IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22 | 03:46 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The Forged BBS in Black are available over the Lexus parts counters… But as usual they will run ballpark of $6-$8k. Just for the wheels alone are about $2k each, depending where you buy.. I’m just putting the LIST prices.
Thanks for posting, I was just about to say, Lexus dealers will have to offer the wheels at the part's counter because if they are part of the stock vehicle (350 DHP and 5000 LE), customers must be able to get the parts if they need a replacement - I had inquired back in November when I was floating the idea of the LE and the stock wheel of my 350 ran ~495$ and the part person quoted 1600$ for the BBS and I thought she was wrong so I never really questioned it, or I thought she meant for the set of 4 but you confirmed these wheels are THAT expensive!! Yikes, I would not want to have to replace 1 (or god forbid more than 1) of these puppies.

Originally Posted by teamlexus1
I pray that will be the case. The alloy Enkei wheels look horrible with ultra white. Lexus should have offered the black BBS wheels as an option for the 2022 models and charge a premium. I would prefer the red suede interior from the RCF Fuji or LC500.
To be honest, I felt the same way initially but after seeing many pics of people posting their white with the Enkei wheels, my perception has changed. Do I like them more than my stock OEM wheel on my 2021 IS 350? Nope because our finish in Canada is simply amazing however, on the white car I am not a fan of the BBS wheels, or any black wheels for that matter. This is just a personal preference obviously but when you live in Canada and everyone drive black steel wheels all winter or install cheap after market black wheels, it takes away also from my love of the black wheels. To me, I like seeing a contrast from the tire and also, being able to see a wheel pattern as the car is moving and it is virtually impossible with a black wheel. Again, that is just my opinion and could be related to my age and somewhat conservative approach, heck I even love a boring white car (lol). That being said, I am considering buying the stock OEM wheels from the 350 to replace the Enkei wheels just because I think I will hate cleaning them and at 1500$ to replace the set (I already have a spare one at home), that covers more than the price of 1 BBS wheel
Old 01-18-22 | 03:51 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The Forged BBS in Black are available over the Lexus parts counters… But as usual they will run ballpark of $6-$8k. Just for the wheels alone are about $2k each, depending where you buy..

I’m just putting the LIST prices.

Front - 42611-WY320

Rear - 42611-WY330

___

Joe Z
The real question is, will Lexus even sell you one even if you cough up the money? In the past certain parts have been exclusive to owners that actually provide a vin for a car that brought it from the factory.
Old 01-18-22 | 04:01 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ To be honest, they'll sell you one but usually, the reason they ask for the VIN is mainly because they need it to pull the information on the screen otherwise it is hard for them to locate the info. Just provide the VIN of a car that has BBS wheels just to help them locate the part number and that won't matter. I have ordered suspension part (RC F LCA bushings) despite not being meant for my car
Old 01-18-22 | 04:05 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ To be honest, they'll sell you one but usually, the reason they ask for the VIN is mainly because they need it to pull the information on the screen otherwise it is hard for them to locate the info. Just provide the VIN of a car that has BBS wheels just to help them locate the part number and that won't matter. I have ordered suspension part (RC F LCA bushings) despite not being meant for my car
Right but in the past, certain special components like the carbon fiber hood from the RCF Fuji Speedway edition have been heavily restricted. People eventually have found workarounds to actually get them, but it’s not as easy going to the parts desk and ordering any other part. So I’m curious if the BBS wheels are the same since it’s part of the 500 LE
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 04:48 AM
is500le
Pit Crew

I was quoted 9k for a set at parts counter.
Old 01-18-22 | 04:48 AM
zman21
Driver

Thanks for posting, I was just about to say, Lexus dealers will have to offer the wheels at the part's counter because if they are part of the stock vehicle (350 DHP and 5000 LE), customers must be able to get the parts if they need a replacement - I had inquired back in November when I was floating the idea of the LE and the stock wheel of my 350 ran ~495$ and the part person quoted 1600$ for the BBS and I thought she was wrong so I never really questioned it, or I thought she meant for the set of 4 but you confirmed these wheels are THAT expensive!! Yikes, I would not want to have to replace 1 (or god forbid more than 1) of these puppies.

To be honest, I felt the same way initially but after seeing many pics of people posting their white with the Enkei wheels, my perception has changed. Do I like them more than my stock OEM wheel on my 2021 IS 350? Nope because our finish in Canada is simply amazing however, on the white car I am not a fan of the BBS wheels, or any black wheels for that matter. This is just a personal preference obviously but when you live in Canada and everyone drive black steel wheels all winter or install cheap after market black wheels, it takes away also from my love of the black wheels. To me, I like seeing a contrast from the tire and also, being able to see a wheel pattern as the car is moving and it is virtually impossible with a black wheel. Again, that is just my opinion and could be related to my age and somewhat conservative approach, heck I even love a boring white car (lol). That being said, I am considering buying the stock OEM wheels from the 350 to replace the Enkei wheels just because I think I will hate cleaning them and at 1500$ to replace the set (I already have a spare one at home), that covers more than the price of 1 BBS wheel

Wow, I was looking at also trying to get my hands on the BBS wheels also. Since these also come on the 350 F Sport I'm surprised they are so expensive.

I'm kind of in the opposite camp. I don't like the silver wheel finish with darker window tint, regardless of exterior color. Darkish tint and black wheels just look so good.

I had a shop quote me about $800 for full satin black powder coat. What does everyone think about that? The multi spoke design of the Enkei wheels is definitely unique. Anyone good with photoshop and can put a satin black finish on the Enkei's against USB haha?
Old 01-18-22 | 05:00 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by zman21
Wow, I was looking at also trying to get my hands on the BBS wheels also. Since these also come on the 350 F Sport I'm surprised they are so expensive.

I'm kind of in the opposite camp. I don't like the silver wheel finish with darker window tint, regardless of exterior color. Darkish tint and black wheels just look so good.

I had a shop quote me about $800 for full satin black powder coat. What does everyone think about that? The multi spoke design of the Enkei wheels is definitely unique. Anyone good with photoshop and can put a satin black finish on the Enkei's against USB haha?
Not to discourage you as I think it’ll look good, but make sure you know the upkeep required on any matte or satin finish. I probably spend more time cleaning my rims than I do the whole car. The finish on these BBS wheels is super sensitive to something as simple as water. You have to make sure that they stay super dry or it’ll be super visible. And the clean procedure in general is more time consuming to make sure I don’t scratch them. Aside from that, I think it’ll look great in black.
wthrman2 (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 05:03 AM
Yaroze86
Pit Crew

Personally I would find a set like the bbs wheels like this.

https://m.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelC...!&gclsrc=aw.ds
Carolina50 (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 05:07 AM
zman21
Driver

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Not to discourage you as I think it’ll look good, but make sure you know the upkeep required on any matte or satin finish. I probably spend more time cleaning my rims than I do the whole car. The finish on these BBS wheels is super sensitive to something as simple as water. You have to make sure that they stay super dry or it’ll be super visible. And the clean procedure in general is more time consuming to make sure I don’t scratch them. Aside from that, I think it’ll look great in black.
A had a previous vehicle that had satin black wheels with big brakes and they spit brake dust. I know the pain, but worth it.

Originally Posted by Yaroze86
Personally I would find a set like the bbs wheels like this.

https://m.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelC...!&gclsrc=aw.ds
I've looked around but I'm not coming up with many options for 19".
Old 01-18-22 | 05:08 AM
drawg22
Driver

I don't mean to brag, but I was able to get a full set of the BBS wheels recently that some one traded in to wheel & tire store for what looks like the price of 1 1/2 brand new wheels. They had to be refinished, since they were slightly used and I have yet to compare the finish to the wheels on my LE since it's not in yet, but they look good. I now have a set for my winter tires and for my summer and now my LE will look the same year round. I tried to go through my dealer and they couldn't even find them to be able to sell them so I got lucky in finding these. I checked and the the place I got them from only had the one set.
Old 01-18-22 | 05:26 AM
Vitveet
Racer

I agree that you have both made good points except you are a bit contradicting yourself because you say that the the market adjustments will be gone but the MSRP will be way so that the net difference will be the same while he says that after the hype, they'll be trunk money hence paying below the current MSRP...I am not saying this to be rude but just to get a bit more clarification for those trying to decide how best to proceed. This is a moot point here in Canada as they sell at MSRP (or less).
MSRP will go up, having these market adjustments already built in. Ofcourse once the bulk of the pandemic is over (once people/companies don't have to close/take off work because they test positive or someone close by tested positive), production of everything will finally surpass demand (which we would call "normal"). Once this happens, we will be able to negotiate prices down on new items, like "normal" and once that happens, obviously, used items don't hold as much value because the new items are plentiful and can be had at "discounts". I predict that the discounts on future IS500's will put us back around the current msrp of the current IS500.
No one knows how long these shortages and "pandemic" will last. Maybe another 6 months, maybe 3-4 years. No one knows. So I suggest getting what you want and can afford. No such waiting around for something if there's no definite of how long you'll wait, lol.
And on the CEL's, don't overreact, lol! We all love Lexus because of reliability. A CEL doesn't automatically make a car unreliable. We all knew going into this that big companies we either short staffed or hired employees off the street/unqualified (or both) to try to ramp up production/maintain previous year profits/make current year projections. With that done, obviously the quality will fall off, but rest assured, Lexus has your back. Other brands have issues and more of them as well, lol. Buy with confidence!

V.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vitveet:
drawg22 (01-18-22), wthrman2 (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 05:29 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I appreciate the clarification...
Old 01-18-22 | 06:34 AM
Yri
Advanced

There are two types of people: 'Oh I wouldn't worry about the check engine light right now' and 'Guys I think my weatherstripping is off 0.22 inches'
The following 2 users liked this post by Yri:
Nvicta (01-18-22), Vitveet (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 06:43 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by Yri
There are two types of people: 'Oh I wouldn't worry about the check engine light right now' and 'Guys I think my weatherstripping is off 0.22 inches'
FYI, I measured it, and its 1.25cm. But a defect is a defect nonetheless
The following 3 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
Carolina50 (01-18-22), DLPTony (01-18-22), wthrman2 (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 06:45 AM
kval
Driver School Candidate

I've been lurking this thread forever and appreciate all the info I've gotten from it. Recently allocated a black on white which is supposed to be getting on a ship this friday according to the salesman. Now I'm very nervous about this CEL crap and checked the VIN to see if it was close to other numbers but I'm stumped bc the last several numbers of VIN are letters and numbers. It does show up in the app as IS500.
TipsyTonio (01-18-22)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance