IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-23, 11:36 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Ugh... So, now Discount Tire is saying that they were unable to secure front tires for my order from Michelin, which they initially told me they were able to do. There is a national backorder for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's in 235/35/19 until Nov 3rd (!!!).

Called TireRack, same deal. The rep I spoke with over there did mention Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus as a great alternative.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Only issue is that fronts and rears have a different speed rating. Fronts are W's and rears are Y's. Otherwise, Continental's seems to be better rated and at least as well reviewed as Michelins.

On its face, I don't think the speed rating is a huge concern, as I doubt I will be spending much time in the high 100mph range. However, I believe that different speed rating does entail different construction, hence not ideal.

On the other hand, neither is waiting until Nov 3rd for Michelin to get the $#^@ together. It seems like vast majority of responders on this thread are rocking A/S 4's. Never even occurred to me to have a backup option ready.

What do you guys think?
The following users liked this post:
TaiTN (10-06-23)
Old 09-23-23, 11:41 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

If you're happy with the Continentals, I wouldn't let the different speed ratings affect your decision.
Old 09-23-23, 11:51 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
If you're happy with the Continentals, I wouldn't let the different speed ratings affect your decision.
Honestly, I don't think I fully understand the implications. On its face, I don't really worry about exceeding 168mph.

Many articles like this one make speed rating mixing sound like a generally bad idea... https://www.velocityrider.com/mixing...speed-ratings/

Last edited by DeepBlue99; 09-23-23 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-23-23, 11:52 AM
jjk26
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have used those continentals on my older is350 and been happy with them
Old 09-23-23, 02:21 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99
What do you guys think?
A lot of people love the Conti's, but I'm leaning toward the Pirelli as a back up. I had some P Zeros on my old Firebird and they were amazing. They wore evenly, had great traction, and kept that traction until they were dead and replaced. I was very happy with them as a youngster. Ride quality and noise were 0/10 on my priority list at that age in a lowered F body though lol
Old 09-23-23, 02:36 PM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95bat
A lot of people love the Conti's, but I'm leaning toward the Pirelli as a back up. I had some P Zeros on my old Firebird and they were amazing. They wore evenly, had great traction, and kept that traction until they were dead and replaced. I was very happy with them as a youngster. Ride quality and noise were 0/10 on my priority list at that age in a lowered F body though lol
I had a few sets of Continental DWS's on my past cars. Pretty decent tires overall. A bit soft, I thought. But, more importantly, they were rather fragile in my experience. Several had to be replaced due to developing side bulges from minor potholes.

This whole Michelin situation is a bit ridiculous... a national tire shortage. I'm hoping its not an indication that tires in our sizes are a pain in *** to procure.
Old 09-24-23, 09:16 AM
teatime031
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh... So, now Discount Tire is saying that they were unable to secure front tires for my order from Michelin, which they initially told me they were able to do. There is a national backorder for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's in 235/35/19 until Nov 3rd (!!!).

Called TireRack, same deal. The rep I spoke with over there did mention Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus as a great alternative.

Only issue is that fronts and rears have a different speed rating. Fronts are W's and rears are Y's. Otherwise, Continental's seems to be better rated and at least as well reviewed as Michelins.

On its face, I don't think the speed rating is a huge concern, as I doubt I will be spending much time in the high 100mph range. However, I believe that different speed rating does entail different construction, hence not ideal.

On the other hand, neither is waiting until Nov 3rd for Michelin to get the $#^@ together. It seems like vast majority of responders on this thread are rocking A/S 4's. Never even occurred to me to have a backup option ready.

What do you guys think?
Wow that's crazy. Literally got the AS4s last week from Discount Tire. If it matters at all, I'm 100% happy with them. Drove them in the rain and they grip well.
Old 09-24-23, 09:31 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by teatime031
Wow that's crazy. Literally got the AS4s last week from Discount Tire. If it matters at all, I'm 100% happy with them. Drove them in the rain and they grip well.
Yeah... that + ∞ of great reviews that I've seen for those + my own experience with 3+'s makes me very unwilling to go with anything else. I might have to rough it out for a month until they are back in stock.
Old 10-06-23, 07:10 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Yeah... that + ∞ of great reviews that I've seen for those + my own experience with 3+'s makes me very unwilling to go with anything else. I might have to rough it out for a month until they are back in stock.
Quick update.

I did managed to get 2 front tires from Tirerack and already installed by my Lexus dealer. They only charged $129 for the install which is pretty reasonable. Tirerack is still showing front tires out of stock until Nov 3rd but I did notice a blip the other day, called in and it seems like they had a small shipment of 7 tires coming in on west coast. Got 2 out of those.

If you are in the same boat... keep checking online and keep calling them. In meantime, might be a good idea to buy 2 rear tires as they are running low as well.

Last edited by DeepBlue99; 10-06-23 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-06-23, 02:01 PM
TaiTN
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you guys think?
I had DW6 06 on my Q50 after replacing the run-flats that came with it. I got about 35k miles out of them and will definitely use them again when I get my IS500. Quiet ride and wonderful performance especially in rain. I never felt lost of control speeding into standing water on the highway. When it snowed I parked my *** at home so can't really comment on how well they perform in that situation.
Old 10-06-23, 02:41 PM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TaiTN
I had DW6 06 on my Q50 after replacing the run-flats that came with it. I got about 35k miles out of them and will definitely use them again when I get my IS500. Quiet ride and wonderful performance especially in rain. I never felt lost of control speeding into standing water on the highway. When it snowed I parked my *** at home so can't really comment on how well they perform in that situation.
Good tire. However, if you intend to keep the staggered setup on the IS 500 vs going same size all around, you will end up with different speed ratings front to back which may or may not be a problem depending on who you ask.
The following users liked this post:
TaiTN (10-06-23)
Old 02-21-24, 03:33 PM
DonewithGM
Driver School Candidate

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I just put brand new pilot sport 4 tires on the 500 today from the stock bridge stones, I tried to make it work, tried to tell myself "just drive it until its bald" but after having my car feel like it wanted to kill me and send my car sideways from 20 mph or just have the traction control go bat **** crazy I snagged a set today and I will say you will have little to no issues. It really does feel like a new car and I feel like I can drive it and get to use every single HP from lower speeds with confidence. Not a fan of spending that kind of money but just for anybody holding back on pulling the trigger I would say do it. I live in TX so the heat is already coming back. If you live some place else with nasty weather you might want to open up to other options.
The following 4 users liked this post by DonewithGM:
Atav25 (02-22-24), DLPTony (02-22-24), HydrantHunter (02-23-24), TCM55 (02-22-24)
Old 02-21-24, 05:45 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by DonewithGM
Well I just put brand new pilot sport 4 tires on the 500 today from the stock bridge stones, I tried to make it work, tried to tell myself "just drive it until its bald" but after having my car feel like it wanted to kill me and send my car sideways from 20 mph or just have the traction control go bat **** crazy I snagged a set today and I will say you will have little to no issues. It really does feel like a new car and I feel like I can drive it and get to use every single HP from lower speeds with confidence. Not a fan of spending that kind of money but just for anybody holding back on pulling the trigger I would say do it. I live in TX so the heat is already coming back. If you live some place else with nasty weather you might want to open up to other options.
Nice, great to hear!

I'm Mr. Indecisive and still on factory tires. I swore I'd replace them before winter, but I survived. I still like the new Pirelli all season tires, might give them a try.
Old 02-21-24, 06:09 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Nice, great to hear!

I'm Mr. Indecisive and still on factory tires. I swore I'd replace them before winter, but I survived. I still like the new Pirelli all season tires, might give them a try.
Those seem like a really good option.
Old 02-21-24, 07:41 PM
Bechtold
Advanced

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Nice, great to hear!

I'd recommend against Pirelli. The quality has not been there, especially since they were purchased by a group of mostly Chinese businesses. I'd recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 if you want to go for an all season tire.
I have the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 Plus on my wife's 2013 IS 350 and find it is just a little off the old Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3+ we had prior to that in ultimate performance.
I'm still on the factory tires and they give my pause from time to time, but I will likely go for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S unless the "5" comes out when I actually pull the trigger.

Quick Reply: IS500 Tire choices