IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-21, 07:11 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Disclaimer in Advance: This might be a dumb stupid question but does this hold a BRAND NEW Engine developed from scratch, or are they borrowing it from somewhere (i.e. IS F), or building in association with other manufacturers, etc?
This version of the engine is from the 2020 RC F which produces 472 HP and 395 lb-ft torque. The same AA80E transmission from the RC F (Shared with the IS F, GS F and LS 460 SPORT/F SPORT).

Toyota developed and manufactures this engine (2UR-GSE 5.0L V8) with the help of Yamaha for the heads. G designation in the engine code signifies high performance heads and developed with Yamaha. F designation is for fuel economy/efficiency heads.
The following 2 users liked this post by flipside909:
DLPTony (05-16-21), LaZeR (05-16-21)
Old 05-15-21, 07:12 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Compromise
I like that it will be a tested and tried engine rather than a new one with no longevity tests. Lexus needs to announce the price already!
The car doesn't come out until fall. Pricing is always announced by the time production starts. This is nothing new. You have a few more months to wait.
Old 05-15-21, 01:46 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm definitely interested in this car. My Tesla is 8 years old and it's time for an upgrade. I've always been a big fan of Lexus and that IS500 has got my attention....

Last edited by bareyb; 05-15-21 at 01:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
flipside909 (05-15-21)
Old 05-15-21, 01:50 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cremaster
i have not been on clublexus in years but i've been excited with the reveal of the IS 500, so decided to log in and join the fray. i had to sell my previous IS F due to needing more room for car seats for my two kids so had to get a small CUV. ended up custom ordering a 2018 Macan S and have had it a few years now. even with the light performance mods i've done, i've missed my old V8. the turbo lag on the Macan is awful. the piggyback tune helps a little but nothing compares to an NA motor.

with the IS 500, i think i may jump ship bc my kids soon won't need car seats and my wife still has the RX. i was seriously considering a used 991.2 in about 4 years but just can't justify the premium they fetch. i still really want to see what the new IS F will bring, whether it'll be a TTV8 or TTV6, price, looks, etc. but the IS 500 is a serious contender for me, maybe pick one up that's slightly used and not take the initial depreciation hit. i'm already thinking i'll do a custom inconel exhaust to reduce some weight and amp up the noise.
Originally Posted by DLPTony
Same...I haven't been on in quite a few years myself. I was reminded of the page via the IS Freaks FB group, popped over, and saw this glorious thread! It's nice to see so many folks, other than me, jazzed for the 500. I just hope I can get it spec'ed to my specifications, not interested in being the first to own if I'm not completely happy with it.
It's old home week around here I guess. I haven't been around since about 2014. Kids are off to college so my wife got new wheels. She just got a 2021 IS300 and that brought me back. This new IS500 is definitely intriguing and I plan to stick around to see what happens with it.

Last edited by bareyb; 05-15-21 at 06:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bareyb:
cremaster (05-15-21), DLPTony (05-16-21)
Old 05-15-21, 03:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by bareyb
I'm definitely interested in this car. My Tesla is 8 years old and it's time for an upgrade. I've always been a big fan of Lexus and that IS500 has got my attention....
That is interesting. I hear a lot of this happening lately. Model S?
Old 05-15-21, 05:57 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flipside909
That is interesting. I hear a lot of this happening lately. Model S?
Yep. I got one of the OG Model S. Mine was number 42 off the Assembly line in Fremont. Got to meet Elon Musk and got a tour of the Factory. I still like my Model S a lot, but they need to seriously upgrade the interior and improve the cabin noise. The new ones look essentially the same inside and out other than the nose cone face lift they did back in 2015.

After driving my Wife's new IS, it's really made me lust for that nice interior again. The one BIG thing about Model S cars is the Power. I have the Performance model and It's quicker off the line than a Lambo. But I expect an IS500 would certainly be plenty quick enough for me these days.

Last edited by bareyb; 05-15-21 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-16-21, 02:05 AM
teamlexus1
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

At an age where every manufacture have succumb to 4-6 cylinders turbocharged engines, it’s Lexus game to lose. Thus far, they have done a decent job in promoting the IS 500 by relying on the press. I’ve seen a review on YouTube of the IS 500 with over one million views. Pricing the IS 500 at 65k would be a solid ground for Lexus.

I’m really digging the IS 500 Limited Edition. I wish it had the red interior of the RCF Track Edition. Also given that it’s a limited edition, Lexus should have cranked it up to 500HP/400 torque.
Old 05-16-21, 06:38 AM
SeanSkiVT
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
That is a little early to tell if you can do a custom order or not. They will put your preference in to the area office (most likely Lexus Eastern Area) and see if they will take the order. If the IS 500 has only two available builds lets say for example, base with no Nav and fully loaded with Nav & ML, you will probably have to wait longer for a special order. It typically takes 90-120 days to get an order in, plus a few more weeks of shipping. With the current state of supply chain issues and the major back up at the ports due to short staff of long shoremen/customs agents, it may take longer.
Interesting, so they don't do custom builds like BMW and Audi will? I've done it with BMW and the process is so cool, I don't mind the wait at all. That's the process they had explained to me, and that's unfortunate if they won't. I'm probably not buying one unless they can get me exactly what I want. This isn't a daily driver appliance for me, it's something special that I hope to keep for a long time.

I want the color combo that they showed in the initial introduction, infrared with black interior. And I want ML/Nav, and probably nothing else. Ideally not even a sunroof. If they were to offer the Torque Vectoring diff I'd spring for that as well.

The car I'm cross-shopping against, and I know it's both more expensive and less reliable, is the RS5 Sportback. I'd prefer the Lexus because some of my German cars have been headaches, but I can't get that car out of my head.

Last edited by SeanSkiVT; 05-16-21 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-16-21, 10:48 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Yep. I got one of the OG Model S. Mine was number 42 off the Assembly line in Fremont. Got to meet Elon Musk and got a tour of the Factory. I still like my Model S a lot, but they need to seriously upgrade the interior and improve the cabin noise. The new ones look essentially the same inside and out other than the nose cone face lift they did back in 2015.

After driving my Wife's new IS, it's really made me lust for that nice interior again. The one BIG thing about Model S cars is the Power. I have the Performance model and It's quicker off the line than a Lambo. But I expect an IS500 would certainly be plenty quick enough for me these days.
How is the battery holding up can you still achieve 100% charge?
Old 05-16-21, 11:26 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

all-electric back to gas?! kinda like Back to the Future...
Old 05-16-21, 11:29 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by teamlexus1
... Pricing the IS 500 at 65k would be a solid ground for Lexus. ...
WAS just about to post that @ $65k will wait for 1.5 year old CPO.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-16-21 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-16-21, 01:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
all-electric back to gas?! kinda like Back to the Future...
Yeah. Makes sure to test drive the car. There is a massive power difference between a P90D (700hp) and an IS500. I bet the Is500 will handle much better though as the Model S feels like a boat.
Old 05-16-21, 01:36 PM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 511 Likes on 182 Posts

If they truly want it to compete with the M340 and C43 putting the base bare-bones cars starting price into the mid 60's range is way over the starting price of those vehicles. With the M340 starting at around 55k and c43 starting at 57k, Lexus would sell the vehicle if they price it starting in the mid 60's but not as well as if it started in the mid to upper 50k topping out fully equipped around low to mid 60k range keeping the car sub 70k out the door. The wait for all the specs and starting pricing and package pricing is excruciating but hopefully, we find out in August or Sept all the info we are looking for
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (05-17-21)
Old 05-16-21, 04:21 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dojoman
How is the battery holding up can you still achieve 100% charge?
It's in great shape. I've always kept it charged to about 60% of max and charged at 30 amps instead of 40 both of which are thought to prolong battery life. So far the battery has held up really well and I've seen almost no degradation. Maybe 2% at most.
Old 05-16-21, 05:21 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

It's in great shape. I've always kept it charged to about 60% of max and charged at 30 amps instead of 40 both of which are thought to prolong battery life. So far the battery has held up really well and I've seen almost no degradation. Maybe 2% at most.
Very impressive after 8 yrs barely any degradation at all.

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance