IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21 | 11:03 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JBison73
Lexus just leaked the all new NX. I guess this is a big year for Lexus. I like what I saw of the NX.
New NX has completely different infotainment system no more trackpad.
Old 02-24-21 | 11:06 AM
nigel821
Racer

Speaking of RCF's, their sales aren't great anyways. I bought a 2020 rcf back in november. It was pretty much a whim purchase. I had no intention of buying a car but at the same time I wanted something that had a n/a 8 cylinder.. I like the car a lot. Haven't drive it much but it's quick. Much quicker and refined than my STi, and the STi isn't a slouch.

I've never driven a lexus other than my wife's NX, so I have NOTHING to compare it to in terms of how it rides/handles/power from a non F branded lexus that's in the same lineup..ie. What would a rc350 be like in comparison..etc.

I can say though that MB has been doing this for years (IE: AMG e63, e550, e350). You have the AMG (when only the 63 was available), then you could get the same model car with the 8 cylinder and though it didn't make AS much as a full blown AMG it was still very very respectable in terms of power and torque, then you had the 6 cylinder...etc. If Lexus was following that model with what they did now to the IS500 that makes sense. But, if the thing costs almost as much as a true F car then it makes me wonder? I know RCF's start at what around $65k, I know with options and what not mine was over $80k msrp. Mine has every option minus the TVD or carbon package, so that would have brought it up almost to $92k...etc.

But back to my original point above, someone on FB posted the numbers about RCF sales and they aren't high, at least not after the first couple years. In 2020 I believe they sold 292 RCF's in the USA, and it was around 300 in 2019... Those are really tiny numbers. So in all reality they aren't really "poaching" from the RCF sales.

I only wish that Lexus had a different engine that they could have used. I felt like this engine has been in the F's is a staple.. it's one of the reasons why I got it personally. Now it's in something else that's not a F. Which is fine, I could care less but I think some people are really butt hurt over it and bitter.

Some folks don't want a full blown stiffer car, that has a bigger engine. Some want a larger engine but the comforts of a normal daily car...ec. I totally get that and it's a smart move from Lexus. I wonder what price points are going to be in the LCF? That's what I am more excited for.

But WHY has Lexus not come out with performance version of the NX/RX... I can't imagine that's not a huge market since EVERY other manufacture has a sport SUV. MB probably being the most with all their lineup of SUVS that you can get pretty much in AMG flavors. I would LOVE for my wife's NX to have more power. We love everything about it besides the lack of power. If there was an option to get an 8 cylinder in that thing we would trade instantly.

I like where Lexus is going but I feel like they are moving slowly compared to everyone else. But I guess the up side to that is most people that have a Lexus keep it and will enjoy it where as the German rivals tend to be "lease" vehicles then hope to god you don't have issues after a warranty is done.

-Nigel

The following users liked this post:
SickAF (03-22-21)
Old 02-24-21 | 11:20 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dojoman
New NX has completely different infotainment system no more trackpad.
14" screen and two track pads on the steering wheel. They're starting to get with the times. Lol
Old 02-24-21 | 11:29 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nigel821
Speaking of RCF's, their sales aren't great anyways. I bought a 2020 rcf back in november. It was pretty much a whim purchase. I had no intention of buying a car but at the same time I wanted something that had a n/a 8 cylinder.. I like the car a lot. Haven't drive it much but it's quick. Much quicker and refined than my STi, and the STi isn't a slouch.

I've never driven a lexus other than my wife's NX, so I have NOTHING to compare it to in terms of how it rides/handles/power from a non F branded lexus that's in the same lineup..ie. What would a rc350 be like in comparison..etc.

I can say though that MB has been doing this for years (IE: AMG e63, e550, e350). You have the AMG (when only the 63 was available), then you could get the same model car with the 8 cylinder and though it didn't make AS much as a full blown AMG it was still very very respectable in terms of power and torque, then you had the 6 cylinder...etc. If Lexus was following that model with what they did now to the IS500 that makes sense. But, if the thing costs almost as much as a true F car then it makes me wonder? I know RCF's start at what around $65k, I know with options and what not mine was over $80k msrp. Mine has every option minus the TVD or carbon package, so that would have brought it up almost to $92k...etc.

But back to my original point above, someone on FB posted the numbers about RCF sales and they aren't high, at least not after the first couple years. In 2020 I believe they sold 292 RCF's in the USA, and it was around 300 in 2019... Those are really tiny numbers. So in all reality they aren't really "poaching" from the RCF sales.

I only wish that Lexus had a different engine that they could have used. I felt like this engine has been in the F's is a staple.. it's one of the reasons why I got it personally. Now it's in something else that's not a F. Which is fine, I could care less but I think some people are really butt hurt over it and bitter.

Some folks don't want a full blown stiffer car, that has a bigger engine. Some want a larger engine but the comforts of a normal daily car...ec. I totally get that and it's a smart move from Lexus. I wonder what price points are going to be in the LCF? That's what I am more excited for.

But WHY has Lexus not come out with performance version of the NX/RX... I can't imagine that's not a huge market since EVERY other manufacture has a sport SUV. MB probably being the most with all their lineup of SUVS that you can get pretty much in AMG flavors. I would LOVE for my wife's NX to have more power. We love everything about it besides the lack of power. If there was an option to get an 8 cylinder in that thing we would trade instantly.

I like where Lexus is going but I feel like they are moving slowly compared to everyone else. But I guess the up side to that is most people that have a Lexus keep it and will enjoy it where as the German rivals tend to be "lease" vehicles then hope to god you don't have issues after a warranty is done.

-Nigel
The RX/NX are wrong wheel drive. Their AWD is lifted from their midsize SUV line so not really performance oriented. Also, none of their engines are worth much in the FWD lineup.
Old 02-24-21 | 11:37 AM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 93MSB
the AA81E is not as fast or robust of a transmission (AA80E vs AA81E - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion)
no Brembo 6 piston brakes
no BBS wheels
no option for toque vectoring diff
no side vent ducts
No one going to talk about weight? I’ve read reports the IS500 is just shy of 4,000 pounds (like 3,980). So it weighs about what the GSF weighs and gets GSF mpg...in an IS chassis? Same 4.5 0-60mph too?

No way this thing is $50k at dealerships.

No thanks
Old 02-24-21 | 11:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NinjaNap
No one going to talk about weight? I’ve read reports the IS500 is just shy of 4,000 pounds (like 3,980). So it weighs about what the GSF weighs and gets GSF mpg...in an IS chassis? Same 4.5 0-60mph too?

No thanks
Its not going to get traction if its more than $65k loaded. Overall 4.5s is competitive with the mid-tier offerings from the Germans so it has to be priced in that range. Lexus has always been a bit cheaper but given it has a fantastic V8, a comparably priced car with an M340 would probably do well in terms of sales. It only weighs 150lbs more than a 3.5L IS350 so its impressive they kept the weight down. The Lexus IS is relatively heavy though for such a small car.
SickAF (03-22-21)
Old 02-24-21 | 12:17 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

No thanks
I can see regional dealers only selling full loaded model for $65k. If you want base model probably just special order but I'm still predicting it will start at around $56-$57k.
Old 02-24-21 | 12:44 PM
Jaikool01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Hoping there is no AWD version.... please don't release one... please.
Why area you hoping that? I am new to the Lexus family and I own an AWD (2019 - IS 350 F-Sport). Also, I live in the northeast where we get lots of snow and the AWD has been nice.
Old 02-24-21 | 12:51 PM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Jaikool01
Why area you hoping that? I am new to the Lexus family and I own an AWD (2019 - IS 350 F-Sport). Also, I live in the northeast where we get lots of snow and the AWD has been nice.
Because if the RWD version is close to 4,000 pounds then an AWD version will be even heavier. Probably heavier than a GSF.
Old 02-24-21 | 01:26 PM
Racer00J
Intermediate

No thanks
It's said to be only 143lbs heavier than the rwd IS350 F Sport. All things considered, I don't think 3,900lbs is terrible. It's not lightweight, no... but the RC F is roughly the same weight, and has 2 less doors. Hell, the LC500 is about 4,400lbs.

Still not sure about pricing. I'm thinking it'll base around US$55k but, as others are pointing out, most dealers will probably order them loaded up.
Old 02-24-21 | 11:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Because if the RWD version is close to 4,000 pounds then an AWD version will be even heavier. Probably heavier than a GSF.
There won’t be an AWD version. M3 curb weight is 3890, AMG C63 is 3874. Conveniently, people don’t complain about the weight of those cars.
Old 02-25-21 | 04:42 AM
wtwo3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
There won’t be an AWD version. M3 curb weight is 3890, AMG C63 is 3874. Conveniently, people don’t complain about the weight of those cars.
I'm pretty active over on bimmerpost forums and trust me.... EVERYONE is complaining about the weight of the new M3.
E46CT (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21 | 07:29 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by wtwo3
I'm pretty active over on bimmerpost forums and trust me.... EVERYONE is complaining about the weight of the new M3.
Well here’s the real deal. The newer the car, the more safety and tech. Stronger metals, more driver safety equipment, more creature comforts equals more weight.

I jump in my 18 year old IS 300 (3255 lbs) and switch off to my 2020 RC F (3902 lbs). You can definitely tell the difference between the two but both have their compromises. It’s amazing how much has changed in terms of technology and safety in these cars. People complaining about the weight of these cars baffle me. Most of these people only drive their car on the streets, lawfully in most cases.
Old 02-25-21 | 07:39 AM
wtwo3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
Well here’s the real deal. The newer the car, the more safety and tech. Stronger metals, more driver safety equipment, more creature comforts equals more weight.

I jump in my 18 year old IS 300 (3255 lbs) and switch off to my 2020 RC F (3902 lbs). You can definitely tell the difference between the two but both have their compromises. It’s amazing how much has changed in terms of technology and safety in these cars. People complaining about the weight of these cars baffle me. Most of these people only drive their car on the streets, lawfully in most cases.
100% Agree. I think people just look for things to complain about. A good example is the dichotomy between this IS500 and the new C class. People are up in arms over Mercedes going all 4 bangers across their C class lineup (even the C63), but now Lexus comes out with a NA 5 L V8 in the latest IS and people are up in arms about it being too old school and big.

Same goes for weight. People complain about weight of each individual car as if the entire industry hasn't increased in weight. While I get the appeal of an extremely lightweight car - these are daily drivers. They're not track dedicated cars.
flipside909 (03-02-21)
Old 02-25-21 | 07:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Although the 3IS IS500 is a 3,800 lb beast, those 3,800 lbs are not as efficient as a current M3 3,800 lbs. They're not optimized simply due to how old the 3IS design is. So basically you get more car for your weight such as with a new M3 for example. So it's not really apples to apples to say both car weigh the same, so therefore equal criticism for weight should be placed on both cars. The M3 is a smart 3,800 lbs while the 3IS is not, mostly due to the generation gap design-wise of both bodies-in-white as well as the cars in general. Of course the 4IS should and will likely be a smart 3,800 lbs.

But generally the weight and size of this class of car has crept up and would be nice to see it trend downwards overall in the industry.

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance