IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 - CEL problem and update

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 06:10 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ I would even argue it would be greater than 50% when we consider the fact that not all IS 500 owners are forum members. I am 99% sure mine, based on the fact it would have been built in December to be arriving here at the dealer in early to mid-Feb wouldn't have had the issue addressed at the assembly plant because these started popping out in mid Jan or so.
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Brandonfu (01-30-22), DLPTony (01-31-22), Vitveet (01-31-22)
Old 01-30-22, 07:31 PM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

Same P013A code I just pulled.
Old 01-30-22, 07:52 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Compromise

Same P013A code I just pulled.
Yes seems to keep pointing to the LH side.

Would be interesting to know of all those reporting the CEL, what the production months are..

Long shot that all cars having the issue are impacted by this “TBD” issue, during the same assembly month / time frame..

Although now that I think about it, I suspect most on the ground now will say 11/21 on the door jamb VIN plate.

It does not break it down by weeks for public to see, but for sure Corporate can determine if these issue will be VIN targeted..

Joe Z
Old 01-30-22, 10:47 PM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

Received 206 Likes on 80 Posts

On a bright note, I passed 1000 miles today VIN 1614 IR/White still trouble-free.

On a humorous note, we need to let Mr. Toyoda know that when we wanted them to compete with the European makers, we didn’t mean that we wanted problematic cars.
The following 7 users liked this post by AJinDFW:
Carolina50 (01-31-22), DLPTony (01-31-22), Kanpai (01-31-22), Moonman89 (01-31-22), TipsyTonio (01-31-22), Vitveet (01-31-22), wthrman2 (01-31-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-22, 02:33 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by AJinDFW
On a humorous note, we need to let Mr. Toyoda know that when we wanted them to compete with the European makers, we didn’t mean that we wanted problematic cars.
LOL! #TooSoonBro
Old 01-31-22, 02:38 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ I would even argue it would be greater than 50% when we consider the fact that not all IS 500 owners are forum members. I am 99% sure mine, based on the fact it would have been built in December to be arriving here at the dealer in early to mid-Feb wouldn't have had the issue addressed at the assembly plant because these started popping out in mid Jan or so.
I said yesterday this whole situation, in the end, could work out for me. Yeah it’ll be forever before I can get my spec, but it’s highly probable these issues will be worked out by then. Overall I’m still in Camp Envious of those who’ve taken delivery. 😜
The following users liked this post:
Kanpai (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 05:20 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yes seems to keep pointing to the LH side.

Would be interesting to know of all those reporting the CEL, what the production months are..

Long shot that all cars having the issue are impacted by this “TBD” issue, during the same assembly month / time frame..

Although now that I think about it, I suspect most on the ground now will say 11/21 on the door jamb VIN plate.

It does not break it down by weeks for public to see, but for sure Corporate can determine if these issue will be VIN targeted..

Joe Z
If you go on the vehicle history on the headunit, unless the dealer cleared them (which I doubt they did), every IS owner should have 3 codes in history on the date that they were built. I have them, and everyone that has posted a picture of theirs has it as well. I've been seeing them from the November 19-20ish range. I have yet to see a December vehicle in the mix.
Old 01-31-22, 05:40 AM
giS
Intermediate

Received 670 Likes on 274 Posts

Looks like dealers are getting ahead of the CEL issue. This LE had its oxygen sensor replaced prior to sale.

The following 6 users liked this post by giS:
Carolina50 (01-31-22), DaveGS4 (01-31-22), DLPTony (01-31-22), jjc1111 (01-31-22), JT2MA71 (02-01-22), wthrman2 (01-31-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-22, 05:54 AM
eZmoneyEd
Rookie

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by giS
Looks like dealers are getting ahead of the CEL issue. This LE had its oxygen sensor replaced prior to sale.

This is good news. I haven’t experienced the CEL yet (850 miles) :::knocks on wood::: Hopefully this helps with the amount of people that are cautiously holding off on buying. It’s a great car and I’ve been enjoying it so much. Would like to see more on the roads, at least in central FL. Also more owners could lead to more aftermarket support.
The following 3 users liked this post by eZmoneyEd:
arentz07 (01-31-22), Carolina50 (01-31-22), DLPTony (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 06:26 AM
drawg22
Driver

Received 98 Likes on 46 Posts

Is someone tracking how many on here have run up against this issue with the last numbers of the VIN? I'd like to give the information to my dealer to see if they will be proactive with it when mine finally comes in. I'm sure mine will have it as it was manufactured in November like these on here so far. Maybe also include manufacture date if possible as well.
Old 01-31-22, 06:51 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

cbroccoli - To be honest, I feel what you are saying. I haven't purchased mine yet and reading all these issues and such has taken the excitement out of this car for me too. My 2021 350 F sport has been bullet proof and checks pretty much everything minus the V8 but I may pass TBH. The other option is I may wait for the 2023 instead and try and do a custom order to get the combo I always wanted. Seeing the white on white in Miami sort of rubbed me the wrong way and all the CEL issues, while nothing major, just adds salt to the wound so I may just wait it out.

Mine is supposed to arrive in a couple weeks so when I go to see it, I will talk with the Service Dpt and if they tell me there is a TSB, then that may be different but I am not driving 4h and then get here with a CEL code and no dealer around which is going to be a PITA.
I've made the decision to hold off until 2023 model year. I think it's a safe bet to assume that the pandemic has had some impact on the quality of this particular vehicle - whether it's the use of backup parts suppliers, possible use of alternative (maybe lower quality) semi-conductors, covid related staff shortages the plant, or whatever the case may be . There must be little to no new technology being introduced into the IS500 (Lexus wouldn't do the R&D investment just to sell the car to USA and Canada only). This is basically an IS300/350 with a different engine. I've had my 21 IS350 for almost a year now and logged 14,000 km with no issues (*knock on wood*) and this was a first model year car. I'm not going to take a step backwards here in terms of reliability. The root cause of the CEL issue has not been determined. And when I hear things like sensors, gaskets, and entire exhaust manifolds being replaced in the "hopes" of clearing the CEL alert , it's quite clear no one knows WTF is going on here. What other issues are lurking with the IS500 that haven't emerged yet? Let's all hope Lexus nails the root cause soon, issues whatever bulletins/recalls are required, and that's it, and the rest of the car holds true to the Lexus reliability motto and we all enjoy this wonderful beast for years to come. But until that happens, I'm holding off. And boy, I can tell you that I've been tempted - I've seen in person: an infrared IS500, a USB, a couple of LE's, with the pen in hand ready to pull the trigger. I've let them all go . Maybe I'll regret this a few months down the road. LOL.
The following 3 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
DLPTony (01-31-22), Vitveet (01-31-22), wthrman2 (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 06:58 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

As you know, you and I are EXTREMELY alike in more ways than you can imagine. When I read your posts, I often have to remind myself to look at the name of the person posting because I often think I am reading my own post, that is how much alike we think, it is scary, even down to the fact we both own a 2021 IS 350! I have been going through the exact same rationale as you have just said and leaning toward the same way as you for the exact same reason. Mine won't be picked up until April so if the dealer can confirm that some sort of TSB or bulletin is issued to officially correct this issue, I'll pass too. While I like the idea of the 500, I don't live close to a dealer and don't want to be dealing with this crap while 4h away. I love my 350 and it is everything I want (minus the V8) but has the white interior I love, has the wheels I love, has a sunroof (that the 500 doesn't) and to be honest, with the fact I do 99% of my driving within the city limit, I don't need a v8 as 311HP is more than enough....If they get their stuff sorted out soon, that is different but if not, I'll pass and let Answer get it. An official decision is not made yet and won't be until April or until I speak to my dealer..
Old 01-31-22, 07:15 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

As you know, you and I are EXTREMELY alike in more ways than you can imagine. When I read your posts, I often have to remind myself to look at the name of the person posting because I often think I am reading my own post, that is how much alike we think, it is scary, even down to the fact we both own a 2021 IS 350! I have been going through the exact same rationale as you have just said and leaning toward the same way as you for the exact same reason. Mine won't be picked up until April so if the dealer can confirm that some sort of TSB or bulletin is issued to officially correct this issue, I'll pass too. While I like the idea of the 500, I don't live close to a dealer and don't want to be dealing with this crap while 4h away. I love my 350 and it is everything I want (minus the V8) but has the white interior I love, has the wheels I love, has a sunroof (that the 500 doesn't) and to be honest, with the fact I do 99% of my driving within the city limit, I don't need a v8 as 311HP is more than enough....If they get their stuff sorted out soon, that is different but if not, I'll pass and let Answer get it. An official decision is not made yet and won't be until April or until I speak to my dealer..
And perhaps we're just a bit lucky as we already have a copy of the latest generation IS so maybe we feel we can hold off a longer since it's basically the same car (minus 161 horsepower). But for those who don't have the latest generation IS and want one (want the 500), or legitimately are in need of a new car - it's a tough decision. It's very good that you don't take delivery until April and that you can pull the plug at that point if all this ***** isn't resolved by then. Buys you some time . And the good thing is, if this is all resolved, you pick up the car ripe for the summer driving season.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 07:25 AM
kcarr91
Driver School Candidate

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
I've made the decision to hold off until 2023 model year.
Between how hard it is to get one without markup or mandatory accessories and then this issue, I'm starting to lean the same way. At least i want to hold off until the issue and fix is 100% known. I hate the idea of giving up my perfectly working car right now for one that will have a 50% chance of going right to service (although the used car prices are making it tempting to sell now). I'm following this issue closely from the background and hoping this can easily fixed for all cars already produced. Thanks for everyones sacrifice who has dealt with this so far.

Do we have any idea when the next model years tend to come out for Lexus?
Old 01-31-22, 07:33 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
that would be awesome but if all that needs replacing is a gasket there’s no way they’d upgrade the whole exhaust, lol, especially if this problem becomes common. Also does Lexus even make an upgraded exhaust for the IS500 yet?
I meant an AFTERMARKET, like the JoeZ exhaust I have on the F, or whatever company exhaust you choose, exhaust, and have Lexus install it free of charge. Not get them to give you an exhaust, lol.

V.

Quick Reply: IS 500 - CEL problem and update