IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 07:01 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
1. it’ll be a 10 speaker pioneer system
2. haven’t seen the 500 in USB yet either in any videos but it is in the pre launch brochure at the Lexus website
3. pretty sure tuners will figure out a way to tune this thing

Thank you. I did some digging and yes I see it's a 10 speaker Pioneer. No specs on wattage and what it consists of however. Wasn't exactly floored by the previous ML systems I've experienced and I don't exactly feel the need for 18 speakers, want LED lights or navigation if the base setup has android Auto. I'll probably just option the car the way I want it.

I don't think the blue cars I've seen were USB, I was a bit worried, I found a USB 2021 IS350, so once again it'll be the color for me like my old IS-F.

I hope tuners can figure something out. At least the Toyota ecu's aren't 2048 bit encrypted like the newest BMW'S, C8 etc. That has a lot to do with over the air updating and autonomous driving, neither of which I see Toyota doing much with.

Fingers crossed for certain.

Thank you
Old 09-15-21, 09:14 AM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

That's Doug DeMuro and yes he's as annoying as Joe Raiti.
Admittedly, I find Doug entertaining most of the time. There are certain makes and models where his bias can't help but shine through, and in those cases I tend to take his opinions with a grain of salt.

Joe never seem to know what to say about any car, so he pretty much says the same thing for every single car he "reviews". Still, his videos get decent views. More power to him. Lol
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (09-16-21)
Old 09-15-21, 09:24 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Being completely unbiased is impossible - Any of you watching media and covering political parties makes that obvious. That is why I always take car reviews (and the news) with a grain of salt and more for entertainment factor only - I will often pay attention to their critiques and take notes so that when I go for a test drive myself, I watch for those thing or see if they truly bother me as it does them. Like I seriously don't get the issue with the infotainment, it has a touch screen now what is the big fuss?!? Some complain about the dated interior, and I am like WTF, that is what I love the most. The friend who is taking over my IS wanted to make sure I had a CD player in it because he has a lot of music on disc and was hoping it had it, so see, everyone is different
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
DLPTony (09-15-21), FH212 (09-15-21), natnut (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 10:36 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Being completely unbiased is impossible - Any of you watching media and covering political parties makes that obvious. That is why I always take car reviews (and the news) with a grain of salt and more for entertainment factor only - I will often pay attention to their critiques and take notes so that when I go for a test drive myself, I watch for those thing or see if they truly bother me as it does them. Like I seriously don't get the issue with the infotainment, it has a touch screen now what is the big fuss?!? Some complain about the dated interior, and I am like WTF, that is what I love the most. The friend who is taking over my IS wanted to make sure I had a CD player in it because he has a lot of music on disc and was hoping it had it, so see, everyone is different
Japanese luxury interiors tend to age well. My dad had an old Acura Legend coupe he bought new at the time, black leather interior, black soft touch plastic, with the car phone and all. Over a dozen years later when I drove it in high school the interior was still a serene experience, and still much nicer than many newer cars I'd been in. IMO the IS shares a similar interior as the Legend - very monochrome, but sleek with quality materials, buttons, and touchpoints that make sense. Even if the IS interior feels aged already, I think it will still be a cabin everyone enjoys climbing into for a long long time.
Old 09-15-21, 10:36 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

These guys like it.

Old 09-15-21, 11:15 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

I'm with you, I don't have any problem with the infotainment. I know how to operate it and it works... I don't see the big deal. I leave it on full screen map like 98% of the time unless I make a call or need to switch album folders on my flash drive. Even then it's 1 button to make a call and 2 buttons to change folders, super simple.

The only thing that makes me disappointed so far is the lack of a HUD. It is one of my favorite features. I think I can retrain myself to look at the speedometer, but I rarely look down now since the HUD is in my line of sight. I may get busted speeding in this car lol.
Old 09-15-21, 01:30 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Like I seriously don't get the issue with the infotainment, it has a touch screen now what is the big fuss?!? Some complain about the dated interior, and I am like WTF, that is what I love the most. The friend who is taking over my IS wanted to make sure I had a CD player in it because he has a lot of music on disc and was hoping it had it, so see, everyone is different
Oh my God, seriously. I have no need for my interior to light up like Studio54. They’ve complain about the cruise control too. Who cares if it’s seen in every Toyota/Lexus product, does. it. work?

Last edited by DLPTony; 09-15-21 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-15-21, 01:33 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I couldn't get through Doug's video. He's just too annoying. Same thing with that Raiti guy. The bald guy from Everyday Driver is the worst though.

Has everyone noticed how lackluster these reviews are? Meaning a lot of reviewers got basic stuff wrong. The touchscreen, ASC, trans cooler etc. I know there's more but that's off the top of my head.

For example I do like Matt Farah and think he does a good job, but I felt like he had somewhere else to go while he was reviewing it.
I agree with you. I am annoyed by how many reviews get the basic facts wrong... Many of which are basic facts for not only this new IS 500 but also the already-available IS 350. Kinda a shame.
Old 09-15-21, 02:50 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Wondering what all of you think about Scotty Kilmer's new video today vis-à-vis the IS500:

Old 09-15-21, 03:22 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lexussingh
Do you guys think a standard rear-facing infant seat will fit in the backseats?
It seems like it would, but it also seems like it might be tight...
My little one graduated to front-facing before I reviewed the IS 350 and IS 500, but the IS as a whole is similar to my 2013 ATS, which is the car I used to bring my daughter home from the hospital. No problems fitting a rear-facing seat, although you probably won't want to put a 6-foot-plus human in the front seat. So if you need to fit two tall adults in the front in addition to 2+ rear-seat passengers, an IS isn't big enough for longer things like road trips. But if the front passenger is shorter OR can sit in the rear with the infant, it's not that bad, especially around town.

Wondering what all of you think about Scotty Kilmer's new video today vis-à-vis the IS500:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXpfipXdlsY
My 2 anecdotal and subjective pennies...

1) I generally like Scotty and agree with him on his love for Lexus/Toyota products, although I've stopped watching his videos because he likes to clickbait about quitting YouTube or getting canceled far too often, hahahaha.

2) Much of my enthusiasm comes from a) getting to drive many new Lexus models since starting to write for ClubLexus' front page and b) my WWII vet grandfather switching to Toyota products in the last decade of his life after becoming tired with '80s GM malaise-era junkers.

3) Based on what I've seen, again anecdotally speaking, the Lexus IS is one of the all-time best used cars on the market despite melting dashes and -- as with any vehicle -- if you buy one that was trashed, buyer beware.
macmaster (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 08:44 PM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 511 Likes on 182 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Shoeboy4:
Carolina50 (09-16-21), Racer00J (09-16-21)
Old 09-15-21, 08:51 PM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

Just saw that vid. Lexus just put it up on the IS500 page! I wonder how they were picked.. definitely jealous of the winners!
Old 09-15-21, 08:59 PM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 511 Likes on 182 Posts

I was thinking the same thing
Old 09-15-21, 09:10 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Compromise
Just saw that vid. Lexus just put it up on the IS500 page! I wonder how they were picked.. definitely jealous of the winners!
Jealous of the guy who won the IS500. I hope he has to pay Biden taxes on it.
Compromise (09-15-21)
Old 09-16-21, 12:05 AM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

First thing/mod everyone plans on doing? For me, it would be:
1. Front PPF, whole car ceramic coated
2. Ceramic tint, 70 front, 50 all around
3. Install my Thinkware U1000 dashcam and Uniden R7 Radar Detector :P
4. Black-out the side mirror silver trim

In the future I would want to possibly do some performance mods:
1. Some aftermarket intake that's louder than stock
2. Valved, aftermarket exhaust (Valvetronic, etc). I like having control of how loud I want to be
3. Maybe wider rear tires after wearing through the stock ones (Michelins PS4S ftw)

What does everyone else have planned?
Carolina50 (09-16-21)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance