IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22, 08:09 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 800 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
Is this the one in Edmonton?
No, this is in downtown Toronto. Being sitting in the showroom for a month. Selling at MSRP ($72,900). This kind of car is a tough sell in Canada , and we're in the heart of the winter. Someone will snap this up soon (maybe it will be me. LOL).
The following 2 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
Carolina50 (01-16-22), wthrman2 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 08:14 AM
Carolina50
Intermediate

Received 615 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
No, this is in downtown Toronto. Being sitting in the showroom for a month. Selling at MSRP ($72,900). This kind of car is a tough sell in Canada , and we're in the heart of the winter. Someone will snap this up soon (maybe it will be me. LOL).
Snap it up!!!!
Old 01-16-22, 08:17 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 800 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Thanks everyone for your concern. I was so excited to share my success story and photos with you guys but this puts a serious wrinkle in all my plans and my trust in the Lexus brand.

here’s the million dollar question. Would you guys either:

(A) return the car as the dealer allows me. Get a refund on the down payment and cancel the loan contract (I pray that’s not complicated). Chalk it up as a learning experience.
OR
(B) keep the car and let them repair it. Fly home and get it shipped to me (it would be nice if they helped pay for that)

If it’s the latter, I’m worried that the issue or more could persist when I’m home and then I have a problematic car forever. I could sell it after 4 years when the powertrain warranty expires, which is the same length of time I financed, but that’s really not how I imagined having this car. (BTW - Do cars depreciate more if they’ve been in the shop more?) Or it could be a great car that never has problems again. I really don’t know where to go from here....
I'm assuming they are going to be looking at it first thing Monday morning? See what the diagnosis is. It could be something very simple. I know how nerve racking and irritating these things are. The worst is when you have a car issue unfold on a Saturday evening of a long weekend when the shop doesn't re-open until Tuesday morning at 8:00. Drove me crazy having to agonize over the weekend what's going on and how much it's going to cost to fix.

Old 01-16-22, 08:23 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

I may have missed it but I assume it's a black interior?
Old 01-16-22, 08:28 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Thanks everyone for your concern. I was so excited to share my success story and photos with you guys but this puts a serious wrinkle in all my plans and my trust in the Lexus brand.

(A) return the car as the dealer allows me. Get a refund on the down payment and cancel the loan contract (I pray that’s not complicated). Chalk it up as a learning experience.
OR
(B) keep the car and let them repair it. Fly home and get it shipped to me (it would be nice if they helped pay for that)

If it’s the latter, I’m worried that the issue or more could persist when I’m home and then I have a problematic car forever. I could sell it after 4 years when the powertrain warranty expires, which is the same length of time I financed, but that’s really not how I imagined having this car. (BTW - Do cars depreciate more if they’ve been in the shop more?) Or it could be a great car that never has problems again. I really don’t know where to go from here....
Just so you know, your power train warranty is 6 years, 70,000 miles. I’m a bit torn on your predicament truthfully. I’m one of those people that dips at the first sign of danger so part of me says to walk away from the car, but at the same time, another member had what appeared to be the same issue and he was diagnosed a faulty O2 sensor. Which a fault O2 sensor isn’t the end of the world. Like another member said, it is possible that they received a bad batch of O2 sensors and that’s why a couple cars are starting to have these issues. I think the problem is exacerbated by the fact that you are so far from home. If you were near your house I’d say just wait and see what they say. I would at the very least wait until the diagnosis on Monday and consider this an extended vacation. As a side note too, and not to undermine the intentions of your dealer, it is actually Lexus that is putting you up in a hotel. It is part of the roadside assistance included in the vehicle; if you are over 100 miles away from your house I believe, they put you up in a hotel for 5 days I believe. It’s good that your dealer didn’t hesitate to go that route though.
The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
DLPTony (01-16-22), wthrman2 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 08:34 AM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

Received 206 Likes on 80 Posts

Yeah, it's a bit of a tough one right now. Yesterday, I went to see an Infrared one. It arrived sometime in December, which means it was being manufactured during the heart of the chip shortage. Having said all this , this is Toyota/Lexus, a world reputable automotive supplier that has developed standardized, regimented quality programs in manufacturing. (this is not Tesla . LOL - sorry Tesla owners). I expect whatever issues to be minor, and more of an irritating nuisance. We all know the mechanical components are solid - engine, transmission are old, tried, and reliability and built in Japan. You always hear of these complaints/ headaches BMW owners have with the electric gremlin problems in their cars. Definately we don't want Lexus products falling into a similar conversation.

Anyways, we are all speculating and over extrapolating based on a couple of incidents that happened yesterday. Most on this forum have had their IS500 for several weeks now without incident.

Let's get the diagnosis and go from there.

BTW - for anyone who's on the fence about a particular colour my advice: You MUST, MUST go see the colour in person, even if it's on a different Lexus car. All these Youtube videos/pictures,etc. while very helpful, just are no substitute for seeing the colour in person. I was of course on the fence with Infrared (looks a tad orange when I look at even my own pictures I took yesterday). But in person, there is no hint. It has a deep, beautiful, rich red which even my wife was pleasantly surprised by (she thinks I'm stupid to buy red). Must, must go see the colour in person.
Buy with confidence! Infrared cars are better made and faster. I know this because mine is Infrared.
Old 01-16-22, 08:34 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
if you are over 100 miles away from your house I believe, they put you up in a hotel for 5 days I believe. It’s good that your dealer didn’t hesitate to go that route though.
I am like you, usually, something like this on day 1 would make me want to walk away but at the same time, it could be something super trivial but if there is a few days or a week of delay to get the part, it wi make it worse for him, unless they are willing to ship it back but that could be costly to them and may prefer that he just walks away..we will see monday.

I would be quite bummed out and nervous after this .

Last edited by wthrman2; 01-16-22 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-16-22, 08:35 AM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

Received 206 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
The dealer is willing to cancel your contract and let you return it?! If so, that is an interesting option...
Many states have a grace period wherein the seller is required to cancel the deal within a certain limit of time and vehicle use.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 09:23 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Picked it up today. After driving just TWO miles at the start of an 800 mile journey home with just 20 miles on the odometer, the CEL went on with the exact same warning about the parking brake malfunction. Turned around and went back to the dealer. The Master Tech won’t be here until Monday morning and so now I’m stranded out of state and need to be back at work by Tuesday.

The dealership agreed to put us up for the weekend until Monday morning when they look at it. If it’s indeed a software issue, do you think it’s safe to drive 800 miles home and get it fixed at my local dealer? I’ve never been so stressed and disappointed in my life. This trip had turned into a nightmare. ((
Was yours an LE also?

Some others have non-LE cars running fine. Seems like more than a coincidence if two LE's have the same problem. Like a bad run of O2 sensors on the first few cars.
Old 01-16-22, 09:27 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

OR

I couldn't imagine ditching such a great car from a bad first experience. I would get it repaired. Is there any possibility you can take Tuesday off work, get it repaired, and drive back Tuesday?

If the issue persists you can Lemon Law it and, depending on your state, get your full purchase price back. In CA if they can't repair a vehicle after 3 attempts you get refunded the value of the car from the date of the first attempt of the problem, which was immediately for you.
Old 01-16-22, 09:37 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 95bat
Was yours an LE also?

Some others have non-LE cars running fine. Seems like more than a coincidence if two LE's have the same problem. Like a bad run of O2 sensors on the first few cars.
His is not a LE, the 2 issues have been with the non LE...jororo and macmaster are not LE owners
Joe Z (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 09:47 AM
brunnesa
Driver School Candidate

Received 99 Likes on 33 Posts

OR

I would let them fix it and then enjoy it. No car or brand is perfect. I’ve owned a vehicle from almost all of the common car brands, and there is always something that needs to be fixed or adjusted. These vehicles are very complex and things happen unfortunately.
Vitveet (01-17-22)
Old 01-16-22, 09:52 AM
Yaroze86
Pit Crew

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
His is not a LE, the 2 issues have been with the non LE...jororo and macmaster are not LE owners
Is the last 4 or your vins kinda close?
The following 3 users liked this post by Yaroze86:
Carolina50 (01-16-22), IssaV8 (01-16-22), TipsyTonio (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 09:55 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaroze86
Is the last 4 or your vins kinda close?
Oh damn. Dr. Vin has entered the chat. But in all honestly, that’s actually a smart move. Even better would be checking the build date of the vehicles. If you go to the vehicle history in the infotainment, assuming your dealer didn’t clear, there should be about 4 issues that populated on the day the car was built, plus or minus a day or two accounting for the time difference. My car was built in the 18th of November and I have 4 error codes registered in tue infotainment for the 17th of November. It was obvious that it was more than likely that they started the car without it being fully assembled or whatnot. But that’s a good way of getting the build date without contacting a regional rep
The following 3 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
Carolina50 (01-16-22), Nvicta (01-16-22), Yaroze86 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 10:29 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I couldn't imagine ditching such a great car from a bad first experience. I would get it repaired. Is there any possibility you can take Tuesday off work, get it repaired, and drive back Tuesday?

If the issue persists you can Lemon Law it and, depending on your state, get your full purchase price back. In CA if they can't repair a vehicle after 3 attempts you get refunded the value of the car from the date of the first attempt of the problem, which was immediately for you.
how does the lemon law work though if I bought the car in a different state? Do I have to get it repaired each time in the original purchase state? There’s no way I could do that. And then return it to the original purchase state if it’s deemed a lemon? Again, way too much hassle.

For those who say to let them repair it, should they pay for shipping it to me? I’ll already be spending a lot more on this trip than I planned, but I’m partly ok with that if they do the right thing to meet me halfway somewhere. It seems really unfair that 100% of the burden should fall on me. This is Lexus! Supposed to be a luxury experience
DLPTony (01-16-22)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance