IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Winter Performance for IS500?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-23 | 07:50 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Originally Posted by karlid
I have the IS500 launch. The absolute worst in the snow and ice/slush. I couldn't even get up a slight incline in my driveway (tires just spin). I am going to look into winter tires. Seeking suggestions! Thanks.
It's a RWD, nearly 500 HP car that comes stock with summer tires. What did you expect?

This thread is full of recommendations. Maybe try reading it?
Old 01-30-23 | 07:51 AM
karlid
10th Gear

It was a response to a question that was asked and I asked for suggestions.. not a ******** reply. smh
Old 01-30-23 | 07:52 AM
karlid
10th Gear

I am reading it. Thanks for your kind response. Appreciated.
Old 01-30-23 | 07:53 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

It was a response to a question that was asked and I asked for suggestions.. not a ******** reply. smh
Actually read the thread then. Lots of info in here. The IS500 is perfectly fine in winter if you have winter tires. No vehicle will perform well in the winter on summer tires.
Old 01-30-23 | 07:55 AM
Bechtold
Instructor

Honestly I would talk with someone from the Tire rack. You can go over with them what works, etc. I talked to them in the past when getting winter tires for my Subaru many years ago and they were great plus they are in your home state! They are quite familiar with performance RWD vehicles and winter tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir...now/tires.html
The following users liked this post:
karlid (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23 | 07:58 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bechtold
Honestly I would talk with someone from the Tire rack. You can go over with them what works, etc. I talked to them in the past when getting winter tires for my Subaru many years ago and they were great plus they are in your home state! They are quite familiar with performance RWD vehicles and winter tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir...now/tires.html
Tirerack is a good resource. They do and post a lot of testing. You can't go wrong with any of the big name tires.
Old 01-30-23 | 08:00 AM
karlid
10th Gear

I literally just found this forum. I am not some gearhead and never had to worry about changing out tires before. Just a gal looking for advice for the first time on a Lexus forum. Thank you for being so welcoming!
Old 01-30-23 | 08:00 AM
karlid
10th Gear

Thank you!! Appreciate the advice
Old 01-30-23 | 08:03 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

I literally just found this forum. I am not some gearhead and never had to worry about changing out tires before. Just a gal looking for advice for the first time on a Lexus forum. Thank you for being so welcoming!
There are a lot of abrasive people here. Small people with big engines. Don't worry.
Old 01-30-23 | 08:05 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Originally Posted by macmaster
There are a lot of abrasive people here. Small people with big engines. Don't worry.
Not sure if you're trying to be ironic, sarcastic or chaotic...
Old 01-30-23 | 08:05 AM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

Pretty sure you can count yourself in that category, bub. But I'll just leave that there.
Old 01-30-23 | 08:07 AM
karlid
10th Gear

geesh I guess!
lol.. small people with big engines.
Old 01-30-23 | 08:08 AM
Bechtold
Instructor

Still, it could be worse... Twitter, facebook, etc. are such a joy. /sarcasm

Karlid, what part of Indiana are you in? When I lived in Chicagoland I visited my friends in South Bend which was ground zero for lake effect snow. It could be fine in the whole state but South Bend would get dumped on. I live in Texas now so the state as a whole is not prepared for any snow or ice.
karlid (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23 | 08:24 AM
karlid
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Bechtold
Still, it could be worse... Twitter, facebook, etc. are such a joy. /sarcasm

Karlid, what part of Indiana are you in? When I lived in Chicagoland I visited my friends in South Bend which was ground zero for lake effect snow. It could be fine in the whole state but South Bend would get dumped on. I live in Texas now so the state as a whole is not prepared for any snow or ice.
I am in Carmel, IN. We don't get the lake effect thankfully! Regardless, I am finding it difficult to navigate even in light snow. As stated before, I've never had to switch out tires before. I didn't know my tires were summer tires! ugh. But.. hey I know now due to lots of smartass comments
Old 01-30-23 | 08:29 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

I am in Carmel, IN. We don't get the lake effect thankfully! Regardless, I am finding it difficult to navigate even in light snow. As stated before, I've never had to switch out tires before. I didn't know my tires were summer tires! ugh. But.. hey I know now due to lots of smartass comments
Mate/lady, you bought a what, $60,000+ car and by your own admission, had no idea it came with summer tires. Maybe cut the attitude given you apparently know very little about the car you bought. That's OK, but packaging it with a thin-skinned/rude attitude doesn't make people want to help you.
Kimchiguy (01-30-23)

Quick Reply: Winter Performance for IS500?