IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 08:45 AM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 511 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
giS and Shoeboy - Thanks to both of you for the welcome. I know some of my close contacts have been made aware but to be transparent with all forum members, in the end, I have proceeded with signing the deal on my white on red IS 500. The deal that I was given was too good to pass up given today's context and such. I was going through a bit of a challenging period but the dealer was extremely supportive and didn't put any pressure and in the end, I didn't want to have a small and less than ideal period get in the in teh way of owning this car. I know that in a couple of months from now, I would have regretted not getting it so I went ahead and glad I did.

I am hoping to have it delivered toward the end of next week or at the start of the following one. I'll keep you guys posted when it arrives.
Happy to hear you are getting it, I cannot wait to see your pics when it gets delivered and hear your thoughts on the car as well!
The following 3 users liked this post by Shoeboy4:
giS (03-19-22), topdunn (03-19-22), wthrman2 (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 10:01 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I have to disagree with the steering being any type of value loss at all. I don't think future people will say, "No I don't want your car because it has slightly more numb steering."

I really don't get how people complain that you "can't feel the road" when I feel bumps and cracks in the steering wheel every day. Sometimes I think they're just echoing what more knowledgeable drivers say just to sound smarter. Obviously I don't agree with him. Who buys a Lexus then complains they can't feel the road? Maybe he should buy a Prius and complain that he can't beat a M5 from a dig.

Also, while PPF is expensive-ish, I did the ceramic on my car for a couple hundred bucks. Well worth the money even if I only keep the car a year. It saves me so much time when washing the vehicle which is worth the money to me.
Steering is a big part of how a car handles so I believe it will affect resale value at least a little, because people care about handling. It happened with the 2016 GS F and 2018 LC500. When I refer to heavier steering, I'm not arguing I want it to "feel the road" more. I'm talking about when you turn the steering wheel an inch, it feels like it's going the direction you turned it. I'd also describe it as when you turn the wheel there's more resistance; it takes more muscle to turn it. I could be wrong but I believe these could be mutually exclusive from "feeling the road." Surprisingly the CT turns heavier than the IS. Like the CT feels good, really good. As in, if it didn't have a weak hybrid engine, that car would be insanely fun. I'm not sure why Lexus decided to do the IS500 steering this way when we know they're capable of more.
Old 03-19-22, 10:36 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Just drove my CT200h F Sport and IS500 back to back. Wow, the CT definitely has the heavier steering that we are missing in the IS500. Very sad. If Lexus improves the steering anytime over the next 4 years that'll be a major value loss for us 2022 owners.

I have to agree with David here in his latest video. But I also have to laugh at the fact that he got ceramic coating for his car and is already thinking of selling it. Same goes for any of you that got PPF and/or ceramic and are planning to "upgrade" in a few years. To play it safe I think I'm holding off on any upgrades for my car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6aWpydp9Y
Yeah for sure no issue with resale values at all..

From 2008 to 2014 the Lexus IS F received 3 different steering ECU updates / control modules..
With the latter one being the best iteration..!!

I’m sure Lexus is already aware on preliminary feedbacks and we “may” see changes in the MY23 or by MY24

Also this is the second time the famed engineer David of “Automotive Press” commented on the steering feedback..

Here is another short from last week..

Joe Z
Old 03-19-22, 10:49 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

giS and Shoeboy - Thanks to both of you for the welcome. I know some of my close contacts have been made aware but to be transparent with all forum members, in the end, I have proceeded with signing the deal on my white on red IS 500. The deal that I was given was too good to pass up given today's context and such. I was going through a bit of a challenging period but the dealer was extremely supportive and didn't put any pressure and in the end, I didn't want to have a small and less than ideal period get in the in teh way of owning this car. I know that in a couple of months from now, I would have regretted not getting it so I went ahead and glad I did.

I am hoping to have it delivered toward the end of next week or at the start of the following one. I'll keep you guys posted when it arrives.
YYYAAAAAYYYY!!! See…I was right. Just let the man work it out on his own, he’ll make the right choice.

Right choice = getting that gotdern car! 😅

Congrats man!

Last edited by DLPTony; 03-19-22 at 02:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
giS (03-19-22), wthrman2 (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 10:54 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Obviously I don't agree with him. Who buys a Lexus then complains they can't feel the road? Maybe he should buy a Prius and complain that he can't beat a M5 from a dig.
LOL!! This comment was GOLD!

Personally, in Sport or Sport+ mode, I think the IS 500 is damn near ANALOG compared to my 2016!

I feel more than enough road thank you very much. 😎

Last edited by DLPTony; 03-19-22 at 11:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
giS (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 10:55 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

I have to disagree with the steering being any type of value loss at all. I don't think future people will say, "No I don't want your car because it has slightly more numb steering."

I really don't get how people complain that you "can't feel the road" when I feel bumps and cracks in the steering wheel every day. Sometimes I think they're just echoing what more knowledgeable drivers say just to sound smarter. Obviously I don't agree with him. Who buys a Lexus then complains they can't feel the road? Maybe he should buy a Prius and complain that he can't beat a M5 from a dig.

Also, while PPF is expensive-ish, I did the ceramic on my car for a couple hundred bucks. Well worth the money even if I only keep the car a year. It saves me so much time when washing the vehicle which is worth the money to me.
Agreed, the fact that steering systems have gone the way they have is a testament to how little most people car about steering feel. I'm glad my IS500 isn't like my 1990 Miata where you feel everything.
The following 2 users liked this post by AmbyBomb:
Carolina50 (03-19-22), wthrman2 (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 11:26 AM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

Received 206 Likes on 80 Posts

Heavier steering and road feel aren’t the same thing. I drove a C6 Z06 recently. The car was awesome fast, steering was heavy, and suspension was firm. I had no sensation whatsoever of where I was with regard to the car’s limits and the feeling of the road through the steering wheel was generically rough. I’m certain, however, that several hours with the car would familiarize me with its unique nuances, because the car’s capabilities have been proven to be outstanding.

On a similar note, I don’t care how knowledgeable someone may be. Initial impressions are just that and do not reflect a car’s capabilities nor the impressions one will have after a few thousand miles in the driver’s seat.

What I find most ridiculous and humorous is that the same people who ***** about the non-analog steering, in the next breath complain about the analog buttons and shift lever.

Acting fussy doesn’t make one look smart. It makes them look silly.
The following 3 users liked this post by AJinDFW:
Carolina50 (03-19-22), DLPTony (03-19-22), macmaster (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 11:34 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

If people really want to change the steering feel, they can always replace the LCA bushings. Those supposedly make the steering a bit better, as well as help with alignment.
The following 2 users liked this post by AmbyBomb:
macmaster (03-19-22), wthrman2 (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 11:44 AM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 278 Likes on 140 Posts

Nice, glad you were able to come to a decision. The car is a joy to drive.
The following 3 users liked this post by Renault:
DLPTony (03-19-22), giS (03-19-22), wthrman2 (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 12:59 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by AJinDFW
Heavier steering and road feel aren’t the same thing. I drove a C6 Z06 recently. The car was awesome fast, steering was heavy, and suspension was firm. I had no sensation whatsoever of where I was with regard to the car’s limits and the feeling of the road through the steering wheel was generically rough. I’m certain, however, that several hours with the car would familiarize me with its unique nuances, because the car’s capabilities have been proven to be outstanding.

On a similar note, I don’t care how knowledgeable someone may be. Initial impressions are just that and do not reflect a car’s capabilities nor the impressions one will have after a few thousand miles in the driver’s seat.

What I find most ridiculous and humorous is that the same people who ***** about the non-analog steering, in the next breath complain about the analog buttons and shift lever.

Acting fussy doesn’t make one look smart. It makes them look silly.
Well the C6 is famous for snap over-steer because it doesn't advertise how close to the limit it really is. So drive carefully :P (I want one so bad! HCI C6Z is my bucket list car)
Old 03-19-22, 01:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
If people really want to change the steering feel, they can always replace the LCA bushings. Those supposedly make the steering a bit better, as well as help with alignment.
Yes after 12 or soo years my OEM LCA bushings on the IS F we’re tired and leaking.. 179K miles

Back in 2020 I got a set of the FIGS rear LCA bushings installed and was super excited.. Then Covid hit and it became a garage queen..

Recently I was able to get new tires as well as dialed in wheel alignment and can finally feel the improvements and looking forward to even front tire wear..

Now only at 180K miles..

Joe Z

The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Z:
DLPTony (03-19-22), wthrman2 (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 02:38 PM
topdunn
Rookie

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad for you and hope the tempest calms for you soon. God bless.
The following 2 users liked this post by topdunn:
giS (03-19-22), wthrman2 (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 02:43 PM
is500le
Pit Crew

Received 140 Likes on 77 Posts

anyone know a dealer with an Infrared wt//blk, or USB/red?
Old 03-19-22, 03:09 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by is500le
anyone know a dealer with an Infrared wt//blk, or USB/red?
Infrared/Black in transit to Bobby Rahal Lexus. I haven't called them yet so it could be sold or have a stupid markup.

The following users liked this post:
is500le (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 03:28 PM
is500le
Pit Crew

Received 140 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Infrared/Black in transit to Bobby Rahal Lexus. I haven't called them yet so it could be sold or have a stupid markup.

already Sold!
thanks

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance