IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-24, 06:42 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,341 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
Again, my guess is our OEM summer tires are compounded to, at the least, not fail in cold weather like some other summer tires might.
This is what they've done and why there is no sub-40 degree warning. The tires will be fine in the cold and it is most likely why they're so far behind other summer tires in warm/wet performance. Plus they suck
Old 09-06-24, 07:09 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't understand why Lexus couldn't put good Bridgestones (they do exist lol) from the factory?

How about Yokohama Advan Sport All Season tires if it had to be a Japanese tire company? Then they can avoid the whole cold weather safety debate surrounding the OEM tires.
Old 09-06-24, 07:27 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by LH1
I don't understand why Lexus couldn't put good Bridgestones (they do exist lol) from the factory?

How about Yokohama Advan Sport All Season tires if it had to be a Japanese tire company? Then they can avoid the whole cold weather safety debate surrounding the OEM tires.
I don't get it either... our RX 500h came with Brisgestone tires and they're actually great. Quiet, comfortable, and pretty good grip too.
Old 09-06-24, 07:37 AM
wadman55
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianDCIS
I have worked for both Lexus and BMW. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires are arguably the best Max Performance Summer Tire available, in EVERY category. Their reviews are stellar, and are even BETTER than the Pilot Super Sport tires. I am getting a new set for my IS300 this spring! PHEnomenal tires. And these would be perfect for the IS500.
What about in the wet , I live in Sacramento and no snow to deal with but concerned about my 24 that I will have in a few weeks , with winter coming on
Old 09-06-24, 07:48 AM
wadman55
Driver

Originally Posted by LH1

I've been looking at the Advins , got a connection at a tire shop I delt with a lot prior to my retirement from Toyota and they've always done me right , anybody run these tires ?
I live in Sacramento and don't have snow to deal with and want good grip on wet and dry
Seems like everyone is pushing all season due to where they live and conditions
Old 09-06-24, 08:11 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,958 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Advan Sport A/S arent as high performance as Michelin PS4S, but they're 20% cheaper and have a 40% better warranty (30k miles vs 55k miles). If you don't need all out performance and your roads are terrible then Yokohama is the better choice. You'll basically get nearly free tires the next time if the tread wears prematurely.
Old 09-06-24, 08:18 AM
wadman55
Driver

Originally Posted by wadman55
Too damn old to do that every winter , but being retired I don't have to go out
Had high hp cars in the past 454 LS6 500 +HP and didn't kill myself as my daily then but that was 1973 19 yrs old a long time ago
At least no snow in Sacramento
And doubt my ***** are as big now at 70 as they were at 19 🤣
The following 2 users liked this post by wadman55:
HighRevs (09-06-24), Vindahawk4 (09-06-24)
Old 09-06-24, 08:21 AM
wadman55
Driver

Originally Posted by macmaster
Advan Sport A/S arent as high performance as Michelin PS4S, but they're 20% cheaper and have a 40% better warranty (30k miles vs 55k miles). If you don't need all out performance and your roads are terrible then Yokohama is the better choice. You'll basically get nearly free tires the next time if the tread wears prematurely.
Don't plan on playing road racer ( much) especially in the winter weather trying to avoid the summer / winter tire swaps
Old 09-06-24, 08:22 AM
wadman55
Driver

Don't plan on playing road racer ( much) especially in the winter weather trying to avoid the summer / winter tire swaps
Terrible roads ?
Old 09-06-24, 10:53 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,014 Likes on 1,859 Posts

What about in the wet , I live in Sacramento and no snow to deal with but concerned about my 24 that I will have in a few weeks , with winter coming on
I really like this guy’s methodology of testing. Maybe he can help you decide. (He has other reviews specifically targeting the seasons as well.)

Last edited by DLPTony; 09-06-24 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-06-24, 11:16 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 922 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
This is what they've done and why there is no sub-40 degree warning. The tires will be fine in the cold and it is most likely why they're so far behind other summer tires in warm/wet performance. Plus they suck
Guys, Bridgestone itself is not classifying these tires as max performance summer tires when they're actually some type of all-season tire. Tirerack expressly says they shouldn't be used in near freezing temperatures. There isn't some grand conspiracy to hide the true nature of these tires. If you want to drive them in near freezing temps, knock yourself out, but rationalize it by trying to claim they're not max performance summer tires.
Old 09-06-24, 12:48 PM
Vindahawk4
Driver School Candidate

Received 66 Likes on 15 Posts

I want Michelin PS5's.................
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (09-06-24)
Old 09-06-24, 01:11 PM
95bat
Racer

And doubt my ***** are as big now at 70 as they were at 19 🤣
Same here lol much more mellow now, and that is saying something!
Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
Guys, Bridgestone itself is not classifying these tires as max performance summer tires when they're actually some type of all-season tire. Tirerack expressly says they shouldn't be used in near freezing temperatures. There isn't some grand conspiracy to hide the true nature of these tires. If you want to drive them in near freezing temps, knock yourself out, but rationalize it by trying to claim they're not max performance summer tires.
All I did was look up the tire on Bridgestone's website to see there is no sub-40 degree warning. Then used logic to figure out if the tire does not have the warning then the compound is capable of handling cold weather. There are zero other possibilities so it's not a hard conclusion to reach. It isn't a grand conspiracy, I have no frickin clue how you've blown things that far out of proportion.
Carolina50 (09-06-24)
Old 09-06-24, 02:01 PM
wadman55
Driver

Originally Posted by LH1

Watched a video comparison of tires , depending how Aggressive your needs are Michelin PS4S
for the $, wet /dry etc on the Goodyear Exhilarate he spoke highly in and seems to be the best bang for the buck, I drive aggressively I guess , safely
and don't plan on playing canyon racer , just blast around and enjoy the ride , and like Lotto says
"a little play can make you're day"
95bat (09-06-24)
Old 09-06-24, 03:19 PM
wadman55
Driver

Originally Posted by LH1

Watched a video comparison of tires , depending how Aggressive your needs are Michelin PS4S
for the $, wet /dry etc on the Goodyear Exhilarate he spoke highly in and seems to be the best bang for the buck, I drive aggressively I guess , safely
and don't plan on playing canyon racer , just blast around and enjoy the ride , and like Lotto says
"a little play can make you're day"

Quick Reply: IS500 Tire choices