IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Washing IS500 spindle grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 07:01 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
I’ve been wanting to use Gold Class on my ceramic coated vehicle, but when you check the safety data for it, it is actually at an 8.5 pH so it’s actually basic. Gas your experience been on a ceramic Coated vehicle? Their Ultimate Wash and Wax is at a 7.5 so it closer to neutral, and I’ve used it before on my old car and I love it. But supposedlyyyyy I shouldn’t use a wash and wax soap on a ceramic coated car? And im considering switching to a foam cannon and it doesn’t foam as much as Mr Pink or Gold Class. Gold Class supposedly has some gloss polymers? Im curious what your experiences have been. Thanks in advance
Adam's car shampoo has foamed the best for me in my foam cannon. It lays on super thick.. Thats the soap I always end up going back to so now I buy gallons at a time. I use it for the foam cannon or regular bucket washes and it works great. Doesn't eat off my ceramic either.

I also really like their tire and rubber cleaner. The amount of grime it gets off is crazy! Their leather conditioner is also top notch. I have applied it monthly to our Parchment interior RX and it still looks 95% brand new after 5 years. No stains and just a couple small wrinkles on the driver seat.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (02-10-22)
Old 02-10-22, 12:30 PM
GeoFSPORT
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

I’ve been wanting to use Gold Class on my ceramic coated vehicle, but when you check the safety data for it, it is actually at an 8.5 pH so it’s actually basic. Gas your experience been on a ceramic Coated vehicle? Their Ultimate Wash and Wax is at a 7.5 so it closer to neutral, and I’ve used it before on my old car and I love it. But supposedlyyyyy I shouldn’t use a wash and wax soap on a ceramic coated car? And im considering switching to a foam cannon and it doesn’t foam as much as Mr Pink or Gold Class. Gold Class supposedly has some gloss polymers? Im curious what your experiences have been. Thanks in advance
That's odd - can't trust any labels or marketing anymore. With that said I've read since you are diluting it in a ton of water, it should be fine and good amount of other products are in that ph range. I always made sure to follow 1 ounce directions so the solution isn't too aggressive.

My prior m240i was ceramic coated from the dealership, however I'd bet they used a cheap consumer grade product. I didn't notice the gold class stripping it fwiw.
TipsyTonio (02-10-22)
Old 02-10-22, 07:11 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoFSPORT
That's odd - can't trust any labels or marketing anymore. With that said I've read since you are diluting it in a ton of water, it should be fine and good amount of other products are in that ph range. I always made sure to follow 1 ounce directions so the solution isn't too aggressive.

My prior m240i was ceramic coated from the dealership, however I'd bet they used a cheap consumer grade product. I didn't notice the gold class stripping it fwiw.
Hmm that’s good that your M240i wasn’t phased by it. Truthfully I might give it a shot. The way I see it, given that it is barely basic (a basic pH can be as high as 14, and given that it is really only on the surface for 10-15 minutes at most, I really doubt it can do much damage. But what do I know. I should probably ask my dad who is a chemist, but he’s one of those people that only sees cars as transportation from point A to B and he thinks I’m crazy for detailing my car as muchas I do lol
Old 02-10-22, 11:11 PM
GeoFSPORT
Driver

Hmm that’s good that your M240i wasn’t phased by it. Truthfully I might give it a shot. The way I see it, given that it is barely basic (a basic pH can be as high as 14, and given that it is really only on the surface for 10-15 minutes at most, I really doubt it can do much damage. But what do I know. I should probably ask my dad who is a chemist, but he’s one of those people that only sees cars as transportation from point A to B and he thinks I’m crazy for detailing my car as muchas I do lol
Different strokes for different folks for sure lol. I won't pretend I'm an expert either. I was reading that it needs some basic attributes to lift up the road grime, and if it was a major issue the products would come with a ph test since water quality would play just as big of a role. It helps that gold class is widely available and cheap. Meg's hyper wash was mentioned quite a bit along with optimum car wash for coated vehicles, so those might be worth checking out.
Old 02-11-22, 05:12 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Different strokes for different folks for sure lol. I won't pretend I'm an expert either. I was reading that it needs some basic attributes to lift up the road grime, and if it was a major issue the products would come with a ph test since water quality would play just as big of a role. It helps that gold class is widely available and cheap. Meg's hyper wash was mentioned quite a bit along with optimum car wash for coated vehicles, so those might be worth checking out.
Yeah totally agree. Who knows how the hell our water is lol. I have heard about hyperwash and I looked into getting it at my local harbor freight, but it's even more basic at a 9.5 pH level. Although I will say this, and once again, no chemical background on this whatsoever. I suppose that a basic solution is better for the paint than an acidic solution?
Old 02-11-22, 09:51 AM
GeoFSPORT
Driver

Yeah totally agree. Who knows how the hell our water is lol. I have heard about hyperwash and I looked into getting it at my local harbor freight, but it's even more basic at a 9.5 pH level. Although I will say this, and once again, no chemical background on this whatsoever. I suppose that a basic solution is better for the paint than an acidic solution?
I keep seeing that those msds ph levels are at full concentration, and also hyper wash has a higher dilution ratio of 400:1 or 1 oz per 5 gal. Gold Class is 1 oz per 1 gal for comparison.
Old 02-11-22, 10:01 AM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

I keep seeing that those msds ph levels are at full concentration, and also hyper wash has a higher dilution ratio of 400:1 or 1 oz per 5 gal. Gold Class is 1 oz per 1 gal for comparison.
I used hyperwash for 2 years on a ceramic coated car specifically because of the high dilution ratio. I needed like barely any with a foam cannon to get excellent foam. I guess I your mileage might vary but the coating still sheeted water like the first day and it was only supposed to be a 3 year coating.
GeoFSPORT (02-11-22)
Old 02-11-22, 12:30 PM
GeoFSPORT
Driver

Originally Posted by zman21
I used hyperwash for 2 years on a ceramic coated car specifically because of the high dilution ratio. I needed like barely any with a foam cannon to get excellent foam. I guess I your mileage might vary but the coating still sheeted water like the first day and it was only supposed to be a 3 year coating.
Thanks for the account. I'm leaning on a bottle of this since my gold class is almost empty.