IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 - CEL problem and update

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-22, 05:04 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by nmdjr
I took delivery of one yesterday and got the CEL within 4 miles of driving it. Dropped it off at a dealership this morning (got an IS300 awd as a loaner), by 4PM I got a call that the car is fixed and ready for me to pick-up. The work order stated 2 gaskets were replaced, the service manager also mentioned that it is not the 1st they have seen this problem. I hope the CEL stay away for good.

On a funny note, my daughter heard me saying that I was taking the car to the dealership for repairs. She said "Oh no, is this going to be like the Audi"?

edit:manufacture date on the car 01/22
tell her yes and because of that Santa can’t come this year. Unless she’s 18 or whenever kids stop believing in Santa
The following users liked this post:
topdunn (04-11-22)
Old 04-11-22, 05:07 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by nmdjr
On a funny note, my daughter heard me saying that I was taking the car to the dealership for repairs. She said "Oh no, is this going to be like the Audi"?

edit:manufacture date on the car 01/22
::gasp!:: Oh lord! 😂😂

Congrats on the quick fix!
nmdjr (04-12-22)
Old 04-11-22, 08:26 PM
fuddin
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

So my dealer simply "re-torqued" the exhaust but most of the fixes on this forum are gasket replacement. I showed this thread to my dealer when I dropped of the vehicle and I told them that gasket replacement seems to be the common fix. It's a bit unsettling to not get this fix for my vehicle. Should I be concerned?
Old 04-11-22, 08:49 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddin
So my dealer simply "re-torqued" the exhaust but most of the fixes on this forum are gasket replacement. I showed this thread to my dealer when I dropped of the vehicle and I told them that gasket replacement seems to be the common fix. It's a bit unsettling to not get this fix for my vehicle. Should I be concerned?
Lol this is exactly what I asked and @Joe Z said no, if it's fixed it's fixed.

I know what you're thinking, youre worried its overtightened and could cause damage. Same...
Brandonfu (04-12-22)
Old 04-11-22, 10:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by macmaster
Lol this is exactly what I asked and @Joe Z said no, if it's fixed it's fixed.

I know what you're thinking, youre worried its overtightened and could cause damage. Same...
If it’s not leaking / causing a CEL , then it’s “fixed”..

Could be short term or long term.. We all want to say permanently!!!

Clearly they are still taking this as a case by case basis with no official LSB as of yet..

Joe Z
Old 04-12-22, 04:34 AM
nmdjr
Rookie

Received 75 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
::gasp!:: Oh lord! 😂😂

Congrats on the quick fix!
Thank you! It was a bit too quick, I did not get a chance to enjoy the IS300 loaner :-). In sport mode, it accelerated like the A4 in normal mode, and the A4 ride was a lot better. Through the years, my family had its fair share of Japanese and German cars and I love them both for different reasons. German cars are like short-term relationships, the Japanese cars are long-term relationships is how best I can describe it. High maintenance vs low maintenance spouse/gf/bf/partner is another way I could put it :-). I hope this 500 proves true to its Japanese heritage.

DLPTony (04-12-22)
Old 04-24-22, 07:16 PM
JakeBains
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Got hit by this issue today at 65km mileage, just received my car yesterday here in the Toronto area! So bummed out. CEL and Parking Support Break Malfunction error.
What's the latest on this issue? Is it the exhaust gasket issue for everyone and is resolution just a replacement of the gasket?
Anyone in the Toronto area had this issue?

Thanks.
i am from Toronto - 600kms and having the same issue. Going to dealer tomorrow again after 02 sensor
Old 04-24-22, 09:35 PM
fuddin
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know what dealership you take it to and what the fix was.
Also, what was the issue and fix with the O2 sensor ?
Old 04-24-22, 09:44 PM
JakeBains
Driver School Candidate

Let us know what dealership you take it to and what the fix was.
Also, what was the issue and fix with the O2 sensor ?
Lexus Downtown - they believed it was the 02 sensor- clearly it wasn’t lol because after that, same thing happened.

Taking it tomorrow for the 5th checkup
Old 04-25-22, 03:52 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ It annoys me when dealers ignore what seems to be an easy fix - I know they have to follow what Lexus Canada tells them to try but why not start with the easiest/cheapest fix and go from there. It's as though Lexus Canada and Lexus USA are not even sharing knowledge about what they find, like seriously, this is so annoying that customers have to put up with this back-and-forth to the dealer when listening to what we tell them could avoid this.
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
DLPTony (04-25-22), topdunn (04-25-22)
Old 04-25-22, 10:19 AM
JakeBains
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ It annoys me when dealers ignore what seems to be an easy fix - I know they have to follow what Lexus Canada tells them to try but why not start with the easiest/cheapest fix and go from there. It's as though Lexus Canada and Lexus USA are not even sharing knowledge about what they find, like seriously, this is so annoying that customers have to put up with this back-and-forth to the dealer when listening to what we tell them could avoid this.
ok folks - my dealer found the common issue which is the gasket, 3 weeks to get the part.

Left side and right side need replacement

The following 3 users liked this post by JakeBains:
Carolina50 (04-25-22), DLPTony (04-25-22), wthrman2 (04-25-22)
Old 04-25-22, 12:20 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JakeBains
ok folks - my dealer found the common issue which is the gasket, 3 weeks to get the part
Hence why i have pre ordered the parts and have it on hand in case it happens...
DLPTony (04-25-22)
Old 04-26-22, 04:29 AM
nmdjr
Rookie

Received 75 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeBains
ok folks - my dealer found the common issue which is the gasket, 3 weeks to get the part.
Sorry to hear that you have to wait 3 weeks. I don't know where you are at and how the supply chain is in your location but I would call that BS. I had the same issue (gaskets) with mine and they had it fixed in half a day, I was even bummed that I did not get to enjoy the loaner they gave me. I looked into buying the gaskets before taking delivery of the car (got the idea from wthrman2) but when I inquired around 3 dealerships in my area they all have it in stock and decided not to buy it.

I hope you get yours fixed a lot sooner than 3 weeks.

Last edited by nmdjr; 04-26-22 at 04:31 AM. Reason: spelling
DLPTony (04-26-22)
Old 04-26-22, 06:53 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Yeah, I know that some dealers had some parts on hand while some don't - If you live somewhere with a larger dealer network, chances are there is a better chance of getting some parts available but waiting 3 weeks is not out of norm. There was a guy in Vancouver (David) who bought an IS 500 and he does car review and even his unit had the same problem and had to wait for weeks to get the gasket. Sure, it is not a deal breaker to have to wait as the car is sill drivable but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of potentially having to go to the dealer twice as I live about 1h from the closest dealer and this way, for 30$, I have the peace of mind to have the part when I need it So far so good though but I am still early into the break in period with only 450 km on the odometer.
Old 04-26-22, 07:45 AM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Received 316 Likes on 122 Posts

So last week I had the APEXi catback installed. After a couple days, I got a CEL that indicated and engine control issue and sonar issue. Knowing about the exhaust gasket issue I looked a saw that the shop had used the APEXi gaskets on the mid pipe to header gasket. I thought about it and decided to replace the APEXi gaskets with the stock gaskets that I kept from the APEXi install.
After re-installing the stock gaskets, I cleared the CEL and haven’t had it come back yet.
if you’re getting g this CEL, tighten or change the gaskets at the header/mid pipe.
I bought 2 new gaskets just in case there’s an issue going forward with the-using the originals.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fman2118:
macmaster (04-26-22), wthrman2 (04-26-22)

Quick Reply: IS 500 - CEL problem and update