IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 06:45 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Hmm I’m not seeing that this tire comes in our size for the rears? Did you find them somewhere? I recently put a set of these on my GF’s car and they’re honestly great. But she does 0 spirited driving so it’s not much of a test
They sell a 275/35/19 which I think fits our cars. Speedo will be off a little, but only 1 mph slower at 90 mph. Around town and sane driving it shouldn't matter much.

I think some others did a 275 in the back and it fit fine. Plus a little more rubber contact in the rear!
Old 08-29-23, 04:49 AM
04gita
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
They sell a 275/35/19 which I think fits our cars. Speedo will be off a little, but only 1 mph slower at 90 mph. Around town and sane driving it shouldn't matter much.

I think some others did a 275 in the back and it fit fine. Plus a little more rubber contact in the rear!
I hope you're right, because I'm about to pull the trigger on winter tires, which are almost impossible to find in the OEM sizes. I'm going to do 235/40 or 245/40 in front, and 275/35 in the rear, because IIRC multiple folks here have reported that they run those larger sizes on OEM wheels with no issues.
The following users liked this post:
chartram (08-30-23)
Old 08-29-23, 05:17 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Why are you going so wide for winter tires?
Old 08-29-23, 07:52 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by 04gita
I hope you're right, because I'm about to pull the trigger on winter tires, which are almost impossible to find in the OEM sizes. I'm going to do 235/40 or 245/40 in front, and 275/35 in the rear, because IIRC multiple folks here have reported that they run those larger sizes on OEM wheels with no issues.
I'm going off an old memory so you might want to double check the forum before buying lol
Old 08-30-23, 05:04 AM
04gita
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
Why are you going so wide for winter tires?
I'm not planning on keeping this car very long, so I don't want to invest in a dedicated set of winter wheels with narrower / higher aspect tires.
Tire size options for performance winters are pretty limited, and I'm trying to stick as close to possible to the OE tire sizes.
Old 08-30-23, 06:15 AM
snowyblue
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Are there no winter tires that come in oem specs for this car? may have to just get new rims to mount some to
Old 08-30-23, 06:38 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

As many other had mentioned, in my experience, Michelin Pilot A/S 3-4 were the best all around tires I've ever had on any of my cars. Continental DWS is a decent tire as well performance wise. They are a bit fragile though, as I've gotten a bunch of them bulged quite a few times from minor potholes.

Not super excited about running summer tires all year around here in PA. Hence, I will likely be swapping for Pilot A/S 4s as soon as finances permit.

My question is who do you guys trust to put on your tires? Or do you go to the dealer for that? Additionally, I have not had any success in the past with selling even slightly used tires. It would be a shame to throw these away but I have no place to store them. What's your secret?
Old 08-30-23, 09:34 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99

My question is who do you guys trust to put on your tires? Or do you go to the dealer for that? Additionally, I have not had any success in the past with selling even slightly used tires. It would be a shame to throw these away but I have no place to store them. What's your secret?

I usually go to discount tire - they have been good in my area and have free rotations. Since this is a staggered setup (free rotations are irrelevant) I'm going to the Lexus dealer in November to do the same setup as you are looking to do. They'll price match and I know they'll make it right if something happens to a rim.
Old 08-30-23, 09:35 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by jsch222
I usually go to discount tire - they have been good in my area and have free rotations. Since this is a staggered setup (free rotations are irrelevant) I'm going to the Lexus dealer in November to do the same setup as you are looking to do. They'll price match and I know they'll make it right if something happens to a rim.
I second Discount Tire. I ask them to use the touch free automated machine and they abide. Also, while we don’t benefit from the rotations, I do take my car every 5k to balance them also for free.
Old 08-30-23, 09:36 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I second Discount Tire. I ask them to use the touch free automated machine and they abide. Also, while we don’t benefit from the rotations, I do take my car every 5k to balance them also for free.
Solid point on balances. Something to consider for sure.
Old 08-30-23, 09:50 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Hmm, touch free auto machine... must be something new. No Discount Tire by me, but there are a few Mavis locations close by. Maybe I'll ask them if they have one of those machines. I suppose I can always go to a Lexus dealer for that and pay x3 if I'm feeling extra paranoid that day.

By dealer price matching, did you mean they will match TireRack prices or install fees? I have 1k service coming up in a bit, maybe I can get them to discount install for me since selling my car was probably least bit of work for my sales guy ever. I basically walked thru the the door and said... I'll take it. Actually, let me email him.

Last edited by DeepBlue99; 08-30-23 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-30-23, 10:30 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99
As many other had mentioned, in my experience, Michelin Pilot A/S 3-4 were the best all around tires I've ever had on any of my cars. Continental DWS is a decent tire as well performance wise. They are a bit fragile though, as I've gotten a bunch of them bulged quite a few times from minor potholes.

Not super excited about running summer tires all year around here in PA. Hence, I will likely be swapping for Pilot A/S 4s as soon as finances permit.

My dealer charges me to remove the tires and take them to a tire shop 🤣 So they don't do my tires.

I've used several local places, all were mostly OK. Costco has the best warranty, but they smudged one of my C7 wheels and refused to fix it.
Old 08-30-23, 11:19 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

I personally love the ML I’m in the younger crowd (under 30) so I listen to loud music. The door rattles from
the base tho, that can be improved.
Old 08-30-23, 11:24 AM
chartram
Driver School Candidate

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting thread. A lot of Michelin PS fans I see. This many people swearing by them says a lot.

My IS500 has less than 400mi on it, so a LONG time before worrying about changing tires. But I will say after a 50 mile trip down some backroads (central Georgia), I wasn’t very impressed with these Potenza S001L’s. Even less impressed when it started raining!

On my 08’ IS250 & 19’ IS300 I always swore by Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S’s. For me, they worked perfectly… a ‘little’ noisy after 10-15k miles, but overall a very smooth ride with damned near identical grip in dry and wet. Always felt pretty glued to the road, never once came loose in the twisties even when pushing hard. Of course a little V6 and turbo 4 are not the same, but handling wise I think the ADVANs are awesome.

I plan to keep the 500 long enough to go thru several sets of tires. Has anyone else tried the ADVAN A/S as a daily/spirited driving option?
Old 08-30-23, 02:49 PM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,164 Likes on 345 Posts

I just got my Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (Summer Tires) Installed at my local Lexus dealer today. This is my 3rd set & ran them on my previous 2 IS500's. There is also a sale a $70.00 Mail-In-Rebate through Michelin plus I got another $150.00 off from the Lexus dealer using the dealer savings coupon.

Quick Reply: IS500 Tire choices