IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22, 11:54 PM
EhArgh
Driver

Received 95 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is my car with a

No CEL with the exhaust disconnected, getting a shop to make a custom valved muffler bypass.

Can anyone let me know which front license plate relocates work, can't find any information.
The following users liked this post:
Brandonfu (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 01:27 AM
GenEric587
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody catch that IS500 ad from coliseum lexus of oakland? Those folks have the audacity to list it at 92k

edit: 93k lol amazing.
TipsyTonio (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 04:08 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

So I woke up and had the most random thought. How would you guys feel about a Cadmium Orange IS? Am I the only one that things it could look really cool? Anyone up to photoshop it? Lmao
Carolina50 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 04:11 AM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Let’s all not jump to conclusions..!!

Now, with a few owners experiencing the CEL issues - we may need the MODS to slice out the related posts and make a dedicated thread so any new owners experiencing this issue knows what to expect and benefit from lessons learned…
I think this topic is VERY relevant in this thread. Yes, if it continues and solution(s) are known it would also be helpful for it to have its own thread, but 99.9% of the people reading this thread have just bought, are about to buy, or are thinking about buying an IS 500, and effectively that is what this thread is about - the anticipation to buy and the initial ownership experience. All of us owned our cars very briefly - all less than 24 hours unless I’m mistaken.

After picking mine up I drove back 430 miles or so thru incredibly sparsely populated high desert - if this issue had crept up then I could have been in huge trouble. ‘Luckily’ it popped up the next morning when I was back in a metropolitan area. New & potential buyers need to know this, if only to give them pause as to whether they should buy one from a dealer far from home, and this is the exact thread for them to give added weight to this potential risk. Or to allow them to have more info when considering buying an extended warranty (which 3 days ago I would’ve answered F no, it’s a Lexus), or maybe getting enhanced towing coverage, etc. This car is hard to get and many (like Macmaster and myself) bought it out of state. I drove it 455 miles and made it home before the CEL struck, but he’s stuck nearly a thousand miles away from home after not even getting 3 miles into his ownership experience.

Far as I know I’m the only one who has had a dealer run codes and ‘diagnose’ the problem (defective oxygen sensor), but my 455 mile, 23hr old car will continue to be at the dealer for 5-6 days minimum while they wait for the part which only then will we (I?) know if it fixes my car. The two others facing similar issues, from what I understand, won’t be able to even get their cars looked at by a Lexus service department until later today. For all we know their CELs could be caused by a completely different issue(s), and this too would need to be readily known to current & potential owners rather than squirreled away out of view on a newly created, soon-to-be buried thread so that this thread can keep only the most positive of superlatives gushing forth.

Last edited by jororo; 01-17-22 at 04:50 AM.
Brandonfu (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 04:16 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ Which is why my thought is that they relied on an external supplier due to some part shortage amid COVID and/or the supplier had a bad batch - I mean it happened with the fuel pumps. To me what is annoying is that the part shortage only exacerbate the ability to get replacement parts....I would hate my car to be at a dealer for a couple of weeks waiting for a part especially when the car is brand new...
DLPTony (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 04:23 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Since these error codes seem to be happening almost immediately, I think I will drive around in circles around the dealership for the first 50 miles. If no error codes appear, I'll then head home. LOLOL.
LOL!! This actually doesn’t sound half bad of an idea.

Originally Posted by lexussingh
Im thinking about canceling the extended warranty and service plan. I will most likely renegotiate the warranty but i think the service plan i a complete rip off. 1995 for 50k miles with a service interval of 5k miles. That comes to $200 a month. I can do all the oil changes myself and i can Have the car inspected by my family mechanic or even have him do everything. As long as its well documented they can not deny warranty claims. I was tired as hell and felt pushed into this agreement.

what do you guys think?
I follow Clark Howard religiously and he has never supported extended warranties. Additionally, you’re buying a Toyota/Lexus product, not a Bimmer or Merc. The rep is rock solid, so I’d say cancel the EW.

https://clark.com/cars/extended-car-warranty/amp/
Old 01-17-22, 04:34 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Same here, my thought is that if something is gonna wrong with a Lexus, it will be out of the gate like we are seeing with these sensors....Once they're rectified/repaired, I suspect the rest of the car will be solid. I personally never buy any service or extended warranty plans but I respect everyone's personal tolerance to risk and such, some just want total peace of mind.
DLPTony (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 04:38 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

^^ Agreed about the peace of mind. I’m in need of it too, hence the soon-to-be 5 time Lexus owner. 😜 The thought of constant repairs and having to coordinate the visits to the service dept. gives me hives. Other manufacturers have cars just as pretty as the IS, but no thank you. 😎
wthrman2 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 04:58 AM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Which is why my thought is that they relied on an external supplier due to some part shortage amid COVID and/or the supplier had a bad batch - I mean it happened with the fuel pumps. To me what is annoying is that the part shortage only exacerbate the ability to get replacement parts....I would hate my car to be at a dealer for a couple of weeks waiting for a part especially when the car is brand new...
Lord I hope so. It is odd that the dealer service tech told me that since the car is ‘so new’ the oxygen sensor would have to come from a much further supply house. I would have bet good money it would’ve been the same part number as the GS-F/RC-F and possibly LC500, if not dozens of other Lexuses given no need to have a special oxygen sensor for a V8 vs an I-4/V6.

Also here’s to (oddly) hoping that the other two have the same root cause -and- a defective oxygen sensor is actually the root cause.
Old 01-17-22, 05:07 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Yeah, I hear what you are saying - There is some hope on my end too that all these errors are all related because it is easier to accept a defective part than a series of random glitches but my gut feeling tells me that when it's all said and done, there will be a common element that will come out and likely a TSB if there is a link to a batch of defective components to have all cars affected by them. I could be wrong but keep us posted and I feel bad for you guys, I really do....But I am confident it will be sorted out relatively quick.
Old 01-17-22, 05:07 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

What’s crazy is that according to my salesman, other dealerships have learned about my situation and have customers who want to buy my car after it’s fixed. I don’t know if any of that was from this forum, but if so, some amongst us are vultures. To that I say, if I return this car, good luck. Yes it’ll only have 20 miles on the odometer (more after diagnosing it) but it might indeed be a 1st gen lemon. Probably not but who knows. I even know the dealer would personally prefer to cancel my transaction than pay the full cost of shipping. Thats understandable but right now it is my car and they have a responsibility to try to make me whole. I worked hard to get here, literally and metaphorically. Not giving up.
The following 3 users liked this post by macmaster:
Compromise (01-17-22), DLPTony (01-17-22), wthrman2 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 05:12 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

^^^ Right on, don’t give up! We’re there with you.
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
macmaster (01-17-22), wthrman2 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 05:28 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

macmaster - you are safe from me, I am Canadian and only buy white (lol) Like DLPTony said, it is your choice to bail or stick it out but regardless of the choice you make, we'll understand and be here for ya, all we ask is that you keep us posted
macmaster (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 05:30 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
I think this topic is VERY relevant in this thread. Yes, if it continues and solution(s) are known it would also be helpful for it to have its own thread, but 99.9% of the people reading this thread have just bought, are about to buy, or are thinking about buying an IS 500, and effectively that is what this thread is about - the anticipation to buy and the initial ownership experience. All of us owned our cars very briefly - all less than 24 hours unless I’m mistaken.

After picking mine up I drove back 430 miles or so thru incredibly sparsely populated high desert - if this issue had crept up then I could have been in huge trouble. ‘Luckily’ it popped up the next morning when I was back in a metropolitan area. New & potential buyers need to know this, if only to give them pause as to whether they should buy one from a dealer far from home, and this is the exact thread for them to give added weight to this potential risk. Or to allow them to have more info when considering buying an extended warranty (which 3 days ago I would’ve answered F no, it’s a Lexus), or maybe getting enhanced towing coverage, etc. This car is hard to get and many (like Macmaster and myself) bought it out of state. I drove it 455 miles and made it home before the CEL struck, but he’s stuck nearly a thousand miles away from home after not even getting 3 miles into his ownership experience.

Far as I know I’m the only one who has had a dealer run codes and ‘diagnose’ the problem (defective oxygen sensor), but my 455 mile, 23hr old car will continue to be at the dealer for 5-6 days minimum while they wait for the part which only then will we (I?) know if it fixes my car. The two others facing similar issues, from what I understand, won’t be able to even get their cars looked at by a Lexus service department until later today. For all we know their CELs could be caused by a completely different issue(s), and this too would need to be readily known to current & potential owners rather than squirreled away out of view on a newly created, soon-to-be buried thread so that this thread can keep only the most positive of superlatives gushing forth.
199% agree. On Saturday afternoon I was about to sign on the dotted line for the IS500. Dealer was giving me good trade value for my IS350 and was throwing in the winter tires for free. For some reason, I stalled and told dealer I need the rest of the weekend to think about it. Then, on Saturday night I read macmaster's post, and I'm like "Oh great, what's the story with this CEL thing now?" Sunday morning, others join the CEL party. Now, I'm glued to this thread (and pretty much only this thread) hour by hour. It's winter here, can't afford to give away my currently reliable 21 IS350 (knock on wood), and wait 3-4 weeks for a sensor to come in from Chuckleberry, Arkansas (or wherever it's coming from), get stuck at the border because the entire staff at customs control has Omicron.

At this point, I'd rather wait to see how this whole saga unfolds. We need to find the root cause . Not guesswork at O2 sensors and the like. I'll willing to take the risk that someone else will snap up the IS500 I saw on Saturday. There will be more IS500's coming in the future. Worst case, I custom order and it takes 3-4 months to arrive.
wthrman2 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 05:35 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I found the video (Matt Marans review) and the comment. This may be patient zero.

The following 4 users liked this post by macmaster:
Joe Z (01-17-22), jororo (01-17-22), V8ISGreat (01-17-22), wthrman2 (01-17-22)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance