IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-22, 08:21 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by eZmoneyEd
Exactly! I walked on my first LE at MSRP because the dealer tried to rip me off on my trade in by like $4k. I was told MSRP over the phone and they wanted to change it when I arrived at the dealer. Then they tried to insert the ADM by lowering my trade value. I walked and drove 2.5 hrs and bought at MSRP. I also got KBB trade in value on my trade. The first dealer called me back the next day agreeing to everything I wanted the day before. You have to be willing to walk if the terms aren't favorable.
So you ended up buying from the first dealer or a dealer 2.5 hours away?
Old 02-24-22, 08:25 AM
eZmoneyEd
Rookie

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
So you ended up buying from the first dealer or a dealer 2.5 hours away?
I bought the far one since they gave me the full value for my trade in. If I was patient and would’ve just waited till the next day It would’ve been the same deal at the closer dealership. It was a really bad experience with them though so no regrets.
The following 3 users liked this post by eZmoneyEd:
Brandonfu (02-24-22), macmaster (02-24-22), wthrman2 (02-24-22)
Old 02-24-22, 08:28 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 974 Likes on 465 Posts

Hearing from both my local dealers that nothing is coming down the pipe anytime soon, one citing chip shortages, the other citing lack of priority at on the production line for IS. I don't mind waiting it out, but at this rate, just might end up punting until next model year and building up that down payment.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kanpai:
DLPTony (02-24-22), giS (02-25-22)
Old 02-24-22, 08:37 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

I bought the far one since they gave me the full value for my trade in. If I was patient and would’ve just waited till the next day It would’ve been the same deal at the closer dealership. It was a really bad experience with them though so no regrets.
You did the right thing, if a dealer is trying to be greedy and play games, they need to be prepared to face the consequences. When I negotiate with a dealer, I always say, make me the best offer you can, but once I get it, if it is not good, I'll walk away. I had a dealer (not for my Lexus) said as I was walking out the door, come back and I'll go see if my Sales Manager can revise it....My response was "I asked for the BEST you could do, so if you didn't give me the best you could, then you have lost my trust...good bye! There is no car worth being yanked around, and the same for the 500. I am not a greedy customer who will fight too and nail to get the lowest possible price ever, I don't work for free and neither do they, but respect me and I'll respect you. Make me a fair offer that I am willing to live with and that is all that matters.

Originally Posted by Kanpai
Hearing from both my local dealers that nothing is coming down the pipe anytime soon, one citing chip shortages, the other citing lack of priority at on the production line for IS. I don't mind waiting it out, but at this rate, just might end up punting until next model year and building up that down payment.
Waiting for the 2023 is not a bad strategy, I suspect the 500 will always be somewhat limited in production but there is no doubt the 2022 MY will be even further limited in production. I understand it is nice to get it out of the gate but unless you are wanting a LE, waiting a bit longer is not a big deal
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
DLPTony (02-24-22), eZmoneyEd (02-24-22)
Old 02-24-22, 08:55 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Got it thanks. I agree you made the right choice. Depending which side you're on, however, the first dealer might have also dodged a bullet. By that I mean they may have been able to sell the car with markup to someone else since you declined. There's a lot of pressure and stress as a seller. When I was selling my my old car, I had a guy back out because I asked for more $$$, and then the car wasn't getting any interest for 3 weeks. I was sooo close to begging him to come back at his price much like the dealer did to you, but out of my own stubbornness I resisted, not because of the lower price but I just didn't want to do business with him anymore. In the end I sold the car to someone else for the price I wanted.
Old 02-24-22, 09:07 AM
eZmoneyEd
Rookie

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Got it thanks. I agree you made the right choice. Depending which side you're on, however, the first dealer might have also dodged a bullet. By that I mean they may have been able to sell the car with markup to someone else since you declined. There's a lot of pressure and stress as a seller. When I was selling my my old car, I had a guy back out because I asked for more $$$, and then the car wasn't getting any interest for 3 weeks. I was sooo close to begging him to come back at his price much like the dealer did to you, but out of my own stubbornness I resisted, not because of the lower price but I just didn't want to do business with him anymore. In the end I sold the car to someone else for the price I wanted.
Very true! I worked in a sales capacity for about 6 years so I now theres two sides to it. It’s unfortunate for the sales person when their manager is flipping the script on them. In my case I was told MSRP over the phone and KBB trade value for my car. Once I got in they said the manager required to add ADM. I refused and coincidentally the value of my trade-in dropped the same amount of the ADM. The sales person argued that I was still getting the car at MSRP but I picked up on it. They did sell the car eventually, so win on both sides.
Old 02-24-22, 09:21 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 974 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Waiting for the 2023 is not a bad strategy, I suspect the 500 will always be somewhat limited in production but there is no doubt the 2022 MY will be even further limited in production. I understand it is nice to get it out of the gate but unless you are wanting a LE, waiting a bit longer is not a big deal
Definitely not waiting on an LE (USB Gang), but I am in no rush since my job has no plans anytime soon to return to the office. Plus, I am hoping they get a solid solution on the CEL issues as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kanpai:
DLPTony (02-24-22), wthrman2 (02-24-22)
Old 02-24-22, 10:31 AM
is500le
Pit Crew

Received 140 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanpai
Definitely not waiting on an LE (USB Gang), but I am in no rush since my job has no plans anytime soon to return to the office. Plus, I am hoping they get a solid solution on the CEL issues as well.

Pretty sure all the Launch Editions are sold, so waiting is not possible I know some can be found on the secondary market.
Old 02-24-22, 10:55 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is500le
Pretty sure all the Launch Editions are sold, so waiting is not possible I know some can be found on the secondary market.
Definitely not true at all. A quick search on cars.com shows at least 12.
The following users liked this post:
giS (02-26-22)
Old 02-24-22, 10:56 AM
is500le
Pit Crew

Definitely not true at all. A quick search on cars.com shows at least 12.
It is true. Try calling and you'll see they are all sold.
The following 3 users liked this post by is500le:
Brandonfu (02-24-22), GeoFSPORT (02-24-22), giS (02-26-22)
Old 02-24-22, 10:57 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is500le
It is true. Try calling and you'll see they are all sold.
Oh ok, interesting!
Old 02-24-22, 11:16 AM
is500le
Pit Crew

Here's a challenge to anyone. If you can find a Lexus dealer that has one LAUNCH EDITION New and available for purchase no matter the price, please provide the dealer, salesperson and phone #.
The following 2 users liked this post by is500le:
Brandonfu (02-24-22), giS (02-26-22)
Old 02-24-22, 11:18 AM
CanuckIs
Driver

Received 123 Likes on 42 Posts

I hope this is not an ongoing trend! Delivery day was a CEL and today is a loose/busted speaker. They ordered a new one for me. Let's see what happens.
DLPTony (02-24-22)
Old 02-24-22, 11:28 AM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 511 Likes on 182 Posts

Search CarGurus there are 10 launch listed in the US on there. 2 in Florida 2 in Illinois 1 in reno NV, 1 in Clive Iowa, 2 in so cal, one in mass, and one in Wisconsin
Old 02-24-22, 11:37 AM
is500le
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Shoeboy4
Search CarGurus there are 10 launch listed in the US on there. 2 in Florida 2 in Illinois 1 in reno NV, 1 in Clive Iowa, 2 in so cal, one in mass, and one in Wisconsin

All sold. Provide dealer/salesperson info that would confirm availability.

The one in Clive is sold to a member of this forum. He's had it in his garage for several weeks now.
giS (02-26-22)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance