IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Would you buy a 2022 IS500 now or wait for a hypothetical new IS F?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-21, 05:06 PM
Kandyman1
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
I would’ve believed you a year ago but honestly all signs point to another IS F. Lexus clearly left room for a full blown F with the IS500 and T. Bell (Townsend not taco) himself said it’s an exciting time to be a Lexus enthusiast. I think it’s just a matter of when, which is the point of this thread.
I agree. I think lots of signs point to another F sedan. I however doubt it will be 8 cylinder based. My bet is on a highly boosted V6 plus electric motors to supplement. And it will very likely be AWD to be able to fully apply the gobs of torque to the tarmac. I also guess 2026 or later.
Old 09-26-21, 05:17 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Sorry guys, I just have to ask: Let's assume Lexus releases a new IS F in 2-3 years. Let's assume it has the newly patented twin turbo V8 and produces over 600hp. Finally let's assume they improve the vehicle over the current IS500 in almost every way - new transmission, heavier steering, better handling, new chassis, heads up display, new infotainment, wireless phone charging, trackpad gone, CD player gone, ax the gloss black plastic, a place to put your sunglasses! etc etc. Let's say price is somewhere between $75k-90k.

Would you wait for all that, or stick with the tried and true NA 5L V8 of the IS500?
if you're talking three years away I would get the IS 500 now.. If an IS F did come out later and I liked it, then I would get it too. And maybe sell the 500.

Last edited by GaryJG; 09-26-21 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-26-21, 08:36 PM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

Sorry guys, I just have to ask: Let's assume Lexus releases a new IS F in 2-3 years. Let's assume it has the newly patented twin turbo V8 and produces over 600hp. Finally let's assume they improve the vehicle over the current IS500 in almost every way - new transmission, heavier steering, better handling, new chassis, heads up display, new infotainment, wireless phone charging, trackpad gone, CD player gone, ax the gloss black plastic, a place to put your sunglasses! etc etc. Let's say price is somewhere between $75k-90k.

Would you wait for all that, or stick with the tried and true NA 5L V8 of the IS500?
Like most others have mentioned, IS500 is the perfect middle ground right now. Let's say Lexus produces it for 3 years: probably will have incremental improvements yearly to attract buyers/owners to possibly upgrade like HUD, wireless charging/wireless carplay/android auto, etc. Besides some comforts, and tweaks to suspension, this is it for the 3IS chassis. I wish the 2022 version had HUD though :P
Old 09-26-21, 10:15 PM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Kandyman1
I think after you read the article below, you'll understand more about platforms and why the IS500, as is, is pretty much the end of the line on this platform and the NA V8, and why anything that may come next will be on a new global platform.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyo...19D20F98B74E7C
To add to that. The 2021 IS isn't sold in Australia because they recently updated their crash testing standards. Unfortunately, that means the IS no longer meets their safety requirements. I believe this was partly the issue for Europe as well.

Hopefully, the IS name somehow survives the current overflowing toilet of SUVs and crossovers being pumped out. It would have to be made on a new platform to meet the safety standards of other countries, allowing it to be sold globally.
Old 09-27-21, 08:40 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I think there is enough signs to point to a possible IS F in the future.
However, I'd still buy the IS500 now.

Factoring in a few items in that decision:
  1. It's actually here...well almost here...the IS F could or couldn't happen still as it's years away
  2. All three versions of the 3IS aesthetics I like, who's the say that a new IS F couldn't look like a dogs breakfast...likely not, but you never know...look at BMW and dat grill (you know the grill i mean)
  3. Price - unfortunately a new F car is out of my budget (your budget will obviously differ), but a used IS500 would price just right
  4. I'd rather not have turbos, as cool as they are...cause I don't see this V8 surviving that long to make it into a new IS F
  5. The IS500 will have a uniqueness onto itself, even though it's not an F car
  6. And for those that have the budget, get an IS500 now, and by time a new IS F launches it would be a perfect time to trade up
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (03-19-22)
Old 09-27-21, 08:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

It is puzzling why the world's biggest and most powerful automaker doesn't already have a next-gen new-gen 4IS on dealer lots right this second. (Actually right this second would be a year or two TOO late)

Other automakers march on with a new C Class, 3-Series, TLX, Tesla 3, Audi A4 etc. as normally scheduled. If anyone I would think Acura would be the dunce in the back of the class with a facelifted TLX. But nope, tiny and small Honda wowed the world and put a brand new design on the showroom floor. Acura didn't even wait. they just moved on the segment like a b.

On one hand it seems like it's a no brainer that Lexus comes out with a 4IS but on the other hand, it's kind of weird that we haven't seen a prototype. Yep I get that crossovers are the main thing right now, but they are too for all the above automakers yet they soldier on.

I hope Lexus makes a 4IS. It would send a strong message that Lexus is here competing with BMW, Audi, Mercedes and trying to keep younger buyers in the fold.
Old 09-27-21, 08:51 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I think there is enough signs to point to a possible IS F in the future.
However, I'd still buy the IS500 now.

Factoring in a few items in that decision:
  1. It's actually here...well almost here...the IS F could or couldn't happen still as it's years away - I AGREE
  2. All three versions of the 3IS aesthetics I like, who's the say that a new IS F couldn't look like a dogs breakfast...likely not, but you never know...look at BMW and dat grill (you know the grill i mean) - I suspect the new IS will be fantastic but like you, dat grill on the BMW! OMG!
  3. Price - unfortunately a new F car is out of my budget (your budget will obviously differ), but a used IS500 would price just right - That indeed my friend
  4. I'd rather not have turbos, as cool as they are...cause I don't see this V8 surviving that long to make it into a new IS F - I don't see an IS F without a turbo either
  5. The IS500 will have a uniqueness onto itself, even though it's not an F car - Yup!
  6. And for those that have the budget, get an IS500 now, and by time a new IS F launches it would be a perfect time to trade up - Always an option eh?!
See my comments embedded in Sasnuke's great point (as always)
Old 09-28-21, 12:26 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I am starting to lean towards waiting for an IS F. I like the way my IS 350 handles and wonder if adding the V8 and transmission from the F cars is really worth paying over-sticker for. If they make a proper F version it would be more interesting. But, things could change, we'll see. I am just thinking that, if I am not getting the 500 now, I will be ready for something different (from a normal IS) by the time I'm car-shopping again.
The following users liked this post:
Julianquir (09-29-21)
Old 09-30-21, 07:51 AM
Zoomzoom1
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be all in on the IS500. I am a huge fan of the exterior and I like what they did with the infotainment screen. With that being said, I just bought my 16’ 3IS last year before all this COVID crap for a good price with almost no interest. I don’t think I am ready to upgrade just yet but maybe when the IS500 is available on the used market in 3 years when I have paid off my current IS
Old 03-19-22, 01:20 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hate all the blended model branding.

I wish they would keep the F car special and not have all the in between. They are devaluing the crap out of the what should be a awesome performance brand. They have a Normal car, f sports car, f sport performance line and F. So confusing, if you don’t love Lexus you don’t even know the difference. I wish this car was an ISF. If it were I’d be looking at it. They should get back to the basics. It’s either a normal one or an F car and F cars need to be competing with M and Amg… IMO
Old 03-20-22, 01:42 AM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

Received 206 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes to both. I was fortunate to get an IS 500. I needed a new daily driver. I went to buy a 2021 RCF and it got sold an hour before I got to the dealer. I should’ve called first. I picked up a 2021 IS 350 FS DHP and loved everything about the car except the missing power. Found out an IS 500 was coming so I got on the wait list the same day I got the 350. The IS performs pretty closely to the RC, and with a functional back seat, it made more sense than searching for an RCF.

There are people who’ve waited longer than I did for my IS 500. Production delays make it a guess as to when any of you who are waiting will receive their cars. These production delays will likely delay any next-generation F cars. The world is very unpredictable and it’s been bad these past several years. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. If you’re in a position to responsibly get some experience you want, go for it.

If you want an IS 500 and can get your hands on one, get it. On your way out of the dealership, ask your sales manager to put you top of the list for the next F car.
Old 03-20-22, 02:02 AM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

Received 206 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
I wish they would keep the F car special and not have all the in between. They are devaluing the crap out of the what should be a awesome performance brand. They have a Normal car, f sports car, f sport performance line and F. So confusing, if you don’t love Lexus you don’t even know the difference. I wish this car was an ISF. If it were I’d be looking at it. They should get back to the basics. It’s either a normal one or an F car and F cars need to be competing with M and Amg… IMO
The auto industry has perfected the upsell. The Germans diluted their performance lines long ago, creating dilutions of their AMG, M, and S variants at least 20 years ago.

Im with you. I don’t like the dilution of the performance line. I also don’t like the upsells in the performance lines. Buying an F, AMG, M, etc should be enough, but they tack on an extra $10-50K or more for enhancements to their top-line performance cars, for example the M3 vs the M3 Competition. The Porsche upsells are ridiculous.