IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.
View Poll Results: How much over sticker ?
29.41%
44.12%
26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

IS500 Market Adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 04:40 PM
gsrbri
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is 500 le

I’m 1st on the list for a 2022 LE - they said they weren’t intending to upcharge the car.
Old 04-20-21, 07:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

If you don't like the price, move on and find another dealer.
Old 04-24-21, 04:16 PM
TheCarGuy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I am a salesperson a one price Lexus store and will not be charging over MSRP we have no one in line for ours either.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheCarGuy1:
SeanSkiVT (04-27-21), wthrman2 (09-04-21)
Old 04-26-21, 01:07 PM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 512 Likes on 182 Posts

I have been sending feelers out about deposits and lists and had a dealer tell me today they are taking deposits and are wholly expecting the cars Msrp to start in the $80k-90k range.

Last edited by Shoeboy4; 04-26-21 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-26-21, 04:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoeboy4
I have been sending feelers out about deposits and lists and had a dealer tell me today they are taking deposits and are wholly expecting the cars Msrp to start in the $80k-90k range. Needless to say that dealership has been crossed off of the list
I honestly don't think it will go that high starting. Perhaps the dealership it self is marking it up to that...keep looking.
The following users liked this post:
Shoeboy4 (04-26-21)
Old 04-26-21, 05:12 PM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 512 Likes on 182 Posts

I definitely am. I have contacted 5 in northern CA so far and just going to keep reaching out until I find one to work with, eventually will reach out to all in CA and possibly other states if need be. Toying with the idea of asking if the deposit slot is at msrp and writing just to see their answer
Old 04-27-21, 11:16 AM
SeanSkiVT
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think there will be a market adjustment. I have a deposit at a local dealership, and they didn't say anything about having to pay over MSRP when I put the money down. If they try and add a markup I'll just walk and get my deposit back, adding another $5k likely puts me into RS5 and M3 pricing, and there are RS5 Sportbacks on the lot at the dealership next door. I'd just walk over and buy that instead.
Old 09-04-21, 03:16 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
If there was a $0 option I would have voted.
Everywhere is different when it comes to pricing...where I am it's illegal to mark up the vehicle above the advertised price.
Let's assume the IS500 comes as one trim level (no option package) and the Lexus advertised price is $65K...that will be the price at every dealer...plus of course Sales Tax, PDS, Licensing, and Admin Fee.
If the dealer wants to sell it for less than advertised, they can certainly do that...but they can't just bump the price to $70K plus all the associated fees.
An no the Admin Fee isn't a hidden markup, it's just a few hundred bucks usually for all the paperwork processing.
They can bump it up if they want. There are 2 IS 350's right now with $3000 adjusted market value added to msrp at the Lexus SoCal dealership that I bought mine from..

Remember...

MSRP stands for “Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price.” Emphasis on the “Suggested.” There is no set price for any automobile in nearly every case in the US. The dealer can charge what they want, and more often than not in the past, they charge consumers less than the suggested price, not more. For the coming year or possibly more that may not be the case. Expect dealers to charge more than suggested.
Vitveet (03-22-22)
Old 09-04-21, 03:35 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

If there was a $0 option I would have voted.
Everywhere is different when it comes to pricing...where I am it's illegal to mark up the vehicle above the advertised price.
Let's assume the IS500 comes as one trim level (no option package) and the Lexus advertised price is $65K...that will be the price at every dealer...plus of course Sales Tax, PDS, Licensing, and Admin Fee.
If the dealer wants to sell it for less than advertised, they can certainly do that...but they can't just bump the price to $70K plus all the associated fees.
An no the Admin Fee isn't a hidden markup, it's just a few hundred bucks usually for all the paperwork processing.
Originally Posted by GaryJG
They can bump it up if they want. There are 2 IS 350's right now with $3000 adjusted market value added to msrp at the Lexus SoCal dealership that I bought mine from..

Remember...

MSRP stands for “Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price.” Emphasis on the “Suggested.” There is no set price for any automobile in nearly every case in the US. The dealer can charge what they want, and more often than not in the past, they charge consumers less than the suggested price, not more. For the coming year or possibly more that may not be the case. Expect dealers to charge more than suggested.
I would agree with you with regards to US dealers, and even other places around the continent.
I think the key words from my original message is "where I am it's illegal to mark up the vehicle above the advertised price."
I'm in Ontario, Canada, and we have a regulator called OMVIC for vehicle sales...and under their legislation the dealer cannot markup the vehicle above the advertised price from the manufacturer (as we are dealing with a new vehicle in this scenario).
Once again, these are the laws where I am...I don't expect this to be a common occurrence in many places by any means.
Old 09-04-21, 04:24 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

I would agree with you with regards to US dealers, and even other places around the continent.
I think the key words from my original message is "where I am it's illegal to mark up the vehicle above the advertised price."
I'm in Ontario, Canada, and we have a regulator called OMVIC for vehicle sales...and under their legislation the dealer cannot markup the vehicle above the advertised price from the manufacturer (as we are dealing with a new vehicle in this scenario).
Once again, these are the laws where I am...I don't expect this to be a common occurrence in many places by any means.
OMVIC does not regulate vehicle manufacturers; therefore advertisements placed by manufacturers do not have to comply with the MVDA and all-in pricing is not required in manufacturer ads. That said, some manufacturers voluntarily comply with the all-in pricing provision and commendably provide transparency to consumers.
Old 09-04-21, 04:38 PM
Kandyman1
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default I don't get it

I hate polls like this which IMO seem to do nothing but prepare people to be taken advantage of by greedy dealerships. Unless stuck without transportation (like when coming out of an existing lease) why would anyone want to pay more than MSRP for a car when in 6 months or less, it definitely will be selling at or below MSRP? Are you so impatient that you're willing to blow away thousands just to say you got it first? I don't get it. Maybe I am just too rational about how I spend my money.
Old 09-04-21, 04:49 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ No one NEEDS an IS500 so if dealers want to try and charge over MSRP for this vehicle, people should just walk away and leave the dealer hold the inventory. I am more than happy to take one off their hands but I will never allow myself to be manipulated into thinking that I must pay above sticker price to be in that vehicle. I would just walk and would leave me so sour that I would never buy another Lexus or vehicle from that dealer ever!! Of course, a sucker is born every minute or some people have more money to know what to do with it but rather than give it to a sleezy salesperson trying to take advantage of me, I would rather donate to charity and help someone.

Again, like Sasnuke, I am in Canada and I believe the rules are different here but I was also assured (in writing from my dealer) that they would never sell a vehicle above MSRP.
Old 09-04-21, 05:30 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
OMVIC does not regulate vehicle manufacturers; therefore advertisements placed by manufacturers do not have to comply with the MVDA and all-in pricing is not required in manufacturer ads. That said, some manufacturers voluntarily comply with the all-in pricing provision and commendably provide transparency to consumers.
You are correct that OMVIC doesn't regulate the vehicle manufacturer.
OMVIC regulates the price for new and used vehicles so that the advertised price includes all fees, or as you stated, the "all-in price"...within the province of Ontario Canada only.
When you go to Toyota.ca/Lexus.ca, the first thing they have you select is the province/territory for which you are looking for vehicle pricing...ideally the province you live in...to ensure pricing is accurate.
From there you can go ahead to build your vehicle to see what the final price will be...based on trim selected, color, accessories, etc.
When the manufacturer does ads for national pricing it creates a little bit of a challenge as that may not be the exact price for every province or territory based on several factors.

My point, and last comment on this, is that if a brand new IS500 is priced on Lexus.ca, for the province of Ontario, at $69,999, then that is the price when you show up to the dealer to buy the exact model that is advertised...plus tax, licensing, and admin fees.
If you show up to the dealer and the price in now $72,999 (before tax, licensing, and admin fees) for the exact same model that is advertised, then there is an issue with the dealer as they are violating the law, and OMVIC should be called.

Just for reference, below is the disclaimer when you look to purchase a 2021 IS from Lexus.ca if you're based in Ontario, which has a starting price of $42,950.

IS

MSRP of $42,950 is for the Lexus IS 300 RWD, shown. MSRP does not include Freight and PDI of $2,115, Air Conditioning Charge of $100, license, insurance, registration, applicable taxes, if leased or financed - applicable PPSA fees of up to $91.25 and PPSA service fees of up to $4 (varies by lease/loan/term/province), levies and Dealership or other Fees. Your local Dealership may sell for less.

As noted in the last sentence...the dealer may sell for less...selling for more isn't going to happen.

In case anyone is wondering, the starting price for a 2021 IS350 AWD (cause we don't get the RWD) is $53,300 CAD.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
roastpuff (09-04-21), wthrman2 (09-04-21)
Old 09-04-21, 11:49 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kandyman1
I hate polls like this which IMO seem to do nothing but prepare people to be taken advantage of by greedy dealerships. Unless stuck without transportation (like when coming out of an existing lease) why would anyone want to pay more than MSRP for a car when in 6 months or less, it definitely will be selling at or below MSRP? Are you so impatient that you're willing to blow away thousands just to say you got it first? I don't get it. Maybe I am just too rational about how I spend my money.
im sorry for making the poll, I just know it’s going to happen base on the chip shortage. I have never paid over msrp but times has changed and I’m beginning to accept the current market. Purpose was to share our thoughts and I appreciate you sharing.

You absolute have the right to be rational about how you spend your money. I think everyone rationalize how much they are willing to spend differently. Time is money, some people have more money then time. Vice versa.
Old 09-05-21, 01:03 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sw2oboi
im sorry for making the poll, I just know it’s going to happen base on the chip shortage. I have never paid over msrp but times has changed and I’m beginning to accept the current market. Purpose was to share our thoughts and I appreciate you sharing.

You absolute have the right to be rational about how you spend your money. I think everyone rationalize how much they are willing to spend differently. Time is money, some people have more money then time. Vice versa.

Thats true.

My salesman said that he only has 2 350's to last 60 days. Both marked up $5000 above MSRP.

I inquired about the IS 500. Seems to think it will MSRP in the high 60's with an additional $10,000 mark up due to global shortage of cars
sw2oboi (09-05-21)

Quick Reply: IS500 Market Adjustment.