, I have almost accept the red interior now as I see more pics....
I am going off what my dealer told me as far as ordering goes. I am not fully optimistic because nobody really knows how it's being handled, but I am hopeful since it's not a unique spec.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 05:43 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the "Nobody really knows" statement - I am not sure why it is so difficult to get a clear answer on what is Lexus' plan when it comes to this vehicle - I mean I know we can't change their mind on what they want to do or provide them with parts that they don't have but you would think someone knows whether the IS 500 will have the ability to be custom ordered or not and whether it will be limited or not - The Lexus Canada website is the only one showing "Limited availability" disclaimer which seems to be in line with what dealers here tell us...
Carolina50 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 05:49 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

^^ I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the "Nobody really knows" statement - I am not sure why it is so difficult to get a clear answer on what is Lexus' plan when it comes to this vehicle - I mean I know we can't change their mind on what they want to do or provide them with parts that they don't have but you would think someone knows whether the IS 500 will have the ability to be custom ordered or not and whether it will be limited or not - The Lexus Canada website is the only one showing "Limited availability" disclaimer which seems to be in line with what dealers here tell us...
Some dealers near me haven't even got their first 500 yet, so I am not surprised that there is so little information
wthrman2 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 05:52 AM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanpai
I am going off what my dealer told me as far as ordering goes. I am not fully optimistic because nobody really knows how it's being handled, but I am hopeful since it's not a unique spec.
Ditto what wthrman2 said. When I placed my deposit months ago, my dealer took down the color combo I wanted and said that’d be what I’d get. Then Lexus/regional distributor instead randomly allocated IS 500s in very limited numbers to the dealers, so I was forced to choose between what they knew they were going to get -or- sit around waiting for a future allocation to randomly align with my original ‘order.’ Just don’t know if any order taken now would still be similarly ignored by Lexus/regional distributor as this has already happened to a couple of us.

Luckily I still got my first interior color choice and second exterior choice, so all is good. And the exterior color is my wife’s first choice so I’m high roading it, acting like I knew this was the color combo we were getting all along.

Last edited by jororo; 01-11-22 at 06:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jororo:
Nvicta (01-11-22), wthrman2 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 05:54 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Yeah, I was lucky to at least get my exterior color preference with an interior color that has now grown on me
Old 01-11-22, 06:38 AM
Yaroze86
Pit Crew

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts

I do not even have the Monroney sticker yet for my car, App still has nothing about milage nor fuel levels. Maybe today it will show something.
Carolina50 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 06:42 AM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Please tell me I did the right thing lol. Walked away, that is. I just did not feel like spending $75000 USD tonight after tax on a color I’m not wild about and add ons I feel are a rip off. Don’t get me wrong, atomic silver is what I’d call beautiful. But USB is special. Plus, them describing how rare USB is just makes me want it more. And now what do I do when blue actually comes in and they’re still non-negotiable on the add-ons? Ugh this whole experience is just an anticlimactic let down. I feel like this is going to end in me asking for my deposit back.
you did the right thing bro, screw these vultures.
The following 4 users liked this post by lexussingh:
FH212 (01-11-22), macmaster (01-11-22), V8ISGreat (01-11-22), wthrman2 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 07:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanpai
In a normal world, dealerships are allowed to submit special order preferences to their area offices, which in turn is sent to the factory for the order. If the factory accepts the order, it would normally take 90-120 days to get the order in, then another 6-8 weeks for vehicle delivery. IS 500 and just IS in general has been difficult to get since the 2021 model year changeover. The demand has been so high, it's been a challenge to find them all over the country. The IS 500 F SPORT Performance is a small fraction of the production and is in very limited quantities. Aside from the Launch Edition, the base and Premium packages are slowly being allocated to dealerships and it is true, not all dealerships have gotten their first IS 500 F SPORT Performance yet. Some dealers are not even getting a Launch Edition.

For Canada, it is way more limited in availability than it is here in the USA, you may have to wait close to a year to get a car. My good friend who lives in Vancouver B.C. put an order in for a Toyota Sienna XSE over 6 months ago. There is still no ETA of when it will arrive. Basically, if you can find an IS 500 F SPORT Performance right now, jump on it. If you're looking for a particular color combination, you may have to wait or lose your opportunity to get one.
wthrman2 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 07:25 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ THANK YOU !!! I wish this type of information was shared more openly from dealers - It helps put a lot of the confusion and sometime, conflicting information we hear. I am not suggesting anyone is being ill intent because everyone is trying to share what they hear but sometime, it varies greatly from one person to another so this information seems to be in line with what most people have been hearing and puts my mind at ease that what I have been hearing and sharing is somewhat factual. Of course, things can always change with chip shortage situation getting resolved and such but at least it is a good snapshot of where we are today in early 2022
Old 01-11-22, 08:07 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

You did the right thing by walking away, to be honest the way that they treated you was a huge turn off and a dealer doesn't respect me as a customer, no need for them to earn my business. What I find ironic is they wouldn't let a serious customer try the vehicle but they will lose loser amateur videographers take it for a test drive and push it to the limit right out of the lot, or they'll let their promotional team rev the engine to the rev limiter....It just shows how the level of integrity/intelligence some dealers have - Again, I don't want to generalize because there are exceptional people in the industry but sadly, the idiots ruin it for the others.
Just to clarify, they weren't letting any hooligan drive the car and they don't have a strong social media presence or promotional team. It only had 8 miles. I commend them for that.

As far as the limited availability of the blue, I am not 100% sure he wasn't right on that one. My dealer was telling me that these will be extremely limited for the 1st year - They committed to build the 500 LE and some of the non-LE but custom ordering will be very slight if any. In light of even more pressures being put on the work force with omicron, I am not sure if the tight allocation will change in the near future. It is possible that the situation will be different in the US but in Canada, they need to focus the allocation on higher selling models (SUVs) and even the the 300/350 because inventory of these are pretty much non-existent. That being said, it could be totally different in a couple of month but regardless, if blue if your preferred color, you shouldn't compromise and waiting a few extra month to get exactly what you want is the best approach IMO.....and I would order from another dealer just to stick it to them out of principle.
I agree blue might be harder to get but he was looking only 3 months in the future. I can wait longer than that if I have to. Heck I'll wait for a 2023 model as long as the MSRP doesn't jump by $2k or more. I had an iota of bargaining power as I could sense their desperation towards the end of our meeting (even though they still wouldn't remove the add-ons!!) Initially when we arrived, they kept saying "there's someone behind you who wants to buy the car" and indeed there was another family looking at the car at the same time as us. However, by the time we left their office, that family was gone.

As far as changing dealerships, the more I think about it, yes, that's likely what I'll do. I was never loyal to them, I was just #1 on their list and they told me now I'm not #1 anymore since I passed up a car. I only remain #1 for a USB which we'll sit on and see what happens. I plan to use that Google Spreadsheet and start contacting dealers in the area with no known mark ups and add-ons. But I already have 3 deposits out there and frankly I'm tired of making so many deposits.

Last edited by macmaster; 01-11-22 at 11:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
V8ISGreat (01-11-22), wthrman2 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 08:41 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Yeah, I commend them for not letting anyone drive the car as we know some will want to take it for a joy ride but when someone is serious, they should let them test it....There are ways to mitigate the joy ride while still allowing the customers to make sure the car is a good fit for them.
It will be interesting to see what will happen with the 2023s and whether the market will cool off or we'll see an adjustment to the MSRP. I can't see a huge bump in MSRP so dealers charging 5+K for market adjustment, we will look back as being excessive IMO but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1-2K MSRP next year but I could be wrong. I am happy you are looking at other dealers and I sincerely hope you will find one that matches your desire - With this kind of money, you don't wanna have buyer's remorse that's for sure
Old 01-11-22, 09:50 AM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

I agree blue might be harder to get but he was looking only 3 months in the future. I can wait longer than that if I have to. Heck I'll wait for a 2023 model as long as the MSRP doesn't jump by $2k or more...
I've never seen the Lexus system first hand, but I've seen the ordering system for Mazda, Ford/Lincoln, and Chevrolet. He was only looking 3 months ahead because that's probably as far ahead as he could see. The system only lets you see what's been accepted so far. Sometimes, depending on the brand, you can only see what's been accepted for your store or group of sister stores... If they're connected like that within the system.

And yes, I agree that you did the right thing by passing up on Atomic Silver. Besides the dealer add-ons, it doesn't make sense spending that kind of money if you're not in love with the car/color.

Here are some pictures of an Atomic Silver with red interior. Unfortunately, the color looks a bit washed out in these pictures.

​​​​

Last edited by Racer00J; 01-11-22 at 09:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Racer00J:
Brandonfu (01-16-22), GoHorns (01-20-22), wthrman2 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 10:15 AM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

Just to clarify, they weren't letting any hooligan drive the car and they don't have a strong social media presence or promotional team. It only had 8 miles. I commend them for that.

I agree blue might be harder to get but he was looking only 3 months in the future. I can wait longer than that if I have to. Heck I'll wait for a 2023 model as long as the MSRP doesn't jump by $2k or more. I did feel an iota of bargaining power as I could feel their desperation towards the end of our meeting (even though they still wouldn't remove the add-ons!!) Initially when we arrived, they kept saying "there's someone behind you who wants to buy the car" and indeed there was another family looking at the car at the same time as us. However, by the time we left their office, that family was gone.

As far as changing dealerships, the more I think about it, yes, that's likely what I'll do. I was never loyal to them, I was just #1 on their list and they told me now I'm not #1 anymore since I passed up a car. I only remain #1 for a USB which we'll sit on and see what happens. I plan to use that Google Spreadsheet and start contacting dealers in the area with no known mark ups and add-ons. But I already have 3 deposits out there and frankly I'm tired of making so many deposits.

Hey all, new here as I'm hoping to get my hands on my first Lexus with the IS500. Not going to read all 357 pages lol. I have skimmed through the last few pages and my experience has been mostly similar. No factory orders and most dealers are oblivious to the IS500 or don't care because they are just selling anything that comes off the trucks immediately.

Anyway, I've been searching for nearly 4 months trying to get a dealer to commit to selling without markup/stupid add-ons and also sell out of market. It's been brutal. Unfortunately, the dealers in my local market are not big enough to pull allocations and it sounded like the 1-2 IS500 premium allocations they MAY get in MY2022 were already spoken for. Not to scare anyone, but I did have a candid phone call with the Sales Manager from Hendrick Lexus in NC even after he said no out of market sales. He was saying that Lexus is only producing 1200 non LE, premium IS500 units for MY2022. This was much lower than I was expecting, but seems to make sense considering how hard of a time I was having finding anything. I finally caved and put a deposit down in state, but I'm #3 and they don't expect anything to come up for my place in line for another 3-5 months if at all this year. Not even considering I will probably have to pass a few times because I only want USB 2.0 / black interior. Not common.

So, I had to expand my search out of market. I talked to probably 10 dealers and they all said the same thing: no out of market or we have no idea if we are even getting any. I didn't even get to the purchase price part of the process...most just straight up said no out of market sales. I was about to give up, but found a dealer in FL that was honestly a 180 from all the others I had talked to. The sales manager actually committed to finding the USB 2.0 / black interior spec I wanted, claimed no markup, and would sell out of market. Plus, no deposit required. It honestly sounded too good to be true. He did straight up say they marked up their LE +$10k, but everything else would be MSRP.

I got a call on Friday saying it would be at port in a week and a half. We're talking on Wednesday to discuss the final details including build sheet/VIN and full quote. I'm trying to not get too excited, because I haven't seen the full quote yet. I had seen a few non LE build sheets before and it looked like every one of them came from Lexus with the preferred accessory package included...which I guess I can live with. Plus, I plan to eat some cost shipping the car about 800 miles back home.

I'll report back hopefully tomorrow if it pans out and can pass along the sales manager's contact if anyone else is interested.

The following 5 users liked this post by zman21:
Brandonfu (01-16-22), DLPTony (01-11-22), IS500SM (01-14-22), V8ISGreat (01-11-22), wthrman2 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 10:28 AM
jjc1111
Driver

Received 119 Likes on 59 Posts

An Infrared/White was just allocated this morning to Hilton Head Lexus - contact Cam @ 617-415-6547 cdespres@hiltonheadlexus.com -- SC, NC, FL, GA residents only

Last edited by jjc1111; 01-11-22 at 10:56 AM.
Carolina50 (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 10:42 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Cherry Hill Lexus is getting a Black on Black Premium shortly, for whoever may be interested
jjc1111 (01-11-22)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance