IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 oil change interval?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-22 | 02:33 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Cool

This thread is all over the place LoL

So quick recap..

The V6 IS 350 or most IS variants were moved to a 10,000 mile / 12 months oil change since it was moved to the OEM recommended 0w20 synthetic oil.

_
  • 2UR-GSE - V8

The MY22 IS 500 takes Conventional oil 5w30 and only 9.1 Qts w/Filter

All of this is sitting in your glove box - I promise

“Warranty & Service Guide” + Owners Manual for fluid numbers.

The first scheduled Complimentary “Free Maintenance” is 30 days or 1,000 miles. Basically a free inspection check list and make sure nothing is falling off.. j/k

The second scheduled Complimentary “Free Maintenance” is 6 months or 5,000 miles.
Basically the first oil change and list of necessary inspections.

From there your on your own with Lexus Recommendation of conventional 5w30 oil, changing the oil & filter every 5,000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first..

For me 5,000 miles knocked out pretty quickly with 400 miles a week, pre Covid..

Since Covid my garage queen now sees minimal drive time.. I’ve since moved to a synthetic oil at 180k miles and will only change it every 12 months.. Lucky if it sees 1-2k miles a year going forward…

At 3 years / 36k miles you’re looking at changing the engine air filter and cabin filter..

At 6 years / 60k miles your adding in the fluid service change for the Torsen LSD differential fluid..

Glance the books and you’ll see you may need other wear & tear items changed after measurements like brake pads & tires..

Hope this helps.!!

Joe Z

Originally Posted by Joe Z

The IS 500 Oil Filter is the same as IS F / RC F / GS F

Since 2008

Part# 04152-51010

I also added a magnetic drain plug recently

___

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-09-22 at 02:50 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Joe Z:
arentz07 (02-09-22), IssaV8 (03-25-22), lobuxracer (02-09-22), macmaster (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22 | 02:55 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

So quick recap..

The V6 IS 350 or most IS variants were moved to a 10,000 mile / 12 months oil change since it was moved to the OEM recommended 0w20 synthetic oil.

_
  • 2UR-GSE - V8

The first scheduled Complimentary “Free Maintenance” is 30 days or 1,000 miles. Basically a free inspection check list and make sure nothing is falling off.. j/k

The second scheduled Complimentary “Free Maintenance” is 6 months or 5,000 miles.

From there your on your own with Lexus Recommendation of conventional 5w30 oil, changing the oil & filter every 5,000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first..

For me 5,000 miles knocked out pretty quickly with 400 miles a week, pre Covid..

Since Covid my garage queen now sees minimal drive time.. I’ve since moved to a synthetic oil at 180k miles and will only change it every 12 months.. Lucky if it sees 1-2k miles a year going forward…

At 3 years / 36k miles you’re looking at changing the engine air filter and cabin filter..

At 6 years / 60k miles your adding in the fluid service change for the Torsen LSD differential fluid..

Glance the books and you’ll see you may need other wear & tear items changed after measurements like brake pads & tires..

Hope this helps.!!

Joe Z
There he is. First, how do you know the first free maintenance has to be the 1k mile/1 month service? I'm not sure this is true since as some have said, some dealerships don't even know about that one. Second, do you know if the car comes delivered with conventional 5W-30 or synthetic 5W-30 oil? If it's conventional I'd definitely come in at 6 months even if I didn't have 5k miles, but if it's synthetic I feel like it would be reasonable to stretch it to 8 months or year or whenever I actually hit 5000 miles (warranty denial concerns aside).

It would be so easy to sort this out with a service department, if only they ever answered their phones or called customers back.
Old 02-09-22 | 03:06 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

People could do used oil analyses to get some data on types of oil and longevity. On my Subaru, I was surprised by how much life good quality oil still had in it even if I went to 5,000 to 7,000 miles between changes.
The following users liked this post:
redhunter (07-22-22)
Old 02-09-22 | 03:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by macmaster
There he is. First, how do you know the first free maintenance has to be the 1k mile/1 month service? I'm not sure this is true since as some have said, some dealerships don't even know about that one. Second, do you know if the car comes delivered with conventional 5W-30 or synthetic 5W-30 oil? If it's conventional I'd definitely come in at 6 months even if I didn't have 5k miles, but if it's synthetic I feel like it would be reasonable to stretch it to 8 months or year or whenever I actually hit 5000 miles (warranty denial concerns aside).

It would be so easy to sort this out with a service department, if only they ever answered their phones or called customers back.

The 2UR-GSE / V8 has been coming with conventional 5w30 since 2008.. No where in the FSM - factory service manual have they suggested or recommend the use of Synthetic oil.

This is purely an owner’s decision at this point.

Well I would be perplexed if inside your glove box the printed Warranty & Service guide is not there or missing…

Online none of the MY22 service or warranty manuals have been uploaded yet…!!

For reference here on the pages straight out the manual for the 2021 RC F.

__

__

__

Joe Z
The following 3 users liked this post by Joe Z:
Brandonfu (02-09-22), giS (04-19-22), macmaster (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22 | 03:55 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by arentz07
Perhaps your dealer would do that. But my old dealer back in KC never charged me on the complimentary visits.
Nice dealer then!! Our GS, ES, RX and LS do not require oil changes at 5k/6 months so the inspection was complementary, the oil change was not. The oil change at 10k/1 year was complementary. /shrug
Old 02-09-22 | 04:01 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 95bat
Nice dealer then!! Our GS, ES, RX and LS do not require oil changes at 5k/6 months so the inspection was complementary, the oil change was not. The oil change at 10k/1 year was complementary. /shrug
Was the 1k mile service a thing back then?

Maybe the 1k mile service is a V8 thing because they don't want to give a way 2 "free" oil changes?
Old 02-09-22 | 04:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Question Where are your manuals..??

Was the 1k mile service a thing back then?

Maybe the 1k mile service is a V8 thing because they don't want to give a way 2 "free" oil changes?

The 1,000 miles is just an inspection, that has been around the last 20 plus years…

It’s a free inspection and also used to set up any LPS items you could not do on your own..

30 Days or 1,000 Miles Complimentary First Scheduled Maintenance Service
Inspect body/chassis
Inspect brake fluid
Check for fluid leaks
Inspect steering gear box
Inspect wiper blades
Check installation of driver's floor mat
Road test vehicle
Program Lexus Personalized Settings

What are Lexus Personalized Settings?
Your vehicle includes a variety of electronic features that can be programmed to your preferences.
For example, doors can be programmed to remain locked when you shift into "Park." (For more information, see the "Customizable Features" section of the Specifications chapter in your Owner's Manual.)
Programming of these features is performed once at no charge, provided you obtain the service at
the 30-day/1,000-mile scheduled maintenance service. Programming of some Lexus Personalized Settings requires special equipment and may be performed only by an authorized Lexus dealership.

Joe Z
The following 3 users liked this post by Joe Z:
Cleofizoid (04-08-22), giS (04-19-22), lobuxracer (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22 | 04:18 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

The 1,000 miles is just an inspection, that has been around the last 20 plus years…

It’s a free inspection and also used to set up any LPS items you could not do on your own..

Alrighty, so if it’s been a thing on every car for the past 20 years, how have so many people including the poster above gotten a free 10k/1 year service and oil change? I’m 99% leaning towards just playing dumb and getting free services at 5k/6mo and 10k/12mo.
Old 02-09-22 | 04:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Alrighty, so if it’s been a thing on every car for the past 20 years, how have so many people including the poster above gotten a free 10k/1 year service and oil change? I’m 99% leaning towards just playing dumb and getting free services at 5k/6mo and 10k/12mo.
Simple Response…

He had newer Lexus vehicles that used the new 0w20 synthetic oil change intervals…
12 months / 10,000 miles…

Which ever came first

No OCI by Lexus are ever changed at 1,000 miles or anything outside of the vehicle interval specs unless the owner insists..

Joe Z
giS (04-19-22)
Old 02-09-22 | 06:11 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

So quick recap..

_
  • 2UR-GSE - V8

Hope this helps.!!

Joe Z
The engine air filter is 30k, 36 months. But the cabin filter is 10k, 12 months per the owners manual. Also, for some reason, the IS500 seems to not have a warranty and maintenance manual. It makes no sense whatsoever. Also, thank you for the correction on the conventional. I was peeing into the wind on that statement and it looks like the wind was blowing in my face. I do however think we should verify the whole free maintenances thing. Take an IS350 for example. It too also shows the 1K, 5K, and 10K services. Yet the 5K and 10K are the free ones. I see no reason for the 5K and 10K not being the free ones on the IS500…
wthrman2 (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22 | 06:17 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
The engine air filter is 30k, 36 months. But the cabin filter is 10k, 12 months per the owners manual. Also, for some reason, the IS500 seems to not have a warranty and maintenance manual. It makes no sense whatsoever. Also, thank you for the correction on the conventional. I was peeing into the wind on that statement and it looks like the wind was blowing in my face. I do however think we should verify the whole free maintenances thing. Take an IS350 for example. It too also shows the 1K, 5K, and 10K services. Yet the 5K and 10K are the free ones. I see no reason for the 5K and 10K not being the free ones on the IS500…
It would make no sense as when you look at the first OCI for the IS 350 it’s 10K miles / 12 months..

As stated none of the MY22 service and warranty manuals are online yet..

I am still waiting for any IS 500 owner to open their glove box and see what’s inside..

Joe Z
Old 02-09-22 | 06:22 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

It would make no sense as when you look at the first OCI for the IS 350 it’s 10K miles / 12 months..

As stated none of the MY22 service and warranty manuals are online yet..

I am still waiting for any IS 500 owner to open their glove box and see what’s inside..

Joe Z
The IS300 and 350 manuals are out. And realistically a cabin filter change will be the same on a 4 cylinder as on a W16 for all it matters lol. So that will not be different. I get what you’re saying about the first oil change, but who’s to say Lexus won’t pay for two oil changes? The terms say 1 year, 10k miles, two services. It doesn’t necessarily say 1 oil change. If Lexus designed a vehicle that requires two oil changes in those 10k, I see no reason for them to not pay for it
Old 02-09-22 | 06:27 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

I took one for the team and checked out the Service manual in my glovebox. Color me even more confused!

First it says the 5k and 10k mile is complimentary. Absolutely no mention of 1k mile service. But on one page, the oil change isn’t listed under the first 5k service. On the summary page, however, it is! Lastly, every page lists 0W-20 which I’m assuming is synthetic, not 5W-30. Check it out for yourself. The drama continues!

TipsyTonio (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22 | 06:34 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

I took one for the team and checked out the Service manual in my glovebox. Color me even more confused!

First it says the 5k and 10k mile is complimentary. Absolutely no mention of 1k mile service. But on one page, the oil change isn’t listed under the first 5k service. On the summary page, however, it is! Lastly, every page lists 0W-20 which I’m assuming is synthetic, not 5W-30. Check it out for yourself. The drama continues!

Lmao maybe that’s why the digital versions aren’t out. It’s a major screw up lol. In the second picture they mention 6 months, 5k miles twice. And then the 0W-20 is just outright stupid. The way I see it, if you put 0W-20 and ruin your engine (which I doubt it really would), you got legal basis to sue lol. Thanks for checking and somewhat ending the drama. I don’t think even Lexus knows what’s up

This is not to say you should put 0W-20 though! The owners manual says 5W-30 under the specs category

Last edited by TipsyTonio; 02-09-22 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-09-22 | 06:38 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

I called my service dept in the morning to ask what the correct maintenance for the IS 500 is, had to leave a message, and they never called me back. Now I realize I don’t even think they’d know the answer. *sigh* another drawback of early adoption. I’m hoping one of the guys who bought the car around the time I did or before can get an oil change when their time comes and let us know, so I don’t have to be the guinea pig. Until then, I suspect this thread will just have to suffer in wait lol.

Quick Reply: IS500 oil change interval?