IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-24, 02:16 PM
G30540i
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I still need to take my car up to the mountains and put the ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires to the test. In daily driving, so far, so good!

I would say the main things that drew me to this tire over the Michelin PS4S were the price and the possibility that it would be quieter than the Michelin. Most reviews I've seen have rated the tire as comparable to the Michelin in terms of performance, just with a bit of a different personality. I think the Continental is a little more relaxed to drive, but it still feels sporty. It's an upgrade over the OE Bridgestone, to be sure. I think it's also a bit softer riding than the Michelin while still being firmer than the OE tire. Steering feels more reactive, too, and I feel adjusting the car's angle while in a corner is where this shines the most. In the case of the Bridgestone, steering adjustments mid-corner felt a little vague and delayed, whereas with the Conti, I get feedback from the car immediately as I adjust the steering angle. That's probably my favorite thing about the tire. Oh, and the steering, to me, at least, seems slightly heavier than with the PS4S, though it has been a while. I just seem to remember the PS4S having somewhat light steering. Anyway, I like them! Hopefully they last a while and hold up on the mountain roads.
Are the Conti's noticeably quieter than the PS4S on the IS500? I found the stock tires to be very loud on rough pavement. I've heard the PS4S are about the same...
Old 05-28-24, 02:38 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by G30540i
Are the Conti's noticeably quieter than the PS4S on the IS500? I found the stock tires to be very loud on rough pavement. I've heard the PS4S are about the same...
I would say the Contis have a different tone than the Michelins, but it's hard to say for sure which is louder without experiencing them back to back. I need to meet up with @DLPTony and figure that out. lol!

From what I remember, the Michelins were just slightly louder. Not a huge deal. But I think the tone they made over the road was more noticeable as well.
The following users liked this post:
G30540i (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24, 06:50 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

I would say the Contis have a different tone than the Michelins, but it's hard to say for sure which is louder without experiencing them back to back. I need to meet up with @DLPTony and figure that out. lol!

From what I remember, the Michelins were just slightly louder. Not a huge deal. But I think the tone they made over the road was more noticeable as well.

I think the Michelins are a little louder at speeds of 80+ mph than the Bridgestones. (That’s cruising speed for everyone here. &#128526 But the performance of the PS4S’ can’t be matched. We have the Conti extremes (All Season) on a ‘04 Infiniti G35 coupe and they’re pretty good.
Old 05-29-24, 07:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by DLPTony
I think the Michelins are a little louder at speeds of 80+ mph than the Bridgestones. (That’s cruising speed for everyone here. &#128526 But the performance of the PS4S’ can’t be matched. We have the Conti extremes (All Season) on a ‘04 Infiniti G35 coupe and they’re pretty good.
Yeah I did feel like I was pushing to keep up with y'all last time, but in my defense, I also was running on little sleep and not driving that great. I really need to get back out there and learn the roads better. And also, my alignment was pretty bad, which may have been throwing off the handling somewhat. It felt so much better afterwards.

But anyway, I do like the way the Michelins dive into corners. The Contis are not far off, but they are somewhat more relaxed, which makes them better for dailying IMO.
Old 05-29-24, 08:02 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

We've had consistent mid 80 degree weather up until today. The stock Bridgestones are feeling better but they're still not good.
Old 05-29-24, 08:08 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by LH1
We've had consistent mid 80 degree weather up until today. The stock Bridgestones are feeling better but they're still not good.
They love warm weather, but the Contis just put the power down SO much better. The car feels faster because TC isn't kicking in as much in the lower gears. The Bridgestones always had decent feel, but they just aren't up to par with newer summer tires when it comes to outright grip.
Old 05-29-24, 11:51 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Yeah I did feel like I was pushing to keep up with y'all last time, but in my defense, I also was running on little sleep and not driving that great. I really need to get back out there and learn the roads better. And also, my alignment was pretty bad, which may have been throwing off the handling somewhat. It felt so much better afterwards.
OH!! Point of clarification… I was saying the Bridgestones weren’t a match for the Michelins, the Contis are quite good. I blow through tires every 15 months, so I could grab some and test it out. (It’s not like I’ll be stuck with them for long.) 😈

You did quite well, Charley is just crazy and reckless. None of us were close to him. 😎
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (05-29-24)