IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 oil change interval?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-22, 06:32 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Is it cheaper to do this? How much does the dealership charge for their own equivalent oil?

Edit: Wait, I forgot the first two oil changes at Lexus are free lol. Why would you do this?
This was my 1st oil change which was free. However, I had to pay for my own oil which is ok because my local Lexus dealers either carry bulk or Mobil1. For as long as I own my IS500 I am sticking with Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30.
Old 04-19-22, 08:33 AM
pprj
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They buy oil in bulk from whomever has it cheap. Don't count on it being done correctly. Many owners have had 0w-20 instead of 5w-30, and they've had way too much oil in the engine after dealership's "free" service. The oil change at 5k miles was the last oil change Lexus did on the wife's GS F, and they overfilled it by more than an inch on the dipstick. While it's only one oil change, if you are a dealership maintenance person, you could significantly shorten the service life of your engine running oil that is too light.

Wow,
So we can't trust Lexus to do not even an oil change correctly?
The following 2 users liked this post by pprj:
Brandonfu (04-19-22), jch217 (03-31-23)
Old 04-19-22, 08:40 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ Some dealers will get it right but some may not. It only takes a few minutes to just re-iterate to the service advisor the specifics about your car to ensure there is no misunderstanding. They are often being pushed to get cars in/out and at times, some dealers have junior apprentice doing the oil change and they may not be as aware about our cars thinking an IS is an IS. I always have a grocery list of things when I get my car done, don't lube doors, don't change tire pressure, don't wash it, so what's an extra item on that list (lol)
Old 04-19-22, 12:00 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 278 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonman89
This was my 1st oil change which was free. However, I had to pay for my own oil which is ok because my local Lexus dealers either carry bulk or Mobil1. For as long as I own my IS500 I am sticking with Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30.
Wait, so this engine can take synthetic? I was under the impression that it is conventional.
Old 04-19-22, 12:22 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by Renault
Wait, so this engine can take synthetic? I was under the impression that it is conventional.
Is there any reason you would want to use conventional instead of synthetic other than cost? I'd probably just use synthetic if it were my car.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
Brandonfu (04-19-22), wthrman2 (04-19-22)
Old 04-19-22, 12:28 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

There is a belief that because the 2UR GSE was developed on conventional, that it only can use conventional, but I know people have used synthetic on their 2UR GSE no problem.

My plan is to use the free stuff from Lexus at 6 months and 12 months no matter my mileage. Whether they use dino oil or synthetic doesn't matter to me sincesince I'll be changing at 6 months (it must be 5W-30 though). Then going forward I'll switch to synthetic at the 18 month mark and get it changed every 5000 miles (which should be ~1 year for me).
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
arentz07 (04-20-22), wthrman2 (04-19-22)
Old 04-19-22, 03:15 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 278 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Is there any reason you would want to use conventional instead of synthetic other than cost? I'd probably just use synthetic if it were my car.
I would prefer synthetic, but wasn't sure from the thread if you could or if it was supposed to only take conventional. But if it can take synthetic I'll definitely go that route
Old 04-20-22, 04:24 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts

I would prefer synthetic, but wasn't sure from the thread if you could or if it was supposed to only take conventional. But if it can take synthetic I'll definitely go that route
I switched to syn and according to the UOA, results have been great.
Old 04-20-22, 06:54 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

The only time I've heard of people who strictly use dyno oil instead of synthetic is in hot rods where they're putting other additives in and change the oil so frequently they don't spend extra on synthetic.

As for our cars.... I think I'm going to go synthetic if the car will be ok with yearly oil changes since I only drive ~5k a year.
Old 04-20-22, 07:33 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Both of my F cars have been on synthetic immediately after the OEM oil change. One has over 190k miles, the other is at 95k miles. Both of them have their records from Blackstone posted on Club Lexus in their appropriate forums.
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
arentz07 (04-20-22), GeoFSPORT (04-20-22), wthrman2 (04-20-22)
Old 04-20-22, 07:44 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ Thanks for confirming that synthetic 5W-30 can be used instead of conventional 5W-30. I am still not sure if it is worth the extra cost given the short oil change interval but I will assess when I get to that point
Old 04-20-22, 09:17 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Both of my F cars have been on synthetic immediately after the OEM oil change. One has over 190k miles, the other is at 95k miles. Both of them have their records from Blackstone posted on Club Lexus in their appropriate forums.
To save from searching for those, I'm assuming thr labs come back good? What is your oil change schedule like?
Old 04-20-22, 10:47 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Technically, it's the first two service visits. So if you do the 1,000 mile visit, only one will be covered.

I've personally never done this either; I always trust (perhaps to a fault) that they are going to use Toyota genuine or equivalent oil.
This was already disproven a few pages back. Lexus themselves say your free services are 5k and 10k and cars that require conventional oil, like the IS500, get oil changes every 5k. It is on their dedicated page about the maintenance program.
Old 04-20-22, 11:25 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
To save from searching for those, I'm assuming thr labs come back good? What is your oil change schedule like?
The IS F has been through a wide range of OCIs. Longest was 14k miles. The GS F has been on a 5k OCI from jump, and now the IS F is on the same schedule using Renewable Lubricants SHP PCMO 5w-30. I send the oil from both for analysis with every oil change. The IS F shows significantly more iron wear compared to the GS F. Iron tracks with mileage, but the GS F shows a typical 4 ppm on a 5k OCI where the IS F shows a typical 12 ppm. I stopped the long runs because I didn't want the iron level as high as it was getting on the 10k and 14k OCIs; iron is abrasive and it's better for long term health to keep it reasonably low. The GS F is ridiculously low. I've never had any engine with iron counts as low as it produces.

IS F https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-uoa-here.html

GS F https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-uoa-here.html

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-20-22 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-20-22, 11:58 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts

The IS F has been through a wide range of OCIs. Longest was 14k miles. The GS F has been on a 5k OCI from jump, and now the IS F is on the same schedule using Renewable Lubricants SHP PCMO 5w-30. I send the oil from both for analysis with every oil change. The IS F shows significantly more iron wear compared to the GS F. Iron tracks with mileage, but the GS F shows a typical 4 ppm on a 5k OCI where the IS F shows a typical 12 ppm. I stopped the long runs because I didn't want the iron level as high as it was getting on the 10k and 14k OCIs; iron is abrasive and it's better for long term health to keep it reasonably low. The GS F is ridiculously low. I've never had any engine with iron counts as low as it produces.

IS F https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-uoa-here.html

GS F https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-uoa-here.html
Same engine so why does the ISF have higher iron? Because it's older or were there some other changes to the engine?

Quick Reply: IS500 oil change interval?