IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Washing IS500 spindle grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-22, 10:28 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Default Washing IS500 spindle grill

Has anybody washed their car and tried drying the L-spindle grille? I didn't dry it well enough at the time. Man, talk about some tough hard water stains!
Old 02-05-22, 01:26 AM
giS
Intermediate

Received 670 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Has anybody washed their car and tried drying the L-spindle grille? I didn't dry it well enough at the time. Man, talk about some tough hard water stains!

attach this to your water hose when washing car. Never have hard water spots again.

Marine water filter
The following 2 users liked this post by giS:
Kanpai (02-05-22), macmaster (02-05-22)
Old 02-05-22, 07:25 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

I use a leaf blower

Once the car is wax/sealed/ceramic/whatever you want to do to it, a leaf blower works to "touch free" dry to whole car. Then I use detail spray to get any spots that dried on there. If there isn't anything on the paint to repel water then the leaf blower doesn't work very well. It will still work great to dry the wheels and grille though.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-05-22 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Split thread
The following users liked this post:
TipsyTonio (02-05-22)
Old 02-05-22, 09:51 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

I use a leaf blower too and it doesn’t blow off the water 100%. It more pushes it around and disperses it in the air making it easier to dry with a towel. But at the time my car wasn’t waxed so maybe I’ll see improvement drying with a leaf blower next time now that it’s waxed.

Back to the spindle grille - I didn’t wax the spindle grille, and I was more referring to the way the water just sits and puddles in between the L’s. The hose filter seems interesting. I think I just need to hand dry it better next time, but it’s a huge time sink.
Old 02-05-22, 11:37 AM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought ceramic coating was a gimmick until I got it on my last car. Total game changer if you like to wash your car and keep it looking nice. As long as you get one of the professional grade coatings applied by a good detailer, like the 5+ year stuff. It's honestly amazing. There are a bunch of prosumer versions that are like $80-90 per bottle online, but you have to be confident in your prep skills to get anything out of it, plus they only last a few years.

The high power leaf blower technique works amazing with a good coating. I hardly have to touch the paint. Just wipe off a few crevices basically.
macmaster (02-05-22)
Old 02-05-22, 01:57 PM
GeoFSPORT
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by giS
attach this to your water hose when washing car. Never have hard water spots again.

Marine water filter
About how many washes before you need a new filter?
Old 02-05-22, 02:03 PM
GeoFSPORT
Driver

I use a leaf blower too and it doesn’t blow off the water 100%. It more pushes it around and disperses it in the air making it easier to dry with a towel. But at the time my car wasn’t waxed so maybe I’ll see improvement drying with a leaf blower next time now that it’s waxed.

Back to the spindle grille - I didn’t wax the spindle grille, and I was more referring to the way the water just sits and puddles in between the L’s. The hose filter seems interesting. I think I just need to hand dry it better next time, but it’s a huge time sink.
I use the below and it works well on my ttrs honeycomb grill along with crevices and cracks like inside the mirror, head/Taillights, and where body panels meet. It's a ton better than a leaf blower since it's a more powerful and focused air stream. They make a bigger version to dry the actual car too.

Air Force Blaster Sidekick small vehicle or motorcycle air dryer Metro Vacuum Made in USA
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-05-22, 02:35 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by giS

Marine water filter
Jesus man this link redirected me like 5 times. How much commission are you making off this?
giS (02-06-22)
Old 02-05-22, 03:10 PM
GeoFSPORT
Driver

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Jesus man this link redirected me like 5 times. How much commission are you making off this?
Weird, it took me straight to the page but i have a good blocker in brave browser. Amazon link is below:

Waterdrop RV Inline Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector, NSF Certified, Reduces Chlorine, Bad Taste, Odor, Rust, Corrosion, Sediments and Turbidity, Dedicated for RVs, 1 Pack
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-05-22, 03:34 PM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,185 Likes on 350 Posts

Just curious if any of you plan on getting a Clear-Bra for the front bumper I was quoted $800 from a local reputable shop that will use xpel.
Old 02-05-22, 03:42 PM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonman89
Just curious if any of you plan on getting a Clear-Bra for the front bumper I was quoted $800 from a local reputable shop that will use xpel.
Seems reasonable for just the bumper.

I'm doing full front protection. Full hood, front fenders, mirrors, and bumper. $2,000 for a lifetime film.
Old 02-05-22, 03:51 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

I washed my car today and the leaf blower got the grille 100% dry. Even the black trim along the bottom looked great. The water does not come off the paint easily until you get it waxed, though.
Originally Posted by zman21
I thought ceramic coating was a gimmick until I got it on my last car. Total game changer if you like to wash your car and keep it looking nice. As long as you get one of the professional grade coatings applied by a good detailer, like the 5+ year stuff. It's honestly amazing. There are a bunch of prosumer versions that are like $80-90 per bottle online, but you have to be confident in your prep skills to get anything out of it, plus they only last a few years.

The high power leaf blower technique works amazing with a good coating. I hardly have to touch the paint. Just wipe off a few crevices basically.
I have done a ceramic myself with Adams and with Carpro cquartz. I like the Adams a little more because it can go on trim and it keeps the black trim on our RX looking brand new. If you top it with the ceramic boost every couple washes the ceramic lasts a long time. The Carpro cquartz on my ES was still going strong after 2.5 years and the Adams is still going strong after 2 years. Water sheets right off and what doesn't sheet off dang near jumps off the car when I leaf blow it after a wash. I just use a cheap black & decker electric blower and it works like a champ. Plus everything washes easily too, like bugs and grime.

It is a lot of up front work which pays off over time and keeps the paint looking brand new.
Old 02-05-22, 05:46 PM
giS
Intermediate

Received 670 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoFSPORT
About how many washes before you need a new filter?
I usually change it every 30 washes.
GeoFSPORT (02-05-22)
Old 02-05-22, 05:49 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

I use a pressure washer (PW) for my grill and air dry it to avoid any spots. I am lucky that I am on well water (not city) and that my water is super soft so I have no spotting issues but I usually use my PW every 2 weeks or so to remove bugs although I seldom drive at night or at a time bugs are prevalent so it's never too bad but that is the downfall of the spindle grill, lots of nooks and crannies to clean
Old 02-05-22, 05:56 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Thanks guys. I think I just have to pay attention to drying it next time. Not rocket science. The spindle grille on my CT is a lot more forgiving. The newer L spindles + gloss black is just a high maintenance combo.
wthrman2 (02-05-22)

Quick Reply: Washing IS500 spindle grill