IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 oil change interval?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-22, 06:40 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
I called my service dept in the morning to ask what the correct maintenance for the IS 500 is, had to leave a message, and they never called me back. Now I realize I don’t even think they’d know the answer. *sigh* another drawback of early adoption. I’m hoping one of the guys who bought the car around the time I did or before can get an oil change and let us know. Until then this thread will just have to suffer and wait lol.
Well someone earlier posted that they got told 10k miles, and that we know for sure is not right…. So I’m not too sure they’ll be much help. The only thing I can think of is checking TIS, or waiting for a revision of the book
Old 02-09-22, 06:50 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

The owners manual does say to use 5W-30 for the IS500 specifically, so they got that right at least. That would make the service booklet wrong.

Old 02-09-22, 07:03 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I took one for the team and checked out the Service manual in my glovebox. Color me even more confused!

First it says the 5k and 10k mile is complimentary. Absolutely no mention of 1k mile service. But on one page, the oil change isn’t listed under the first 5k service. On the summary page, however, it is! Lastly, every page lists 0W-20 which I’m assuming is synthetic, not 5W-30. Check it out for yourself. The drama continues!

Well clearly it’s FULL of typos… SMH

Great work taking out the manual..!!

@macmaster If you trust anything I’ve mentioned to you, your first OCI is 5,000 miles or 6 months with 5w30…

Dealerships are independently owned, most techs doing LOF are usually entry level teams..

@TipsyTonio I have attached the MY21 IS 300 / IS 350 service PDF.. As noted using 0w20 oil which only comes in synthetic..!!

Clearly the IS 500 does not take anything besides 5w30 as seen on engine oil cap itself..

Many IS F / RC F / GS F owners have run into issues when getting their basic oil changed at the dealerships..

Not limited but including tire rotations and under filled oil..
Rare but it has happened..

Joe Z

My interpretation is the following summarized:

Cars with a 5k OCI come in for the 1,000 free inspection and the free 5k service..

Cars with a 10k OCI come for the 5,000 free inspection and the free 10k service..

I’m also adding the MY21 RC F “Service Manual” as more visual reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-MMS-21IS300350.pdf (750.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: pdf
L-MMS-21RCF.pdf (1.05 MB, 32 views)

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-09-22 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added in RC F
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Z:
Brandonfu (04-13-22), macmaster (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 07:09 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Well clearly it’s FULL of typos… SMH

Great work taking out the manual..!!

@macmaster If you trust anything I’ve mentioned to you, your first OCI is 5,000 miles or 6 months with 5w30…

Dealerships are independently owned, most techs doing LOF are usually entry level teams..

@TipsyTonio I have attached the MY21 IS 300 / IS 350 service PDF.. As noted using 0w20 oil which only comes in synthetic..!!

Clearly the IS 500 does not take anything besides 5w30 as seen on engine oil cap itself..

Many IS F / RC F / GS F owners have run into issues when getting their basic oil changed at the dealerships..

Not limited but including tire rotations and under filled oil..
Rare but it has happened..

Joe Z
Oh I don’t need it. I know what my car takes and when it takes it. I have the 2022 book printed and digitally without typos lol. And I agree to not use 0W-20 in a 500. All I said was that if you did, and you mess up your engine, given the book Macmaster posted, I see legal grounds for Lexus to replace your engine at their cost as you followed their mess of a book. I also don’t think anyone has EVER challenged that the 500s interval is 5k, 6 months. You believe Lexus will only pay for their 5k oil change, not their 10k oil. I believe otherwise. If Lexus considered the 1k and 5k services as your free services they would promote the service plan as a 5k, 6 month plan. Not as a 10k, 1 year plan. But I guess we can pin it and find out in 11 months when most owners will be going in for their 10k service, whether or not they paid for it

I think I just found the official Lexus article that settles pretty much everything that was discussed in this thread.

They cover the 5k and 10k service. No mention of a 1k service in this plan. The asterisk also says that non synthetic (conventional) oil cars require oil changes every 5k miles as is the case with the IS500

Last edited by TipsyTonio; 02-09-22 at 07:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
giS (04-06-22), macmaster (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 07:27 PM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

Dang, I'm usually one to preach RTFM. Didn't realize the 2UR ran dino oil. Guess I'm going back a few years lol.
The following users liked this post:
Brandonfu (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 07:46 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zman21
Dang, I'm usually one to preach RTFM. Didn't realize the 2UR ran dino oil. Guess I'm going back a few years lol.
TMFR (the manual is f-ing rong) LOL.
TipsyTonio (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 10:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

This is what's in the service manual:

No requirement for synthetic. Very few have experienced underfilling, most have (like me) experienced overfilling. The wife's GS F was 1 1/2 inches ABOVE the top dot on the dipstick after getting the oil to temperature, and letting it sit for 5 minutes before checking while on a level surface (which is also in the FSM as the correct way to check the oil).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...k-service.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...il-change.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...k-service.html

Like so many other forums, there's a lot of BS about OCI and oil testing. There is a massive thread in the RC F forum addressing many of the issues related to oil choices and why. A now quiet member gave a full readout on the Blackstone reports I posted in that thread, and I have adopted the OEM spec for OCI for both F cars in the garage using Renewable Lubricants SHP PCMO 5w-30. The results on the GS F are stellar compared to the IS F. And while Daniel has a good point about Blackstone not being a credentialed lab, the mass spec numbers they give are pretty reliable. It's kind of hard to screw up mass spec if you have even a half a clue what you are doing. If you go to the IS F forum and the GS F forum, you can see the entire Blackstone history of both my F cars.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-09-22 at 10:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Joe Z (04-05-22), wthrman2 (04-07-22)
Old 02-09-22, 10:29 PM
BChoCRNA
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

What type of 5w-30 are you guys planning to use? Good ole TM?
Old 04-04-22, 09:19 AM
GeoFSPORT
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

To add another reference point, I asked about the 2 covered service visits when picking up my car from JM Lexus yesterday. Salesman was not familiar given the 1000 mile check, so he confirmed with the service department that the 1000 and 5000 mile services would only be covered. This isn't my local dealer so it may differ when i take the car in locally
Brandonfu (04-04-22)
Old 04-06-22, 05:17 PM
giS
Intermediate

Received 670 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Well, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Even though the app shows the 1k service, no service department will ever tell you to actually bring it in by then. They swear by the 5k and 10k being your first services. To my understanding, even if you take it in at the 1k, it will not count as one of your free services. However, should you dealer say otherwise, my suggestion to you is to pay for the 1k service so that your 10k which is an oil change and cabin filter change will be free. A 10k, depending on dealer can be anywhere from $140-$200, whereas the 1k inspection truthfully should never exceed $50, if that. In my case in a 350, my 5k services are basically pointless since I change oil at 10k, and I can't rotate my tires at 5k, so my dealer already told me that they don't charge for my 5k inspections. It might be worth asking.
you're spot on
wthrman2 (04-06-22)
Old 04-13-22, 08:58 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

Getting my 1st oil change at the Lexus dealer over the weekend I am supplying my own oil:

macmaster (04-13-22)
Old 04-13-22, 09:16 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Moonman89
Getting my 1st oil change at the Lexus dealer over the weekend I am supplying my own oil:
Is it cheaper to do this? How much does the dealership charge for their own equivalent oil?

Edit: Wait, I forgot the first two oil changes at Lexus are free lol. Why would you do this?
Old 04-13-22, 09:39 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Is it cheaper to do this? How much does the dealership charge for their own equivalent oil?

Edit: Wait, I forgot the first two oil changes at Lexus are free lol. Why would you do this?
Technically, it's the first two service visits. So if you do the 1,000 mile visit, only one will be covered.

I've personally never done this either; I always trust (perhaps to a fault) that they are going to use Toyota genuine or equivalent oil.
Old 04-13-22, 01:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Technically, it's the first two service visits. So if you do the 1,000 mile visit, only one will be covered.

I've personally never done this either; I always trust (perhaps to a fault) that they are going to use Toyota genuine or equivalent oil.
They buy oil in bulk from whomever has it cheap. Don't count on it being done correctly. Many owners have had 0w-20 instead of 5w-30, and they've had way too much oil in the engine after dealership's "free" service. The oil change at 5k miles was the last oil change Lexus did on the wife's GS F, and they overfilled it by more than an inch on the dipstick. While it's only one oil change, if you are a dealership maintenance person, you could significantly shorten the service life of your engine running oil that is too light.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
arentz07 (04-13-22), Brandonfu (04-13-22)
Old 04-13-22, 01:06 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They buy oil in bulk from whomever has it cheap. Don't count on it being done correctly. Many owners have had 0w-20 instead of 5w-30, and they've had way too much oil in the engine after dealership's "free" service. The oil change at 5k miles was the last oil change Lexus did on the wife's GS F, and they overfilled it by more than an inch on the dipstick. While it's only one oil change, if you are a dealership maintenance person, you could significantly shorten the service life of your engine running oil that is too light.
Yikes, ok. That is true the 5.0's have a different oil from most other engines in Lexus cars, so there is the risk of it getting mixed up. Good point!

Quick Reply: IS500 oil change interval?