IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 06:13 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
This article sums up the difference in driving experience between the two. Note that the TVD does include a 67 pound weight penalty for the added tech.
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-test-feature/
Thanks for the info!

Not a huge difference as far as daily applications go. Since I am not planning to track it.

TVD seems to offer some benefits over Torsen. However, the flip side of the coin is that its enormously expensive and complicated. Hence, if it ever goes out of warranty, it may mechanically total the car.
The following users liked this post:
SickAF (03-22-21)
Old 02-23-21, 06:29 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by robert2423
The GS-F is still the better car... I won't be trading mine in for one, and pretty sure you can get a better deal than this new car.....
Not worried about the GSF losing more value cause this isn't an F. Interior for this car is another major let down why would I want the same thing from 8 years ago, when the GSF has a bigger and better interior.
In my opinion, the car is late to the show, but it will be a good option for people that want a NA v8. Compared to other brands V6 TT. Now if the F model has a v8 TT we can talk. Was honestly hoping we saw some kind of performance hybrid for the IS.
GSF is a legend that won't come back in the foreseeable future.
I would tend to agree. However, even though the IS500 is no IS-F, it still checks enough checkboxes to IMO chip away a % of potential buyers from the GS-F. Fact that it will be competing with used GS-F's price wise won't help it much at least during the first couple of years of its run before the prices even out a bit though. I must admit, I do like the updated infotainment setup of the IS500 along with the carplay availability, especially given that GS-F is severely lacking in that department.

I would still most likely go with a CPO GS-F. Though, it is tempting to walk into a dealership and come out with a new car and avoid all the hassles associated with buying used.
Old 02-23-21, 07:24 AM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by robert2423
Your still in an F sport lol....
even though its an IS 500 F Sport it will probably out perform the 2nd generation IS F's. I wonder why they show body colored mirrors on the IS 500 instesd of the all black mirrors that they use on the 350's DHP package.
Old 02-23-21, 08:23 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
even though its an IS 500 F Sport it will probably out perform the 2nd generation IS F's. I wonder why they show body colored mirrors on the IS 500 instesd of the all black mirrors that they use on the 350's DHP package.
It will out-perform the original ISF but the competition has gotten much faster. If they keep the price in the $60k range, this is going to be a great choice in the segment. Its nowhere near the fastest in the class but the visceral additions like the V8 growl will make it a compelling choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by EZZ:
E46CT (02-23-21), m0chafrap (02-24-21)
Old 02-23-21, 08:46 AM
evident
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Finally!!!!!! Although now I'm in the market for a used gsf
Old 02-23-21, 09:32 AM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It will out-perform the original ISF but the competition has gotten much faster. If they keep the price in the $60k range, this is going to be a great choice in the segment. Its nowhere near the fastest in the class but the visceral additions like the V8 growl will make it a compelling choice.
Exactly. I think it's an excellent option for those who might've wanted the IS350 to be something more [stock], but probably have little to no interest in actually going to a track. It's great for those who love the growl of a V8 but don't need this car to be a full blown F car.

Price is going to make or break it though. Still, I hope this car does well. Who knows... Maybe the IS500's success will pave the way for an actual ISF.
Old 02-23-21, 09:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I didn't even think we were arguing, and I think we both agree that it should be consistently used. You'll get no argument from me on that. Lexus has been much better about F SPORT recently, but as of today they're still all over the place when it comes to whether there is a space between the model and designation (i.e., IS350 vs. IS 350). If Lexus does care about it, they need to be better about showing it.

We do agree that it's great the 2UR is back in the IS, many people have been waiting for it.

No manual transmission though. (Not that there ever will be).

Jeff
We are on the same page and I agree there needs to be consistency. Even saying 2IS and 3IS has been a long time pet peeve of mine. It's 2nd Generation IS, 3rd Generation IS. I still give @1SICKLEX a hard time every time we talk about it. LOL

I think it would be a knock out with a manual, then we would see markups.
Old 02-23-21, 11:03 AM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice return of the IS V8!! But I wish it looked more different than the regular IS and 3900 lbs wow thats heavy for a sport compact!!
Old 02-23-21, 11:08 AM
IS350mumba
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Old ISF prizes are about to drop heavy after this car hits the roads
Old 02-23-21, 11:38 AM
SSackey
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the ultimate test of this car will be in the fine tuning. It can go two ways:

1. If it's really just a de-contented and cheaper F car, but still drives just as "sharp," it will be a pretty awesome option that allows more people to get into this iconic V8 powertrain.

2. If it not being a full F means they have softened things like suspension / bushing responsiveness, softened brake feel, softened transmission behavior, softened sound from the exhaust, etc. to tame it down, then it will be seen as a strange middle ground that nobody really asked for.

Only time will tell when journalists and initial owners start reviewing the car. I am hopeful because Akio Toyoda has been on a major performance car push lately and seems to be personally signing off the performance cars in terms of final tuning now, which is resulting in hits like the GR Yaris (Supra less so but that's more of a BMW than a Toyota).

On another note, if they've gone through the trouble to make this car, it's surprising that they couldn't fairly cheaply add the things needed to also make an IS F, so maybe that will still happen.
Old 02-23-21, 11:42 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken167
Nice return of the IS V8!! But I wish it looked more different than the regular IS and 3900 lbs wow thats heavy for a sport compact!!
All in the name of safety. All the extra weight for the safety systems and the structrual reinforcements to the chassis itself.

It's funny, of all the years of being around IS F from the beginning, everyone complained about the weight of the car. In all honesty, most people don't push their cars to the limits or compete for lap times to qualify it. It's even more laughable when people bag it and put heavier wheels and body kits on it.
Old 02-23-21, 01:27 PM
sdot415
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is as good as it will get for the current gen IS. There will be no ISF -- the TTV6 and future TTV8 were developed for the TNGA platform, so there is pretty much no chance we see it on the N platform that the current IS sits on. There are also rumors that the next gen IS will be a collab with Mazda, so I don't think we will see a 100% Lexus IS after this IS500.
Old 02-23-21, 03:08 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

So, the RCF has rear wheel steering, it seems the IS500 does not get it, yeah?
Old 02-23-21, 03:11 PM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sdot415
I think this is as good as it will get for the current gen IS. There will be no ISF -- the TTV6 and future TTV8 were developed for the TNGA platform, so there is pretty much no chance we see it on the N platform that the current IS sits on. There are also rumors that the next gen IS will be a collab with Mazda, so I don't think we will see a 100% Lexus IS after this IS500.
Are there rumors that they're releasing TTV6 and V8 models? I feel like Lexus is stuck on NA V6/V8's.
Old 02-23-21, 03:21 PM
teamlexus1
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

This is simply the perfect car. The current Lexus IS model is the best looking sedan in its class, but was lacking in power. For a car of this caliber, 472 hp is NO JOKE combined with that V8 engine which virtually no car in that segment offers. This car will not be competing against the top performance cars which are widely 1 second faster 0-60 than the oncoming IS500 and cost a kidney. If Lexus wanted to push this car to its max, it could have easily reach 0-60 in under 4 seconds. It makes sense to have the F Sport Performance line and THEN a full blown ISF if the IS500 sells like hot cakes. Now, if Lexus can keep a fully loaded IS500 in the mid 60k, the least we can do is to BUY not LEASE this car even if we have to deliver pizza as a second job. Sign me up for one straight from Lexus.
The following 3 users liked this post by teamlexus1:
AtomicAWD (02-26-21), GreyHound (02-24-21), natnut (02-23-21)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance