IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-22, 05:44 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
What’s crazy is that according to my salesman, other dealerships have learned about my situation and have customers who want to buy my car after it’s fixed. I don’t know if any of that was from this forum, but if so, some amongst us are vultures. To that I say, if I return this car, good luck. Yes it’ll only have 20 miles on the odometer (more after diagnosing it) but it might indeed be a 1st gen lemon. Probably not but who knows. I even know the dealer would personally prefer to cancel my transaction than pay the full cost of shipping. Thats understandable but right now it is my car and they have a responsibility to try to make me whole. I worked hard to get here, literally and metaphorically. Not giving up.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Just go sit at the service waiting area and sip on some lemonade until they diagnose it. Hopefully it’s nothing serious….
The following users liked this post:
macmaster (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 05:53 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
^^^ Right on, don’t give up! We’re there with you.
Man, really feel for macmaster on this one. This is an expensive car. The guy travelled far to get it. Right out of the gate, you get a CEL. I guess the only good thing here is that this is rampant now.
The more people have the same problem, the quicker a solution will be found as more and more techs are looking at it and the info is being shared.
The following 3 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
DLPTony (01-17-22), jororo (01-17-22), macmaster (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 06:06 AM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

I found the video (Matt Marans review) and the comment. This may be patient zero.

Dangit .... nobody remembers the silver medalist !!! But good find nonetheless.

I am wondering how involved Toyota/Lexus corporate is on this already. I waited around 2+ hours at the dealership the other day while they 'diagnosed' it ... which consisted of my car being in the service bay for about 5 minutes followed by the service tech then being on the phone for almost two hours, ending with the explanation of a defective oxygen sensor being passed along with all the confidence of someone trying to deflect blame for a fart in a two-seat car. Corporate's involvement might also explain why I was told the part would effectively have to come from Plano (Toyota HQ) rather than a nearby parts depot ... perhaps they want to use a proven Denso sensor after pandemic issues forced them to source it from another supplier?

Last edited by jororo; 01-17-22 at 06:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jororo:
macmaster (01-17-22), wthrman2 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 06:11 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

While we fixate on the oxygen sensor let’s not forget the parking brake either. I think this is the same warning that I got for my electronic parking brake malfunction, albeit mine came with the CEL and a flashing PKSA (+traffic cone) symbol.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...unction-2.html

this guy said he had to replace the parking brake unit
jororo (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 06:43 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Man, really feel for macmaster on this one. This is an expensive car. The guy travelled far to get it. Right out of the gate, you get a CEL. I guess the only good thing here is that this is rampant now.
The more people have the same problem, the quicker a solution will be found as more and more techs are looking at it and the info is being shared.
Trust me, I do too. Until we get the official word for these four examples, I’m trying to help keep a positive spin on the situation. If I was in any of their shoes, I’d need it, because my brain would oscillate between ****-ness and dread. Praying this is a speed bump and we all can go back to congratulating each other when our specs are picked up.
Old 01-17-22, 06:58 AM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by EhArgh
Here is my car with a "muffler bypass"

No CEL with the exhaust disconnected, getting a shop to make a custom valved muffler bypass.

Can anyone let me know which front license plate relocates work, can't find any information.
are you worried about being denied warranty coverage? I want to get a bolt on exhaust in the future or perhaps even do this mod.
Old 01-17-22, 07:05 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by lexussingh
are you worried about being denied warranty coverage? I want to get a bolt on exhaust in the future or perhaps even do this mod.
Per the Magnuson Moss Warranty act, your dealer and Lexus would have to prove without questionable doubt that your modification caused damage to whatever failed. Yes you will lose warranty on the exhaust obviously, but if anything else in the powertrain department breaks, they would have to prove that the exhaust caused the failure. They will probably scare you and tell you they will cancel your warranty, and they might even go that far, but just open a case with Lexus Corporate and be sure to mention the Magnuson Moss warranty act and watch how quickly your warranty gets activated again.
Old 01-17-22, 07:08 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

While we fixate on the oxygen sensor let’s not forget the parking brake either. I think this is the same warning that I got for my electronic parking brake malfunction, albeit mine came with the CEL and a flashing PKSA (+traffic cone) symbol.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...unction-2.html

this guy said he had to replace the parking brake unit
I wouldn't get too fixated on this as this owner had just that light turn on. You had other lights as you said, and they all came on at the same time, so it is safe to assume that whatever caused the CEL also caused the other things. It's kinda like how turning off traction control causes the car to also disable the pre collision system. All these safety features have a bunch of dependencies.
Old 01-17-22, 07:38 AM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

I was thinking too about all the press this car did the previous 6 months.

I know they were all pre production cars but they get the absolute snot kicked out of them for 4-5k miles both on and off the street. None of the press reported any issues I can tell. Think Lexus/Toyota muzzled any that did appear?

Still seems to point to some sensor/electrical component that was maybe sourced differently for volume production.
Old 01-17-22, 08:05 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Let us not forget several pages back of the beautiful LE that was totaled on the drive home... put things back into perspective. It's a sensor, one little part, on an amazing car... it doesn't mean it's a lemon. Just get it fixed and enjoy! It is heart-wrenching (1st world problem) to have a brand new car with a CEL, but think a few months from now when you're clicking off shifts at 7300 rpm with a **** eating grin on your face

To those that are now hesitant to keep or purchase an IS 500... If 6 months from now you're still in and out of the shop I bet you can sell the car without a loss, especially if you purchased at MSRP! Give it a try, you don't have much to lose other than a little time.

It is still everything a Lexus is... great ride, quiet, powerful, great stereo, reliable, ice cold AC, etc. etc... just fix the sensor
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
DLPTony (01-17-22), wthrman2 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 08:10 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

You = 1476
Jororo = 15xx (hidden for privacy)
me = 1604

and then there’s that mysterious YouTube commenter. Lol somebody please find that video and comment. Should be a comment less than 2 weeks old on one of the reviews.
I just found mine, it's in the 1800s, so we'll see if they got it fixed.
Old 01-17-22, 08:23 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

It is unfortunate that none of the Canadian models have been impacted by the issue so far because it is not a holiday here and we could have heard from the folks in Canada - Maybe it is related to the sunroof since we don't have it in Canada (lol) - Just kidding.

I am dying to hear the outcome - It is either a bad batch from the traditional supplier, a different supplier or something that happened during the assembly line....Can't wait to hear what the outcome and solution will be
Old 01-17-22, 08:42 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

I have an update!!

It’s the exhaust. The CEL was for the O2 sensor, but the O2 sensor was tested (all parameters within spec) and is working correctly (heating up as it should, etc). Then he looked upstream and apparently there’s a gap in one of the flanges of the exhaust. From my understanding he has a tool he can fit through the side of the exhaust and on one side of the exhaust it was solid, but on another there was a gap. I guess this lets air in, and this is what’s kicking the O2 sensor out. He proved this by spraying soap and water on the O2 sensor and after running the car that soap and water had blown off. Meaning there’s air coming through the exhaust and the exhaust needs to be replaced.
The following 5 users liked this post by macmaster:
Carolina50 (01-17-22), Compromise (01-17-22), Haku415 (01-17-22), IssaV8 (01-18-22), wthrman2 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 08:44 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Good excuse for everyone to get an aftermarket exhaust.
Vitveet (01-18-22)
Old 01-17-22, 08:50 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Ok it doesn’t need a NEW exhaust. He adjusted the flange and tightened it to how it should’ve come so theres no gap.
The following 4 users liked this post by macmaster:
DLPTony (01-17-22), nmdjr (01-17-22), V8ISGreat (01-17-22), wthrman2 (01-17-22)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance