IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-21 | 07:01 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by teamlexus1
Lexus dropped the ball on the IS500 Limited Edition. While the color is nice, Lexus made no effort to modify the performance of the car. I’m also confused with their choice of the black BBS wheels on the limited edition. Aren’t those wheels supposed to be heavier than the Enkei wheels? Why put them on the IS500 Limited Edition and charge a premium?

The IS500 Limited Edition would be more appealing with 500 horsepower/400 torque, launch control, and 0-60 in 4 seconds flat. I also agree that the Limited Edition should have been on the road already.
BBS wheels are lighter than the Enkei ones. I look forward to the LE sitting on the dealer lot for a long time. I think dealers will have to sell them way under MSRP. Lexus never gives performance upgrades to their special edition lines. I agree it’s a poor package for $6400 extra. Should’ve included at least a CF hood and CF roof.
The following users liked this post:
Racer00J (09-18-21)
Old 09-18-21 | 10:03 AM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by macmaster
BBS wheels are lighter than the Enkei ones. I look forward to the LE sitting on the dealer lot for a long time. I think dealers will have to sell them way under MSRP. Lexus never gives performance upgrades to their special edition lines. I agree it’s a poor package for $6400 extra. Should’ve included at least a CF hood and CF roof.
I'm seriously rethinking my LE order. I reserved it before prices came out. I actually prefer blue, so now I'm thinking hard if I really want to spend this extra money.
arrrghh, so conflicted....
Old 09-18-21 | 02:56 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

I have been in contact with a dealer about ordering an IS500 for a few months now. I asked how they were going to handle deposits (they weren't), how they were handling LE models (first come, first served), custom orders (TBD), and any markups (they weren't planning on it).

Got an email today that they are compiling information on their prospective customers for orders and that they are slapping a $3-5K "addendum" to all IS500 models. I gave him my details and said let me know when we can discuss without markups.
DLPTony (09-18-21)
Old 09-18-21 | 03:31 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kanpai
I Got an email today that they are compiling information on their prospective customers for orders and that they are slapping a $3-5K "addendum" to all IS500 models. I gave him my details and said let me know when we can discuss without markups.
Right on, set the expectation from the start. 👍🏽
Old 09-18-21 | 05:25 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

I have been in contact with a dealer about ordering an IS500 for a few months now. I asked how they were going to handle deposits (they weren't), how they were handling LE models (first come, first served), custom orders (TBD), and any markups (they weren't planning on it).

Got an email today that they are compiling information on their prospective customers for orders and that they are slapping a $3-5K "addendum" to all IS500 models. I gave him my details and said let me know when we can discuss without markups.
What dealership is this? Let’s call them out.
Old 09-18-21 | 08:39 PM
Compromise
Intermediate

I have two dealerships I'm working with:
1. First one knows they are getting a LE and that I am #2 on the list
2. Second has zero idea what's going on, but is the one I put a deposit down on

Dunno why there is such a big difference, lol.
Old 09-19-21 | 06:23 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

What dealership is this? Let’s call them out.
It's a South Jersey dealership. And I don't live on the coast.
Old 09-19-21 | 08:02 AM
LH1
Instructor

It's a South Jersey dealership.
Lexus of Cherry Hill most likely.
Old 09-19-21 | 09:22 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Originally Posted by LH1
Lexus of Cherry Hill most likely.
That's a bingo. Was a bummer because they went out of their way to let me test drive an IS350 FSport when I stopped by in person. I have plenty of other options in the area so I will be contacting other dealerships.
Old 09-19-21 | 09:51 AM
LH1
Instructor

That's a bingo. Was a bummer because they went out of their way to let me test drive an IS350 FSport when I stopped by in person. I have plenty of other options in the area so I will be contacting other dealerships.
I've always heard good things about Lexus of CH so that's a bit of a bummer. Thanks for the info on the "addendum" they're planning on adding to IS 500. I won't waste my time contacting them.

We have a lot of options around here so no biggie.
Old 09-19-21 | 12:24 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LH1
I've always heard good things about Lexus of CH so that's a bit of a bummer. Thanks for the info on the "addendum" they're planning on adding to IS 500. I won't waste my time contacting them.

We have a lot of options around here so no biggie.
This is perfect!!! I love when dealer's greed gives them a bad reputation - I know this is a business and they need to make a profit and can charge what they want but ultimately, customers also have the option to take their business elsewhere. The 500 is a low seller and eventually the chip shortage will get resolved but a bad reputation can take a while to recover from.
neff2641 (09-20-21)
Old 09-19-21 | 03:45 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wthrman2
This is perfect!!! I love when dealer's greed gives them a bad reputation - I know this is a business and they need to make a profit and can charge what they want but ultimately, customers also have the option to take their business elsewhere. The 500 is a low seller and eventually the chip shortage will get resolved but a bad reputation can take a while to recover from.
once dealers start getting the cars and we talk business with them we can start a new thread linked to a Google spreadsheet where we track which dealers are marking them up and which aren’t. Power to the people!
The following 10 users liked this post by macmaster:
arentz07 (09-20-21), Carolina50 (09-19-21), DLPTony (09-19-21), Kandyman1 (09-19-21), Kanpai (09-20-21), kittens (09-19-21), natnut (09-20-21), SeanSkiVT (09-20-21), Shoeboy4 (09-19-21), wthrman2 (09-20-21) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-20-21 | 05:56 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

once dealers start getting the cars and we talk business with them we can start a new thread linked to a Google spreadsheet where we track which dealers are marking them up and which aren’t. Power to the people!
I've already reached out to 5 dealers in my area, so I will keep updating with what I hear. I know Corvette forums did this for the C8, so don't see why we can't do the same here.
Old 09-20-21 | 05:57 AM
Hemmarket
Rookie

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Just another gimmick that car companies try and do to appease the greenies and eco-save-the-planet-my-a$$ people. Yet the same people that also drive SUV and fly all over the world for their little getaway vacations and burn unnecessary fuel....don't even get me going!!
Yes, don't get going. Save your political anger for another forum. And unless you have another planet to live on, someone better care about our rapidly disappearing world. And yes we all have flaws, but its better than doing nothing. On the topic at hand, supposedly they used racing-type parts that can take the start/restart at traffic lights, but that was Porsche who said that, and they are breakdown kings, so no, I don't believe they are a good thing.
Carolina50 (09-20-21)
Old 09-20-21 | 06:04 AM
Hemmarket
Rookie

Originally Posted by Carolina50
It's weird to me, because I thought in school I was told that an engine takes more fuel when you start them up. And that was one of the reasons given for when tractor trailers would be left on/idling. It's been a while, but maybe I misunderstood or things have changed.
I was in an Uber this weekend with start/stop and that was annoying to me and not something I would want in my personal vehicle.
Actually only 5% of your gas actually propels the vehicle forward, its very inefficient our combustion engines. So idling is a waste, but accelerating from a start is what uses most of your gas, with lots of gears, your vehicle is basically coasting when you are maintaining a speed on a flat surface. I do agree that stop/start is annoying though. Being a car guy, like most people on here, I had crappy cars growing up, and sometimes getting the car to start at all was a chore (see SAAB 900 Turbo) and when my car shuts off at a light, I always wonder if it will restart, so I disable the function. Tractor Trailers often idle because diesel engines are a different beast, and they are tougher to cold start in winter.

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance