IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-24, 03:23 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,014 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by Vindahawk4
I want Michelin PS5's.................
You and me both!

I even lobbied the Michelin account on IG.🤭😜 I’m like, dudes, I’m an every 15 month sure thing! For the love of Lexus, make the gotdern tires smaller.
Old 09-06-24, 04:12 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 922 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Same here lol much more mellow now, and that is saying something!

All I did was look up the tire on Bridgestone's website to see there is no sub-40 degree warning. Then used logic to figure out if the tire does not have the warning then the compound is capable of handling cold weather. There are zero other possibilities so it's not a hard conclusion to reach. It isn't a grand conspiracy, I have no frickin clue how you've blown things that far out of proportion.
Look at Tirerack. Warning is there.
Old 09-06-24, 04:14 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,341 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
Look at Tirerack. Warning is there.
I trust the people who make the tire over the people who sell the tire.
Old 09-06-24, 04:23 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95bat
I trust the people who make the tire over the people who sell the tire.
The actual OEM tire doesn't seem to even be listed on the Canadian site. Is it called a maximum performance summer tire?
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 818 Likes on 340 Posts

After all this discussion, and thanks to all for their input, I think I'm going to put the PS A/S 4 on mine to give me peace of mind that if I have to take it out during sub-freezing temps I don't risk tire damage. We have long winters here, and if you want to drive a RWD car in the winter you're going to have to deal with cold temperatures (will try to dodge the snow /ice as much as possible but knowing the A/S tire can handle light snow in a pinch is re-assuring). Also, from what I've read, the A/S Michelins' outperform the OEM bridgestones in hot sticky weather, and maybe achieving 80% of the performance that the true summer PS4S tire gives you. I'm not going to track this car or drive like a maniac in the summer. I'm not too worried about accelerated treadwear with all season tires since my winter driving time will be limited. The other option - buy dedicted summer and winter tires , I just can't rationalize for the few times I'll be taking the IS500 out in the winter. Plus, the hassle of swapping the tires every November and April.

From what I've read, the A/S 4 is still considered a high performance tire, just with some (limited) winter capability. It's not a good choice as an all season tire for persistent, heavy winter conditions, like the Michelin Crossclimate2 for example - this seems like a great all season tire , but more of a grand touring tire rather than performance, and wouldn't recommend a tire like this for the IS500.

Last edited by TGPCanada; Yesterday at 05:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (Today)
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

I have the CrossClimates on a Jetta TDI, and they're ideal for a car like that. Their winter performance is very good so I don't have to swap to full blown winters here in Alberta until December or so. By contrast, I put the winter tires on my IS500 in October.
TGPCanada (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,341 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
After all this discussion, and thanks to all for their input, I think I'm going to put the PS A/S 4 on mine to give me peace of mind that if I have to take it out during sub-freezing temps I don't risk tire damage. We have long winters here, and if you want to drive a RWD car in the winter you're going to have to deal with cold temperatures (will try to dodge the snow /ice as much as possible but knowing the A/S tire can handle light snow in a pinch is re-assuring). Also, from what I've read, the A/S Michelins' outperform the OEM bridgestones in hot sticky weather, and maybe achieving 80% of the performance that the true summer PS4S tire gives you. I'm not going to track this car or drive like a maniac in the summer. I'm not too worried about accelerated treadwear with all season tires since my winter driving time will be limited. The other option - buy dedicted summer and winter tires , I just can't rationalize for the few times I'll be taking the IS500 out in the winter. Plus, the hassle of swapping the tires every November and April.

From what I've read, the A/S 4 is still considered a high performance tire, just with some (limited) winter capability. It's not a good choice as an all season tire for persistent, heavy winter conditions, like the Michelin Crossclimate2 for example - this seems like a great all season tire , but more of a grand touring tire rather than performance, and wouldn't recommend a tire like this for the IS500.
I went with the AS 4 and I am very happy with them. Dry traction is as good or better than OEM and every other category is better than OEM.
TGPCanada (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 818 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
I have the CrossClimates on a Jetta TDI, and they're ideal for a car like that. Their winter performance is very good so I don't have to swap to full blown winters here in Alberta until December or so. By contrast, I put the winter tires on my IS500 in October.
Good to know because Ontario winters can't hold a candle to Alberta winters. So Crossclimates it is for my wife's car.
DLPTony (Today)