IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500: Base or Premium

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-21, 09:31 AM
Kandyman1
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default IS500: Base or Premium

I think its time to break out IS500 topics from the mega thread.
The topic here is not whether the Premium package is worth USD $4500, but rather whether you care for the additional features to buy it above the base. The Lexus press release at https://pressroom.lexus.com/2022-lex...t-performance/ mentions:

"The 2022 IS 500 will have a starting MSRP of $56,500, making it highly competitive within the mid-performance segment. The starting price of the of the IS 500 Premium is $61,000, offering customers the same high-output powertrain, with the addition of convenience features like Mark Levinson 17-speaker Premium Surround Sound Audio System, navigation system, panoramic view monitor, triple beam LED headlights and power rear sunshade."

If you read the last sentence carefully, you will notice the wording implies the list of features mentioned is not conclusive. There's also no mention of whether the Moonroof and Memory features are included in base or premium. But let's go ahead and discuss the Premium features listed. Here's my opinion (and questions) on each of these them:
  • Rear sunshade: Don't care for it. I have one in my E class and for 9 years now, I may have raised it maybe 5 times, when someone asked that that button does. Otherwise, with a good tint - which I will add - there's no need for the rear sunshade.
  • Triple beam LED headlights: Not sure. Do they provide additional functionality like tilt and pan for self-leveling and lighting into corners? If not, I don't think I care for it.
  • Panoramic view: Don't care for it. Rear camera is sufficient. On a big truck/SUV/minivan, panoramic view make sense. This is a small car.
  • Navigation system: Not sure. With Android Auto/Apple Car Play, I think built-in Nav systems are less relevant. Their maps are not always as current as you get from Google/Apple for instance. I don't know whether Lexus does free map updates and free traffic data in this generation of their Nav.
    However, if not getting Premium forces you to the smaller 8" screen, that will be a strong arm twister to force me to Premium.
  • ML stereo: Not sure. I am not an audiophile. Is there enough of a difference from base audio for a regular ear to notice when I slot-in my Snoop Dog or U2 CD? (Btw, you know you're getting old when your teenage kids think a CD/DVD is some legacy thing )
My opinion above leans towards not caring for Premium but that can change. We also need to get clarity from Lexus on the Moonroof and Memory features. Memory is a must-have for me. What are your thoughts?
Old 09-12-21, 09:40 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

I 100% want the premium package, wouldn't buy a car without it.

I love the ML stereo, LED headlights are super bright, and the panoramic view is very useful. I wanted pano view on my ES, but it wasn't available. I don't really care for the rear sunshade as I will get the windows tinted and I rarely use navigation through Lexus because it's not that great. I usually use it on my phone and with Android Auto I will use that for nav 100% of the time when needed.
Old 09-12-21, 10:47 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

personally, memory seats are a must. the rest I could do without. if any of the dealers end up getting a base in the color combo I want, 100% I would jump on it. I would prefer not to have the moonroof as well. less weight esp. up top.
Old 09-12-21, 10:56 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Would choose only memory seats/steering wheel and ML if possible. I would enjoy the sunroof as I live a couple miles from the beach. Regular headlights actually have better visibility but the 3 LEDs definitely look more menacing for cars ahead of you lol.
Old 09-12-21, 11:37 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by macmaster
Would choose only memory seats/steering wheel and ML if possible. I would enjoy the sunroof as I live a couple miles from the beach. Regular headlights actually have better visibility but the 3 LEDs definitely look more menacing for cars ahead of you lol.
My LED lights are brighter than the 2016 RX without LED. It is close, though.
Old 09-12-21, 11:56 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Can you even get Base model without special order from dealer I doubt it? As for Panoramic view it’s a lot more useful than you’d think. You need front camera to avoid your front bumper from scraping parking blocks. I even added after market front camera to my IS.
Old 09-12-21, 12:00 PM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

Personally, the premium package is a must for me. I'll be keeping the vehicle for the foreseeable future, so fully loaded options will only increase my enjoyment. I really hope that the "Memory package" is included in Premium. Some reviewers said it is, while others say something else. I haven't seen any physical buttons for different seat options in any of the videos/pictures of reviews as of right now from the press vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
DeepBlue99 (08-29-23)
Old 09-12-21, 12:44 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by dojoman
Can you even get Base model without special order from dealer I doubt it? As for Panoramic view it’s a lot more useful than you’d think. You need front camera to avoid your front bumper from scraping parking blocks. I even added after market front camera to my IS.
That is what I like it for, front bumper protection. I never touched a curb in my super low C7 because it had front cameras. I could park perfect every time, they were a life saver.
Old 09-12-21, 12:49 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

I would be fine with a base but I agree with a lot of people here. No dealers will be ordering one. Most likely a special order.

95bat, I see you had a 16 Vette. Were you tempted to get a C8? I see one in silver pretty regularly driving around where I live. I love it.
Old 09-12-21, 01:18 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

I don't have a choice up here but if I did, I'd still go for the premium...Go big or go home!
Old 09-12-21, 01:24 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Kandyman1
  • Rear sunshade: Don't care for it. I have one in my E class and for 9 years now, I may have raised it maybe 5 times, when someone asked that that button does. Otherwise, with a good tint - which I will add - there's no need for the rear sunshade.
  • Triple beam LED headlights: Not sure. Do they provide additional functionality like tilt and pan for self-leveling and lighting into corners? If not, I don't think I care for it.
  • Panoramic view: Don't care for it. Rear camera is sufficient. On a big truck/SUV/minivan, panoramic view make sense. This is a small car.
  • Navigation system: Not sure. With Android Auto/Apple Car Play, I think built-in Nav systems are less relevant. Their maps are not always as current as you get from Google/Apple for instance. I don't know whether Lexus does free map updates and free traffic data in this generation of their Nav.
    However, if not getting Premium forces you to the smaller 8" screen, that will be a strong arm twister to force me to Premium.
  • ML stereo: Not sure. I am not an audiophile. Is there enough of a difference from base audio for a regular ear to notice when I slot-in my Snoop Dog or U2 CD? (Btw, you know you're getting old when your teenage kids think a CD/DVD is some legacy thing )
Of the 5 features mentioned above I could do without any of them.

Rear Sunshade - useless
Triple beam headlights - would look cool, but not a 'must have'
Panoramic - once again cool, but I reverse park everywhere I go, so it wouldn't help me out much or at all...rear camera is all I need
Navigation - built-in Navi would be nice, but Android Auto with Google Maps will always be superior
ML Audio - not an audiophile...the base audio in my 2014 250 is enough for me

The sunroof...now this is something that I would definitely prefer...but if it came in a package with a bunch of stuff I don't need for some ridiculous price, it would end up on the chopping block.
Old 09-12-21, 01:43 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ Sasnuke - I agree with your assessment minus the ML. That is the one thing I wished my 2021 IS350 had because I love a good quality audio system and from what I see, the 2021 ML in the IS is an improvement over the previous year. I will never use a rear sunshade, I don't need a sunroof, I don't need navigation in a town with about 20 streets and such, but ML is high on my list
Sasnuke (09-13-21)
Old 09-12-21, 02:11 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by LH1
I would be fine with a base but I agree with a lot of people here. No dealers will be ordering one. Most likely a special order.

95bat, I see you had a 16 Vette. Were you tempted to get a C8? I see one in silver pretty regularly driving around where I live. I love it.
Yes, VERY tempted. If I had a 3 car garage I would have bought one and then daily drove something else. The Corvette was hard for me to daily driver after a couple years. Plus, our summers here are absolutely brutal and the AC in the C7 wasn't that great. I doubt it's any better in the C8.

This is why I like the IS 500 so much... it's an excellent blend of performance and comfort. I will be able to daily drive it for a long time and not get my "itch" for more speed. I was tempted to just get a CT5-V Blackwing, but I don't think I want to spend the money on a $92k car as I built it. It's not a big deal in my current job, but I want to leave this state and I'll make less money, which means I'd probably have to get rid of the CT5. I can keep the IS 500 though
Old 09-12-21, 02:28 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

It's crazy how bad the sound system in the 3IS is. 2 cars I compared to were 2013 Camry and an older Lexus GX (2008). Camry sounds slightly better and the GX blew it out of the water. Even the new 2021 Corollas have a pretty good sound system standard, not sure why it's so lackluster in IS. I added an aftermarket sub which helps significantly but when you put the music up loud, it starts to distort.

I've never heard the ML sound system but that has to be a must moving forward
wthrman2 (09-12-21)
Old 09-12-21, 06:37 PM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

Rear shade: No need for it. Played around with one in a G80 and it seems like a gimmicky feature to me.
Triple beam headlights: A really beautiful design on the '21. Honestly, love how they look... but I can live without them.
Panoramic view: Handy feature for sure. I've driven cars with it but, as mentioned before, I don't think it's necessary in a vehicle this size.
Navigation system: I really never use the factory nav. Only plus would be getting the larger screen, which would be very nice to have, but I can live without it.
ML stereo: Always heard great things about ML, but have never experienced it myself... therefore; wouldn't miss what I've never had. As much as people complain about the base stereo in the IS, it works just fine for me.

In short, I'd be happy with the base IS500.

Quick Reply: IS500: Base or Premium