IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 - CEL problem and update

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 09:34 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yes I understand that can be “triggering” for many die hard Lexus enthusiast’s..

But if you don’t speak the truth, improvements are never made. Or in some cases come up short..!!

Joe Z
He was talking about me and how JC1111 has a lifetime pass from me. He can even diss my Prius all he wants. Well, at least until my CEL comes back on. Jk.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 09:37 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Joe Z - Sorry for the confusion, I had to edit my post because I was teasing macmaster but you posted just before mine got posted so it looked like I was referring to your post. I agree with everything that you said, and also JJC1111, I don't fault a company for having something go wrong out of the gate, it happens to all car companies. I am not ruling out the IS 500 for good, I am just saying that given my situation, it may be prudent to hold off a bit until this issue is resolved to put as much odd in my favor
Old 01-31-22, 09:38 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by macmaster
He was talking about me and how JC1111 has a lifetime pass from me. He can even diss my Prius all he wants. Well, at least until my CEL comes back on. Jk.
Originally Posted by wthrman2
Joe Z - Sorry for the confusion, I had to edit my post because I was teasing macmaster but you posted just before mine got posted so it looked like I was referring to your post. I agree with everything that you said, and also JJC1111, I don't fault a company for having something go wrong out of the gate, it happens to all car companies. I am not ruling out the IS 500 for good, I am just saying that given my situation, it may be prudent to hold off a bit until this issue is resolved to put as much odd in my favor
​​​​​​​Guys don’t worry…

I am posting this for the other general audience…

They know who they are.. We all want the Brand to be stronger & better.

Joe Z
The following 3 users liked this post by Joe Z:
AJinDFW (01-31-22), Moonman89 (01-31-22), wthrman2 (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 10:12 AM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

So mine is a 1750+ VIN and was manufactured 12/21. I only have 100 miles, no CEL.
Old 01-31-22, 10:15 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

I officially hit 700 miles today no CEL. I plan on my 1st Oil-Change around the 4k mark but I will be bringing in my own oil (Castrol Edge 5W-30 Full Synthetic) to the Lexus dealer once I hit the mark.
Old 01-31-22, 10:26 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by hotct
A CEL due to exhaust gaskets or an O2 sensor is pretty minor. I mean I get people are inconvenienced with their expensive car on this, but I honestly don't get why it's being dramatized like it seems to be.
I agree nothing is perfect, and after reading this thread, I am sure Lexus will check the box and nail this for good. With all the pre-production testing my guess is a supply or bad run of electrical components is at fault here after the pre production supplies. It is possible that its a 2 part problem with the Gaskets also, but I don't think the Gaskets are the cause. From the ECU through the Harness to the O2 sensors it transmits sensitive Voltage ranges. My guess is a electronic component that is sporadic in intermittent failure in its function. Preforming ok sometimes, then not at other times. Not a simple as a fail mode that fails, and stays failed. Lexus will fix this and figure the problem. Likely they are working to test and provide a permanent fix not a possible fix, one but permanent one. Got to find the Cause and ..... Effect, and fix.

I can totally understand the frustrations the Owners are having at this time. If were me when fixed I would ask Lexus for some kind of compensation. Don't know if they would buy something like a service dollar amount credit or something for the problem experienced. I think Joe Z hit it on the Head, with the supply chain fault issue. I thought the same when I read thought from the beginning until I got to his post. Hang in there, this is a EPA related problem. They will come to a permanent fix, I'm sure.
Old 01-31-22, 10:28 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by hotct
A CEL due to exhaust gaskets or an O2 sensor is pretty minor. I mean I get people are inconvenienced with their expensive car on this, but I honestly don't get why it's being dramatized like it seems to be.
Lol, exactly. It may hurt gas mileage by a mpg or 2 ( which no one bought this NA V8 for gas mileage anyway), and may give you 2-3 HP less, but not like it's an issue that'll leave you stranded or cause engine/transmission failure, lol! Obviously no one wants this is and doesn't want to see CELs on their new vehicle... Just no need for overreacting.
JoeZ, my dealers have no problem installing aftermarket items btw. They are actually glad to. No all dealers are super strict on aftermarket goodies and chose to lose business by not installing them. And obviously some aftermarket parts void certain warranties, but an aftermarket exhaust won't void your power train warranty, lol. If a dealer tells you that or implies that, they're Basing you and/or are trying to scare you.

V.
Brandonfu (01-31-22)
Old 01-31-22, 02:14 PM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

Received 206 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jjc1111
I know I'll be flamed, but here goes. Lexus/Toyota is not infallible. This misconception that BMW/Audi = more repair prone/bad and Lexus/Toyota = less repair prone/good is just that, a misconception. I think we, myself included, have developed this schema that Japanese engineering and production are superior to all others. But isn't that how we generally think of Germans? Yet we bash BMW reliability on this forum? I realize CELs are frustrating and produce a great level of cognitive dissonance. "Most people want to hold the belief that they make good choices. When a product or item we purchase turns out badly, it conflicts with our previously existing belief about our decision-making abilities." We're living in unusual times with unusual manufacturing variables. It's shi**y your new $70k purchase has problems, but you have a warranty, and you'll likely get a loaner. If you don't like your situation, cut your losses and move on to another brand or just drive your Prius. Some of you like to have a reason to complain excessively. Thanks for sharing any and all information about CELs and other tips/tricks and vent too. But then move on and quit dwelling. Work through this and choose to be happy or bail.
You're partially correct in that Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, etc. aren't infallible. You're incorrect in your conclusion that a difference in vehicle problems, longevity, durability and ownership costs and headaches are a misconception. There is plenty of data to back up the fact that Japanese cars tend to have fewer defects and breakdowns than their European or American counterparts. Looking deeper, vehicle quality metrics are tied also to make and model, not just nation of origin. There are more misconceptions about how and why these data come to pass, e.g., "German cars are over-engineered whereas Japanese cars are simple and based on proven technology", which isn't entirely true and doesn't explain the often low-tech issues that cause vehicles to fail, but the reliability and defect data are valid. Of note, one of the most reliable cars is German. Other than Lexus, Porsche has better JD Power ratings than just about every Japanese manufacturer. Mercedes-Benz, not so much, LOL.

My biggest beef lies in the way dealers and manufacturers often deal with consumers who've truly gotten a bad product.

Edit: BTW, not a flame at all. You bring some very valid points.

Last edited by AJinDFW; 01-31-22 at 02:18 PM.
wthrman2 (02-01-22)
Old 01-31-22, 03:06 PM
ExLexOwner
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AJinDFW
You're partially correct in that Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, etc. aren't infallible. You're incorrect in your conclusion that a difference in vehicle problems, longevity, durability and ownership costs and headaches are a misconception. There is plenty of data to back up the fact that Japanese cars tend to have fewer defects and breakdowns than their European or American counterparts. Looking deeper, vehicle quality metrics are tied also to make and model, not just nation of origin. There are more misconceptions about how and why these data come to pass, e.g., "German cars are over-engineered whereas Japanese cars are simple and based on proven technology", which isn't entirely true and doesn't explain the often low-tech issues that cause vehicles to fail, but the reliability and defect data are valid. Of note, one of the most reliable cars is German. Other than Lexus, Porsche has better JD Power ratings than just about every Japanese manufacturer. Mercedes-Benz, not so much, LOL.

My biggest beef lies in the way dealers and manufacturers often deal with consumers who've truly gotten a bad product.

Edit: BTW, not a flame at all. You bring some very valid points.
Yup. Porsche has crazy good reliability.
Old 01-31-22, 04:55 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 831 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Lol, exactly. It may hurt gas mileage by a mpg or 2 ( which no one bought this NA V8 for gas mileage anyway), and may give you 2-3 HP less, but not like it's an issue that'll leave you stranded or cause engine/transmission failure, lol! Obviously no one wants this is and doesn't want to see CELs on their new vehicle...
Exactly my thoughts! It totally sucks to have a CEL on a new car, but it's not like the car isn't working anymore. Heck, one could even clear the code and be good for another couple hundreads miles before it coming back.
Could be a lot worse, like batteries exploding...
The following 3 users liked this post by Answer:
phoenix888 (02-01-22), Vitveet (01-31-22), wthrman2 (02-01-22)
Old 01-31-22, 09:31 PM
Haku415
Driver School Candidate

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zman21
So mine is a 1750+ VIN and was manufactured 12/21. I only have 100 miles, no CEL.
You may or may not get a CEL because my vin is higher and I got a CEL at 35 miles in. I'm not trying to jinx it.
Old 01-31-22, 09:38 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Haku415
You may or may not get a CEL because my vin is higher and I got a CEL at 35 miles in. I'm not trying to jinx it.
Are you able to find your production date in the display screen??

Joe Z

Old 01-31-22, 09:43 PM
Haku415
Driver School Candidate

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Are you able to find your production date in the display screen??

Joe Z
At the moment the car is still at the dealer but I'll keep you guys posted of the situation and the production date of the car. I'm hoping tomorrow would have some good news. I'll also ask about the codes that the car threw.
Old 01-31-22, 10:25 PM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

Does this mean my production date is November 19?
Old 02-01-22, 05:21 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by ExLexOwner
Yup. Porsche has crazy good reliability.
Not sure what the JD Power report looks like, but real world feedback from Porsche owners would suggest otherwise.
Let's assume JD is right, we should all sell our IS's and buy Porsche's...oh wait, there's that whole 'sticker price' thing.

I think I'm good driving my 7+ year old IS...and looking forward to my next IS...or worst case something in the Lexus/Toyota family.
ExLexOwner (02-01-22)

Quick Reply: IS 500 - CEL problem and update