IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

C&D Lightning Lap 2022: 3:04.9 - IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-22, 06:05 AM
Carolina50
Intermediate

Received 615 Likes on 309 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Carolina50:
arentz07 (02-09-22), DLPTony (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 06:45 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,077 Likes on 1,891 Posts

^^^ Oooh! Let me put myself on Teams Busy. 😜
The following users liked this post:
Carolina50 (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 07:53 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Love to hear David's thoughts on the performance, especially how he thinks all it would take to catch up with an RC F Track Edition (stock, anyway) would be some better brakes and tires. Too bad about the transmission though. I hope it'll be fine on the street with spirited driving.
Old 02-09-22, 09:13 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
If equipped, yes. I would imagine the ones being tested had the TVD (torque vectoring diff). The base models have the same diff (torsen limited slip diff).
The GSF had only TVD. RCF had Torsen LSD as base and TVD was part of the optional carbon/TVD package.

Love to hear David's thoughts on the performance, especially how he thinks all it would take to catch up with an RC F Track Edition (stock, anyway) would be some better brakes and tires. Too bad about the transmission though. I hope it'll be fine on the street with spirited driving.
The chassis/suspension stiffness is another thing he mentioned that is different. Their VIR lap times are notorious for highly inconsistent since they use different drivers for many cars and different drivers over the years. At least, MT uses pro driver Randy Pobst for all of their laps.

VIR was the only place where LFA was almost 6 seconds slower than the 458 Italia. The LFA owner Roy Mallady was very upset (I spoke with him). There is no other track where RCF and RCF TE are 3 seconds apart. All of the other tracks, the difference is 1/10th of a second at Mendig Airforce base to 1.5 seconds around Saschensring Germany. Also, the RCF TE was on better PS4S tires as opposed to the PSS tires on RCF (I have had both and the PS4S are much better than the OEM OSS mine had).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-09-22 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-09-22, 09:24 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The GSF had only TVD. RCF had Torsen LSD as base and TVD was part of the optional carbon/TVD package.

The chassis/suspension stiffness is another thing he mentioned that is different. Their VIR lap times are notorious for highly inconsistent since they use different drivers for many cars and different drivers over the years. At least, MT uses pro driver Randy Pobst for all of their laps.

VIR was the only place where LFA was almost 6 seconds slower than the 458 Italia. The LFA owner Roy Mallady was very upset (I spoke with him). There is no other track where RCF and RCF TE are 3 seconds apart. All of the other tracks, the difference is 1/10th of a second at Mendig Airforce base to 1.5 seconds around Saschensring Germany. Also, the RCF TE was on better PS4S tires as opposed to the PSS tires on RCF (I have had both and the PS4S are much better than the OEM OSS mine had).
Good info, thanks.

So I want to emphasize that the "getting close to the TE" does not mean the 500 will be better to drive or more capable than the TE... Any reasonable person would say the TE will have more potential thanks to lighter weight and better aero. However, that the 500 can achieve a relatively similar number with less-aggressive setup is nice to see. In my mind, LL is a flawed test, but it shows at least what ballpark of performance these cars live in, relative to one another...
on VIR.

That's another thing - VIR is but one track. Cars that do well at VIR may not be the best at Laguna Seca, and vice versa. Laguna has far fewer high speed sections and is much shorter. This means brakes and tires will be far less taxed than on VIR. This levels the playing field a bit more for less-track-focused tire and brake setups, but I still think good aero goes a long way at Laguna, particularly for that fast corner right before the final corner.

Last edited by arentz07; 02-09-22 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-09-22, 11:09 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Definitely, all tracks are technically different. The only point I was raising was, Randy Pobst at least makes it more comparable since the driver skill/style is a constant factor. Somehow, C&D uses a different pool of drivers and they vary from year to year. Their lap times all over the place where a Mustang GT is faster than all-out exotic supercars.

Not sure why the transmission was overheating as with the cooler in the IS500, it never overheats lap after lap in the case of RCF or GSF. The software programming is different for the RCF/GSF, but hardware is all the same (unless the cooling system installed in the press car is different).

Good info, thanks.

So I want to emphasize that the "getting close to the TE" does not mean the 500 will be better to drive or more capable than the TE... Any reasonable person would say the TE will have more potential thanks to lighter weight and better aero. However, that the 500 can achieve a relatively similar number with less-aggressive setup is nice to see. In my mind, LL is a flawed test, but it shows at least what ballpark of performance these cars live in, relative to one another...
on VIR.

That's another thing - VIR is but one track. Cars that do well at VIR may not be the best at Laguna Seca, and vice versa. Laguna has far fewer high speed sections and is much shorter. This means brakes and tires will be far less taxed than on VIR. This levels the playing field a bit more for less-track-focused tire and brake setups, but I still think good aero goes a long way at Laguna, particularly for that fast corner right before the final corner.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-10-22 at 12:55 PM.
arentz07 (02-09-22)
Old 02-19-22, 10:52 PM
m335
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Definitely, all tracks are technically different. The only point I was raising was, Randy Pobst at least makes it more comparable since the driver skill/style is a constant factor. Somehow, C&D uses a different pool of drivers and they vary from year to year. Their lap times all over the place where a Mustang GT is faster than all-out exotic supercars.

Not sure why the transmission was overheating as with the cooler in the IS500, it never overheats lap after lap in the case of RCF or GSF. The software programming is different for the RCF/GSF, but hardware is all the same (unless the cooling system installed in the press car is different).
In C&D test both RCF and GSF has similar track time so we have 2 different data points that are indicating where these cars are on VIR lap. IS500 is for sure faster than GSF and RCF only biased person will question that argument. Anyone can try to bend truth for their own gain but it can not be changed and is absolute. Regarding transmission they put tiny cooler on IS500 core us much smaller than other F cars. You can simply put bigger core and there will not be any issues. Also not sure why there is false information that tuning is different for IS500 trans. It is not it is absolutely same hardware and software as F cars no change in this application.
The following 2 users liked this post by m335:
arentz07 (02-20-22), Carolina50 (02-19-22)
Old 02-20-22, 06:31 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by m335
In C&D test both RCF and GSF has similar track time so we have 2 different data points that are indicating where these cars are on VIR lap. IS500 is for sure faster than GSF and RCF only biased person will question that argument. Anyone can try to bend truth for their own gain but it can not be changed and is absolute. Regarding transmission they put tiny cooler on IS500 core us much smaller than other F cars. You can simply put bigger core and there will not be any issues. Also not sure why there is false information that tuning is different for IS500 trans. It is not it is absolutely same hardware and software as F cars no change in this application.
This is true, not sure how I overlooked that when I read the post before. I have seen no evidence to suggest the control units and/or programming are different. On video, at the very least, the IS 500 seems to bang off shifts in the same was as an RC F would, not to mention, I don't know why Lexus would bother creating a new calibration for this car, adding cost in the process. They've made it clear this was a one-off request for North America and haven't put quite as much engineering time in as if this was a true F car.
m335 (02-20-22)
Old 02-20-22, 08:09 AM
m335
Rookie

This is true, not sure how I overlooked that when I read the post before. I have seen no evidence to suggest the control units and/or programming are different. On video, at the very least, the IS 500 seems to bang off shifts in the same was as an RC F would, not to mention, I don't know why Lexus would bother creating a new calibration for this car, adding cost in the process. They've made it clear this was a one-off request for North America and haven't put quite as much engineering time in as if this was a true F car.
exactly, lexus didn't want spend money and time to change anything. It's a parts bin car with limited production. In many ways this car is very similar to GSF as it is built on same N line arch. and pretty much everything underneath car is same GSF . We all know GSF performed better than RC even with 100lbs weight disadvantage. IS500 is lighter GSF so it is faster than both F cars because it gets better chassis of GSF and newer engine tune of latest RCF in lighter car.
Old 02-20-22, 02:09 PM
Unable
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The Lexus is500f is a great daily driver. We love ours

It is not a sports car tho. It’s a “sporty” sedan
The following 2 users liked this post by Unable:
arentz07 (02-22-22), m335 (02-20-22)
Old 02-20-22, 02:18 PM
m335
Rookie

Originally Posted by Unable

Totally agree with you. Other than LFA all other performance cars Lexus made are GT car and fall in the same category all are behind c43/m340i which are considered sporty street cars not focused sports car for fastest lap times.
Old 02-20-22, 03:12 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Unable

I love it for how it’s the reason I pay only about $1000/year on insurance through GEICO for full coverage. They didn’t care it had a V8, just that it had 4 doors. Same insurance cost as a IS300. In that way IS300 owners are paying for our insurance. Haha can’t complain.

Though it’s not classified as a sports car it’s really really close. Lowering springs, some braces, and the coolers and it has all it needs to compete with the big boys.
natnut (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 03:45 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Not Bad for a Non-F Car

Car and Driver Lightning Lap :
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/

LC500 2018 3:04.8
IS500 2022 3:04.9
ISF 2011 3:05.4