IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

2022 Lexus IS500F Performance alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 11:40 AM
Dsldsl
Driver School Candidate

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2022 Lexus IS500F Performance alternatives

I'm really interested in the 2022 IS500, and want to make sure I'm not overlooking any other competitors. I like good performance, but don't race. I also want 4 doors, reliability, and a good looking car (I know this is subjective).
One of the things I'm not convinced about is the rear space for occassional passengers.
What other competitor's cars should I consider or is the IS500 going to be that great of a car?
Thanks

Old 09-08-21, 01:36 PM
roastpuff
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I posted this in another car forum that I'm in but I'll post it here too:

Well, if you're using the criteria of RWD + V8 + compact sedan there isn't really anything new at the price. If you are willing to compromise on the first two (AWD ok, not V8 ok) it adds a few other competitors.

BMW only makes xDrive 3 series sedans now - no more RWD for the M340i. If you want RWD you have to step up to the M3, and that's over 100K CAD nowadays (whereas the F80 M3 was still in the high 80s range). Granted the M340i is likely to be faster than the IS500, but having driven it, the car feels artificial. It's fast, very competent, but doesn't really have anything to give it character or personality. Have not driven the M3 (either F80 or G80) so I can't comment.

The C63/C63S is similarly priced to the M3 once you start adding options, and it's the only other game if you want a luxury-badged sedan with a V8. Honestly if you have the means this is probably an amazing choice - the AMGs have a lot of character, a lot of fun, and have the interior wow factor that the Lexus and BMW are both missing. Test drove the C43 AMG and it was much more alive and fun/naughty than the BMW M340i.

The Audi S4 is a comfortable, fast, daily cruiser - the best cruiser out of the Germans IMO. Very good daily. Has the same issue as the M340i in that it feels mildly sterile and disengaged, but has the best interior space and daily driving characteristics.

When you look to the USA, you have the Dodge Chargers/Hellcats as the sole remaining domestic entrant in the V8 sedan space, but you don't get the premium build quality/badge of the luxury brands. You do get a larger vehicle, and the price is pretty good.

Cadillac's CT4-V Blackwing is similarly priced and compares to the IS500, it has manual transmission and is likely faster on track than any bar the M3/M4. Have not driven or sat in one yet. Styling also isn't really my cup of tea.

Alfa Romeo - the Giulia Quadrifoglio is a beautiful car, but the full QF is closer to M3/M4 pricing (especially in Canada). I wish they made an in-between version - you either have the 2.0T 280HP version or the QF with 500HP. Also, reliability is a concern, as is the dealer experience.

Of course, all these other competitors will also have the baggage of depreciation and possible problems past their warranty period, as you pointed out. That's one thing that is a black mark for my wife and I when we are running our comparisons. Currently owning a 10-year old GTI (soon to be 11) that has had it's fair share of issues throughout the ownership period has left us a bit wary of German cars.
Old 09-08-21, 02:04 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by roastpuff;11122173[color=#222222
BMW only makes xDrive 3 series sedans now - no more RWD for the M340i. If you want RWD you have to step up to the M3, and that's over 100K CAD nowadays (whereas the F80 M3 was still in the high 80s range). Granted the M340i is likely to be faster than the IS500, but having driven it, the car feels artificial. It's fast, very competent, but doesn't really have anything to give it character or personality. Have not driven the M3 (either F80 or G80) so I can't comment.
In the US, we get a RWD version of the M340i. Just thought I would point that out.

I think most of the examples above are also more expensive than the IS 500 will likely be, based on rumors. Almost all are also quicker. However, the only options that have a V8 outside of the Lexus are the AMG models, which are more expensive, as well as being turbo instead of NA.

I find the IS 500 to be relatively unique in its approach, but I would certainly cross-shop it with something like the S4 and M340i, perhaps even the C 43 AMG as well. I think the pricing of the IS 500 will likely fall on the lower end of those models, and it won't be as expensive fully-loaded either due to its limited options sheet.

I would say the CT4-V (not the Blackwing) or CT5-V would also be good options to look at. They would have similar performance numbers. I suppose you could throw in a wildcard of the TLX Type S if you decide RWD is not important.
Old 09-08-21, 02:19 PM
roastpuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by arentz07
In the US, we get a RWD version of the M340i. Just thought I would point that out.
Oops yeah. Well BMW Canada has decided that they will not sell any RWD 3-series cars in Canada (or 4-series for that matter) and neither does MB - 4Matic only. It makes sense considering the market preferences. Lexus Canada barely sells any RWD IS's either.

I also forgot the Kia Stinger and the G70 - less power and price, but good alternatives if you like them. The Stinger doesn't come RWD in Canada either whereas the G70's base models do but not the 3.3T models.
Old 09-08-21, 02:27 PM
Dsldsl
Driver School Candidate

Very good information @roastpuff ! I'm looking at the AMG C63S as well. It seems to be a little better in most areas except reliability. Also, not sure if I can find any new ones at a decent price.
Do you know how the back seat space compares on these?
Old 09-08-21, 03:01 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsldsl
Very good information @roastpuff ! I'm looking at the AMG C63S as well. It seems to be a little better in most areas except reliability. Also, not sure if I can find any new ones at a decent price.
nothing like a hand build v8, pricing for v8 MB has skyrocketed. MB stop production of v8s.

to the OP, Lexus hands down is the most reliable. But if you lease then who cares. I was between the s4, m340, and c43. I went with the m340 quite easily. But if I have to purchase, it would be the is500. Or m340 with extended warranty haha
Old 09-08-21, 03:36 PM
roastpuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dsldsl
The C63S would be the ultimate V8 compact sports sedan, if you didn't care about price or long-term reliability. It's much more powerful than the IS, is more loud and shouty and has so much character. The interior is unfortunately not befitting a car of the price - it has those MB center console creaks whenever you touch the trim, and the lower half feels cheaper with hard plastics. Price for the 63 version is out of my budget, unfortunately. The C-series have a pretty tight back seat. My personal ranking of back seats in terms of space goes like this (I'm average height 5' 9" as info):

Charger -> A4 -> 3-series -> Lexus IS -> C-class.

Have not tried the Alfa or the CT4 to compare.
Old 09-08-21, 03:41 PM
Dsldsl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roastpuff
The C-series have a pretty tight back seat. My personal ranking of back seats in terms of space goes like this (I'm average height 5' 9" as info):

Charger -> A4 -> 3-series -> Lexus IS -> C-class.

Have not tried the Alfa or the CT4 to compare.
I didnt realize the C63 was that tight in the back seat. I was looking for new ones and CPO C63/C63S, but they went up quite a bit. Considering overall value, the IS500 is still looking like the frontrunner for me.
Old 09-08-21, 03:47 PM
roastpuff
Rookie

Note that this is my personal rankings - after adjusting the front seat for my seating position. On paper it seems like the C-class has more room (35.2 inches vs Lexus 32.2) but in real life it didn't feel that way. The Lexus IS supposedly has more front legroom as well. Nothing beats sitting in them yourself - the seating space is the same no matter if it's a C300 or a C63 so just go to the local MB dealer and check one out.
Old 09-08-21, 04:23 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

total apples to oranges but I am seriously considering a Tesla Model 3 Performance. I've always swore off EVs and had my heart set on the IS 500 but if California dealers try and gouge us with markups and supply may be limited out to next year, that 3.1 second sprint to 60, plenty of interior room, and not having to pay for pump gas is luring.
Old 09-08-21, 04:56 PM
Dsldsl
Driver School Candidate

The Tesla is nice,but I'm not ready for EV just yet!
If I can find a new C63/S for around 75K, then I'd go with that. I'm hearing around 60-65K for the IS500.
Old 09-08-21, 05:08 PM
Dsldsl
Driver School Candidate

The Tesla is nice,but I'm not ready for EV just yet!
If I can find a new C63/S for around 75K, then I'd go with that. I'm hearing around 60-65K for the IS500.

Old 09-08-21, 05:36 PM
ashschwin
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

Assuming the price range will be in the $65K+ range, I would probably also consider test driving an RS5 sportback.
Old 09-08-21, 05:41 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

It’s the return of the famous naturally aspirated 5L V8 in an IS that makes the IS500 all or nothing for me. It’s not that I want a new car. It’s that I want THIS car. I’m even remotely interested in BMW Mercedes or Audi or any other car in the world for that matter. Tesla’s feel cheap by the way and in CA every one has one. Not even cool anymore.
Old 09-08-21, 07:23 PM
Dsldsl
Driver School Candidate

I hear you @macmaster , there is also definitely the appeal of the NA V8 for me too. I imterested in the feel of the car, the engine sound, and the driving experience. Does the NA V8 sound better than a V8 turbo? I have been reading up on the RS5 as well.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus IS500F Performance alternatives