IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 - CEL problem and update

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 06:45 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

I don't have access to that information, just know some of teh users who has had some issues....I am hoping and suspect that it is the case that Lexus is correlating all these cases and trying to draw if there is a common link to these issues. Keep also in mind that there are some IS 500 who's owners aren't on teh forum so chances are, they are tracking other cases too.
Old 01-21-22, 10:03 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

This has now been identified in a couple of IS 500’s with exhaust leaks that are throwing CEL codes…

This is the road map you can start with

My posts in the other thread were already buried days ago…

Joe Z

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Re: CEL pointing to exhaust leak

Since these cars are brand new, I was like shouldn’t be an issue.. But of course never assume.

The O2 sensor CEL can be caused by this scenario as well. Essentially if there is a leak at the gaskets on the mid pipe to the manifolds or even a leak at the sensor itself if not installed correctly..

Some of our IS F / RC F / GS F owners have run into this problem from time to time, when they get an aftermarket full exhaust installed and the installer missed a step. One key step is making sure the crush gaskets are seated correctly making a 100% perfect seal at those connections.

If they leak you get a code for Bank 1 or Bank 2.. This is why I’m suggesting all those who are experiencing this to ASK for the codes so you know where the problem is pointing to. LH or RH

Gasket Leak, O2 sensors, etc etc..

In this case a leak or gasket leak can make it appear that the O2 sensor is reading a deficiency.

Spraying liquid soap shows the leak as air puffs out and of course Lexus Master Techs have leak detection sniffer tools as well that make this diagnosis a breeze..!!

The FSM manual will state the crush gaskets are one time use. So if they realign the connections and it seats correctly your good to go. If the problem persists new gasket(s) may be needed..

2 - Potential O2 sensors L & R in question on OEM mid-pipe.

The Full picture under the IS 500 oem exhaust

Hope this helps ALL to understand this more clearly..

SUPER GLAD that was a verifiable easy fix..!!

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-21-22 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Z:
2013FSport (04-26-22), wthrman2 (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 10:06 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Joe Z nailed it. Here's my RO from earlier this week.

The following 4 users liked this post by macmaster:
AJinDFW (01-25-22), IssaV8 (01-21-22), Joe Z (01-21-22), wthrman2 (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 10:21 AM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like mine might come in a day earlier, tomorrow. I'll be driving it around for a while immediately to see if I get any codes and will report back.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 10:35 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

DTC code P013A Bank 1 Sensor 2 - Which is a leak in the left side OR potential for a bad O2 sensor..

___

Joe Z

Originally Posted by macmaster
Joe Z nailed it. Here's my RO from earlier this week.

wthrman2 (01-21-22)
Old 01-24-22, 03:30 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

Update as to the CEL / oxygen sensor issue. Don’t read if you don’t care.

Picked up my car last Friday after being ‘fixed.’ It made it less than three days and 90 miles before throwing the Check Engine Light and Parking Brake Malfunction errors again this morning.

Brought it back in and it’s been ‘determined’ that it’s now the other exhaust bank’s oxygen sensor. When I asked to make sure all potentially failing parts would be replaced this time I was told probably not as all repairs are being dictated (restricted) by Lexus Corporate rather than by common sense. I say this because last Friday the replacement oxygen sensor was finally delivered to the dealership, but first they were instructed by Lexus to replace both exhaust gaskets and since this cleared the error/code (five days after I was told the exhaust gaskets were fine) Lexus corporate told the dealership not to be proactive and replace the oxygen sensor that had been ‘tested’ and shown to be defective.

Regardless since they had the part the first oxygen sensor was finally replaced today, but the problem persists. Now they think it’s the other exhaust bank’s oxygen sensor … meaning we will be waiting until Wednesday for that part to arrive.

Most important to this thread is that I was told that every IS 500 sold by Lexus so far would have to have this repair. Obviously this sounds somewhat curious and very concerning, but my service tech said the IS 500 LE that their dealership sold end of last week is already coming back for this repair tomorrow, so problem seems pretty widespread (no idea the VIN / etc on that one). I would note that Lexus Corporate appears to be implementing a step-by-step repair process so be prepared for multiple dealership visits if the cheapest fix doesn’t work.

Regardless not exactly grinning ear to ear from this experience … we can’t even make it past the city limits without the instrument panel lighting up like the Griswold’s house at Christmas. My state requires notifying the manufacturer in writing for issues like this in order to demand a replacement / buyback, which of course I did today. Sad day indeed when you wish you had kept a 7yo Subaru Forester rather than buying a new Lexus that all of us on this forum had waited so patiently for.

Last edited by jororo; 01-24-22 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Pics
The following 7 users liked this post by jororo:
Brandonfu (01-26-22), Compromise (01-24-22), JT2MA71 (01-27-22), macmaster (01-24-22), Nvicta (01-24-22), Vitveet (01-26-22), wthrman2 (01-24-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-24-22, 03:50 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jororo

Picked up my car last Friday after being ‘fixed.’ It made it less than three days and 90 miles before throwing the Check Engine Light and Parking Brake Malfunction errors again this morning.

Brought it back in and it’s been ‘determined’ that it’s now the other exhaust bank’s oxygen sensor. When I asked to make sure all potentially failing parts would be replaced this time I was told probably not as all repairs are being dictated (restricted) by Lexus Corporate rather than by common sense. I say this because last Friday the replacement oxygen sensor was finally delivered to the dealership, but first they were instructed by Lexus to replace both exhaust gaskets and since this cleared the error/code (five days after I was told the exhaust gaskets were fine) Lexus corporate told the dealership not to be proactive and replace the oxygen sensor that had been ‘tested’ and shown to be defective.

Regardless since they had the part the first oxygen sensor was finally replaced today, but the problem persists. Now they think it’s the other exhaust bank’s oxygen sensor … meaning we will be waiting until Wednesday for that part to arrive.

Most important to this thread is that I was told that every IS 500 sold by Lexus so far would have to have this repair. Obviously this sounds somewhat curious and very concerning, but my service tech said the IS 500 LE that their dealership sold end of last week is already coming back for this repair tomorrow, so problem seems pretty widespread (no idea the VIN / etc on that one). I would note that Lexus Corporate appears to be implementing a step-by-step repair process so be prepared for multiple dealership visits if the cheapest fix doesn’t work.

Regardless not exactly grinning ear to ear from this experience … we can’t even make it past the city limits without the instrument panel lighting up like the Griswold’s house at Christmas. My state requires notifying the manufacturer in writing for issues like this in order to demand a replacement / buyback, which of course I did today. Sad day indeed when you wish you had kept a 7yo Subaru Forester rather than buying a new Lexus that all of us on this forum had waited so patiently for.
I’m most shocked that nobody else has been reporting this issue. That said, I can’t determine if your service techs are the incompetent ones here or Lexus. The techs said the exhaust wasn’t the problem, then they fixed it anyway, which temporarily fixed the problem, but the sensor is still bad? It’s very confusing and I’m very sorry you’re still dealing with this.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
jororo (01-24-22), wthrman2 (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 04:06 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

I’m most shocked that nobody else has been reporting this issue. That said, I can’t determine if your service techs are the incompetent ones here or Lexus. The techs said the exhaust wasn’t the problem, then they fixed it anyway, which temporarily fixed the problem, but the sensor is still bad? It’s very confusing and I’m very sorry you’re still dealing with this.
So the tech said last Monday after I passed along your easy fix that the exhaust gasket was the first thing inspected and it wasn’t the problem, instead it was an oxygen sensor which had been ‘tested’ to be defective, but then when the new oxygen sensor was finally delivered Lexus corporate told them to instead first replace both exhaust gaskets, and since ‘fixed’ the problem Lexus Corporate told them not to go ahead and replace the oxygen sensor. This approach worked for all of 2.5 days.

Regardless the original, supposedly problematic - but not replaced - oxygen sensor was finally replaced today with no positive results. And, again, both exhaust gaskets have been replaced. So we’re now waiting once again for yet another oxygen sensor … which might or might not get replaced depending on the whims of Lexus Corporate.

Most interesting to me and this forum is that I was told told that all IS 500’s would have to get this fix. Without a doubt this could be pure “you’re not alone” BS, but if true figure it’s worth a couple raised eyebrows around these parts. It’s pretty clear by now that the dealership and/or Lexus Corporate have no idea what’s really going on so who knows what to think of what I’m being told.
Old 01-24-22, 04:15 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jororo
So the tech said last Monday after I passed along your easy fix that the exhaust gasket was the first thing inspected and it wasn’t the problem, instead it was an oxygen sensor which had been ‘tested’ to be defective, but then when the new oxygen sensor was finally delivered Lexus corporate told them to instead first replace both exhaust gaskets, and since ‘fixed’ the problem Lexus Corporate told them not to go ahead and replace the oxygen sensor. This approach worked for all of 2.5 days.

Regardless the original, supposedly problematic - but not replaced - oxygen sensor was finally replaced today with no positive results. And, again, both exhaust gaskets have been replaced. So we’re now waiting once again for yet another oxygen sensor … which might or might not get replaced depending on the whims of Lexus Corporate.

Most interesting to me and this forum is that I was told told that all IS 500’s would have to get this fix. Without a doubt this could be pure “you’re not alone” BS, but if true figure it’s worth a couple raised eyebrows around these parts. It’s pretty clear by now that the dealership and/or Lexus Corporate have no idea what’s really going on so who knows what to think of what I’m being told.
I wonder if I'm partly to blame for Lexus telling them to replace your exhaust gaskets. My master tech didn't even replace any part, he just disassembled it and reassembled and tightened it from my understanding. If the next O2 sensor replacement doesn't fix yours I really don't know what it could be. Might be worth checking out the parking brake itself next.

I don't know why all IS500s would need this fix if most are working fine, and especially if it doesn't even fix yours. Keep us updated please!
wthrman2 (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 04:47 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

More updates from Jororo, the member who seems to have had the most amount of issues with his IS 500 so far:

**************************** See below ******************************************

Old 01-24-22, 04:49 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

followed by a bit more from Jororo - Again, I am just trying to compile all the information about these codes in a consolidated area for members who could be having the same issue, sorry for those who reads this as a duplicate:

**************** See below *************************

Old 01-24-22, 05:05 PM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

Picked up my IS500 LE 126/500 on Saturday so far 100 miles on the odometer. Once I start driving it more which won't be until spring I will chime in if I have the same CEL issue.
wthrman2 (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 05:16 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DLPTony
I agree 100%. I sincerely hope the issues are isolated and resolved.
I agree - I really feel for Jororo who is still, by far, the one member the most affected by these codes. There have been many new owners in the forum lately so we'll see if more of these codes show up. I have tried contacting my dealer today but my sales manager wasn't in but was trying to verify if there was indeed some notifications sent to dealers. Has anyone checked with their dealers to see what has been shared with them?
Old 01-24-22, 05:21 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Much apreciated, I hope yours will be problem free but we'd appreciate if you shared your experience of such an issue arises. I won't take ownership of mine until April so I can't really contribute to this thread yet, except collect all information and try and consolidate it in a separate thread as the IS 500 thread is just humongous now.

Full disclosure, I can't take credit for the idea, simply used the suggestion by a forum member (Joe Z) and took the lead as others are doing their bits to keep track of where the LE are located and spreadsheets of dealers with nasty markups ...
Old 01-24-22, 05:32 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

I wonder if I'm partly to blame for Lexus telling them to replace your exhaust gaskets. My master tech didn't even replace any part, he just disassembled it and reassembled and tightened it from my understanding. If the next O2 sensor replacement doesn't fix yours I really don't know what it could be. Might be worth checking out the parking brake itself next.

I don't know why all IS500s would need this fix if most are working fine, and especially if it doesn't even fix yours. Keep us updated please!
Sorry to hear the issues persist @jororo

If any emissions component is deemed to be defective during the manufacturing process, there could be an LSB issued replacing the parts in question in all or range if VIN’s. Even if they don’t have a CEL.

In this case bad gaskets or bad O2 sensors may be the issue..

Unless there is a deformity issue on alignment of exhaust manifolds to mid pipe flanges…

They’re running out of options on physical parts unless it becomes software related..

^^^ Exhibit A

Might be time to put all these posts in the dedicated thread created for this discussion, as I suggested last week..

Joe Z
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Z:
iceache925 (01-24-22), wthrman2 (01-24-22)

Quick Reply: IS 500 - CEL problem and update