IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 - CEL problem and update

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-22, 12:26 AM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Not to be a jerk, but I would like to stress what I have predicted back in Nov. 2021, do not buy the 1st model year of a new trim with major mechanical changes:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post11169985

Now, as my prediction has been proven as above, my suggestion is:

1. After fixing the CEL issue, sell the IS500 to take advantage of the current high valuation in used car market;
2. Wait for the next or 3rd model year of IS500;
3. It is almost sure that the 2023 IS500 will get a brand new dash design, new display, new multimedia system with all new hardwares and OS, like the new NX and the upcoming new RX; it is also very possible Lexus will throw in mechanical enhancements as well for later model years (judging from past models, there is 100% possibility they will do this). In a nutshell, later model years of IS500 will have better technologies, drive/perform better, feel much solid and more reliable, more collectible, so it definitely worth the wait.
The following users liked this post:
Brandonfu (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 02:45 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by lexussingh
wtf, they would have to be gunning it the whole time and even then i cant understand how they used that much gas in 10 miles. I guess its possible.
This is a conundrum, because in this scenario the Enform App could be a stress inducer. Most owners wouldn’t care, but we aren’t most owners. On one hand this annoys the living Eff out of me, but on the other…how else are they suppose to test the repair?

As a tech professional I’ll always lean toward the technology, but some things I’d rather not know. 😂
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
Carolina50 (02-02-22), Kanpai (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 04:00 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by felixcat
Not to be a jerk, but I would like to stress what I have predicted back in Nov. 2021, do not buy the 1st model year of a new trim with major mechanical changes:

1. After fixing the CEL issue, sell the IS500 to take advantage of the current high valuation in used car market;
3. It is almost sure that the 2023 IS500 will get a brand new dash design, new display, new multimedia system with all new hardwares and OS, like the new NX and the upcoming new RX; it is also very possible Lexus will throw in mechanical enhancements as well for later model years (judging from past models, there is 100% possibility they will do this). In a nutshell, later model years of IS500 will have better technologies, drive/perform better, feel much solid and more reliable, more collectible, so it definitely worth the wait.
I’m willing to be every single organ in my body, and the title to my car that there will be no changes for 2023. That would constitute a 3rd refresh for this generation and it’s just not going to happen
The following 4 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
Brandonfu (02-02-22), Carolina50 (02-02-22), Sasnuke (02-02-22), wthrman2 (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 04:07 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Now it is my turn to not sound like a jerk but you were correct that this car has had some problems with some faulty exhaust gaskets (At least, all but one seems to have had their issue solved by replacing these) but again, you said to not to buy a a car with new mechanical changes. I would agree with you when the 2013 IS came out, or when the LC came out because those were new from the ground up pretty much. If you look at things objectively, the 2022 IS 500 is really the IS 350 DHP with the engine and transmission of the RC F and GS F so to be honest, all things should be solid and reliable. I could be wrong but I would argue that the pandemic and lack of parts and possibly having to reliable on external suppliers is more likely to be the culprit than the car itself. Except for the codes being thrown off, there are no engine problems, there are no transmission problems, there are no infotainment problems and such, so in my opinion, Lexus will issue a TSB and have these gaskets replaced and things should be good. In my case, I am hoping this TSB will happen sooner than later so that the repairs are done prior to me picking up mine to avoid having to go back to the dealer which is quite far away and a major inconvenience. Your theory about don't buy a new car when it has a significant change is valid, but all things being considered, all the major components of this car aren't new and if you look at it objectively, this is not a significant problem but more of an inconvenience. Now in Jororo's case, his unit seems to have more significant problems but he is the exception at this time.

With respect to your prediction of a new interior - I could be proven wrong and I'll apologize if you are proven to be correct, but I just can't imagine how/why Lexus would change the interior of the IS 300/350/500 after two years into it's production. I think that Lexus did the 2021+ with the understanding this car is just to tie them over until the Full Model Change which I expect to be in 2025 using the same RWD platform that they are codeveloping with Mazda in which the Mazda 6 will ride on (as a RWD). I think, and again I could be wrong, that is when Lexus will release an IS F on that platform but will have a turbo V6 and will ditch the V8 all together so my prediction is that the IS 500 with the V8 will be only a few years in the making before they ditch the engine all together and that is why I can't see Lexus adopting the new interior until that happens. The difference between the IS 500 F Sport Performance and the IS F in 2025+ will be, in my opinion, with the turbo output and HP but again, all speculation on my part.
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Brandonfu (02-02-22), Carolina50 (02-02-22), TipsyTonio (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 04:09 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
I’m willing to be every single organ in my body, and the title to my car that there will be no changes for 2023. That would constitute a 3rd refresh for this generation and it’s just not going to happen
We agreed on our post - Although I am not willing to bet every single organ....I am not sure your GF will be happy if Felix turns out to be right
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Brandonfu (02-02-22), Carolina50 (02-02-22), TipsyTonio (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 05:11 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by lexussingh
wtf, they would have to be gunning it the whole time and even then i cant understand how they used that much gas in 10 miles. I guess its possible.
The missing gas would be a combo of the drive and a lot of idling in the shop for diagnosing the issue.
Because the code occurs at fuel cut you'd have to accelerate pretty good so you can back right off the gas and capture data...and repeat likely a few times.
The best place to do this would be the highway.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
TipsyTonio (02-02-22), Vitveet (02-03-22), wthrman2 (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 05:50 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

you’re right that it’s not best to buy the first year of a new model and you’re right it might behoove us to sell while the market is hot (even though at best you might make a few thousand dollars and who cares about that), but you’re completely wrong about the infotainment, not just in your prediction but how much you overestimate it. I don’t want the NX infotainment. Have you actually used it? It’s awful and car enthusiasts agree. Changing the platform to something more modern is also a win-lose. The IS500 is special because of how analog the car feels. 100% chance they will add mechanical improvements? Like the mechanical improvements they made going from the 2021 to the 2022 IS350? (There were none).
Old 02-02-22, 05:58 AM
SukB
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

LE #68 here (so close to 69 arggg)…. 1300 miles and no CEL. Car is great. Only problem seems to be that my climate control doesn’t remember my settings sometimes when it’s parked overnight. Last night parked and had it on 74. Get in this morning and it’s set to 68. Odd, to say the least. Never had a car forget what temperature it was left on…..

The following 3 users liked this post by SukB:
Carolina50 (02-02-22), DLPTony (02-02-22), wthrman2 (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 06:40 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Just no, dude.
Carolina50 (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 06:41 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
I’m willing to bet every single organ in my body, and the title to my car that there will be no changes for 2023. That would constitute a 3rd refresh for this generation and it’s just not going to happen
I'd have to agree with Tipsy...while what felix is saying is not impossible, it's highly improbable.
Consider that the IS500 is only for North American market...as much as Lexus spent some time designing the vehicle, they are definitely not going to sink money into redesigning the vehicle.
This version of the IS (300/350/500) is likely the last version of the car before it goes through a major redesign and most likely electrification.
The current version is already a major refresh, which happens once in a blue moon for Lexus/Toyota...it just wasn't a "let's change the front and rear lights, and maybe a bumper or two" refresh...it was literally an entire body replacement.
There is no way they are going to do that again...and the interior, except for some minor tweaks, is the same from 2014.
Also as the IS500 was launched for 2022, I think you can guarantee at least 3 year of the model...maybe a 4th year, but nothing beyond that...considering the body started life in 2021.
wthrman2 (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 06:50 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ You seem to say what I think so too Again, Felix may be right and I would be the first to admit I was wrong as I have no ego issue whatsoever....I think the years on the beach in my leopard skin speedo fixed that, but I agree that given the somewhat limited span of this 3.5G IS, I doubt they would go for a full interior refresh. I can see some goodies being added or minor tweaks being made, and for example, in Canada, we could see the sunroof added as a standard equipment where it is not available at all at the moment.
Old 02-02-22, 07:13 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

It happened to me yesterday at exactly 780 miles. Coincidentally yesterday was the warmest day of the year so far in Michigan it was close to 50 degrees.

The following 2 users liked this post by Moonman89:
Brandonfu (02-02-22), wthrman2 (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 07:24 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Moonman89
It happened to me yesterday at exactly 780 miles. Coincidentally yesterday was the warmest day of the year so far in Michigan it was close to 50 degrees.
warm weather has nothing to do with it. Mine occurred in a chilly 30F Santa Fe afternoon. Nothings happened since returning to 70F Ca.
Old 02-02-22, 07:32 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
warm weather has nothing to do with it. Mine occurred in a chilly 30F Santa Fe afternoon. Nothings happened since returning to 70F Ca.
How many miles are on your car? Is yours fixed now I am taking mine to the dealer next week & will be getting a loaner.
Old 02-02-22, 07:48 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Moonman89
How many miles are on your car? Is yours fixed now I am taking mine to the dealer next week & will be getting a loaner.
It was fixed at 20 miles. Now have about 1020.

Quick Reply: IS 500 - CEL problem and update