IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-24 | 10:39 AM
wadman55
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DLPTony
If you’re just cruising, the OEMs are perfectly fine. However…if you’re remotely an aggressive driver, they’ll break traction super easily. Those tires suck ***, plain and simple.

I’d say they’re super NOT great. 😎
Originally Posted by 95bat
I will never buy Bridgestone tires again... I have had 2 sets in the past and hated both of them. Noisy, rough riding tires in my experience.

You can drive summer tires year round, but it's just a little dangerous. I spent a couple years on Pilot Super Sport tires with the C7 and survived just fine. The car could break traction on command at any legal speed when it was cold, just had to be easy on the gas. I ended up replacing them with Michelin AS 3+ tires when they wore out and never looked back. I didn't notice a loss of dry traction, definite improvement in wet and cold traction, and they didn't fling rocks every where from being so damn sticky.

When the tires need to be replaced on my future IS 500 I will replace them with whatever Michelin AS tires are best at the time.
Had Brickstones on my bike in 83 bout killed me in a high speed corner , swapped to Dunlops problem solved , but they were so sticky which was great playing in the corners but damn they picked up cig butts and crap literally stuck to the tires
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24 | 10:43 AM
wadman55
Pit Crew

If you’re just cruising, the OEMs are perfectly fine. However…if you’re remotely an aggressive driver, they’ll break traction super easily. Those tires suck ***, plain and simple.

I’d say they’re super NOT great. 😎
I get my incognito in a few weeks, drive it mildly for the first 1000 then I guess I'm in trouble or spending 💰 on tires , live in Sacramento so no snow but we do get to freezing temps occasionally
Old 09-05-24 | 10:45 AM
wadman55
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wadman55
I get my incognito in a few weeks, drive it mildly for the first 1000 then I guess I'm in trouble or spending 💰 on tires , live in Sacramento so no snow but we do get to freezing temps occasionally
And yes even at 69 still drive aggressively at times
So I've been told, wife , kids but I don't see it that way, everybody else just drives stupidly or slow
😂
HighRevs (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24 | 10:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Here in the ATL metro, we get below-freezing temps in the winter sometimes, but I just don't drive my IS 500 on those days. I work from home, and we have two vehicles in the house. So, on the rare chance that I HAVE to drive, I can manage. Not sure about your situation. But, I've gotten away with running only summer tires on my IS 350 and IS 500 and had no issues. We run all-seasons on the X3.
HighRevs (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24 | 12:52 PM
jororo
Advanced

Originally Posted by arentz07
Here in the ATL metro, we get below-freezing temps in the winter sometimes, but I just don't drive my IS 500 on those days. I work from home, and we have two vehicles in the house. So, on the rare chance that I HAVE to drive, I can manage. Not sure about your situation. But, I've gotten away with running only summer tires on my IS 350 and IS 500 and had no issues. We run all-seasons on the X3.
Same experience here. Winter temps where I’m at stay sub 40 F for ~3 months straight and have had zero issues using the 500 as a daily driver with the OEM summer tires so long as the roads are otherwise clear. Have also done multiple winter road trips on the OEM summer tires in sub 40 weather with no issues.

I am glad my front OEMs are finally worn out because, let’s be honest, they’re trash for summer tires. And I will be replacing them with all-seasons, but only to help increase the traction in very light snow and slushy conditions.

But if I were still in Texas (or Atlanta) type winters I wouldn’t think twice about using the OEM summer tires in winter so long as there wasn’t ice on the roads or snow in the forecast.
Old 09-05-24 | 01:14 PM
jororo
Advanced

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
Doesn't the manual say that the OEM tires aren't for cold weather? That is all legal needs. Cars come from the factory with even stickier tires that are even worse in winter. It's not a problem from a legal perspective.

Driving summer tires in cold weather can also damage the tire.
As someone with a JD if the tires were known to fail in cold weather then the legal dept would require far, far more CYA than a sentence or two buried in a 500 page owners manual. In my line of work we have fight it out endlessly with legal departments just to get contract clauses approved that are 1/10,000th as risky as that situation, much less to get approved a known inherent weakness in our product.

Zero chance Toyota/Lexus is permitting (creating?) such a readily apparent and exceedingly dangerous situation to exist. If so they would, at the least, have included a repeated warning similar to what you get when your navigation turns on. Just imagine how berserk class action litigators would go if this were actually true. The warning of imminent tire failure would need to be crazy obvious to offer any protection.

Again, my guess is our OEM summer tires are compounded to, at the least, not fail in cold weather like some other summer tires might.
Old 09-05-24 | 01:20 PM
wadman55
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arentz07
​​​​​​Kinda Unfortunately that the 500 will be my daily
my other car is my 66 Nova , it never sees winter
but that just means I get to drive it a lot 😁

HighRevs (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24 | 01:25 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Had Brickstones on my bike in 83 bout killed me in a high speed corner , swapped to Dunlops problem solved , but they were so sticky which was great playing in the corners but damn they picked up cig butts and crap literally stuck to the tires
Brickstones…perfect. 😂

There is no pebble or small stone that’s not friendly with the PS4S’. Since I rarely listen to the radio and have my windows down, I can hear the ‘click, click, click’ in the parking garage. Drives me insane and every day I run a towel over the tread to clear them.

Small price to pay for the performance. 🥰
Old 09-05-24 | 01:59 PM
LH1
Instructor

I'm tempted to do the winter/summer tire swap like I did on my G37 but it gets old.

It would be nice to experience the handling difference with PS5S' for example whenever they come in the correct size.
DLPTony (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24 | 02:08 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LH1
It would be nice to experience the handling difference with PS5S' for example whenever they come in the correct size.
No. Freaking. Kidding.

I was ready to hand over my wallet when they were first announced. Imagine my disappointment when I was told our OEM sizes were too small at the moment. 🙄
Old 09-05-24 | 02:10 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Brickstones…perfect. 😂

There is no pebble or small stone that’s not friendly with the PS4S’. Since I rarely listen to the radio and have my windows down, I can hear the ‘click, click, click’ in the parking garage. Drives me insane and every day I run a towel over the tread to clear them.

Small price to pay for the performance. 🥰
I have some extra tire wear on the passenger side front tire on the very outside from the understeer that has happened more than once when making a quick left turn. Bridgestone makes good tires, they never seem to put their good ones in any OEM configuration. Subaru got the infamous Bridgestone RE92 which sucked in any and all circumstances. The same class Continental was cheaper from the tire rack and superior in all conditions. I have had Bridgestone RE-71R's on my Supra and they were fantastic. When the Yokohama A052's are done I will likely replace them with the Bridgestone RE-71RS. Lexus continues the tradition of weak-sauce Bridgestone tires I have experienced. Why they don't do a good one or put a Michelin on these cars when they do that on all the other V8 F cars and offer an option on the LC.
DLPTony (09-06-24)
Old 09-05-24 | 03:09 PM
wadman55
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LH1
I'm tempted to do the winter/summer tire swap like I did on my G37 but it gets old.

Too damn old to do that every winter , but being retired I don't have to go out
Had high hp cars in the past 454 LS6 500 +HP and didn't kill myself as my daily then but that was 1973 19 yrs old a long time ago
At least no snow in Sacramento
DLPTony (09-06-24)
Old 09-05-24 | 03:10 PM
wadman55
Pit Crew

No. Freaking. Kidding.

I was ready to hand over my wallet when they were first announced. Imagine my disappointment when I was told our OEM sizes were too small at the moment. 🙄
Too small ?
DLPTony (09-06-24)
Old 09-05-24 | 09:53 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Originally Posted by jororo
As someone with a JD if the tires were known to fail in cold weather then the legal dept would require far, far more CYA than a sentence or two buried in a 500 page owners manual. In my line of work we have fight it out endlessly with legal departments just to get contract clauses approved that are 1/10,000th as risky as that situation, much less to get approved a known inherent weakness in our product.

Zero chance Toyota/Lexus is permitting (creating?) such a readily apparent and exceedingly dangerous situation to exist. If so they would, at the least, have included a repeated warning similar to what you get when your navigation turns on. Just imagine how berserk class action litigators would go if this were actually true. The warning of imminent tire failure would need to be crazy obvious to offer any protection.

Again, my guess is our OEM summer tires are compounded to, at the least, not fail in cold weather like some other summer tires might.
I'm a practicing lawyer. They don't need more CYA. The IS500 is marketed as a performance car, with its tires specifically referred to as summer tires. They don't need more than that. They don't need big warning labels, much less active warnings, to tell people that driving summer tires in non-summer conditions is a bad idea. The cars that come with borderline race tires don't have the kinds of warnings you think Lexus needs to avoid litigation. At some point courts expect people to not be stupid and to do their own due diligence. An IS500 owner who crashes their car because they drive on the stock tires in winter weather isn't gonna get a lot of sympathy.

Edit: I'll add that I think the IS has a little message that pops up when the temp is 3 degrees (Celsius) or lower that says something like "roads may be icy". So if that, combined with the fact the tires are described as summer tires, isn't enough, I can't see a court saying Lexus has to do anything more. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Last edited by AmbyBomb; 09-05-24 at 10:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AmbyBomb:
DLPTony (09-06-24), HighRevs (09-06-24)
Old 09-06-24 | 03:54 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
Edit: I'll add that I think the IS has a little message that pops up when the temp is 3 degrees (Celsius) or lower that says something like "roads may be icy". So if that, combined with the fact the tires are described as summer tires, isn't enough, I can't see a court saying Lexus has to do anything more. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
Yep it does and I agree 100%.

Too small ?
Unfortunately. The smallest size available for the PS5 summers are 275s.

Quick Reply: IS500 Tire choices