IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.
View Poll Results: Which one would you pick?
2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance
65.32%
2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance Launch Edition
34.68%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Which would you pick? IS 500 F SPORT Performance or IS 500 Launch Edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 10:25 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

The incognito color I'm assuming is the nardo grey.. beautiful color.. people go out and pay $2-3K to rewrap their cars this color and Lexus is offering it from factory
Old 03-26-21, 02:07 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer00J
If I was getting an IS500 I'd get a regular one. Reason: I've always been partial to Ultrasonic Blue. It's my favorite F and F Sport color. And while I really like the suede interior in the launch edition, I'd easily give that interior up to have the USB paint. And the launch edition, while cool looking, doesn't seem special enough to me to warrant passing up on USB.

I wasn't a fan of the black BBS wheels (I usually don't like matte black wheels. They tend to look really cheap, like they were spray painted or something) until I saw them up close in person this past weekend. They're actually pretty nice, buuut I actually like the unique look of the Enkei wheels offered on the IS500. And the fact that they're lightweight is a nice bonus too.

Sidenote: this might sound odd but USB was the main reason I wanted an F Sport. Sadly, I couldn't find any decent ones when I was ready to buy, so I happily settled for a non F Sport IS.
USB is the best.
The following users liked this post:
cp2 (05-18-21)
Old 03-26-21, 02:59 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Let's not ignore the fact that suede seats are the worst compared to leather. Why would you pay extra for suede????

Launch Edition is a bust for me.
redhunter (12-31-21)
Old 03-26-21, 06:59 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
For those that don't prefer Incognito...what color do you prefer?

Great feedback, keep it coming. I'm surprised some like the Enkeis over the BBS.
Cloudburst Grey and Atomic Silver, Ultrasonic Blue is fantastic too.

I like the Enkeis, they remind me of the flower style wheels on the later IS Fs.
Old 03-27-21, 06:56 AM
SickAF
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don’t get the point of launch editions lol.
Sasnuke (03-27-21)
Old 03-27-21, 07:46 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
For those that don't prefer Incognito...what color do you prefer?

Great feedback, keep it coming. I'm surprised some like the Enkeis over the BBS.
Yeah, not a fan of the Enkei wheels at all. Way too busy and I prefer black wheels to begin with, so BBS >>.

I really like Incognito a lot, but I think I prefer Cloudburst grey, Atomic Silver, Caviar a little more.
Old 03-27-21, 12:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Let's not ignore the fact that suede seats are the worst compared to leather. Why would you pay extra for suede????

Launch Edition is a bust for me.
Depends on who you ask. I miss the Alcantara seating in my original IS 300 and wished my RC F had more microfiber/ultrasuede type materials in the seats. Ultrasuede is not to be confused with suede of the past.

Read about it: https://www.ultrasuede.us/about/science.html
The following 2 users liked this post by flipside909:
cp2 (05-18-21), natnut (03-28-21)
Old 03-27-21, 06:16 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 835 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
If I am, so be it.
For what the "Launch Edition" moniker is worth they might as well have called it an IS500 Type-R...
Based on the comments about the color and wheels, it looks like the "Launch Edition" is on the road to being the "Dud Edition" anyways.
The way I got this is not related to a launch control or anything performance wise, but this being the first one or the "launch" of the "F-Sport Performance" lineup.
The following 4 users liked this post by Answer:
flipside909 (03-30-21), ISBuzzman (03-31-21), natnut (03-28-21), Sasnuke (03-27-21)
Old 03-27-21, 08:35 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Answer
The way I got this is not related to a launch control or anything performance wise, but this being the first one or the "launch" of the "F-Sport Performance" lineup.
This is probably the first interpretation of "Launch Edition" i could get behind.
wthrman2 (03-29-21)
Old 03-28-21, 06:58 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

I like neither the Launch Edition color nor the Dynamic Handling Package Wheels. I like both the IS350 F-Sport wheels and the standard F-Performance Enkeis.

I'll have mine in Ultrasonic Blue 2.0. I just wish I could get a Parchment/Tan interior.
Old 03-29-21, 06:05 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm not really in the market for it and love my 12 ISF, but I would pick the regular edition in white, after that silver or black all with red interior. Really love seeing the red and blue Lexus offers but I'm a little low key, and my past 20 cars have always been one of the first 3 colors I mentioned. Lexus silver is best of any brand IMO. As "unique" as the Nardo grey color is, it's actually quite common these days, at my local C&C this weekend every other Audi was that color and more than a few other cars like Hellcats, Huracans, M3's rocked it as well. For me it just screams Scion TC Cement gray.

Wheels I'd swap for some 5 spoke Gramlights/Advans with wider tires, and I wasn't a fan of the black wood accents. I'm sure the Launch edition will be marked up more than regular models and at $65k+ it would be a tough sell.
Old 03-29-21, 09:19 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

I am not into the Launch Edition edition - I never liked the blacked out wheels and such. I am hoping that the IS500 will have wheels that will be taste and won't be offering gimmicky packaging with over-the-top features. Lexus needs to understand that some people want a clean looking IS with the power of the V8 without wanting to look like someone from the fast and furious. I love the wheel design of the IS350 and I hope that the Enkei wheels will be part of a "special package" and the "basic IS500" will have normal wheels.

Sasnuke - I know you are the king here on when it comes to specs and such, from your perspective, do you feel that the wheels on the IS350 would fit that of the IS500? They said that the Enkei wheels would be 19" as are those of the IS350. I know the bolt pattern would be the same but I suspect there would be enough clearance for the rotors/calipers right? Worse case scenario, if I hate the wheels on the IS500, I can always have a set of wheels ordered
Old 03-29-21, 09:43 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Sasnuke - I know you are the king here on when it comes to specs and such, from your perspective, do you feel that the wheels on the IS350 would fit that of the IS500? They said that the Enkei wheels would be 19" as are those of the IS350. I know the bolt pattern would be the same but I suspect there would be enough clearance for the rotors/calipers right? Worse case scenario, if I hate the wheels on the IS500, I can always have a set of wheels ordered
I think the determining factor will be what they decide to do with the brakes...specifically the front calipers.
If they're not trying to make an IS F, them it would seem the Brembo brakes aren't going to make it onto the IS500.
Having said that, if they are adding 160 hp to the car (350 V6 vs 500 V8), then I can't see them using the current brakes...this would mean the 350 has brakes that are complete overall right now...which they aren't.
If they put a 6 piston caliper on the front, and it's not the Brembos, then what is it going to be?
I think dimensionally the 350 wheels will fit the wheel well and 19 inch will be enough to clear even the Brembo brakes, but will there be enough offset so the spokes clear the caliper...whatever the caliper ends up being.
If they do end up putting the Brembo's on...lets say in just a raw finish, no fancy colors, then the only aesthetic missing is the front fender vents to make this an "F" looking car...following the GSF/RCF/ISF.
In which case the aftermarket is going to be all over that, like white on rice, to make front fenders/rockers that now have the vent.

wthrman2 (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 09:56 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ I appreciate the input as always - The sad part is that it will be hard to know the official answer without having one to test the fitment and given that this will not be a car that every region will have plenty of, it will be hard to know for sure. I think the best best will be for me to hold off and see what wheel will be on the car and if it looks great, then so be it, if not, I'll just pass and either keep my RC or get the IS350. I could live with the Enkei wheels but I am not sure if these will be part of a fancy package or the base wheel on the IS500. I am just worried the 2 options will be the BBS (black wheel) as far as the base IS500 and the Enkei wheels as part of 10K+ option trim. Time will tell I guess
Old 03-29-21, 12:14 PM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 512 Likes on 182 Posts

I think the enkeis will be the regular standard wheel on the IS500 as they are not forged and only 2lbs a wheel less than the standard F Sport wheels and the BBS that are 4lbs lighter a wheel would be offered in a package or extra pricing option
The following 2 users liked this post by Shoeboy4:
wthrman2 (03-29-21), ZiBill (03-29-21)

Quick Reply: Which would you pick? IS 500 F SPORT Performance or IS 500 Launch Edition