IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-22 | 02:15 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Honestly, one of the things I like best about the IS F (vs. the wife's GS F) is it feels more athletic and violent when you ask it to do fun things. None of these cars feel fast if you're on the highway. 120 in the IS F feels just like 75. I'm pretty sure the IS500 is the same in that regard, but the way the IS F snaps to attention is on a different order than the GS F (and I'd bet the same for the IS500.)
What kind of things do you ask your IS F to do? Keep it PG man, this is a family forum.
Old 02-08-22 | 02:28 PM
m335
Rookie

Honestly, one of the things I like best about the IS F (vs. the wife's GS F) is it feels more athletic and violent when you ask it to do fun things. None of these cars feel fast if you're on the highway. 120 in the IS F feels just like 75. I'm pretty sure the IS500 is the same in that regard, but the way the IS F snaps to attention is on a different order than the GS F (and I'd bet the same for the IS500.)
you are most likely right but for me ISF just doesn't work..i tried hard to like it but I can't get past looks and interior. When I am buying lexus I am already compromising for v8+reliability. If i want driver focus and feel I will get german or cadi no question there. That leaves is500 and rcf both are good enough for my purpose👍
Old 02-08-22 | 03:33 PM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

Car and Driver got 4.2 seconds 0-60 and 12.7 1/4 mile in IS 500 with stock tires and trim. These numbers rival a base C7 Corvette. https://accelerationtimes.com/models...te-stingray-c7 I'm sure some dragster junkies will beat those times. Those times don't exactly suck. If this were a Porsche with its in-your-face "I'm fast, look at me" or a BMW claiming to be the "Ultimate Driving Machine", laying claim to these numbers, I'd roll my eyes and snicker.

Lexus never claimed that the IS 500 FSP would be a track monster. Lexus claimed that the car is a daily driver with some enhanced performance, which is exactly what this car is. It's a very nice and well-built car. It costs $20K less than an M3 Competition or Audi RS5; put another way, the M3 or RS5 cost nearly a third more than an IS 500. Rumor has it that there will be revised "F" cars with twin-turbo V8s and edgier performance- if they emerge, maybe I'll buy one. All of these cars will be smoked by a cheap, modded second-hand Civic/Mustang/370Z, so at the end of the day, don't measure your hoo-hah by your car's performance. Buy what you like and enjoy it. There was no deception on the part of Lexus. The car delivers what it said. The only exception would be if the trans cooler has been omitted. The reviewers mentioned the presence of the trans cooler, and in spite of the "pre-production model" disclaimer, I think it's fair for us to have expected this feature to remain on our "performance-ish" sedans.

I'll report back on the transmission cooler presence or absence once I look at my car. I will be disappointed if the transmission cooler was omitted, and if that's the case, will complain to Lexus. If the trans cooler is omitted and enough of us scream loudly enough, maybe we can get them retrofitted.
The following 4 users liked this post by AJinDFW:
Carolina50 (02-08-22), LEO2022 (02-09-22), m335 (02-08-22), natnut (02-09-22)
Old 02-08-22 | 04:01 PM
m335
Rookie

Originally Posted by AJinDFW
Car and Driver got 4.2 seconds 0-60 and 12.7 1/4 mile in IS 500 with stock tires and trim. These numbers rival a base C7 Corvette. https://accelerationtimes.com/models...te-stingray-c7 I'm sure some dragster junkies will beat those times. Those times don't exactly suck. If this were a Porsche with its in-your-face "I'm fast, look at me" or a BMW claiming to be the "Ultimate Driving Machine", laying claim to these numbers, I'd roll my eyes and snicker.

Lexus never claimed that the IS 500 FSP would be a track monster. Lexus claimed that the car is a daily driver with some enhanced performance, which is exactly what this car is. It's a very nice and well-built car. It costs $20K less than an M3 Competition or Audi RS5; put another way, the M3 or RS5 cost nearly a third more than an IS 500. Rumor has it that there will be revised "F" cars with twin-turbo V8s and edgier performance- if they emerge, maybe I'll buy one. All of these cars will be smoked by a cheap, modded second-hand Civic/Mustang/370Z, so at the end of the day, don't measure your hoo-hah by your car's performance. Buy what you like and enjoy it. There was no deception on the part of Lexus. The car delivers what it said. The only exception would be if the trans cooler has been omitted. The reviewers mentioned the presence of the trans cooler, and in spite of the "pre-production model" disclaimer, I think it's fair for us to have expected this feature to remain on our "performance-ish" sedans.

I'll report back on the transmission cooler presence or absence once I look at my car. I will be disappointed if the transmission cooler was omitted, and if that's the case, will complain to Lexus. If the trans cooler is omitted and enough of us scream loudly enough, maybe we can get them retrofitted.
completely agree. Definitely complain to dealer about cooler and brake pad. I am hoping in few months they will bring ot as accessory. Lexus will not mess with C&D by giving wrong info. One thing that I am trying to understand is for dealer install accessory can it be done afterwards or has to be at car delivery?
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (02-08-22)
Old 02-08-22 | 04:36 PM
95bat
Racer

They're respectable times, but this car isn't C7 fast. I owned one, I know lol. The C7 will clock low 12s stock all day long. On a crap road I ran 0-60 in 4.0 and a 12.2 1/4 mile. A lot of C7 members have ran high 3s to 60. The C7 has a boat load more torque very low in the rpm range.
lobuxracer (02-08-22)
Old 02-08-22 | 06:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by m335
completely agree. Definitely complain to dealer about cooler and brake pad. I am hoping in few months they will bring ot as accessory. Lexus will not mess with C&D by giving wrong info. One thing that I am trying to understand is for dealer install accessory can it be done afterwards or has to be at car delivery?
@AJinDFW

We covered this about 2 months ago unfortunately….

First Look: PRODUCTION * 2022 IS 500 F Sport Performance - Launch Edition & Premium

The external ATF cooler was rumored to be be available later this year as a dealer installed option.

At least C&D is the first to mention this to the public..

Which means they are working on a kit of sorts to accommodate additional lines, bracket and ATF fluid add in, as well as fluid level set procedure. I don’t expect any of this to be “cheap” by any means.

High Friction pads sounds like a great idea for track duty, but of course they will dust heavily..

Look at the bright side the rear calipers were made black on all IS 500..

All the preproduction units looked out of place with silver rear calipers..
Don’t think they fixed this on the MY22 IS 350’s either.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-08-22 at 06:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Joe Z:
AJinDFW (02-08-22), m335 (02-09-22), wthrman2 (02-09-22)
Old 02-08-22 | 06:13 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe Z
@AJinDFW

We covered this about 2 months ago unfortunately….

First Look: PRODUCTION * 2022 IS 500 F Sport Performance - Launch Edition & Premium

The external ATF cooler was rumored to be be available later this year as a dealer installed option.

At least C&D is the first to mention this to the public..

Which means they are working on a kit of sorts to accommodate additional lines, bracket and ATF fluid add in, as well as fluid level set procedure. I don’t expect any of this to be “cheap” by any means.

High Friction pads sounds like a great idea for track duty, but of course they will dust heavily..

Look at the bright side the rear calipers were made black on all IS 500..

All the preproduction units looked out of place with silver rear calipers..
Don’t think they fixed this on the MY22 IS 350’s either.

Joe Z
They did not fix it on the 350s
You wouldn't have the part number for it would you? Better yet, an even bigger challenge, do you have the part number for the front and rear orange calipers offered on the IS350 Mode Black in Japan?
Carolina50 (02-08-22)
Old 02-08-22 | 06:14 PM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 95bat
They're respectable times, but this car isn't C7 fast. I owned one, I know lol. The C7 will clock low 12s stock all day long. On a crap road I ran 0-60 in 4.0 and a 12.2 1/4 mile. A lot of C7 members have ran high 3s to 60. The C7 has a boat load more torque very low in the rpm range.
Gotcha. Just bench racing. Your times vs those of others illustrate the importance of ambient conditions and driver on a cars performance envelope. My point was that the IS 500 is by no means slow. In typical J-car fashion, I expect there will be decent mods for those who want to keep these cars and make them faster.

It seems clear that there’s something suboptimal about a C7 turning a 13.0 1/4 mile. There were people running sub 11 second times with stock/near stock C6 Z06.
Old 02-08-22 | 06:17 PM
J10Penny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 95bat
This car needs some help in the tire department to come close to getting the numbers quoted by journalists. To be fair road temps being higher also impact the result.

Brandonfu (02-11-22)
Old 02-08-22 | 06:25 PM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

When I had my IS 350 FS DHP, the speed was so deceptive that I thought my speedometer had an error. I was buzzing down the freeway 90-105 (traffic in N Texas routinely moves at 80-90) mph and car was like driving on glass. I downloaded GPS speedo apps and saw that the car’s speedo was just fine, LOL, so I slowed down a little.
The following 2 users liked this post by AJinDFW:
GoHorns (02-08-22), natnut (02-09-22)
Old 02-08-22 | 06:44 PM
Answer
Instructor

Question for maybe those who already have their 500s or the ones who know the V8, there was like an active damper on the air intake box on the LE I looked at tonight, is that really some sort of air intake extra air induction or something? Looked to might have been vacuum controlled.
Brandonfu (02-08-22)
Old 02-08-22 | 07:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
They did not fix it on the 350s
You wouldn't have the part number for it would you? Better yet, an even bigger challenge, do you have the part number for the front and rear orange calipers offered on the IS350 Mode Black in Japan?
@TipsyTonio

That was your challenge?

AFAIK aren’t they are running the same orange calipers found on the USA RC 350 F SPORT ?

47730-30600
47750-30600
47830-30441
47850-30441

Here on CL you will want to ask @350phi if my findings work on 2021..

Maybe you can also message this guy in Japan too..

I am not sure but these may work on the IS 500 as well…

Joe Z
TipsyTonio (02-09-22)
Old 02-08-22 | 07:18 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Answer
Question for maybe those who already have their 500s or the ones who know the V8, there was like an active damper on the air intake box on the LE I looked at tonight, is that really some sort of air intake extra air induction or something? Looked to might have been vacuum controlled.
Yes it’s the secondary air intake flap that should open at 2,800 RPM

That’s the clunk all the owners hear when the car starts and the flap closes..

Joe Z
The following 3 users liked this post by Joe Z:
Answer (02-08-22), V8ISGreat (02-08-22), wthrman2 (02-09-22)
Old 02-08-22 | 07:18 PM
undefined
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by J10Penny
This car needs some help in the tire department to come close to getting the numbers quoted by journalists. To be fair road temps being higher also impact the result.

https://youtu.be/i9jlM62Tank
wow, i hope it is just tires.
Old 02-08-22 | 08:26 PM
95bat
Racer

Gotcha. Just bench racing. Your times vs those of others illustrate the importance of ambient conditions and driver on a cars performance envelope. My point was that the IS 500 is by no means slow. In typical J-car fashion, I expect there will be decent mods for those who want to keep these cars and make them faster.

It seems clear that there’s something suboptimal about a C7 turning a 13.0 1/4 mile. There were people running sub 11 second times with stock/near stock C6 Z06.
Yeah the IS 500 is a blast and plenty fast for the street! I am loving this car so far. Sure, I have a few gripes, but none related to the motor. It's just the C7 has a 6.2L vs a 5L in the IS 500.

A C7 running 13s is definitely spinning or just poorly driven. They should run low 12s with a high teen trap speed. Some freak runs are even in the high 11s stock. The IS 500 is a high 12 with high 100s maybe low teen trap speed, more than enough to get you in trouble.

After the C7 I am really happy with the IS 500. I don't feel the need for insane horsepower in a daily anymore. Even glad I didn't order a CT5V Blackwing now. The IS 500 is excellent for a daily and for a little fun. I may, however, build a HCI C6Z one day when I'm not limited by CA smog laws anymore
The following 3 users liked this post by 95bat:
AJinDFW (02-09-22), GoHorns (02-08-22), m335 (02-09-22)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance