IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Washing IS500 spindle grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-22, 08:08 AM
giS
Intermediate

Received 670 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Jesus man this link redirected me like 5 times. How much commission are you making off this?
Lol none man I promise
Old 02-06-22, 08:14 AM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I washed my car today and the leaf blower got the grille 100% dry. Even the black trim along the bottom looked great. The water does not come off the paint easily until you get it waxed, though.

I have done a ceramic myself with Adams and with Carpro cquartz. I like the Adams a little more because it can go on trim and it keeps the black trim on our RX looking brand new. If you top it with the ceramic boost every couple washes the ceramic lasts a long time. The Carpro cquartz on my ES was still going strong after 2.5 years and the Adams is still going strong after 2 years. Water sheets right off and what doesn't sheet off dang near jumps off the car when I leaf blow it after a wash. I just use a cheap black & decker electric blower and it works like a champ. Plus everything washes easily too, like bugs and grime.

It is a lot of up front work which pays off over time and keeps the paint looking brand new.
Yeah I'm not knocking the prosumer stuff at all. People easily get years out of them with proper maintenance. I like to detail my car, but paint correction and prep has been an area I leave to the pros. I guess in my thinking you should only have to do it once or twice over the ownership of the car and they are much better than I am.
Old 02-06-22, 11:24 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by zman21
Yeah I'm not knocking the prosumer stuff at all. People easily get years out of them with proper maintenance. I like to detail my car, but paint correction and prep has been an area I leave to the pros. I guess in my thinking you should only have to do it once or twice over the ownership of the car and they are much better than I am.
Totally understandable. I am capable of doing it so I save the money and do it myself

BTW, our white pearl RX did not require paint correction. My Atomic Silver ES also did not require it, but I did polish it just to do it. My USB IS does require paint correction, I noticed swirls in the paint on my first wash which I'm 99% sure I didn't do. Adams makes a "hand revive" polish that you put on obviously by hand and it's damn near impossible to mess up your paint with it. It will remove minor swirl marks and make the paint ready for a ceramic.

It really all comes down to whether you want to give something a try yourself or pay somebody to do it I think most are capable of doing a ceramic, they're pretty easy these days.
Old 02-06-22, 11:28 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Totally understandable. I am capable of doing it so I save the money and do it myself

BTW, our white pearl RX did not require paint correction. My Atomic Silver ES also did not require it, but I did polish it just to do it. My USB IS does require paint correction, I noticed swirls in the paint on my first wash which I'm 99% sure I didn't do. Adams makes a "hand revive" polish that you put on obviously by hand and it's damn near impossible to mess up your paint with it. It will remove minor swirl marks and make the paint ready for a ceramic.

It really all comes down to whether you want to give something a try yourself or pay somebody to do it I think most are capable of doing a ceramic, they're pretty easy these days.
I will say, I have experience detailing and polishing with a DA Orbiter but I had never done a true 9H ceramic coat. I bought the Chemical Guys Carbon Force and I did all the proper prep work and I even finished applying it at night with a bunch of LED spot lights (don’t ask me why lol) and it turned out flawless. I had a couple minor high spots but I was able to lower the high spots with Chemical Guys V38 and it’s flawless now. Truthfully anyone can do it. And it makes washing the car so much easier. Adding to that, I too did not have to do any paint correction on my Caviar paint. It was flawless. It’s possible that your USB was damaged by the detailing team at the dealer. I asked my dealer to not wash my car in order to avoid that.
Old 02-06-22, 11:39 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

USB is notoriously bad for swirl marks. I instantly noticed a ton of swirl marks at the dealership when my car was brand new.
Old 02-07-22, 08:21 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
USB is notoriously bad for swirl marks. I instantly noticed a ton of swirl marks at the dealership when my car was brand new.
Off topic, but it seems vibrant blue metallic colors in general are bad for swirls... Our 330i in blue is swirled pretty badly. Dealership washed it one time, and boom, swirls everywhere. I just have to ignore them.

The gloss-black parts of the IS are prone to swirls as well - possibly including the grille. As for the Iridium paint, I have been through a couple of cheap car washes and haven't found any swirls yet. Silver ftw.
Old 02-07-22, 08:24 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Off topic, but it seems vibrant blue metallic colors in general are bad for swirls... Our 330i in blue is swirled pretty badly. Dealership washed it one time, and boom, swirls everywhere. I just have to ignore them.

The gloss-black parts of the IS are prone to swirls as well - possibly including the grille. As for the Iridium paint, I have been through a couple of cheap car washes and haven't found any swirls yet. Silver ftw.
Yeah your iridium should look brand new in 20 years.
You're right about the black gloss. I already have some scratches or swirls in my side mirrors. Don't know how that happened.
Old 02-07-22, 05:23 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

^^ I have said before but for minor swirls on the mirror caps, I have used Mother's Step 2 (micropolishing glaze) and it removes it all....
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
arentz07 (02-07-22), macmaster (02-07-22)
Old 02-09-22, 09:43 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,201 Likes on 357 Posts

Any of you guys use chemical guys products like soap? I used their soap on my previous vehicles.
Old 02-09-22, 10:16 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by Moonman89
Any of you guys use chemical guys products like soap? I used their soap on my previous vehicles.
I'm currently using their Mr. Pink but I don't plan on using it again. It does not remotely create suds like they claim it does. Also, stay clear of their clay luber. I used it to prep my car for ceramic coat and dried it to the best of my abilities, but some of it got into some cracks in the bumpers, and at night when you shine a flashlight at it you can see the blue dye of the chemical. I've tried so many products to remove it, but it doesn't come off. Luckily, I don't shine a flashlight at it at night so idc. So far the only products that ive been like "wow!" has been the meticulous matte detailer for the BBS wheels, and the diablo gel wheel cleaner. Their ceramic coating is good too. Aside from that, my experience with their products has been overhyped.
Old 02-09-22, 05:43 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
.. their Mr. Pink....their clay luber. ...a flashligh
I haven't used Chemical guy products but I have heard mixed reviews on their products. I have always kept to somewhat basic suppliers and always had good outcome with car detailing. In the end, the key is to stay on top of it and not let the car get to a point where you have lost control. Truth be told however, I do enjoy detailing so that is half the battle right there IMO. But macmaster, I agree the front grill can be a task and a half to clean, especially when bugs get in the nooks but that I always fire up my pressure washer (for the grill only) when they are fresh and it comes off super easy and then air dry it as best as I can.

Tipsy - did you accidentally order from a wrong catalog?!?!
The following users liked this post:
TipsyTonio (02-10-22)
Old 02-09-22, 07:12 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonman89
I have tried several. The only one I purchased twice is their tire shine.
Old 02-09-22, 07:41 PM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

Can't go wrong with Meg's Gold Class. I've used Meg's HyperWash with a foam cannon for a few years. Works great, also extremely economical. I'm still on the same $30, 1 gallon jug I got 3 years ago.

Anyone who offers coatings also seems to have a wash product that is supposed to work "together" with their coating. I'm going with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra coating this time around, so I'm going to try out their G Wash for maintenance cleaning after the coating is applied. Goes in this weekend to start the PPF/tint/coating process, I'm excited.

Old 02-09-22, 11:41 PM
GeoFSPORT
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

I second gold class as well. Ph-neutral and non- aggressive so it won't strip away any sealants/wax you may have.

Chemical guys, I've used a handful of their products, but i also have seen mixed reviews in the detailing communities. Their product line is way too excessive as well, which doesn't make finding the "best" application easy.
Old 02-10-22, 04:48 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by GeoFSPORT
I second gold class as well. Ph-neutral and non- aggressive so it won't strip away any sealants/wax you may have.

Chemical guys, I've used a handful of their products, but i also have seen mixed reviews in the detailing communities. Their product line is way too excessive as well, which doesn't make finding the "best" application easy.
I’ve been wanting to use Gold Class on my ceramic coated vehicle, but when you check the safety data for it, it is actually at an 8.5 pH so it’s actually basic. Gas your experience been on a ceramic Coated vehicle? Their Ultimate Wash and Wax is at a 7.5 so it closer to neutral, and I’ve used it before on my old car and I love it. But supposedlyyyyy I shouldn’t use a wash and wax soap on a ceramic coated car? And im considering switching to a foam cannon and it doesn’t foam as much as Mr Pink or Gold Class. Gold Class supposedly has some gloss polymers? Im curious what your experiences have been. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Washing IS500 spindle grill