IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-21, 08:09 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Yes those two points are true. But the cars will be under warranty for the near future. And the other parts - luxury, practicality - the IS kind of falls short on in comparison to the other cars I'm looking at which are wagons and have more modern interiors.

Like I said, my list is weird
Warranty or not...the Mercedes Benz falls short on:

Depreciation
Maintenance
Repairs
Total 5-Year Cost to Own

Also you're comparing a midsize wagon to a compact performance sedan. There's no logic to that. Sounds like for your needs, you need a crossover or a minivan.
Old 05-11-21, 08:16 AM
roastpuff
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Nooo don't say the M-word!

EDIT: @flipside909 if you do look at the list I posted above originally when @Compromise started asking what people were cross-shopping with, there were mostly crossovers and wagons on that list for me. The IS500 was one that I managed to argue with the wife onto the list based on those things that you listed - reliability, depreciation, maintenance, TCO. For me, it was the chance to own a N/A V8 in a RWD platform, an archetype quickly disappearing. And she has a soft spot for Toyota/Lexus products as well since her family grew up only having those, haha. Since I do 95% of the driving, she is OK with the IS500. I hope that I can make it work as a family car!

Last edited by roastpuff; 05-11-21 at 09:05 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by roastpuff:
flipside909 (05-11-21), Kandyman1 (05-11-21), Nvicta (05-11-21)
Old 05-11-21, 01:14 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
I'm willing to wait the 4-6 months to get what I want.
I'd be willing to do that too, but not really sure that will be an option with this model.

I want Cloudburst Grey with White Nuluxe. I don't think that would be some crazy special order.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (05-12-21)
Old 05-11-21, 01:26 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm wondering if the exhaust layout will be the same or similar to the GSF. is the GSF and RCF exhaust set up the same? I'm already thinking exhausts for this car. probably go custom SS midpipe and TI rear, unless Meisterschaft comes out w/ a TI option soon after the car is released.
Old 05-11-21, 03:03 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

It will be a true dual design, should take after the IS 350's exhaust routing.
The following 2 users liked this post by flipside909:
cremaster (05-11-21), natnut (05-13-21)
Old 05-12-21, 06:18 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cremaster
I'm wondering if the exhaust layout will be the same or similar to the GSF. is the GSF and RCF exhaust set up the same? I'm already thinking exhausts for this car. probably go custom SS midpipe and TI rear, unless Meisterschaft comes out w/ a TI option soon after the car is released.
The GS F & RC F exhausts are indeed similar for the V8 / 2UR-GSE application.. But not the same as, length on mid pipe changes and section of axle back changes due to the 2 door vs 4 door. NONE of which are similar to a V6 IS 350 in sizing or fitment.

For example an IS F exhaust is not applicable (not even close) to an IS 350 of the same chassis..

Same concept will apply to the IS 500

Joe Z
cremaster (05-12-21)
Old 05-12-21, 09:06 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The GS F & RC F exhausts are indeed similar for the V8 / 2UR-GSE application.. But not the same as, length on mid pipe changes and section of axle back changes due to the 2 door vs 4 door. NONE of which are similar to a V6 IS 350 in sizing or fitment.

For example an IS F exhaust is not applicable (not even close) to an IS 350 of the same chassis..

Same concept will apply to the IS 500

Joe Z
as a former ISF owner, I'm curious to know if the the current 2UR engine produces the same or similar exhaust tone as the ISF. do you think the ISF exhaust note compared to the current RFC exhaust note is the same or different? (from what I can recall w/ my previous straight pipe system, the current RCF w/ straight pipes, on youtube vids, sounds different than my previous car. the RCF sounds a lot dirtier/cacophonous/raspier than my previous car.

also, from your experience and in your opinion, is there a difference in tone and or volume when comparing a SS vs. TI system for these cars?
Old 05-12-21, 11:20 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

as a former ISF owner, I'm curious to know if the the current 2UR engine produces the same or similar exhaust tone as the ISF. do you think the ISF exhaust note compared to the current RFC exhaust note is the same or different? (from what I can recall w/ my previous straight pipe system, the current RCF w/ straight pipes, on youtube vids, sounds different than my previous car. the RCF sounds a lot dirtier/cacophonous/raspier than my previous car.

also, from your experience and in your opinion, is there a difference in tone and or volume when comparing a SS vs. TI system for these cars?
In short... Yes stock for stock the RC F sounds a tad bit different / throaty.. Even now the GS F / RC F sound different compared to an LC 500 ... A lot of that has to do with layout and muffler / midpipe designs.. On same motors.

Yes of course a Full Ti system will produce a different acoustic sound when compared to a SS system.. Again assuming the same muffler or midpipe design was used..
Even down to the amount of packing and wool material used inside the mufflers / resonators..!!
All plays a role in sound produced.

Joe Z
cremaster (05-13-21)
Old 05-13-21, 08:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

The RC F Track Edition/Fuji Speedway Edition, despite having a Titanium Muffler setup, doesn't not sound that much louder than my stock RC F exhaust. It has a little more pronounced tone, but a little disappointing considering it's a titanium exhaust and the extra cost you pay for the exclusivity. It should have had an active exhaust valve like the LC 500 to make a huge impact. The IS F didn't have a true dual exhaust as is based on the 2nd Gen IS chassis as we all discovered overtime. 3rd Gen IS exhaust routing has a true dual layout and is the same for the IS 500. Piping diameter and etc are obviously different for the application, that's pretty much common sense.

Something worth mentioning, the RC F and the IS 350 F SPORT have identical overall lengths 185.4" I've seen the IS 500 next to the IS 350 side by side and they look indistinguishable. The IS 500 F SPORT Performance will be a tad longer in length due to the bumpers. The IS 500 does sound a little throatier than my RC F. I'll have to take video of it when I get a chance.
The following 3 users liked this post by flipside909:
cremaster (05-13-21), DLPTony (05-13-21), natnut (05-13-21)
Old 05-13-21, 09:57 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
The RC F Track Edition/Fuji Speedway Edition, despite having a Titanium Muffler setup, doesn't not sound that much louder than my stock RC F exhaust. It has a little more pronounced tone, but a little disappointing considering it's a titanium exhaust and the extra cost you pay for the exclusivity. It should have had an active exhaust valve like the LC 500 to make a huge impact. The IS F didn't have a true dual exhaust as is based on the 2nd Gen IS chassis as we all discovered overtime. 3rd Gen IS exhaust routing has a true dual layout and is the same for the IS 500. Piping diameter and etc are obviously different for the application, that's pretty much common sense.

Something worth mentioning, the RC F and the IS 350 F SPORT have identical overall lengths 185.4" I've seen the IS 500 next to the IS 350 side by side and they look indistinguishable. The IS 500 F SPORT Performance will be a tad longer in length due to the bumpers. The IS 500 does sound a little throatier than my RC F. I'll have to take video of it when I get a chance.
totally agree w/ the assessment of the RCF Track Edition. I was surprised that it's TI muffler didn't really change the tone of the exhaust compared to the standard RCF and exhaust set up. I also recall that the TRD TI exhaust on the ISF sounded way different than any other exhausts on the market. yes, I remember my old exhaust was not a true dual and when I chopped off the resonators, I contemplated having the exhaust shop fabricate a true dual system but decided not to.

please post a vid whenever you get a chance that compares the IS500 vs. your RCF!
flipside909 (05-15-21)
Old 05-14-21, 04:34 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Man. I can't even imagine how fast an IS would be with that engine, transmission combo. Definitely going to shut up the nay sayers who think the IS is underpowered.
Old 05-14-21, 05:05 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Exclamation Maybe DUMB STUPID Question

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Disclaimer in Advance: This might be a dumb stupid question but does this hold a BRAND NEW Engine developed from scratch, or are they borrowing it from somewhere (i.e. IS F), or building in association with other manufacturers, etc?

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-14-21 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-14-21, 05:15 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Disclaimer in Advance: This might be a dumb stupid question but does this hold a BRAND NEW Engine developed from scratch, or are they borrowing it from somewhere (i.e. IS F), built in association with other manufacturers, etc?
There are no dumb questions. Only dumb people. I kid! I kid! From what I've read, it will be using the same V8 engine that that RC F uses with some tuning differences.

Last edited by bareyb; 05-14-21 at 05:18 PM.
LaZeR (05-14-21)
Old 05-14-21, 09:02 PM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

I like that it will be a tested and tried engine rather than a new one with no longevity tests. Lexus needs to announce the price already!
The following 2 users liked this post by Compromise:
DLPTony (05-15-21), natnut (05-15-21)
Old 05-14-21, 11:11 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 212 Posts

Same...I haven't been on in quite a few years myself. I was reminded of the page via the IS Freaks FB group, popped over, and saw this glorious thread! It's nice to see so many folks, other than me, jazzed for the 500. I just hope I can get it spec'ed to my specifications, not interested in being the first to own if I'm not completely happy with it.
My personal preference for the 500 is the USB w/red interior (keeping with what I have), ML, and a mid-60s price tag. The NAV is not desired, but if I can get my color choice, I'll gladly eat the additional cost of the NAV. You said take it easy for the next few months and I'm listening, but dealership shenanigans give me heartburn. :-D
me three...it's been a hot min since I've participated on these boards. I apologize to those that sent me PMs and I never responded due to inactivity. but like some of you, the is5 brought me back here. I too want an USB but I think I'm in the minority when wanting the leather/suede interior. I loved it so much in my mk1 is300 and was disappointed that it hasn't been offered since. but from what I've been reading and watching, it seems that the combo may be only available in the LE. when I first heard the news and saw the videos on this car, I instantly said "I'm going to get one!"...haha. lately, I've kinda been on the fence seeing that the company has plans for the 4L TT and throttled back in hopes that there may be an IS with that motor. After going through this thread, it looks like there may not be. either way, it's nice to be back on here. hoping to get a new bucket w/ the options I want. I'm apparently the "first in line" for one at my dealer and they have yet to ask for a deposit; I've offered to put one down in case! they just told me to hit them up every once in a while to follow up. oh...and if I'm blessed to acquire one, hoping to Joe Z makes a system for this model. love and still enjoy my system on my '15 is350.
DLPTony (05-16-21)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance