IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22, 03:20 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Something to lighten up the mood just a little. Walked the neighborhood yesterday and this OG beauty pulled up. 💙
The following 7 users liked this post by DLPTony:
Answer (01-16-22), arentz07 (01-16-22), Carolina50 (01-16-22), LH1 (01-16-22), V8ISGreat (01-17-22), Vitveet (01-17-22), wthrman2 (01-16-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-22, 03:25 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 835 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
I don't see why 18s wouldn't fit given the GS can fit 18s and so can the ISF.
That's also my bet. Just like they told at first that 17's could not be used on the 3is.
Unless someone proves this wrong, my bet is 18's would fit assuming they are big brakes friendly.
Old 01-16-22, 03:37 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Well I'll be trying to put 18" PF01s on soon.
The following users liked this post:
Answer (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 04:19 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Well, well, well....that is interesting and disappointing at the same time. I have never seen something like this and having owned a Lexus ID or RC, never had a single issue except the recall on the fuel pump although it never malfunctioned....

There will like be a technical bulletin issued on the IS 500 ... these are just the members on the forum so likely more issues out there. Curious if this affects new 300/350 cars produced too...
I was told by the local Lexus service dept on Saturday morning (yesterday) that the three very distinctly random codes all pointed to a defective oxygen sensor, which due to the ‘newness’ of the car was a part that would have to come from Atlanta or Dallas rather than nearer SF or LA and couldn’t be ordered until Monday morning.

Can’t imagine they’d use a different oxygen sensor from the RC-F, GS-F or even the LC500, so not sure this explanation holds a lot of water as that should be a proven part and readily available, especially on the west coast. Maybe it’s just a defective batch? Regardless I’ll be waiting until at least Thursday to find out if they’re just chasing their tails, and guessing both others are going to face similar delays when they talk to their service departments tomorrow.

This experience has definitely taken the jam out of my donut. But my oh my what a fun car to drive … when it’s working !!! (Something we shouldn’t be saying about a new Lexus but this is my second rodeo).

Personally the sad part for me is this car was specifically bought to be used as our family weekend / road trip car. It’s no man’s land for hundreds of miles in every direction when you leave the Boise area, so I wanted something crazy reliable that’d just crush long highway miles. It’ll take a lot of uber reliable miles before I’ll be comfortable taking my 13mo son to any destination beyond the local playground, completely defeating the very reason for which we bought it.

Last edited by jororo; 01-16-22 at 04:29 PM.
Vitveet (01-17-22)
Old 01-16-22, 04:28 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
I was told by the local Lexus service dept on Saturday morning (yesterday) that the three very distinctly random codes all pointed to a defective oxygen sensor, which due to the ‘newness’ of the car was a part that would have to come from Atlanta or Dallas rather than nearer SF or LA and couldn’t be ordered until Monday morning.

Can’t imagine they’d use a different oxygen sensor from the RC-F, GS-F or even the LC500, so not sure this explanation holds a lot of water as that should be a proven part and readily available, especially on the west coast. Maybe it’s just a defective batch? Regardless I’ll be waiting until at least Thursday to find out if they’re just chasing their tails, and guessing both others are going to face similar delays when they talk to their service departments tomorrow.

This experience has definitely taken the jam out of my donut. But my oh my what a fun car to drive … when it’s working !!! (Something we shouldn’t be saying about a new Lexus but this is my second rodeo).

Personally the sad part for me is this car was specifically bought to be used as our family weekend road trip car. It’s no man’s land for hundreds of miles in every direction when you leave the Boise area, so I wanted something crazy reliable that’d just crush long highway miles. It’ll take a lot of uber reliable miles before I’ll be comfortable taking my 13mo son & wife to any destination beyond the local playground, completely defeating the very reason for which we bought it.
If you watch the YouTube review on the IS500 by Sarah N Tuned she looks closely at the underbody and notes that the oxygen sensor has a protective cup thingy around it. She seems to imply it’s new or at least interesting. Maybe that’s the difference?
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
jororo (01-16-22), wthrman2 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 04:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
If you watch the YouTube review on the IS500 by Sarah N Tuned she looks closely at the underbody and notes that the oxygen sensor has a protective cup thingy around it. She seems to imply it’s new or at least interesting. Maybe that’s the difference?
Not even close to new. The IS F has it. My 2006 IS350 had it. The cup is to prevent water from splashing in the ambient air ports on the side of the sensor. It fails miserably if it gets wet inside.
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Brandonfu (01-17-22), jororo (01-16-22), wthrman2 (01-16-22)
Old 01-16-22, 04:43 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not even close to new. The IS F has it. My 2006 IS350 had it. The cup is to prevent water from splashing in the ambient air ports on the side of the sensor. It fails miserably if it gets wet inside.
Yeah lol I wouldn’t have known, thanks.
Old 01-16-22, 05:25 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Yes, black interior. I must say though, seeing the Einke wheels now in person, they still don't it for me compared to the gun metallic finish that we have on our 21 IS350. For me, I would definitely leave the Einke wheels for the winter and buy a set of gun metallic wheels (or other nicer wheels) to go with the summer tires.
Thanks for confirming the interior color....I suspected it was a black interior but wanted to be sure The Enkei wheels left me cold at first but grew on me but I will see in person when it arrives at the dealer. Our wheel finish on the stock OEM wheels on the 350 is just amazing and especially on the white exterior. I have a spare wheel at the house (long story) so if I don't like the Enkei wheels and I do decide to proceed with the 500, I would just order 3 more of the OEM wheels which can be had for 495$ Cdn each despite the dealer telling me that I would have a deal if I were to order some

Old 01-16-22, 05:35 PM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, this sucks to log on and read. I take delivery of mine this upcoming weekend, non launch edition. Last 4 of VIN is about 300 higher than what was posted by lexusingh. It already has 13 miles on it and was a transfer from another Lexus dealer before getting to the dealer I'm buying from. Suspect a test drive or two. Anyone remember when it first appeared? If mine has it, it's definitely systemic. I'm not backing out of the deal though. I'm sort of used to this I guess with first run of newer models, unfortunately sometimes you have to pay the early adopter tax. Shouldn't be happening with Lexus, I agree, but also unprecedented times with manufacturing supply chains. I had a 2016 Focus RS I just sold and went through the head gasket recall fiasco. The RS never stranded me or gave me any issues throughout ownership, but definitely was not fun to go through either.

Last edited by zman21; 01-16-22 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 06:33 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by zman21
Well, this sucks to log on and read. I take delivery of mine this upcoming weekend, non launch edition. Last 4 of VIN is about 300 higher than what was posted by lexusingh. It already has 13 miles on it and was a transfer from another Lexus dealer before getting to the dealer I'm buying from. Suspect a test drive or two. Anyone remember when it first appeared? If mine has it, it's definitely systemic. I'm not backing out of the deal though. I'm sort of used to this I guess with first run of newer models, unfortunately sometimes you have to pay the early adopter tax. Shouldn't be happening with Lexus, I agree, but also unprecedented times with manufacturing supply chains. I had a 2016 Focus RS I just sold and went through the head gasket recall fiasco. The RS never stranded me or gave me any issues throughout ownership, but definitely was not fun to go through either.
I’d agree with you generally about an early adopter risk, but honestly all the parts in this car are older, off the shelf components. The engine, transmission and rest of the front half are effectively the same as an RC-F mechanically save not having the intake noise tube and guessing the braking system differs somewhat, and the back half is just a plain IS save for the Yamaha dampener, which from my understanding has been on the LC for 3-4 years now. Not trying to contradict you but I wouldn’t have bought this car first year if it wasn’t a combination of a tons of old & proven components.
Old 01-16-22, 06:58 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

I had a little less than 100 miles when it threw the code.
Old 01-16-22, 06:58 PM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
I’d agree with you generally about an early adopter risk, but honestly all the parts in this car are older, off the shelf components. The engine, transmission and rest of the front half are effectively the same as an RC-F mechanically save not having the intake noise tube and guessing the braking system differs somewhat, and the back half is just a plain IS save for the Yamaha dampener, which from my understanding has been on the LC for 3-4 years now. Not trying to contradict you but I wouldn’t have bought this car first year if it wasn’t a combination of a tons of old & proven components.
Yeah, true. Components like sensors though are definitely candidates to be sourced elsewhere due to current constraints. Hopefully it isn't a big problem. I'm already 0/1 on new vehicles in the last decade of driving, so I'll probably go 0/2 lol.
Old 01-16-22, 07:01 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexussingh
my last four vin numbers are: 1476
If someone figures out additional info like if its a consecutive batch please let us know.
You = 1476
Jororo = 15xx (hidden for privacy)
me = 1604

and then there’s that mysterious YouTube commenter. Lol somebody please find that video and comment. Should be a comment less than 2 weeks old on one of the reviews.
Old 01-16-22, 07:09 PM
jeasher
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone for your concern. I was so excited to share my success story and photos with you guys but this puts a serious wrinkle in all my plans and my trust in the Lexus brand.

here’s the million dollar question. Would you guys either:

(A) return the car as the dealer allows me. Get a refund on the down payment and cancel the loan contract (I pray that’s not complicated). Chalk it up as a learning experience.
OR
(B) keep the car and let them repair it. Fly home and get it shipped to me (it would be nice if they helped pay for that)
If the dealer will take the car back and you get out scot free (and maybe even have some expenses reimbursed) take option A. Go home and chalk it up to a learning experience. You can get an IS500 in a few months. This all assumes you have a car for the short term.

If you were local I'd say option B, but since you are on the road and have responsibilities coming up, you need certainty and this situation isn't it.
Brandonfu (01-17-22)
Old 01-16-22, 07:17 PM
Yaroze86
Pit Crew

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts

So far they are all in or super close to the LE 200s area. Depending on the 1500 is an early or later number then all are in the 200s.

You = 1476
Jororo = 15xx (hidden for privacy)
me = 1604

and then there’s that mysterious YouTube commenter. Lol somebody please find that video and comment. Should be a comment less than 2 weeks old on one of the reviews.

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance