IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 08:08 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

This guy reviews the PS4S and Contis as well.

The following users liked this post:
Bechtold (04-22-23)
Old 04-21-23, 09:29 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Correct me if I’m wrong but they don’t sell the DWS06 in our size. The only Conti I see are the ExtremeContact Sport and Sport 02
I am considering the Extreme Contact Sport 02 but honestly, I've driven on the Pilot Sport 4 S before so I may just stick with what I know lol. My only gripe was the road noise.
Old 04-22-23, 07:26 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I am considering the Extreme Contact Sport 02 but honestly, I've driven on the Pilot Sport 4 S before so I may just stick with what I know lol. My only gripe was the road noise.
I'm the same way. I've been disappointed with several brands, but least of all Michelin. I have had them on 4 cars of all types (C7, ES, LS, RX) and will buy them for the IS as well. I am going to go with something that will survive in the cold though.
DLPTony (04-22-23)
Old 04-22-23, 07:46 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I'm the same way. I've been disappointed with several brands, but least of all Michelin. I have had them on 4 cars of all types (C7, ES, LS, RX) and will buy them for the IS as well. I am going to go with something that will survive in the cold though.
We get cold here in Atlanta, but only in bursts, so it’s easy to just stay home. From what I’ve seen, the Michelin PS4 A/S are pretty dang good. I have the summer’s and anything below 40 degrees is no bueno. (IMO) By the time they’re up to temp, your hands hurt from the white-knuckling. 😬😜
Old 04-22-23, 09:21 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Based on Tirerack's testing, the Continentals are better than the Michelins. I had Contis on my STI and liked them.
DLPTony (04-22-23)
Old 04-22-23, 11:09 AM
SynZero
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...I've had several iterations of Continental's Extreme Contact line up and been very pleased with them. I've heard nothing but good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport, but when I finally need new tires I'm going w/the Extreme Contact Sport 02.
DLPTony (04-22-23)
Old 04-22-23, 12:49 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Looks like in his testing, the Michelin, Bridgestone and Goodyear were the top choices.
Old 04-23-23, 05:25 AM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
We get cold here in Atlanta, but only in bursts, so it’s easy to just stay home. From what I’ve seen, the Michelin PS4 A/S are pretty dang good. I have the summer’s and anything below 40 degrees is no bueno. (IMO) By the time they’re up to temp, your hands hurt from the white-knuckling. 😬😜
Interesting that the summer PS4s are so bad in cold weather. For all their faults, the craptastic OEM summer tires are fine for normal driving in freezing weather … so long as there’s no ice or snow on the road.

(I know others will say summer tires will self destruct in cold weather but there is no way any manufacturer with a legal department would expose themselves to tire failure liability on a mass produced vehicle short of something that’s effectively a track-dedicated car).

Question - anyone have some long term feedback on the PS4 All-Seasons on our car used in very light winter conditions?
Old 04-23-23, 05:48 AM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 251 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
For all their faults, the craptastic OEM summer tires are fine for normal driving in freezing weather … so long as there’s no ice or snow on the road.
You mean the 500 summer tires it comes with? Where do you drive with those, what part of the country, that is.
Old 04-23-23, 06:23 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
Interesting that the summer PS4s are so bad in cold weather. For all their faults, the craptastic OEM summer tires are fine for normal driving in freezing weather … so long as there’s no ice or snow on the road.

(I know others will say summer tires will self destruct in cold weather but there is no way any manufacturer with a legal department would expose themselves to tire failure liability on a mass produced vehicle short of something that’s effectively a track-dedicated car).

Question - anyone have some long term feedback on the PS4 All-Seasons on our car used in very light winter conditions?
I had the PS3+ AS I think and they were great, but not in the snow. It gets cold here, but no snow. I have big problems with the stock tires in the cold which is why I'll swap them out before next Winter.
Old 04-23-23, 10:43 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

I should be getting the PS4s (Summer) tires installed next week I had the same tires on my LE. There is also a sale at Lexus $150.00 off 4-Tires installed at the dealer.
DLPTony (04-23-23)
Old 06-02-23, 05:09 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Alrighty, lets spice up this thread and get controversial. Before I begin, if you have shares in Michelin just ignore this post lol.
I live in South Florida where the lowest it gets is 40 and thats at most just 1 day out of the year. This theoretically means I can get Summer tires as my year round tire, as has been the case with the OEM Potenzas. Having said that, I'm still conflicted as far as which route to take when it comes to my tire replacement. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S retails for $1462 a set and has a 15,000 mile treadwear warranty. It's often referred to as the holy grail of summer tires without running a track tire like a Cup 2. However, the Pilot Sport All Season 4 retails for $1132 a set and has 22,500 mile treadwear warranty. So the question is this, what would you recommend that I run, considering I do not track the vehicle (although I do drive spiritedly, but legal), live in South Florida, and the PSAS4 are $350 cheaper and have a higher tread life (or warranty at least)? Objectively I think Michelin has the most gorgeous sidewall design and that alone is enough to push me to favor Michelin, but the PS4S and the PSAS4 have nearly an identical sidewall design and I have personally used neither.

Throwing a wrench into this question some more, I was also considering the Yokohama V601 and the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02. The Yoko's are great in price, are made in Japan (so keeping the car fully Japanese with the exception of the driver), but they have an ugly *** sidewall despite having a beautiful tread pattern. The Continentals are fairly new so reviews are limited for this generation, but statistics wise, they seem to be on par with the PS4S for about $180 less a set.

Looking at the stats on Discount Tire (which has a new metric showing stopping distances of a new set vs a worn set) I was surprised to see that the PSAS4 offered a much better wet stopping distance when worn than a PS4S by a whole 20ft. Unfortunately I don't have a reference point of what is good and what is bad because DT does not offer a similar metric for the OEM Potenzas. Likewise, the Yokos seem to be so low volume that they too do not have statistics of this nature.

I would love to hear real world reviews/recommendations. Please try to be as objective as possible. I know some people are inclined to say PS4S just because of their hype, but let's try to avoid going down that path lol.
Old 06-02-23, 06:45 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

I wouldn't buy all-season if I lived in southern Florida. You'll never use the cold aspect of the tire. That said, you don't need to swing all the way over to a max performance summer tire like the PS4S. You could get an ultra high performance summer tire or a high performance summer tire instead, which will wear better than the PS4S.
Old 06-02-23, 08:08 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

@TipsyTonio I am also considering the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02. It seems like a quality tire from the test results on Tire Rack. Mainly, I am a bit unsure if I want to go Michelin PS4S again because of the noise level. They weren't loud on smooth pavement, but at highway speed on concrete interstate highways they would just drone on and on, which got worse with higher speeds. They felt amazing in the corners, though, I will say... for a dedicated sports car they'd be ideal. I am still waffling on it because I know what I am getting with the PS4S, at least.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
IS500SM (06-02-23), TipsyTonio (06-02-23)
Old 06-02-23, 10:47 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

Just for clarity, 245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 rear would be the safest bet? The rolling diameter would be about .3 difference I believe so the speedo would only be off about four tenths? Someone correct if I'm wrong please
The following 2 users liked this post by Phresh2010:
808c2s (06-03-23), BrianDCIS (07-27-23)

Quick Reply: IS500 Tire choices