IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 05:05 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
So, the RCF has rear wheel steering, it seems the IS500 does not get it, yeah?
RCF does not have rear wheel steering. Rc 350 f sport does
(it's a part of some option package).

Last edited by Ab175; 02-23-21 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-23-21, 05:37 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlitoIS
Are there rumors that they're releasing TTV6 and V8 models? I feel like Lexus is stuck on NA V6/V8's.
Have you not seen all the issues the IS200T issues on the forum? It blows my mind people want Lexus to go down this route, you might as well go buy a BMW / Audi / Benz -- don't get me wrong, they will have to as emission laws are getting stricter and we move towards electric but I will never be caught dead driving a turbo / supercharged vehicle.
Old 02-23-21, 05:53 PM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
Have you not seen all the issues the IS200T issues on the forum? It blows my mind people want Lexus to go down this route, you might as well go buy a BMW / Audi / Benz -- don't get me wrong, they will have to as emission laws are getting stricter and we move towards electric but I will never be caught dead driving a turbo / supercharged vehicle.
I haven't noticed. I had the IS 200t, 300 RWD, which is the same engine. I never had any issues. Then again, I didn't have them for more than 2 years. I do love the sound of those V6/V8 NA engines though. That's a plus.
Old 02-23-21, 06:20 PM
MCR
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
Wouldnt be caught dead driving a turbo car but has a 250. Ok then.
Old 02-23-21, 06:23 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

US only.

V8? Memory seats/easy exit? This just made 1 half of my forever garage.
The following users liked this post:
GreyHound (02-24-21)
Old 02-23-21, 07:15 PM
NewbLexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Price

I think this would be the perfect car depending on price they put on it. I’m one of those people that is waiting to see the price because I’m on the edge of how much I’m willing to spend for this. Like many other folks have said, it’s not an ISF with fancy brakes, etc. I think that should keep cost down. I know car enthusiasts are not totally thrilled with that but for someone like me who isn’t really a car enthusiast but loves the growl and always wanted a v8, this could be my chance. Sure I could go for the Ford Mustang GT or one of the American muscle car but I’m done with the coupes and would like a reliable sedan like this. I would also make this my daily driver.

I am also concerned about the timing of release due to society and the current administration pushing climate initiatives and toward EVs. Price of gas could be going places we haven’t seen, at least in my lifetime.

Keeping my fingers crossed. If it’s too expensive, oh well, I’ll go with the IS 350 F sport. That one looks great too.
Old 02-23-21, 07:42 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2021/02/...0-called-is-f/

Why isn’t the IS 500 instead called “IS F”?

You want to know, and we did too, so we asked Lexus directly. The answer opens an entirely new chapter of Lexus performance while giving enthusiasts even more options within the lineup.

So there we have it. The IS 500 F SPORT Performance ushers in a new, third dimension for Lexus performance vehicles above “F SPORT” and below “F.”
  • F SPORT: An option package on Lexus models with upgraded performance components such as sport tuned suspensions, limited-slip differentials and race inspired styling.
  • F SPORT Performance: Includes F SPORT upgraded performance components paired with a high output powertrain.
  • F: The highest expression of Lexus performance with the most innovative engineering and driver-inspired technology.

Lexus Enthusiast’s Take

Having this information makes it easier to understand what ingredients are missing to create an IS F: Exclusive F front and rear bumpers with side fender vents, Brembo brakes, driver-focused suspension enhancements, active weight reduction, unique interior trim, launch control and more.

The IS 500 F SPORT Performance delivers where it matters most: 161 more horsepower, 115 more lb-ft of torque, two more cylinders, and a curb weight under 3,900 pounds.

Looking at the numbers, it’s clear that Lexus has delivered a perfect blueprint for performance-oriented buyers to enjoy and enthusiasts to modify as they see fit — without the added cost of full F gear.

More Lexus performance vehicles is better, and a naturally aspirated, rear-wheel-drive, V8 IS is the vehicle that started it all 13 years ago. Is it possible that the IS 500 F SPORT Performance is set to do the same for future Lexus generations? We hope so
I'm surprised many in here take seriously the alleged insignificant performance differences between the IS 350 F Sport and the IS 500 F Sport Performance Line. I have a 2010 IS F. Wifey has a 2016 IS 350 F Sport and I can tell you there is no performance comparison between the two cars, and this is with an IS F with 56 less hp and 24 less lb-ft than the IS 500, a car that weighs only approximately 131 pounds more than my IS F. Mainstream automotive publications tested E-diff IS Fs as quick as 4.2 seconds from 0-60 mph, although 4.3 and 4.4 second elapsed times were more common, so Lexus has clearly underrated the car's performance in calling out a 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. Porsche does this all the time and Lexus has followed suit over the years in its F cars when performance and curb weight were taken into account.

From what I have read, Lexus will be releasing two new genuine F cars, the LS F and the LC F, both with the 4L twin turbo V8 makng 660 hp. That motor and these cars were all thought to be in the Lexus development grave yard but, glory be, it certainly seems like Lexus has zigged when everyone else has zagged. Only this time, the zig has been toward performance cars, something I had, truthfully, given up on. If there is to be a true IS F, to me, it seems logicial the car will have a de-tuned 4L twin turbo V8 at, say, about 575 hp or a version of the LS 500 twin-turbo V6 making a similar amount of power. Lexus has spent a lot of money developing and racing that 4L motor, so the more cars it can install it in, the quicker it can recover R & D costs (AMG style), although, admittedly, this is some wishful thinking on my part.

To finish where I started. There is NO comparison in acceleration and outright performance between the IS 350's 3.5L V6 and the IS 500's 5L V8, or the 5L V8 from the IS F for that matter. The LC 500 is significantly heavier than the IS 500 and look how well the 2UR-GSE lugs that thing around.
The following 9 users liked this post by KJH:
AtomicAWD (02-26-21), Jeff Lange (02-23-21), m0chafrap (02-24-21), m1919 (02-23-21), matmanx1 (02-26-21), natnut (02-23-21), Racer00J (02-23-21), specONE (02-24-21), waleedj3is (02-26-21) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-23-21, 08:19 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Anyone know when the price will be released?
Old 02-23-21, 10:19 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was disappointed when the RC-F used a tuned version of the IS-F motor in 2014. and im even MORE disappointed that this car uses a tuned version of that motor in 2021. lexus has always been ambiguous as to whether they wanted to compete with the Germans wrt to performance. they were all in in 1998 with the GS400/430 and 10 years later with the IS-F. but in between and after...they have been incessantly tepid. this just seems to be more of the same. and it saddens me as i've had 2 GS 4's and an IS-F. this car just doesnt move the needle for me...
Old 02-24-21, 03:23 AM
dingyibvs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 93MSB
the AA81E is not as fast or robust of a transmission (AA80E vs AA81E - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion)
no Brembo 6 piston brakes
no BBS wheels
no option for toque vectoring diff
no side vent ducts
All true, but let's be real here, people buy the F cars for the V8. If it's indeed significantly cheaper with usable back seats, it'll eat into RC F sales big time.
natnut (02-24-21)
Old 02-24-21, 07:28 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dingyibvs
All true, but let's be real here, people buy the F cars for the V8. If it's indeed significantly cheaper with usable back seats, it'll eat into RC F sales big time.
RC-F might be next on the chopping block.
Old 02-24-21, 07:31 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
RC-F might be next on the chopping block.
You may be right - RC500 F-sport

Old 02-24-21, 08:42 AM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
I'm surprised many in here take seriously the alleged insignificant performance differences between the IS 350 F Sport and the IS 500 F Sport Performance Line. I have a 2010 IS F. Wifey has a 2016 IS 350 F Sport and I can tell you there is no performance comparison between the two cars, and this is with an IS F with 56 less hp and 24 less lb-ft than the IS 500, a car that weighs only approximately 131 pounds more than my IS F. Mainstream automotive publications tested E-diff IS Fs as quick as 4.2 seconds from 0-60 mph, although 4.3 and 4.4 second elapsed times were more common, so Lexus has clearly underrated the car's performance in calling out a 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. Porsche does this all the time and Lexus has followed suit over the years in its F cars when performance and curb weight were taken into account.

From what I have read, Lexus will be releasing two new genuine F cars, the LS F and the LC F, both with the 4L twin turbo V8 makng 660 hp. That motor and these cars were all thought to be in the Lexus development grave yard but, glory be, it certainly seems like Lexus has zigged when everyone else has zagged. Only this time, the zig has been toward performance cars, something I had, truthfully, given up on. If there is to be a true IS F, to me, it seems logicial the car will have a de-tuned 4L twin turbo V8 at, say, about 575 hp or a version of the LS 500 twin-turbo V6 making a similar amount of power. Lexus has spent a lot of money developing and racing that 4L motor, so the more cars it can install it in, the quicker it can recover R & D costs (AMG style), although, admittedly, this is some wishful thinking on my part.

To finish where I started. There is NO comparison in acceleration and outright performance between the IS 350's 3.5L V6 and the IS 500's 5L V8, or the 5L V8 from the IS F for that matter. The LC 500 is significantly heavier than the IS 500 and look how well the 2UR-GSE lugs that thing around.
Interesting. So what you're saying is that the performance between the IS F and IS 500 will basically not come close to the IS 350? That I figured.
Old 02-24-21, 10:07 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up options ?

Sounds good, I missed the original V8 2008-2014, so I don't want to miss this one.
I do suggest a couple improvements, I hope the rear brake calipers are better, I usually swap those out every 5 years, pads still good, LOL

oh, and I want to skip on the 'melting dash' option, if someone from Lexus is reading these posts. That was not funny Lexus.
I don't mind the 'squeaky rear windshield. I just roll down the window and can't hear it any more.
But yeah sign me up
Thanks !
SickAF (03-22-21)
Old 02-24-21, 10:34 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Lexus just leaked the all new NX. I guess this is a big year for Lexus. I like what I saw of the NX.

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance