IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22, 10:37 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
how does the lemon law work though if I bought the car in a different state? Do I have to get it repaired each time in the original purchase state? There’s no way I could do that. And then return it to the original purchase state if it’s deemed a lemon? Again, way too much hassle.

For those who say to let them repair it, should they pay for shipping it to me? I’ll already be spending a lot more on this trip than I planned, but I’m partly ok with that if they do the right thing to meet me halfway somewhere. It seems really unfair that 100% of the burden should fall on me. This is Lexus! Supposed to be a luxury experience
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But you don't need to take it back to that specific dealer for a Lemon Law issue. Any Lexus dealer will suffice. And I believe that California Lemon Law applies since you are registering the car in California. This is similar to how you paid California sales tax, not the tax of the state you bought the car in.

And I agree that this shouldn't happen. But, and don't take this negatively, I don't think they have to do anything for you in this regards. Your dealer will claim that they are offering you another option (them taking the car from you) and the Lexus warranty guide says that they do not cover consequential damages. And you having to ship the car because you can't wait is an example of a consequential damage.
The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
Brandonfu (01-17-22), wthrman2 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 10:44 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

For those who say to let them repair it, should they pay for shipping it to me? I’ll already be spending a lot more on this trip than I planned, but I’m partly ok with that if they do the right thing to meet me halfway somewhere. It seems really unfair that 100% of the burden should fall on me. This is Lexus! Supposed to be a luxury experience
To be honest, the dealer does not have any obligations to do this although it is always in their best interest to work with customers but again, it is how you approach them. If you go in and start demanding this, itbwoukd never go well in my opinion.

If you are nervous and uncomfortable, just walk away as you are given that choice. The dealer/Lexus has already provided some assistance for your extra stay.

Buying local always makes things easier when dealing with problems but I know that some dealers also are charging ridiculous market adjustments.

I feel your frustration and disappointment but as others have said, no cars are immune from these issues but you have a chance to walk away...so if you have second thoughts, just exercise that option.
Old 01-16-22, 11:40 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

how does the lemon law work though if I bought the car in a different state? Do I have to get it repaired each time in the original purchase state? There’s no way I could do that. And then return it to the original purchase state if it’s deemed a lemon? Again, way too much hassle.

I think you got dealt a crappy hand with your buying experience, but the dealership doesn't have to pay to ship the car to you

I think them offering to pay for a hotel was already a very gracious offering. I think their only requirement is to fix the car, your hotel/work/flight/shipping/etc is all up to you unfortunately.

If they can fix it ASAP Monday morning (not sure if they're open since it's a holiday) then you could make it back for work on Tuesday.
The following users liked this post:
Brandonfu (01-17-22)
Old 01-16-22, 11:48 AM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Was yours an LE also?

Some others have non-LE cars running fine. Seems like more than a coincidence if two LE's have the same problem. Like a bad run of O2 sensors on the first few cars.
Ditto, I have the same Parking Brake Support Sensor malfunction in my LE.
Looks like this might be a widely defective part.
Hopefully, it ends up being an easy fix like a code reset.
Taking the car to the dealer Monday, will report back.
wthrman2 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 12:00 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by lexussingh
Oh man you too!? This sucks.

I feel terrible for you guys. This kind of takes all the fun out. Yea let's hope it's an easy fix.
Old 01-16-22, 12:01 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Well, well, well....that is interesting and disappointing at the same time. I have never seen something like this and having owned a Lexus ID or RC, never had a single issue except the recall on the fuel pump although it never malfunctioned....

There will like be a technical bulletin issued on the IS 500 ... these are just the members on the forum so likely more issues out there. Curious if this affects new 300/350 cars produced too...
Brandonfu (01-17-22)
Old 01-16-22, 12:01 PM
Yaroze86
Pit Crew

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Oh man you too!? This sucks.

I feel terrible for you guys. This kind of takes all the fun out. Yea let's hope it's an easy fix.

care to share last 4 of the vin to see if they are in a block of cars? No worries if you do not wish to do so.
Carolina50 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 12:06 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't have an IS 500 yet. It just sucks that macmaster, jororo and lexussingh all have to deal with this.

wthrman2 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 12:45 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I don't have an IS 500 yet. It just sucks that macmaster, jororo and lexussingh all have to deal with this.
No kidding. 😞
wthrman2 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 12:56 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaroze86
care to share last 4 of the vin to see if they are in a block of cars? No worries if you do not wish to do so.
my last four vin numbers are: 1476
If someone figures out additional info like if its a consecutive batch please let us know.
Old 01-16-22, 01:01 PM
Yaroze86
Pit Crew

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts

my last four vin numbers are: 1476
If someone figures out additional info like if its a consecutive batch please let us know.
that puts your around the #200 le mark.
Old 01-16-22, 01:18 PM
Nvicta
Pit Crew

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

Truly sucks there is an early issue occurring with these cars. I had a similar but different experience with my 2008 v8 tundra that saw infrequent use. That truck got maybe one mission a month and after many years of sitting it finally protested, throwing up some very arbitrary codes and running funny. These codes stumped most of the Yota techs but the master tech knew the symptom right away. A clogged fuel rail prohibited fuel from reaching one of the cylinders and the electric control unit put the truck in limp mode as a safe guard. Ultimately after the fuel system was cleaned, the truck ran good as new. Codes cleared. Like others on here predict, there looks to be a consistency in the issue and likely a nice fix following shortly behind.

I would say the honeymoon period for this car may be ruined or shortened for some. That is for sure. But of all the random, various issues I’ve had with my many Toyotas and Lexus, I’ve never been let down by the customer service that comes with it. That is why I’m a loyal customer. My 500 should arrive in a week here. I’m just waiting for a truck to take it from San Diego to the Bay Area. I acknowledge there may be some issues now but that doesn’t phase me. I’m still pumped!
The following 2 users liked this post by Nvicta:
Answer (01-16-22), Carolina50 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 02:25 PM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 800 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I may have missed it but I assume it's a black interior?
Yes, black interior. I must say though, seeing the Einke wheels now in person, they still don't it for me compared to the gun metallic finish that we have on our 21 IS350.
For me, I would definitely leave the Einke wheels for the winter and buy a set of gun metallic wheels (or other nicer wheels) to go with the summer tires.

Also, the dealership told me that you cannot downsize to 18" rims on the IS500 if you want to save money for winter tires/wheels. The parts manager wasn't sure, then the dealership manager jumped in and said can't be done. You're stuck with the 19" for winter tires.

Last edited by TGPCanada; 01-16-22 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 02:33 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

I don't see why 18s wouldn't fit given the GS can fit 18s and so can the ISF.
Old 01-16-22, 02:37 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

A couple months ago, this problem presented itself in the ES.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...lfunction.html

I also SWORE about a week ago I read a comment on a IS500 YouTube video that someone was disappointed because their new IS500 was already in the shop due to the CEL. I dismissed that comment because I thought it might be a troll or it would never happen to me. I can’t remember which video it was on, but it was a rather popular video I’ve seen at least 3 times and if you sort comments by New it should be somewhere near the top. I can’t look for it now because I only brought my phone on this trip. If someone could find that comment it would be very interesting.

Last edited by macmaster; 01-16-22 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance