IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Winter Performance for IS500?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-23, 08:30 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

Both of my IS500's were stored during the winter. No need to drive it since I have a Highlander as a DD.
Old 01-30-23, 08:37 AM
karlid
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
Mate/lady, you bought a what, $60,000+ car and by your own admission, had no idea it came with summer tires. Maybe cut the attitude given you apparently know very little about the car you bought. That's OK, but packaging it with a thin-skinned/rude attitude doesn't make people want to help you.
lol.. I am being rude? I didn't realize anyone was still talking to you?

It was $80k btw.

Have a great day. I have better things to do (I am gainfully employed) not a professional forum stalker that prob spent their every penny on a car. Aren't you supposed to be driving electric in CA anyway?
The following users liked this post:
macmaster (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 08:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Knock off the personal comments folks and be polite or don’t post. Let’s get back on topic
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
Bechtold (01-30-23), karlid (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 08:43 AM
Bechtold
Advanced

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by karlid
I am in Carmel, IN. We don't get the lake effect thankfully! Regardless, I am finding it difficult to navigate even in light snow. As stated before, I've never had to switch out tires before. I didn't know my tires were summer tires! ugh. But.. hey I know now due to lots of smartass comments
Ahh yes the Indy area. Been there a few times in the past.

Yes you have summer tires and they are honestly not happy below freezing even without precipitation.

You could try a better Michelin or Continental all season tire and be OK in the snow but I will say that if you get another set of wheels with dedicated snow tires you will be very happy with how your car performs. Then when the stock tires go you can also replace them because they are nothing special. Lexus like many car companies seem to put tires that seem to be "just ok" to sometime "good for only holding air". The stock tires on my wife's 2013 IS 350 sucked in the rain on a warm day. They also sucked at u-turns on a summer day. Same for my 2018 IS 350 F-Sport. I switched at the time to a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and also the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus and both were superior in every way over the Bridgestone stock tires I had. The Continental's also got to be driven here in Texas with a few inches of snow and were fine. If I was in Indiana I'd probably get snow tires just because you get more snow than I do in Texas.
karlid (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 08:59 AM
karlid
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Bechtold
Ahh yes the Indy area. Been there a few times in the past.

Yes you have summer tires and they are honestly not happy below freezing even without precipitation.

You could try a better Michelin or Continental all season tire and be OK in the snow but I will say that if you get another set of wheels with dedicated snow tires you will be very happy with how your car performs. Then when the stock tires go you can also replace them because they are nothing special. Lexus like many car companies seem to put tires that seem to be "just ok" to sometime "good for only holding air". The stock tires on my wife's 2013 IS 350 sucked in the rain on a warm day. They also sucked at u-turns on a summer day. Same for my 2018 IS 350 F-Sport. I switched at the time to a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and also the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus and both were superior in every way over the Bridgestone stock tires I had. The Continental's also got to be driven here in Texas with a few inches of snow and were fine. If I was in Indiana I'd probably get snow tires just because you get more snow than I do in Texas.
I appreciate your advice! Thank you Thank you!
I just left a message with my Lexus dealer.
My boyfriend drives a Trackhawk - so I'll be catching a ride with him until I get these snow tires!

Saw on the news that TX is expecting ice. Be safe!
Old 01-30-23, 09:27 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 831 Likes on 404 Posts

I have the IS500 launch. The absolute worst in the snow and ice/slush. I couldn't even get up a slight incline in my driveway (tires just spin). I am going to look into winter tires. Seeking suggestions! Thanks.
The issue is not the car, but the tires.
Blizzaks have no issues in this car. Even all seasons would probably work for you.

Last edited by Answer; 01-30-23 at 09:31 AM.
karlid (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 09:49 AM
karlid
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Answer
Blizzaks have no issues in this car. Even all seasons would probably work for you.
Thank you! Appreciate the advice.
Someone at work just recommended Blizzaks. I have a call into my Lexus dealer.. Hopefully get some winter tires SOON!
Old 01-30-23, 09:58 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Answer
Listen to this guy please. He lives in Quebec, probably the most snowed on region in all of N. America.
We've had little to no snow/ice so far in S. Ontario . Why do I need snow tires again? Just kidding! LOL.
The following 3 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
Answer (01-30-23), karlid (01-30-23), wthrman2 (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 10:28 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

karlig - I agree with TGPCanada - Answer has had his LE for about a year now and has a square tire set up and has had no issues and he lives in a very snowy area (I do too but mine is garaged all winter). To me, the two brands I go with are the Michelin X Ice or Bridgestone Blizzaks. Bottom line, winter tires will greatly help but the rear-wheel biased and the fact it has a lot of HP means that you will still need to be cautious on snow/ice covered road since the weight will not be where the wheels have the traction/propulsion but you will be in a much better situation than the summer tires currently on, I drove my car in December when it was around 28F and I didn't feel safe despite being dry so yeah, don't drive your IS 500 in winter conditions without proper tirs And welcome to the forum...
karlid (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 10:42 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

I spend most of my time between Carmel, Indiana and Chicago. Nice to see another is500 close by!

I got my car on December 16th and winter tires were immediately put on. Still not a great car in the winter by any means, but the pirelli winters have basically given me zero issues in the winter we have so far

lol.. I am being rude? I didn't realize anyone was still talking to you?

It was $80k btw.

Have a great day. I have better things to do (I am gainfully employed) not a professional forum stalker that prob spent their every penny on a car. Aren't you supposed to be driving electric in CA anyway?
karlid (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 10:46 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Listen to this guy please. He lives in Quebec, probably the most snowed on region in all of N. America.
We've had little to no snow/ice so far in S. Ontario . Why do I need snow tires again? Just kidding! LOL.
I am in Michigan across from Windsor Ontario my area gets hit too with snow. Plus the lake affect suck too.
Old 01-30-23, 10:49 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
*Laughs in Albertan*
Answer (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 10:59 AM
Bechtold
Advanced

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

I had either a Blizzak or I think a Dunlop snow tire back in the day. I would bet they are even better today. Good all season versus snow tire is different for sure. You know when you hit the brakes normally but that last inch or two the ABS kicks in at the very end before you are completely stopped on snow or ice? When I switched from the good all season tires to the snow tires, the ABS never kicked in at the end. They had more grip and the car stopped with no protest at all. Now my car was AWD but that would not affect the braking only acceleration. In the snow tires my car would do exactly what I wanted in a few inches of snow with no issue.
karlid (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 11:25 AM
karlid
10th Gear

Originally Posted by wthrman2
karlig - I agree with TGPCanada - Answer has had his LE for about a year now and has a square tire set up and has had no issues and he lives in a very snowy area (I do too but mine is garaged all winter). To me, the two brands I go with are the Michelin X Ice or Bridgestone Blizzaks. Bottom line, winter tires will greatly help but the rear-wheel biased and the fact it has a lot of HP means that you will still need to be cautious on snow/ice covered road since the weight will not be where the wheels have the traction/propulsion but you will be in a much better situation than the summer tires currently on, I drove my car in December when it was around 28F and I didn't feel safe despite being dry so yeah, don't drive your IS 500 in winter conditions without proper tirs And welcome to the forum...
Thank you so much! Looking into the Blizzaks for sure! Here is another dumb question.. that I will probably get made fun of for
Do I need to change out the rims, too? (I have the launch edition rims).
Thank you for the nice welcome to the Lexus forum
I am on my 4th Lexus (I've owned 2 RX350 and an AWD IS before - hence no need to really switch out tires)!
Old 01-30-23, 11:27 AM
karlid
10th Gear

Originally Posted by vpar23
I spend most of my time between Carmel, Indiana and Chicago. Nice to see another is500 close by!

I got my car on December 16th and winter tires were immediately put on. Still not a great car in the winter by any means, but the pirelli winters have basically given me zero issues in the winter we have so far
I have yet to see another IS500 on the road!! I don't travel much outside of Carmel, though.
I lovvve mine.. (except for when it snows)..

Quick Reply: Winter Performance for IS500?