IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 - CEL problem and update

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 05:40 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

From Joe Z below

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry to hear the issues persist @jororo

If any emissions component is deemed to be defective during the manufacturing process, there could be an LSB issued replacing the parts in question in all or range if VIN’s. Even if they don’t have a CEL.

In this case bad gaskets or bad O2 sensors may be the issue..

Unless there is a deformity issue on alignment of exhaust manifolds to mid pipe flanges…

They’re running out of options on physical parts unless it becomes software related..

Last edited by wthrman2; 01-24-22 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-24-22, 05:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Folks I’m moving future posts for the CEL discussion to this threads avoid all the duplication and clutter for this important issue, please post them here going forward
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
arentz07 (01-25-22), JT2MA71 (01-27-22), wthrman2 (01-24-22)
Old 01-25-22, 05:36 PM
loyocg
7th Gear

Received 40 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another new 500 owner with CEL issues

I traveled from Wyoming to Boise to get my LE. Drove it to Utah to visit family with no issues and 400 miles added. The very next morning (today), I drove it to run a few errands and the CEL and parking assist malfunction lit up. Now it’s at the dealership in Utah with an apparent gasket and o2 sensor issue. Ironically, there was another 500LE currently up being serviced for the exact same issue. Now they have two side by side 500LE with this issue. Unfortunately mine has to wait for parts to be ordered and I’m stuck in Utah needing to get back to Wyoming to get kids back in school. Might have to get a rental car to get back home and who knows how the heck I’m gonna get my car back home to Wyoming after the fix. I doubt they will tow it over 500 miles to my home in Wyoming and if they do, what happen when my CEL come back and the nearest dealership is 300 miles away in Colorado? A little bitter being a new Lexus owner but hoping for some positive resolve.
The following 6 users liked this post by loyocg:
AJinDFW (01-25-22), Brandonfu (01-26-22), Compromise (01-25-22), Joe Z (01-25-22), Vitveet (01-26-22), wthrman2 (01-25-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-25-22, 05:46 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Thanks for posting your experience and I really hope this issue will get proper resolution rapidly - it really is sad to see the list growing
Old 01-25-22, 07:09 PM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

Received 206 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
More updates from Jororo, the member who seems to have had the most amount of issues with his IS 500 so far:

**************************** See below ******************************************

Update as to the CEL / oxygen sensor issue. Don’t read if you don’t care.

Picked up my car last Friday after being ‘fixed.’ It made it less than three days and 90 miles before throwing the Check Engine Light and Parking Brake Malfunction errors again this morning.

Brought it back in and it’s been ‘determined’ that it’s now the other exhaust bank’s oxygen sensor. When I asked to make sure all potentially failing parts would be replaced this time I was told probably not as all repairs are being dictated (restricted) by Lexus Corporate rather than by common sense. I say this because last Friday the replacement oxygen sensor was finally delivered to the dealership, but first they were instructed by Lexus to replace both exhaust gaskets and since this cleared the error/code (five days after I was told the exhaust gaskets were fine) Lexus corporate told the dealership not to be proactive and replace the oxygen sensor that had been ‘tested’ and shown to be defective.

Regardless since they had the part the first oxygen sensor was finally replaced today, but the problem persists. Now they think it’s the other exhaust bank’s oxygen sensor … meaning we will be waiting until Wednesday for that part to arrive.

Most important to this thread is that I was told that every IS 500 sold by Lexus so far would have to have this repair. Obviously this sounds somewhat curious and very concerning, but my service tech said the IS 500 LE that their dealership sold end of last week is already coming back for this repair tomorrow, so problem seems pretty widespread (no idea the VIN / etc on that one). I would note that Lexus Corporate appears to be implementing a step-by-step repair process so be prepared for multiple dealership visits if the cheapest fix doesn’t work.

Regardless not exactly grinning ear to ear from this experience … we can’t even make it past the city limits without the instrument panel lighting up like the Griswold’s house at Christmas. My state requires notifying the manufacturer in writing for issues like this in order to demand a replacement / buyback, which of course I did today. Sad day indeed when you wish you had kept a 7yo Subaru Forester rather than buying a new Lexus that all of us on this forum had waited so patiently for.

So, have you requested a refund/buyback/replacement car? I can understand fully if you have or will if the car isn't fixed very quickly. Having learned the hard way, I can tell you that the longer you put up with a problematic car, the more the dealer and manufacturer will use it against you. If you encounter a lot of pushback, don't hesitate to enroll the help of a "Lemon Law" attorney. So sorry that you're going through this.
Old 01-25-22, 07:52 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by loyocg
I traveled from Wyoming to Boise to get my LE. Drove it to Utah to visit family with no issues and 400 miles added. The very next morning (today), I drove it to run a few errands and the CEL and parking assist malfunction lit up. Now it’s at the dealership in Utah with an apparent gasket and o2 sensor issue. Ironically, there was another 500LE currently up being serviced for the exact same issue. Now they have two side by side 500LE with this issue. Unfortunately mine has to wait for parts to be ordered and I’m stuck in Utah needing to get back to Wyoming to get kids back in school. Might have to get a rental car to get back home and who knows how the heck I’m gonna get my car back home to Wyoming after the fix. I doubt they will tow it over 500 miles to my home in Wyoming and if they do, what happen when my CEL come back and the nearest dealership is 300 miles away in Colorado? A little bitter being a new Lexus owner but hoping for some positive resolve.
It’s interesting how it’s almost always happened to out-of-towners. Do you know if it’s the gasket or the sensor?
Old 01-26-22, 04:21 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

AJinDFW - The problem is not something I have experienced as I don't own the car yet...I have been compiling various issues reported by others in a single thread to keep it accessible to all, luckily, moderators now will take on that role on my behalf.....The issue was reported by Jororo who is a member here, but not sure if he is considering the Lemon Law process.
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
AJinDFW (01-26-22), TGPCanada (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 06:40 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

We can assume that Lexus is on top of this issue ASAP. A tad disappointing given that the IS500 is slapped together using tried, tested, and proven technologies that have been in their vehicle lineup for several years.
Not sure what exactly is culprit with this one (bad parts supplier, Covid related plant production issues, etc.) , but let's hope they quickly provide the SOP for the fix and/or issue the necessary vehicle recall to get this all sorted.

Full confidence this will get sorted fairly soon as this is becoming widespread now.

Old 01-26-22, 07:04 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I agree, the more these issues pop up, the faster it will get resolved!! It's like a power outage, you want to make sure you are in an area that has lots of people affected by the grid to ensure they'll deploy their full assets. This bods better for Jororo who has been the one affected by this thing the longest....He was the first one to report the issue so hopefully, he'll get resolution soon too.

To all of you who have reported these issues, we are all appreciative that you also keep us informed and aware of the issue.
Old 01-26-22, 08:20 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Given the way this O2 Sensor code issue is trending i think the dealer tech that mentioned this fix will need to be done to all IS500 is probably spot on.
I think we can safety say a Service Bulletin is gonna be a minimum, if not an actual recall.
As this is emission related, I think the recall will come.
If NTHSA gets involved, then for sure it's gonna be a recall.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
Brandonfu (01-26-22), wthrman2 (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 09:49 AM
jg13219
8th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm new here and glad I found this thread on the forum to see that I am not alone. I got my IS500 LE on Saturday 1/15, and it's already in the shop for the same issues that Jororo has mentioned here. I got the Parking Brake Malfunction alert, and the 'Advanced Ultrasonic Detecting and Ranging System' alert as well. These alerts came on around ~440 miles but I made a semi-long drive and I'm now at 620 miles on the odometer.

The service advisor called me yesterday and told me that the gasket from the exhaust manifold to the Y pipe was going to be replaced. He didn't mention anything about oxygen sensors. Not sure how this will fix the PKSB alert? He said this was related to that but was going to follow up on that comment. Supposed to get my car back tomorrow so if you have any questions you'd like me to ask them let me know and I will keep you guys updated.
The following 2 users liked this post by jg13219:
arentz07 (01-26-22), wthrman2 (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 10:35 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by jg13219
Hi everyone, I'm new here and glad I found this thread on the forum to see that I am not alone. I got my IS500 LE on Saturday 1/15, and it's already in the shop for the same issues that Jororo has mentioned here. I got the Parking Brake Malfunction alert, and the 'Advanced Ultrasonic Detecting and Ranging System' alert as well. These alerts came on around ~440 miles but I made a semi-long drive and I'm now at 620 miles on the odometer.

The service advisor called me yesterday and told me that the gasket from the exhaust manifold to the Y pipe was going to be replaced. He didn't mention anything about oxygen sensors. Not sure how this will fix the PKSB alert? He said this was related to that but was going to follow up on that comment. Supposed to get my car back tomorrow so if you have any questions you'd like me to ask them let me know and I will keep you guys updated.
Welcome to the forum...sorry that the reason that brought you here isn't the best.

Just to comment on the service advisors comment, in certain situations specific codes in the vehicle will cause other, seemingly unrelated systems, to be disabled as a precautionary safety measure.
For instance an ABS code could trigger a CEL...but when you check the CEL code it simply states there is a malfunction in the ABS system...in reality there is no issue with the drivetrain (engine/tranny), yet you have a CEL.
When the ABS issue is corrected, then the CEL will go out on it's own...in most cases...or the code would just need to be cleared.
The following users liked this post:
jg13219 (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 10:36 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

Welcome! and thanks for posting and adding to the list of those affected.

Come on Lexus! Find the fix, standardize the procedure, and deploy across all dealers in N. America. Don't worry, you will keep selling a boat load of RX's, NX's, UX's in the meantime. LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
jg13219 (01-26-22), wthrman2 (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 10:56 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Yes unfortunately they (Lexus USA) are on a guided track… See my post# 18 & 31 in this thread..

The gaskets and flange alignment are the first inexpensive attempts… If there are bad O2 issues, that’s where it will become more costly for the warranty fixes..

Last but not least it can also be a software issue if the physical parts do not resolve the issue permanently..

Hoping they get to the bottom of this soon..

Joe Z
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Z:
jg13219 (01-26-22), wthrman2 (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 11:12 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

Thanks for the input I only have 100 miles once I put more miles on mine will keep you posted.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-26-22)

Quick Reply: IS 500 - CEL problem and update