IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 04:19 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaroze86
Do they make a ceramic coating that would keep the matte finish of the BBS wheels?
I believe any ceramic coating you'd normally apply to the car body would also work for wheels. There are some ceramic coating products that seem to be marketed specifically for wheels if you just Google search it. So, yes.

The matte finish should be preserved if the coating is applied right.
Old 01-15-22, 04:20 PM
dk12
Driver

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaroze86
Do they make a ceramic coating that would keep the matte finish of the BBS wheels?
Unfortunately not, my installer does do ceramic coatings but he said even if they did install it it wouldn’t make a difference since they’re matte. My main concern is cleaning brake dust but according to him even with the ceramic I’d still have to agitate it and clean it so there was no point.
Old 01-15-22, 04:23 PM
TheCarGuy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dk12
Unfortunately not, my installer does do ceramic coatings but he said even if they did install it it wouldn’t make a difference since they’re matte. My main concern is cleaning brake dust but according to him even with the ceramic I’d still have to agitate it and clean it so there was no point.
I coated my BBS wheels on my dynamic handling pack 350 (same wheels on the LE) with carpro cquartz and it kept the matte finish. Dirty and road grime washes off easy with a power washer no need to get a brush out.
The following 4 users liked this post by TheCarGuy1:
arentz07 (01-15-22), Carolina50 (01-15-22), Compromise (01-15-22), Joe Z (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 04:30 PM
dk12
Driver

Originally Posted by TheCarGuy1
I coated my BBS wheels on my dynamic handling pack 350 (same wheels on the LE) with carpro cquartz and it kept the matte finish. Dirty and road grime washes off easy with a power washer no need to get a brush out.
How was your experience with brake dust, that’s my only concern. That’s the brand he uses as well, he did say if I want I could try it since it’s easy enough to apply might give it a shot then.
Old 01-15-22, 04:34 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

Something very similar happened to my 20 ES, a tech forgot to fully shut the air box clip, and even though I fixed that myself it threw a code for the MAF, no radar cruise control, park assist, or electric parking brake. Service told me is something to do with a safety aspect, where the car will shut down any unnecessary items due to a mechanical issue.
That’s good to hear (err read) … helps explain why the safety systems would also throw codes when there is a mechanical issue. My mind stopped at “what incredibly sloppy coding to have a reverse auto braking system linked to an oxygen sensor.” Hopefully it’s something as minor as a loose air box clip, loose connector fitting, etc.

Backstory - my ‘07 IS350 was lemon law’d due to the unintended acceleration issue, so this less-than-stellar start is bringing back some bad memories. Long story short - it wasn’t the floor mats (they were in the trunk after the first dealer visit) and it wasn’t a driver who didn’t know the difference between the gas & the brake pedal (I was driving 50cc motorcycles and 50cc four wheelers before preschool, and slowly continuing on to eventually have motorcycles that saw 170+ mph and a car or two that saw the “I did it!!” side of 200mph). The court ordered Toyota to buy it back a couple months before the issue became a nationwide story, with Toyota fighting tooth & mail up until the court date, but at court they basically no-showed. Seems they didn’t want anything they might say becoming part of a public record outside of their control.

Long story long - the unintended acceleration happened to me well over a dozen times. Even had a video on an old Blackberry clearly showing that my feet were nowhere near the pedals, that there was nothing blocking the pedals, and the thing was still all out accelerating.

It was a very cruddy experience. The dealership did all they could but Lexus/Toyota corporate just stonewalled. On the deadline day for Toyota corporate to cut me the court ordered check and take back the car, they tried forcing me to sign a multi page, densely written form that basically said “it’s all in your mind, this car is a flawless gem.” Goes without saying that my law degree paid off when presented with that BS … wanted to be dang sure the next buyer knew there was a huge safety issue rather than him/her being like that CA CHP trooper and die with his wife & brother in law.

Scary part is to think about how many people signed that release form, a form that seemed specifically drafted to allow Toyota to keep the issue buried, prevent a ‘lemon’ title notation, and possibly even keep the matter outside of NHTSA reporting requirements. I still have that form boxed away in a family barn back in Texas.

I get annoyed to no end by the jort wearing mouth breathers who mindlessly dismiss that whole issue as solely due to either bad drivers who didn’t know the difference between a gas pedal and a brake pedal, or being caused by a wedged floor mat. Not saying some weren’t, but its very obvious that many occurrences, like mine, stemmed from much more intricate mechanical / electrical / computer issues that Toyota’s then safety logging system wasn’t even coded to record. Yes, obviously you put it in neutral when it happened and let it bounce off the redline while you bring the thing to a stop, but many people don’t perform optimally in life threatening, panic inducing situations.

Side note - elementary school principals don’t smile upon a 1st grader locking up his motorcycle at the bike rack. When my son reaches 1st grade I’m going to see if that’s still the case !!

Sorry for the rant. Was looking forward to having a fun Saturday drive through the mountains in my new 472 HP beast and instead I have an RX Hybrid loaner sitting in my driveway. Just looking at it makes me yawn.
The following 6 users liked this post by jororo:
AJinDFW (01-15-22), Compromise (01-15-22), DLPTony (01-15-22), GoHorns (01-15-22), Joe Z (01-15-22), wthrman2 (01-15-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-22, 05:09 PM
TheCarGuy1
Driver School Candidate

How was your experience with brake dust, that’s my only concern. That’s the brand he uses as well, he did say if I want I could try it since it’s easy enough to apply might give it a shot then.
same it comes right off. For longevity I think you should use the cquartz dlux which is specifically made for wheels.
Old 01-15-22, 05:39 PM
jjc1111
Driver

Received 119 Likes on 59 Posts

Just picked up my car today from getting a full PPF, my installer went above and beyond and even put black ppf on all the black trim on the car from the lower bumper garnish to the brake ducts to the mirror. I never even knew that was a thing but if anyone is planning to get their car ppf I would definitely consider that as an option.
How much does this cost, generally?
Old 01-15-22, 05:43 PM
dk12
Driver

Originally Posted by jjc1111
I’ve gotten various quotes and it all depends on your coverage and type of film. Specifically I wanted Suntek film and for the whole car it was 4.2K, from my installer but I got quotes ranging from 4-7k. You can pick and choose though if you want only the front or only doors or bumpers, etc.
The following users liked this post:
jjc1111 (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 05:48 PM
jjc1111
Driver

Received 119 Likes on 59 Posts

I’ve gotten various quotes and it all depends on your coverage and type of film. Specifically I wanted Suntek film and for the whole car it was 4.2K, from my installer but I got quotes ranging from 4-7k. You can pick and choose though if you want only the front or only doors or bumpers, etc.
Wow, spensive!
Old 01-15-22, 05:56 PM
brunnesa
Driver School Candidate

Received 99 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jjc1111
Mine was $6800 for the full car with the ceramic coating on top of the PPF. It is LLumar PPF.
jjc1111 (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 06:37 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Old 01-15-22, 06:39 PM
Yaroze86
Pit Crew

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
uhhh this mean you as well?
macmaster (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 06:40 PM
TheCarGuy1
Driver School Candidate

another person with issues? hmm hopefully this doesn’t start a stop sale I want my IS 500 asap lol
macmaster (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 06:42 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Picked it up today. After driving just TWO miles at the start of an 800 mile journey home with just 20 miles on the odometer, the CEL went on with the exact same warning about the parking brake malfunction. Turned around and went back to the dealer. The Master Tech won’t be here until Monday morning and so now I’m stranded out of state and need to be back at work by Tuesday.

The dealership agreed to put us up for the weekend until Monday morning when they look at it. If it’s indeed a software issue, do you think it’s safe to drive 800 miles home and get it fixed at my local dealer? I’ve never been so stressed and disappointed in my life. This trip had turned into a nightmare. ((

DLPTony (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 06:54 PM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Picked it up today. After driving just TWO miles at the start of an 800 mile journey home with just 20 miles on the odometer, the CEL went on with the exact same warning about the parking brake malfunction. Turned around and went back to the dealer. The Master Tech won’t be here until Monday morning and so now I’m stranded out of state and need to be back at work by Tuesday.

The dealership agreed to put us up for the weekend until Monday morning when they look at it. If it’s indeed a software issue, do you think it’s safe to drive 800 miles home and get it fixed at my local dealer? I’ve never been so stressed and disappointed in my life. This trip had turned into a nightmare. ((
Damn.. sorry to hear. Hope they fix it for you soon.

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance