IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 - CEL problem and update

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 08:10 AM
hotct
Pit Crew

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

New here and got on the waiting list at a local dealer before seeing this thread. While speaking to the salesman about the waitlist, he tells me there aren't any IS 500's being produced this month due to a "wiring harness issue" and that March or April would be the soonest I'd be able to get a car. I wonder if this is at all related to the CEL you guys are seeing.
Old 01-31-22, 08:15 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

^^ This is purely a speculation on my part but the "wiring harness issue" might be more of a supply issue or something - I think most will agree that a bad gasket on the exhaust seems to be the issue with the CEL codes.

Last edited by wthrman2; 01-31-22 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-31-22, 08:22 AM
hotct
Pit Crew

okay, so is the tldr of this thread that a bad gasket is what's causing this CEL? Saw something a few posts back about people changing out O2 sensors.
The following users liked this post:
ICEforever (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 08:29 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ It appears that the gaskets seem to correct many of the issues but for some customers, the dealers had to change some O2 sensors. We are still waiting an official word from Lexus to see what is the actual issue/repair...Stay tuned to this thread
Old 01-31-22, 08:54 AM
jjc1111
Driver

Received 119 Likes on 59 Posts

I know I'll be flamed, but here goes. Lexus/Toyota is not infallible. This misconception that BMW/Audi = more repair prone/bad and Lexus/Toyota = less repair prone/good is just that, a misconception. I think we, myself included, have developed this schema that Japanese engineering and production are superior to all others. But isn't that how we generally think of Germans? Yet we bash BMW reliability on this forum? I realize CELs are frustrating and produce a great level of cognitive dissonance. "Most people want to hold the belief that they make good choices. When a product or item we purchase turns out badly, it conflicts with our previously existing belief about our decision-making abilities." We're living in unusual times with unusual manufacturing variables. It's shi**y your new $70k purchase has problems, but you have a warranty, and you'll likely get a loaner. If you don't like your situation, cut your losses and move on to another brand or just drive your Prius. Some of you like to have a reason to complain excessively. Thanks for sharing any and all information about CELs and other tips/tricks and vent too. But then move on and quit dwelling. Work through this and choose to be happy or bail.
The following 3 users liked this post by jjc1111:
Brandonfu (01-31-22), ExLexOwner (01-31-22), nmdjr (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 08:57 AM
ExLexOwner
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

As you all know, and I've already stated, first model year cars can have issues (yes, EVEN Lexus).

That being said, this seems to be a little more serious. I've been lucky that in my first year with my M2 Comp, it has been bulletproof. However, ask me again at 60K miles.

Good luck to you all. I know this is infuriating.
nmdjr (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 09:00 AM
jjc1111
Driver

Received 119 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by giS
Looks like dealers are getting ahead of the CEL issue. This LE had its oxygen sensor replaced prior to sale.
Nice work - really good find.
Old 01-31-22, 09:06 AM
hotct
Pit Crew

A CEL due to exhaust gaskets or an O2 sensor is pretty minor. I mean I get people are inconvenienced with their expensive car on this, but I honestly don't get why it's being dramatized like it seems to be.
The following 5 users liked this post by hotct:
AJinDFW (01-31-22), jjc1111 (01-31-22), nmdjr (01-31-22), Vitveet (01-31-22), wthrman2 (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 09:14 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by jjc1111
I know I'll be flamed, but here goes. Lexus/Toyota is not infallible. This misconception that BMW/Audi = more repair prone/bad and Lexus/Toyota = less repair prone/good is just that, a misconception. I think we, myself included, have developed this schema that Japanese engineering and production are superior to all others. But isn't that how we generally think of Germans? Yet we bash BMW reliability on this forum? I realize CELs are frustrating and produce a great level of cognitive dissonance. "Most people want to hold the belief that they make good choices. When a product or item we purchase turns out badly, it conflicts with our previously existing belief about our decision-making abilities." We're living in unusual times with unusual manufacturing variables. It's shi**y your new $70k purchase has problems, but you have a warranty, and you'll likely get a loaner. If you don't like your situation, cut your losses and move on to another brand or just drive your Prius. Some of you like to have a reason to complain excessively. Thanks for sharing any and all information about CELs and other tips/tricks and vent too. But then move on and quit dwelling. Work through this and choose to be happy or bail.
I would agree with you to an extent.
I think the needle has been moving in different directions for both the Japanese and German car brands.
The Germans seem to be getting a little better, and the Japanese seem to be getting a little worse.
I don't think the 'misconception' is really that...maybe the content of the conception has changed over the years.
In the end, right now, I'd still get a Lexus/Toyota over an MB/BMW/Audi.
After the warranty period is over I'd definitely be keeping a Lexus/Toyota over any German vehicle.
And if I was buying used and out of warranty, I'd be picking a Lexus/Toyota over a German brand.
If you're leasing a vehicle I always tell me get whatever you want...it's gonna be under warranty the entire time and you're giving it back in the end, so who cares what you pick, just pick what you like.

I still think the Germans have a little ways to go before they dethrone Lexus/Toyota in overall quality and reliability...but certainly the gap has closed.
And definitely the IS500 issue is helping the Germans with that gap.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
ExLexOwner (01-31-22), Kanpai (01-31-22), nmdjr (01-31-22), wthrman2 (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 09:14 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jjc1111
I won't flame you for speaking openly and respectfully because that is the whole point of a forum. I agree, no car companies are perfect and this also includes Lexus/Toyota but the reason I think so many (including myself) are so shocked is that traditionally, this is not something that is common but no one ever said it was impossible either. I have only been with Lexus since 2015 so I don't have a lot of historical data but I have rarely seen a car coming out from Lexus in which pretty much all (or a lot of them) have this problem barely coming out of the gate so that is why I think it is a bit weird for me. Personally, I don't have an issue with a car needing some warranty work and repairs, I agree that is the whole point of having a warranty but in my case, and can't speak for everyone, when you live in remote areas and several hours from a dealer, being stuck is a major inconvenience. It is one thing if you don't have any reason to believe your car will develop an issue and then something goes wrong with it....That is in the category that doodoo happens. What is harder for me is to willingly go to the dealer and drive my car home knowing that there is a very strong likelihood that I will either not make it or get stuck when I get home.....That is the part that makes me want to wait a bit more, because it is almost assured something will go wrong and I am quite far.

Hope that makes sense and to all forum members, I sincerely apologize if I am being perceived as a whiner/complainer as that is not my objective - I enjoy spending time with you guys and sharing my opinions, anecdotal experiences and things about Lexus products....
AJinDFW (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 09:17 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hotct
A CEL due to exhaust gaskets or an O2 sensor is pretty minor. I mean I get people are inconvenienced with their expensive car on this, but I honestly don't get why it's being dramatized like it seems to be.
I agree - I think the bigger thing to keep in mind is the impact of the failure. For example, if you are stranded out of town and far from a dealer and have to spend time in a hotel, eat in restaurants or fly back home while the closest dealer gets the part, the inconvenience is far more serious than a person who lives 10 min from the dealer and can drive a loaner for a few days The old expression, "it's all relative" I think applies
350RWD (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 09:20 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

JJC1111 gets a pass from me because if it werent for him I wouldnt have my USB IS500 and a partly comped trip to Santa Fe, hahaha. Hey did you get your $200 referral bonus yet? I sure hope so...
wthrman2 (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 09:23 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Again putting Lexus on a pedestal that they are ALL perfect cars with ZERO issues is a misconception..

The brand is know to be the most reliable compared to its competitors.

I’m sure the manufacturer is aware and remember it’s a Passionate Pursuit of Perfection!!!

I will repeat this part, this CEL although painful in a new car purchase like the IS 500, I’m 100% confident in the brand that this will be made right..

I can assure you their goal was not to deliver cars for sale tripping a CEL right off the lot.. or in some cases while it’s still in inventory..

This is not a full brand new car / parts model issue.
But in my opinion a supply chain issue with something out of spec from there OEM parts suppliers..

Let’s see if Lexus will put something out more formally in the days / weeks to come..

Trust me they are reading what we are writing.

Joe Z

wthrman2 (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 09:24 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

macmaster - Hey!! That is a conflict of interest, we can't have that here (LMAO) - Just kidding

Last edited by wthrman2; 01-31-22 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-31-22, 09:31 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Hey!! That is a conflict of interest, we can't have that here (LMAO) - Just kidding
Yes I understand that can be “triggering” for many die hard Lexus enthusiast’s..

But if you don’t speak the truth, improvements are never made. Or in some cases come up short..!!

Joe Z

Quick Reply: IS 500 - CEL problem and update