IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-22, 07:27 PM
Carolina50
Intermediate

Received 615 Likes on 309 Posts

This whole process has started to get on my last good nerve!
The following 4 users liked this post by Carolina50:
DLPTony (01-12-22), iceache925 (01-11-22), TipsyTonio (01-12-22), wthrman2 (01-12-22)
Old 01-11-22, 07:49 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ashschwin
I was at Lexus Thousand Oaks getting my GSF serviced today and they had 2 IS500's in the showroom. The standard model had a $10K markup and launch edition had $25K markup. Could have never imagined an IS sedan costing $100K.
That's just ridiculous.... so crazy. I'm not ever going to pay a markup like that for any car, period. That's just me though and I can't speak for others. I'm in line at three dealerships waiting for the premium edition to arrive. Two of the three I know for sure won't be charging any markup. In the meantime, I'll keep waiting and enjoying my '21 IS 350 F-Sport.
The following 2 users liked this post by iceache925:
Carolina50 (01-11-22), wthrman2 (01-12-22)
Old 01-11-22, 08:07 PM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 834 Likes on 347 Posts

I was at Lexus Thousand Oaks getting my GSF serviced today and they had 2 IS500's in the showroom. The standard model had a $10K markup and launch edition had $25K markup. Could have never imagined an IS sedan costing $100K.
Is this why the IS500 is only offered in N. America?? Milk as much profit as you can. Does this kind of markup happen elsewhere in the world? Wow. Unbelievable. It's like you ordered a custom built Ferrari or something. Is this a USA /dealer only thing ? I guess I should keep my mouth shut since here in Canada they are not going above MSRP. But just goes to show you the profit mongering going on . And what did it cost Lexus to build the IS500? Nothing. They just swapped the V6 with the V8. Gouging at its finest.

Go out with a bang before EV's take over the world. Which, BTW, the electric IS looks sick.

Last edited by TGPCanada; 01-11-22 at 08:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
DLPTony (01-12-22), iceache925 (01-11-22), wthrman2 (01-12-22)
Old 01-11-22, 08:09 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
I wanted to break down the stupid add-ons my dealership is requiring and get your guys' thoughts. Going with them might be my only option since after speaking with 3 dealerships today within 100 miles of me (that were not already on the Google Sheet) I learned they all do $10k-15k markups.

Ceramic Coat - $1995 - Dealer says with this I have a lifetime warranty on paint and lifetime warranty on nuluxe damage, even if someone rips the seats. I say that seems pretty good as long as they honor the warranty.
3M door edge guards - $695 - Dealer didn't say anything about this. I think it's overpriced for what it is as I've seen other dealers add it on for $300 I think.
Windshield protection - $1995 - Dealer says this is important since the Lexus windshield costs $3000+ to replace since it's filled with electronic goodies. I say WTH do you buy insurance for then?
Security System - $1395 - Dealer didn't say much about this, or I don't recall. I also don't see the point of this.

I'm curious if any of you have experience with any of these. Other than ceramic coat, I think they're all stupid. If I'm wrong though I'd like to hear it from you guys, not a sleezy sales manager. Please help me out, thanks!
i would get that warranty in writing.
The following users liked this post:
TipsyTonio (01-12-22)
Old 01-11-22, 08:11 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Is this why the IS500 is only offered in N. America?? Milk as much profit as you can. Does this kind of markup happen elsewhere in the world? Wow. Unbelievable. It's like you ordered a custom built Ferrari or something. Is this a USA /dealer only thing ? I guess I should keep my mouth shut since here in Canada they are not going above MSRP. But just goes to show you the profit mongering going on . And what did it cost Lexus to build the IS500? Nothing. They just swamped the V6 with the V8. Gouging at its finest.
I can't speak for other Countries, but here in the USA it's weird because not every single dealership is doing this. A lot of them are though, and in California I've been told it's all supply and demand causing it. Plus, add in the whole chip shortages and delays in production. Prior to this whole covid thing I've personally never ran into this scenario before. In fact, when I got my 2021 IS 350 back in Jan 2021 I was able to talk them down 6k off the sticker price. I don't see that happening again any time soon though.
Vitveet (01-16-22)
Old 01-11-22, 08:13 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by iceache925
I can't speak for other Countries, but here in the USA it's weird because not every single dealership is doing this. A lot of them are though, and in California I've been told it's all supply and demand causing it. Plus, add in the whole chip shortages and delays in production. Prior to this whole covid thing I've personally never ran into this scenario before. In fact, when I got my 2021 IS 350 back in Jan 2021 I was able to talk them down 6k off the sticker price. I don't see that happening again any time soon though.
By the time that happens again, only electric cars will be on sales lots. That's what I'm afraid of.
DLPTony (01-12-22)
Old 01-11-22, 08:18 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

By the time that happens again, only electric cars will be on sales lots. That's what I'm afraid of.
I hear you... the IS 500 will be my last car for a very long time. I want to make sure I get exactly what I want in terms of color combo and not paying ridiculous markups. If that means waiting than shall be it. I'm hoping they do release the 500 for a couple years to come at least.
V8ISGreat (01-12-22)
Old 01-11-22, 08:26 PM
Apv
Driver School Candidate

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

It's crazy that cars.com already shows 2 used nationwide. One being an le in Sarasota fl with 5 miles selling at 85k
Old 01-11-22, 08:40 PM
Carolina50
Intermediate

Received 615 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Apv
It's crazy that cars.com already shows 2 used nationwide. One being an le in Sarasota fl with 5 miles selling at 85k
CarGurus has three used with one being $98,850 with 715 miles
2022 Lexus IS - $98,850 - CarGurus
2022 Lexus IS - $92,450 - CarGurus
2022 Lexus IS - $89,995 - CarGurus
Old 01-11-22, 08:44 PM
Apv
Driver School Candidate

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Carolina50
Dang. So that's 4 total. One of this is on cars.com too.

It really sucks that people were able to buy em that were just looking for a profit but there are people here who actually want the cars still can't get one
The following 2 users liked this post by Apv:
Carolina50 (01-11-22), DLPTony (01-12-22)
Old 01-11-22, 08:49 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Apv
Dang. So that's 4 total. One of this is on cars.com too.

It really sucks that people were able to buy em that were just looking for a profit but there are people here who actually want the cars still can't get one
I cant imagine they profited much. If they bought it MSRP that means they spent ~$75k after TTL. Then resold it to a 3rd party dealer for maybe $80k? With this month's stock market volatility you couldve profited a lot more with $75k by timing the market, rather than gain a measly $5k by going through the trouble of buying and selling a car. No self-respecting investor would've done that.

Last edited by macmaster; 01-11-22 at 09:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
iceache925 (01-11-22), Joe Z (01-12-22)
Old 01-11-22, 11:37 PM
BChoCRNA
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Don’t give in these stealerships. Like with all new releases, they’re just preying on ignorant consumers. Since we’re already on clublexus and actively researching more than the average consumer were in a much better place.

Mind you, Toyota shutdown their factories in early fall and restarted full production in NOV. I have a huge hunch once Toyota is able to pump out more IS than these dealerships can handle, the hype and mark ups will fade. For me, I’ll wait as long as possible. For example, last month I got my PS5 for retail through SONY direct.
Old 01-12-22, 03:35 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Hear! Hear!!

Feel I should jockey for position, Hunger Games style, because more folks want the 500 in USB.

I refuse to do it, because it’s bad juju, but man it shouldn’t be this hard to spend &65K.

Me too. Also, the suggestion to get the final warranty in writing (which I’m sure you would) is a great reminder.

I hear you... the IS 500 will be my last car for a very long time. I want to make sure I get exactly what I want in terms of color combo and not paying ridiculous markups. If that means waiting than shall be it. I'm hoping they do release the 500 for a couple years to come at least.
Same. I’m only 50 and plan to keep this car until gas is outlawed. So if that’s 20 years from now at $20 per gallon, so be it. The idea of an electric car gives me hives.
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
Carolina50 (01-12-22), wthrman2 (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 05:05 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
So correct me if I’m wrong, but what I read on Ford was that they sent an internal memo saying that they would remove allocations from dealers that were charging for a spot in line for the F150 Lightning, not that they would punish dealers for selling over MSRP. In the memo I read it said that Ford has no legal basis to tell a dealer to not sell at MSRP. Their specific concern was dealers charging $5000 for example, just for the right to get in line to order a truck. Those $5000 would not be applied towards the vehicle purchase
I will find the youtube video I found and send you to the link in a PM to avoid derailing the thread

The problem with venturing into other regions is that it feels like a crapshoot. There are hundreds of dealers out there and they get random allocations. Where am I supposed to begin?
I understand what you are saying but this is what I am suggesting. Maybe things work differently in the US but if it works like in Canada, this is what I would do. First important thing is find a dealer as close as possible to where you live that will sell you an IS 500 at MSRP. Once that is achieved, talk to their sales manager and be very courteous and detail your specific intention, that you are serious about wanting a USB (with color Y inside). Ask him if he has any vehicles allocated to him and if so, what color. If the color combo is not what you want, ask him/her to speak to a district manager who can then find one that is in the system and not tagged as sold. What will happen, the district manager will see all the vehicles being assigned to the dealers within the territory they cover (and even other regions) and they will be able to redirect a vehicle to one region to another - They will almost act like a broker and are basically above the dealer so they have more weight. If your sales manager is good and really wants to help you, they will talk to their district manager and try their best to make that happen for you rather than you being the guy chasing the car, let the district manager be that agent. That is what happened in my situation and yeah, it may mean that the dealer will have to swap an already allocated car destined for a future date but in the end, they would would rather get a car knowing is sold and making a customer very happy. That is my 2 cents. But again, it requires you to have a good conversation with the dealer, ask them to speak to the district manager on your behalf and really stress how much this would be appreciated if they would make this happen. That is why it is important I suggested you found close to where you live because personally, I would try and have that conversation in person rather than on the phone unless they already know you. In my case, I have bought several cars from my dealer and they me extremely well so call my sales manager was sufficient.

I was at Lexus Thousand Oaks ... had a $10K markup and launch edition had $25K markup. Could have never imagined an IS sedan costing $100K.
I have nothing but disgust for such tactics and to be honest, as nice as the IS 500 is, a person who pays that much has been suckered into paying far more than this car is worth and they deserve what they get....I mean it is an old platform with an old engine, with an old transmission and dated interior. Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing car at MSRP, but not 100k!! You could get far better car at this price point IMO - It's like paying paying a 20$ premium on a roll of toilet paper because there is this stupid frenzy....come on people.

TBH, if I was in the states, I would say F this and I would just wait it out - I would refuse to be part of these games and let the delaers carry the inventory and let them crap their pants when the car has been there for 5 or 6 months unsold.

That's just ridiculous.... so crazy. I'm not ever going to pay a markup like that for any car, period. That's just me though and I can't speak for others. I'm in line at three dealerships waiting for the premium edition to arrive. Two of the three I know for sure won't be charging any markup. In the meantime, I'll keep waiting and enjoying my '21 IS 350 F-Sport.
I hear ya...I have a 2021 IS 350 F sport as well and if I was faced with such market adjustments, I would just keep my 350! I love my car and it does everything right and TBH, at about 20K more than what I paid for my 350 (don't have the DHP), I even question why I am getting the 500 at times. I agree with your other message, if you are going to keep this car for a long time, it is best to wait a bit and pay MSRP and most importantly, get the color combo you want!!

Originally Posted by DLPTony
Same. I’m only 50 and plan to keep this car until gas is outlawed. So if that’s 20 years from now at $20 per gallon, so be it. The idea of an electric car gives me hives.
I am 51 so we are very close in age my friend but I hear what you are saying and makes total sense - I suspect you will be able to enjoy your IS 500 for as long as you want to I will only consider an electric car as one of my daily driver for just around town to get groceries and such but never as my toy because they generate no passion for me
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Carolina50 (01-12-22), DLPTony (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 05:50 AM
is500le
Pit Crew

Received 140 Likes on 77 Posts

I can get launch edition for 4k over MSRP. Doesn't seem out of line.
Vitveet (01-16-22)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance